Going Home

Counting the Days

Minseok woke up early as he usually does to find Luhan gone.  He panicked slightly and sat up, looking around.  When the door opened Jongdae and Luhan walked in.  Luhan was wearing jeans and a simple gray v-neck shirt.  He was holding coffee and Jongdae was holding clothes.

“Good morning Minseok,” Luhan greeted with a smile.  Minseok smiled back.

“Morning.”

“Ready to go home?” Jongdae asked.

“Oh God yes,” Minseok replied.  Jongdae chuckled and walked over with the clothes.  Minseok was embarrassed, but he had to ask Jongdae help him put them on.  His street clothes felt so much better than the hospital gown.  He had to be wheeled out in a wheel chair since his arm was still in a sling and would be that way for a couple more days and even then he probably shouldn’t use the crutches right away.  Luhan and Jongdae helped him into the back of the car and then got into the two front seats.  Jongdae drove and Luhan looked out the window, looking like he was trying to remember something that just wasn’t coming.

“So I talked to Owner and she said that she’d be happy to give Luhan a job for however long he needs,” Jongdae said.  Both Luhan and Minseok looked at him in shock.

“How did you manage that?” Minseok asked.  Jongdae grinned and for a moment looked like he was debating whether to tell them.

“I showed her a picture of him,” Jongdae replied.  Minseok rolled his eyes and Luhan’s eyes grew wider to the point Minseok wasn’t sure if they were going to stay in his head.

“It’s not as bad as he makes it sound,” Minseok assured Luhan.  Luhan looked back at Minseok and smiled slightly, but it was a nervous smile.  The arrived at the apartment building and the two helped Minseok back into his wheel chair and into the elevator.  Minseok felt silly being wheeled around, but there wasn’t much he could do about it.  The rode the elevator and Jongdae pushed Minseok into the apartment.  It was cleaner that he remembered.  There were pillows and blankets on the couch, most likely for Luhan.

“I bought this weird chair thing for the shower for you.  I figured it would be a little weird to have us helping you shower,” Jongdae said with a nervous chuckle.  Minseok responded with his own nervous laugh.  ”We can go out shopping for clothes and stuff if you want tomorrow.  I took the day off.”  Jongdae was talking to Luhan now and Luhan nodded.

“That would be great.  The hospital gave me my wallet back and it had some money in it.  It didn’t have my ID in it though, which is kinda weird,” Luhan replied. Jongdae shrugged and Minseok tried to wheel himself to the bathroom.  ”Need help?”

“I’ll get there eventually,” Minseok replied.  His pride wouldn’t let him ask for help.  Luhan was about to say something, but Jongdae put his hand on his shoulder and shook his head.  Minseok managed to make his way to his room, grab a change of clothes, and then get to the bathroom.  Like all tasks it seemed, it was difficult to strip and get into the shower.  He felt stupid showering sitting down, but he couldn’t stand and he had to protect his leg cast.  There was no one to see, but he was still embarrassed.  He turned the water on as hot as he could stand it and just sat under the spray.  He let out a heavy sigh and cleaned himself off, washing the hospital off of his skin the best he could, before drying off and getting out.  He put on his clothes and wheeled himself out of the bathroom only to be greeted by everyone in the apartment.

“Welcome home!” Chanyeol shouted.  Minseok smiled and Baekhyun walked over, wheeling him further into the living room.  

“Your new friend is quite charming,” Baekhyun whispered with a smile.  Minseok looked over blinking as Baekhyun walked over to Chanyeol.  ”Could you not drink everything this time?”

“What?  I’m drinking my share and his.  He can’t have alcohol with his pain meds right?” Chanyeol replied filling his glass again with scotch.  Baekhyun rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

“Good thing we live in the same building,” Baekhyun muttered.  Everyone laughed and Kyungsoo walked into the kitchen.  ”He wouldn’t tell us what he was making, and I’m a mix of excited and concerned.  He’s been looking up very healthy recipes lately.”

