Waking Up

Counting the Days

Minseok didn’t understand what was happening.  Everything hurt and there was shouting all around him.  He tried to open his eyes, but they just felt so heavy.  He could hear people calling out his name and saying other things, but he couldn’t make any of it out.  His head felt funny and he could feel something slipping away, but he didn’t know what it was.  The confusion and exhaustion overwhelmed him and suddenly he felt nothing.

Minseok woke again, the pain dulled some but it was still there.  He looked around and all he saw was white.  White walls, white curtains, white blankets.  Even the gown he was wearing was white.  He had no idea why he was here or why his best friend Jongdae was sleeping in a chair next to him.  He sat up slightly and winced, regretting that decision.  He looked at himself and found he was covered in bandages.  And he had no idea why.  Jongdae stirred and looked over, getting up quickly.

“You’re awake!” Jongdae exclaimed.  Minseok winced and smiled slightly.  Jongdae covered his mouth quickly and apologized almost inaudibly. 

“What am I doing here?  What happened?” Minseok asked curiously.  Jongdae pulled his hand away from his mouth and frowned.

“You mean you don’t remember?” Jongdae asked.  Minseok just blinked and Jongdae was about to say something more, but a nurse came in.

“I heard from a very loud someone,” she began, glaring at Jongdae slightly, “that you have finally woken up.  We’re very glad to see you pull through.  You had quite a list of injuries.”

“What happened?” Minseok asked again.

“You broke a few ribs, had a concussion, cracked your left tibia, and dislocated your left shoulder,” the nurse explained.  Minseok looked confused.  He didn’t remember doing any of that.  “The internal bleeding you suffered was the biggest worry, but you seem to be healing pretty well.”

“How did all this happen?” Minseok asked.

“You were hit by a car.  You really don’t remember?” Jongdae replied.  Minseok shook his head slightly and Jongdae just shrugged.  “Well, I guess it doesn’t matter.  It was more of a hit and run since the car and driver were gone by the time anyone got there.”  Minseok blinked and tried to remember what happened, but a stab of pain stopped his thoughts cold.

“Don’t try too hard to remember.  If you’re meant to the memories will come back with time,” the nurse explained.  “For now you should try eating something.  You’ve been sleeping for three days.”  Minseok’s eyes widened.  Three days.  He looked at Jongdae and Jongdae just smiled sympathetically.  The nurse walked over and showed Minseok how to operate the bed, sitting it up for him.  She brought over a tray of food and placed it in front of him.  Minseok looked over at the curtain in the middle of the room curiously.

“Is there someone on the other side?” Minseok asked curiously while taking a bite of an unappetizingly dry sandwich.  

“Yes, but we’re not sure who he is.  He came the day after you and he’s been in a coma ever since,” the nurse explained.

“What happened to him?” Minseok asked, needing to put down the sandwich before it came back up.

“Car accident.  Poor boy seemed to have hit a patch of ice and hit a tree.  Why so curious?” the nurse inquired.

“Well, we’re roommates.  I’m just wanted to know who I was sharing a room with,” Minseok replied, drinking out of the juice box.  He grimaced, not a fan of warm apple juice.

“Well I can assure you he won’t be very conversational.  The doctor isn’t sure if he’ll ever come too.  He suffered a lot of head trauma,” the nurse explained.

“Can I see him at least?” Minseok asked.  The nurse gave him a funny look, but moved the curtain.  On the other side Minseok saw his roommate.  His face was littered with cuts and bruises, his head wrapped in gauze.  His wrist was bound in a cast with the IV maneuvered around it.  He was asleep, but he didn’t look peaceful.  “And you don’t even know his name?”

“Unfortunately no,” the nurse admitted.  Minseok looked down at the rest of food and didn’t feel like finishing it.  He just didn’t have an apatite.  “Are you finished?”  Minseok looked up and nodded.  “Alright, I’ll be back to check on you later.”  Minseok smiled slightly as the nurse took the tray and walked out of the room.  Minseok glanced again at the boy on the other side of the room and felt a sting of pity for him. I bet he was beautiful without all those wounds…Minseok thought.

“I have to call the others to let them know you’re okay,” Jongdae said.  Minseok jumped slightly, almost forgetting Jongdae was even there.

“Oh, alright.  Can you do me a favor though?  Can you help me into the wheelchair over there and push me over to him?” Minseok requested.

“Sure, but why?” Jongdae asked, wheeling the chair over to the bed side.

“I figured he would recover faster if he knew someone was rooting for his recovery,” Minseok replied as Jongdae helped him into the chair.  Jongdae shrugged and wheeled him over to the sleeping figure. 

“I’ll be back in a few,” Jongdae said.  Minseok nodded and Jongdae left the room.  Minseok looked at the boy and gently took his hand.  His skin was cold and Minseok frowned slightly.

“Hi.  I’m Minseok.  I don’t know who you are, but it would be great if you would wake up and tell me,” Minseok said with a small smile.  “It looks like cars aren’t very friendly to either of us.  But I managed to wake up, so you should be able to as well.  Even if the doctors don’t know if you’ll wake up or not, I have faith that you will.  It would be too sad for you to stay here without anyone knowing at least your name.  I like to think the world isn’t that cruel.”  He paused for a second and looked at the door before looking back at the boy.  “My friend Jongdae should be back soon.  You’d probably like him.  He’s just one of those likeable people.”  Minseok placed his hand gently back onto his chest as the door opened and Jongdae walked in.

“Did you have fun with the vegetable?” Jongdae asked with a chuckle.  Minseok glared playfully as Jongdae wheeled Minseok back to his bed and helped him in.

“Maybe I was wrong,” Minseok muttered.  Jongdae looked confused as he sat in the chair.

“Wrong about what?” Jongdae asked.

“That you were a likeable person,” Minseok replied.

“Hey, I’m totally likeable.  I’m nearly bursting with charisma and charm,” Jongdae said pretending to be offended.  Minseok laughed, but was cut short with the pain in his chest.  Broken ribs.  Right.  “Anyway everyone is relieved to hear you’re okay.  Chanyeol is demanding that you buy him a drink for scaring him like that.”  Yup, that sounded like Chanyeol.  “You should rest up.  The others would be pissed at me if I slowed down the healing process.”  Minseok nodded and returned the bed to it’s normal position.  Jongdae walked out of the room and Minseok glanced over at his roommate again.  He had the strangest sense that he had seen him before, but he couldn’t place when or where.  He shrugged slightly and closed his eyes.