Back at Work

Counting the Days

Minseok didn’t sleep terribly well since getting comfortable and staying that way seemed to be a challenge.  He pulled himself into his chair and wheeled himself out, wincing as he did.  The first things he saw were Chanyeol and Baekhyun sitting at the table with cups of coffee, looking like death had claimed them in the night.

“Has the zombie apocalypse began?” Minseok chuckled.  Five pairs of eyes looked over at them, two of them not amused.

“No, but rest assured if you ever became a zombie i would be the first to shoot you in the head,” Chanyeol replied.  Minseok shrugged and shook his head.  He didn’t doubt it.  Kyungsoo was being a busy body in the kitchen and Minseok looked confused.

“Did you stay over too Kyungsoo?” Minseok asked curiously.

“No, but I decided since everyone was over here anyway to make breakfast here,” Kyungsoo replied simply.  He placed the food in the center of the table and everyone started to help themselves.  Luhan helped Minseok with a smile and Minseok just smiled back.  Everyone ate and chatted, mostly about what they thought Owner was going to make Minseok do.  Towards the end of the meal Luhan got up and came back with a pill bottle. He handed it to Minseok and Minseok took it with a small smile.  He opened the bottle and took two of the absurdly large yellow pills.  

When breakfast was over the group parted ways to get ready for work.  Minseok tried to do everything himself and managed pretty well, but it was exhausting.  They all met in the hall, Luhan noticeably nervous.  Minseok gave him a reassuring smile.  Luhan smiled back and they all squished in the elevator.

“You know we could’ve done this in two trips,” Kyungsoo grumbled, not appreciating being shoved against the wall.

“Yeah, but then it would take that much longer,” Chanyeol replied.  Kyungsoo sighed and everyone nearly fell out of the elevator when it reached the bottom floor.  The store wasn’t that far from the complex so they all walked, Luhan pushing Minseok.  Minseok felt overwhelmingly stupid being pushed around in the wheel chair.  When they reached the shop Owner immediately rushed over.  She started with looking over Minseok and then looked over Luhan with a smile.

“Yes, you will do very well.  Call me Owner,” she said, holding her hand out to Luhan.  Luhan took it and shook it slightly.

“Luhan,” Luhan replied with a smile.  Owner smiled back and looked at the other boys.  

“Chanyeol, Baekhyun, get into your display outfits.  Kyungsoo you’re on restocking, and Jongdae you’re not suppose to be here today, what are you doing here?” Owner asked.

“I didn’t want to be stuck at home alone,” Jongdae replied with a shrug.  Owner sighed slightly and shook her head.

“Fine, you can help Luhan who is going to be in display case two.  Minseok, you’re on register, but call if you need any help,” Owner explained.  Everyone nodded and went to their places.  Minseok was always very good at register, so he didn’t have too many problems.  Doing it one handed served to be a challenge, but it wasn’t too bad.  At then end of the day Minseok was exhausted.  He was embarrassed at how tired he was, and he tried to hide it.  Working register was not that hard.  They all headed back, Jongdae pushing Minseok this time.  When they reached the elevator the landlord was there.

“I hope you’re not going to try to pull the stunt you did this morning.  We have rules you know,” he said with his arms crossed.

“Oh come on, it wasn’t that bad,” Chanyeol said.  The landlord just glared at him.  The landlord and Chanyeol didn’t really get along.

“Guys it’s fine.  I’ll just wait for the next one,” Minseok said.

“And I’ll stay with him,” Luhan added.  Chanyeol was still looking at the landlord, but Kyungsoo grabbed his arm and dragged him into the elevator.

“You didn’t have to stay,” Minseok said when he and Luhan were alone.

“Sure I did.  It wouldn’t be fair for you to have to wait all by yourself,” Luhan replied.  Minseok smiled slightly and Luhan pushed him into the elevator when it came back down.  They rode in silence and when they reached the fifth floor the doors opened.  The other four were standing in the hall, Chanyeol ing up a storm about the landlord.

“It’s really not the big of a deal,” Baekhyun said, most likely for the thousandth time.  Luhan pushed Minseok into the apartment, the others following.  Kyungsoo put on his green apron and went to the kitchen, starting to cook a late dinner.  Everyone else sat in the living room talking about work.  Luhan actually enjoyed it, but Chanyeol thought it was because Owner went easy on him since it was his first day.

When Kyungsoo finished dinner they all went to the kitchen and ate together.  Chanyeol continued to control the conversations, like he usually does.  When dinner was over Kyungsoo put away the leftovers, leaving some for Jongdae, Minseok, and Luhan while taking the rest back to their apartment.  Chanyeol and Baekhyun followed Kyungsoo out and the remaining three got ready for bed.  Luhan and Jongdae tried to help Minseok, but once again he turned down their assistance.  Luhan took his place on the couch, the other two in their rooms.

The next few weeks followed a pattern.  Minseok was finally able to get out of the sling, but he still used the wheel chair.  He wanted to use crutches, but the doctor told him not to strain his shoulder any more than he had to.  February passed quickly and one night when everyone was getting ready for bed Luhan heard something fall in Minseok’s room.  He rushed in and found Minseok on the floor.

“Minseok!  Are you okay?” Luhan asked, walking over.  He crouched down and put his hand on Minseok’s shoulder, but Minseok slapped it away.  ”Minseok…”

“No.  Just stop.  I can do this myself,” Minseok said.  He began to push himself up, but as soon as he moved his leg a certain way pain shot through his body.  He yelped slightly and fell back to the floor.  For a moment he just sat there before burying his face in his hands, crying.

“Minseok,” Luhan began, but didn’t know what else to say.  Minseok looked up at Luhan, tears streaming down his face.

“Why did this have to happen to me?” Minseok asked.  ”What did I do?”  Luhan just walked over and helped Minseok sit on the bed.  

“You didn’t do anything.  Sometimes these things just happen,” Luhan said quietly, sitting next to him.  He wrapped his arms around Minseok and held him as Minseok cried.

“This isn’t fair,” Minseok said between sobs.  Luhan rubbed Minseok’s shoulder, not knowing how to make it better.

“If I could make it go away I would,” Luhan said.

“Could you stay with me?” Minseok asked.

“Of course,” Luhan replied.  Both of them laid down, Luhan still holding Minseok.

“Thank you Luhan,” Minseok said.  Luhan smiled and kissed Minseok’s forehead.  Minseok looked up at him and reached up slightly, pressing his lips to Luhan’s.  Luhan was surprised at first, but kissed Minseok back.  It was a short, fairly innocent kiss.

“You’re welcome Minseok,” he replied.  Minseok smiled slightly and closed his eyes.  They both fell asleep in each other’s arms.