Pleasant Screams (Part 1)

Tales After Dark 3 (Big Bang Edition)

Every human being and living creatures live every day when they wake up and go through their eveyday lives and go to sleep to escape in their dreams. But sometimes, there had been conditions that can affect people in their sleep whether if it's Insomnia (Lack of sleep) or Parasomnia (Not waking from sleep), these conditions were medically researched by experts who say that people experience this when they are stressed or feel some kind of fear which manifests in their dreams.

But what they don't know is that sometimes, some dreams...or rather nightmares can prove to be fatal that will kill a person in their sleep...because there is something..or someone that is waiting for them to close their eyes and put them to sleep forever.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"As you can see students, during the 1970's case published by the LA Times, a group of Cambodian refugees have suffered from distrubing nightmares from the American bombing in Cambodia before fleeing from to the US, it haunted in their dreams to the point where they had suffered from insomnia and refused to sleep. And soon after that...the men have died in their sleep, they were aged 19-58 and no one had wondered why it happened and how....all we know is that our sleep is what makes us live every day and without this, we will never be alive..."

Applause was heard from the lecture hall where a guest lecturer, Dr. Kim Sung Min was delivering a lecture to the students who were researching on the topic of Sleep Deprivation. The students were leaving the lecture hall and went outside the campus and gasped at the sight of a dead body being carried out from the Drama department.

Kang Daesung and Lee Seungri, two students from Seoul University that were studying on the causes of Insomnia and Parasomnia are standing outside amongst the other students that were observing in sadness and silent terror seeing a body being pulled out in a stretcher and covered with a white sheet over it.

"Oh my God....I can't believe Min Hyuk is dead now....he was fine yesterday in class..." Seungri confessed to Daesung who was observing next to him.

"You're right Seungri-ah, he was having issues in sleeping lately and looked troubled, it's unbelievable to see that happen..." Daesung replied.

"Hey guys! Look what I found near Min Hyuk's desk, you should see this.." Park Hyomin, their friend and classmate informed them while showing a folded piece of paper.

They unfolded the paper and showed a sketch of a young guy who was looking at them with a stern yet evil look and next to it was a message that read: HELP ME! HE WILL KILL ME!

"What the hell! Who is that guy...? Why was he after Min Hyuk..?" Daesung asked while the guys were still feeling fightened at the image.

"I'm not sure Oppa...but I've seen him somewhere but not sure where...? Hyomin replied while Seungri finally realised at looking at the image which alarmed the guys.

"Oh my god! I know who he is, his name is Jang Geun Seuk and he was a former student here in Seoul University a decade ago..." Seungri confessed to the guys who were feeling scared at the recongition.

"But what does a former student have to do with a current student's death...?" Hyomin asked himself which prompted Daesung to investigate the connection to the death.

"We need to see the Dean for this, hopefully he will be able to give us answers as to what happened to Jang Geun Seuk..." Daesung replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jang Geun Seuk was a model student for Seoul University, he was really popular amongst his peers and was good friends with the other students: Park Gahee, Lee Minwoo and Kang Julien during their time in the campus." Yoo Jae Suk, the Dean confessed to the guys who were shocked to hear their cousins connected to the mysterious student.

"Julien Hyung knew who he was...?!" Daesung exclaimed at the news at the Dean's admission.

"But what does Gahee Unnie have to do with this...?" Hyomin asked the Dean who looked afraid of what he was going to say next.

"And whatever happened to that guy and why is he appearing in the dreams..." Seungri replied after Hyomin while Dean Yoo narated the story that had transpired the event...

~ Flashback ~

It was on 31st October 2000, the campus was holding their annual Halloween party for the students where they were dancing and I was chaperoning the event. I had to go outside the hall to take a call and heard a scream coming from the lecture rooms. I ran over to check and saw Gahee strapped onto the table, she looked so horrified and tried to free herself and the person slapped her and was doing some strange things. He was shirtless and annointed with oil and reciting incantations and then I realised he was practising black magic and was using Gahee as a sacrifice or something.

It was then Julien and Minwoo had went passed and saw me and they were also horrified at the scene in front of them, they broke the door and we all went inside to stop this but when the person turned back...It was Jang Geun Seuk.

"Dean Yoo! What you doing here with Julien and Minwoo..?" Geun Seuk asked while Dean Yoo was enraged at him and allowed Julien and Minwoo to untie Gahee from the table and covered her with a blanket.

"Why are you doing this...? You're one of the best students in this campus and I've always had high hopes for you....and now I see you conducting black magic and assaulting Gahee!" Dean Yoo shouted at Geun Seuk who felt humilated until he spoke up.

"I'm only doing this to get power, success and love...although I have success and power but was lacking in love. I've always was in love with Gahee but she only saw me as a friend, I tried so hard to change her mind...but she still rejected me..." Geun Seuk confessed in anger.

"I never was in love with you Geun Seuk-ah! I thought you would understand by now but I can't believe you would treat me like this!" Gahee replied in tears while Geun Seuk felt shattered at her hatred towards him.

"A-Anni Gahee-ah...I did this to get you to love me..." Geun Seuk confessed while heading towards her before Julien and Minwoo stepped in front of him.

"Gahee is our friend and you're putting her in harm's way, THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO THIS!" Julien yelled in outrage while shoving Geun Seuk away from them.

