Red Roses and Promises

Magnetism

            “Do you have any really big ones,” Kyuhyun asked the florist.  “Like this,” he said, opening his arms as wide as he could and then stretched his arm above his head.

            “You want us to deliver a tree?” she asked in confusion.

            “I know,” Ryeowook said, sniffing some lilies as he spoke.  “Why don’t you just have them deliver one bouquet every day for a week or two?”

            Kyuhyun nodded and turned back to the clerk.  “Can you do that instead?”

            “Sure, what kind of flowers do you want to send?”

            “What’s the most expensive?” he asked.

            “Send her something different each time,” Ryeowook said, walking over to him and pointing at a plant hanging from the ceiling.  “Send her a couple plants too, so she has something permanent in the apartment and then send different types of flowers, like daisies and roses.”

            They wandered around the floral shop for the better part of a half hour, picking out the prettiest arrangements they could find and then figured out what day they’d send each one.  As they were finishing up, he spoke to the clerk alone.  “Send this card with the last one,” he said, handing her a sealed envelope.

            “Certainly, Mr. Cho,” she said, eager to please the man who was practically buying out her whole store.         

                                                                                                                

            Nichkhun was sitting around reading a magazine and drinking coffee as Victoria finished getting dressed.  They were headed out on yet another covert date, which was a quite the feat since they’d moved in together.  It was one of kpop’s best kept secrets but if they weren’t vigilant about keeping a low profile, it wouldn’t last long.  The hard part was keeping a low profile when his girlfriend was so drop-dead gorgeous. 

            Having just returned home from some extensive time away, he was eager to wind down and spend time with his We Got Married costar turned real life love interest.  Distracted, he set down the magazine and looked around the apartment at all the new plants and flowers decorating every last table and shelf.  He still hadn’t gotten a clear answer about whether they were a gift or if she’d picked them up herself, he realized, since she ended up kissing him both times he’d asked and he forgot about it immediately.

            The doorbell rang and he got up to answer the door, looking through the peephole at an older man holding a large package.  He opened the door and the little man’s eyes went wide.  “Is this Miss Song’s residence?”

            “Yes, it is.”

            “Ah, good!” he said with relief.  “She’s always answered herself so I thought I went to the wrong door this time.  This is for her.”

            Nichkhun took the package, which was clearly flowers, and the older man bowed his head and walked away.  He closed the door and brought the flowers into the dining room, setting them down at the table.

            “Who was it?”

            “A guy delivering flowers for you.”

            “Oh, can you open them and make sure they don’t need water,” she said, peeking her head out of the bathroom.

            “Sure,” he said, tearing open the brown paper, releasing the vibrant petals of a dozen red roses.  They were already sitting in a vase full of water, so he simply lifted them out and set it in the middle of the table. 

           Amongst the flowers, he noticed a card and opened it.  The front of the card had little hearts of red over a dark pink background with the word love spelled out in white glitter.  As he flipped the cover open to read the inside, expecting to find it from some crazy obsessed fan, he nearly passed out when he read the message inside.

 

My darling Victoria,

 

I really really really love you!  You have no idea how you’ve changed my whole life overnight.  I’m the happiest man in the whole wide world and I owe you so very much.  I do not even know how best to thank you for everything, so I’ve sent these flowers which I think reflect your beauty, inside and out.

                                                                                                                            Love Always,

                                                                                                                                     Kyuhyun

 

PS: If ever you are asked, please say that I kiss better than Wookie does.

 

            Nichkhun stood there in shock, looking from the card over to the flowers.  Victoria finally walked into the room and clapped her hands together at seeing the newest gift.  “Oh, those are beautiful.  I’m so pampered!”

            She leaned over the table and sniffed the buds, closing her eyes.  “Mmmm!”

            “Here,” Nichkhun said, handing her the card.  “This came with it.”

            Victoria read the card, her cheeks turning pink as she finished.  She sighed and then bit her lip, looking over at her boyfriend.  “He certainly has a way with words.  But it doesn’t mean what you think it does.”

            “But, I assume that you did in fact kiss Kyuhyun.”

            She nodded.  “It was to prove he was gay.”

            “And Ryeowook?”

            “At the MAMA’s, which you knew about.”

            “And, out of curiosity, which one actually kisses the best?”

            “Neither of them,” she said, shaking her head.  “You’re the one who kisses the best.”

            “I still have to kill him, you realize.”

            Victoria wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed her s against his chest, which were peeking out suggestively from the top of her dress.  “Must you?”

            “Must I what?”

            Victoria smiled and kissed him, thankful that her boyfriend was so understanding and so easy to distract. 

 

 

            Ryeowook and Sungmin were busy with their radio broadcast when Kyuhyun returned to the apartment with two coffees.  Jongwoon was busy sorting through some boxes in his room when Kyuhyun cleared his throat to announce his presence and walked in.

            “Here,” he said, handing Jongwoon one of the paper cups.  “I brought you back some.”

            Jongwoon gave Kyuhyun a questioning look and took the cup.  “Thanks.”

            “I feel that I haven’t adequately thanked you for helping me realize what I felt for Ryeowook and I’ve been struggling to come up with the best way to show my gratitude, but at the very least: thank you so much, Jongwoon,” he said, wrapping his arms around his hyung.

            Jongwoon smiled and pat Kyuhyun’s back with his free hand.  “You don’t have to do anything to thank me.  You and Ryeowook are now as happy as I think you’ll ever be, so that is all I need to make me happy about my part in it.”

            “I wanted to buy you a big tortoise, like the size of a dog, but Sungmin said no because you’d be leaving soon,” Kyuhyun complained, still holding onto him.

            Jongwoon laughed.  “He would have said no even if I wasn’t.  But that does give me an idea.”

            Kyuhyun finally released him and stepped back, waiting with anticipation. 

            “I’m going to be gone from Sungmin for almost two years…I’d really like it if someone were looking over things for me, making sure no one is giving him a hard time or trying to make a move on him.  That sort of thing.”

            “You have my word, I will beat the crap out of anyone who gets near him,” Kyuhyun promised solemnly. 

            “Just don’t tell him about this little arrangement.  I don’t want him to get mad.”

            Kyuhyun pretended to zip his lips shut.  “Your secret’s safe with me.”

            Jongwoon reached over and ruffled the hair of the tall maknae.  “Now, give me a hand moving these damn boxes.  I don’t want Sungmin to throw away any of my favorite clothes while I’m away, so I’m storing them at my parent’s house.”

            Kyuhyun laughed and set down his coffee, collecting boxes, joking around with his friend for the better part of the day, grateful that he had a friend who understood his needs better than he did himself.

 

***A/N:  Just one more chapter left!  I hope you've enjoyed this story and please leave comments about what you've liked best, so I know what you'd like to see in future stories.***