“Healthy is not necessarily a bad thing you know,” Minseok pointed out.

“No, but it’s usually boring,” Chanyeol said.

“Come on guys, this is Kyungsoo we’re talking about.  That kid could cook a box and it would still be amazing,” Jongdae said.  

“I wish you all wouldn’t call me a kid,” Kyungsoo said, walking back into the living room.  Chanyeol grinned and wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo’s neck, leaning on him slightly.  Kyungsoo almost fell over, but found his footing quickly.

“Well, you’re still the youngest so you’re still a kid,” Chanyeol said.  Kyungsoo waved his hand in front of his face trying to get Chanyeol’s breath out of his breathing area.

“How many of those have you had already?” Baekhyun asked.  Chanyeol looked up and finished off the glass.

“Of scotch?  I think three,” Chanyeol replied.  Kyungsoo grabbed Chanyeol’s arm and moved it off of him, causing Chanyeol to almost fall over.  

“You’re drunk already?  Jesus Chanyeol,” Baekhyun complained.  

“I’m not drunk.  At least I’m pretty sure I’m not drunk,” Chanyeol answered before just bursting into laughter.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Jongdae said with a sigh.  Minseok laughed and Luhan wasn’t entirely sure what to do, so he just smiled politely.

“Dinner will be ready in a few.  Someone come and set the table,” Kyungsoo announced.

“I will take that responsibility,” Jongdae replied walking into the kitchen.  Kyungsoo followed him and Chanyeol grabbed the scotch bottle again.  Baekhyun took it from him and took a drink straight out of the bottle.

“Hey that’s mine!” Chanyeol whined.

“Well, I’m assuming you drank all of my alcohol in the apartment,” Baekhyun said before taking another drink.  Chanyeol pouted and tried to get the bottle back, but Baekhyun kept it away from him.

“Guys, come on, it’s dinner time,” Kyungsoo called out from the kitchen.  Chanyeol stopped chasing Baekhyun and walked into the kitchen.  Luhan pushed Minseok into the kitchen and Baekhyun hid the bottle before following.  Kyungsoo looked at the table of food, fairly proud of himself.  And much to Chanyeol’s and Baekhyun’s delight it wasn’t just green things.  Everyone sat in chairs around the table and chatted.  Chanyeol got a hold of more alcohol so he and Baekhyun apparently began an unofficial drinking contest.  Luhan helped Jongdae clean up the table and dishes while Kyungsoo packed away the left overs.  Minseok looked around, smiling despite feeling utterly useless.

“Minseok?  You still with us?”  Minseok looked over, not even realized he’d zoned out.  Luhan was looking at him curiously.  ”I asked if you needed anything.”

“No, not really,” Minseok replied.  He looked at the clock and didn’t even realize how late it had gotten.  ”I think I just want to go to bed.”

“Sounds like a plan, but what about them?” Luhan asked looking at Chanyeol and Baekhyun.  Both of them were passed out, heads on the table.

“I say we just leave them there.  They’re not hurting anyone,” Jongdae replied.  Luhan looked skeptical, but didn’t say anything.  He just went and grabbed two blankets, placing them on the two sleeping boys.  ”You’re too nice Luhan.”

“It’s still winter.  You don’t want to listen to them whine about how they’re hungover AND sick do you?” Luhan asked.

“You make a fair point,” Jongdae replied.  Minseok laughed and began to wheel himself to his bedroom.  Luhan looked over and began helping him without permission.  Minseok sighed and let him help.  He was tired and didn’t want to fight.  Luhan helped him into bed and smiled slightly.

“Goodnight Minseok,” Luhan whispered.

“Goodnight Luhan,” Minseok replied, smiling back slightly.  ”Tomorrow is my first day back at work and your first day working.  Are you excited?”

“Only if you are,” Luhan answered.  Minseok chuckled and tried to get comfortable, despite his aching shoulder and cast.  Luhan walked out, closing the door on his way.  Minseok closed his eyes and drifted off, Luhan the last image he saw in his mind.