"He's right! You've crossed all the limits and you're not worthy of being a friend anymore..!" Minwoo shoved him to the table by accident where the black candle had lit his oiled body on fire while the others were left horrifed. They are trying to save him but the fire had consumed him and was too late, the other sutdents came running to the room and were equally horrifed at the scene in front of them.

"YOU ALL WILL PAY FOR THIS! I WILL COME BACK AGAIN AND HAUNT YOU IN YOUR DREAMS! YOUR FAMILY WILL SUFFER! NOT EVEN YOU CAN SAVE THEM...!" Geun Seuk cursed the students and the Dean before falling from the window to his death.

I called the police and the paramedics and informed them of what happened and they ruled the death as an accident and an act of self-defence. After that, things were never the same for Gahee, Julien and Minwoo and felt so haunted from the incident and left Seoul after graduation the next year. Julien went back to Canada and opened a Modelling Agency, Gahee became a dancer and opened a dance school in New York and Minwoo became a producer and songwriter for many musicians.

~ End of Flashback ~

Dean Yoo finally confessed the horrific incident to the students while Daesung, Seungri and Hyomin were so speechless and comteplating as to how they will be able to handle a bitter truth that connects them together. The moment was interrupted by a call from his mother.

"Help me Omma! I don't wanna die...please save me Oppa..!" Daesung heard his sister screaming her sleep over the phone.

"It's Ji-Young-ah! She is having attacks again, come and hurry..!" Mrs Kang informed Deasung who was worried and nodded to his mum and hang up the call.

"We have to go now....my sister is in trouble again..." Daesung informed Seungri and Hyomin and left the Dean's office and went inside the car to travel to Daesung's house to check on Ji-Young's health....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daesung, Seungri and Hyomin arrived in the house and Mrs. Kang came running in tears and hugged Daesung and patted Seungri and Hyomin in gratitude. Mrs. Kang showed the guys to a room where a girl was sleeping in her bed peacefully while monitors where attached to her and a tube connected to her nose and the machine beeping with her heart rate.

The girl is Kang Ji-Young who is Daesung's young sister, she was a girl who was full of life and dearly loved by her mother and older brother. Until four months ago, she went to sleep one night and then never woke up, the doctors tested her and checked that she has no injuries or sickness but was kept on a coma for unknown reasons. They've decided to treat her at home instead where she can be near to her mother and Daesung which inspired him to study on Insomnia and Parasomnia so that he can find a way to treat her and get her back to life again.

Daesung felt a hand touch him and saw it was Ji-Young who was in some kind of trance and started to mumble quietly.

"Gwenchana..? It's Oppa...speak to me Ji-Young-ah..?" Daesung softly spoke to his sister who was feeling scared and saw move.

"O-Oppa...help me...please save me....he will kill me..." Ji-Young replied in a terrfied tone while Seungri and Hyomin approached her.

"Who will kill you Ji-Young-ah..?" Seungri asked her while she started to scream in terror and the guys held her together to stop her.

"J-Jang Geun Seuk! He w-will kill me...and his f-friends..!" Ji-Young started to convulse before the nurse sedated her to sleep again. The machine started to bleep in a normal tone again and Ji-Young is still breathing.

Daesung couldn't stop his tears at the sight os his sister's comatose state and realised that he will need to save her before she dies in her sleep like the other victims. He called up a number of someone who was in town for a while now and informed him to come over to his house while Seungri and Hyomin also called up people on their phones.

Twenty minutes later, a cab pulled up in front of the house and knocked on the door while Daesung, Seungri and Hyomin went to answer the door and showed three guests outside.

"Hyung I need your help...Jang Geun Seuk has returned and is out to kill again, he's got Ji-Young now and we need to save her..." Daesung confessed to the his cousin and appeared to be Julien who was accompanied by Gahee and Minwoo who received the news from their cousins, Hyomin and Seungri.

They all sat down in the living room where Mrs. Kang was narrating Ji-Young's misfortune in tears while the guys informed them about the recent death that happened to a former student who died in his sleep by the same figure who put Ji-Young in a coma.

"I thought if we moved on from this, we wouldn't have to go through the pain of remembering again. He was our friend but his intentions were so evil and bad that it tainted the memories of our friendship." Minwoo confessed to the guys.

"I kept on thinking to myself that he was still there, but then I heard about the mysterious death of a student from his sleep and realised the warning Geun Seuk had said before he died." Gahee confessed while Hyomin comforted her.

"Well we all need to do something to lure him in a trap and in order to do this, few of us have to go to sleep to enter in Ji-Young's dream and save her from getting killed in her sleep." Daesung announced which put the guys in a shock.

"You can't do this Daesung-ah! It's dangerous and you will die, I don't want to lose my kids to some ghost killer..." Mrs. Kang replied in tears.

"He's right Ahjumma, if we don't save Ji-Young by entering her dreams, she will be trapped forever and Geun Seuk will kill again, I promise you that we'll get her back and finally get rid of Geun Seuk's spirit from our lives.." Julien replied while Daesung hugged him in gratitude.

After so many years, three friends have finally returned and decided to help their young cousins in order to save an innocent girl and many other victims from dying in their sleep, it may be dangerous but they knew it was about time they faced a ghost of their past.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Be Continued....

10 March 2016