She's Not There (Part 1)

Tales After Dark 3 (Big Bang Edition)

Seung Hyun was a young handsome man who was filled with charms and ambitions and used them to climb to the top to be rich with money, in the most crooked ways. He made his plan by working under Kim Yong Goon, a millionaire who was widowed with two daughters as well as owning a business empire named Kim Corp. His young daughter was in a boarding school in the US while his eldest daughter, Kim Yoobin was young, beautiful and a talented pianist. Seung Hyun met Yoobin at a party thrown by Kim Yong Goon and charmed his way through both of them who were unaware of his evil intentions.

Seung Hyun started dating Yoobin for 3 months and got married through her father's approval since he thought of Seung Hyun as a good man. But one day, Kim Yong Goon suddenly passed away through mysterious circumstances while leaving a will which stated that all his inheritance goes to Yoobin which angered Seung Hyun who didn't receive a penny. A week later, Yoobin got into an accident which made her wheelchair bound and it was there she realised that the man she thought she knew was someone different and married her for her wealth. Since that day, they constantly argued about everything but what she doesn't realise that the man she married was a real evil man with dangerous intentions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lawyer Lee, I want to know where you kept the papers for the Kim Corp. business and their property!" Seung Hyun shouted at his lawyer, Lee Kwang Soo who stood in front of him feeling intimidated.

"Well Mr Choi, I was given instructions by Mrs Choi to keep them away in a safe place..." Kwang Soo explained to Seung Hyun who was feeling agitated by his response.

"Well I would like to see them now since I have authority as her husband!" Seung Hyun demanded before he heard someone coming through the door and saw Yoobin coming in the library while pushing herself in a wheelchair.

"Why do you need these papers Seung Hyun-ah? Everything is perfectly safe and I trust our family lawyer to his job, you may go now." Kwang Soo left the library leaving Seung Hyun and Yoobin alone.

"There was no need for you to come here!" Seung Hyun yelled in anger while Yoobin glared at him and smirked.

"You think I'm an idiot, not knowing what you're upto and whatever you're gonna do with Appa's business and property, it will never work and I won't let you use my wealth to make you rich because you will always be a pauper who uses people for your own gain with that twisted mind of yours." Yoobin replied before Seung Hyun grabbed her chin harshly.

"Don't you ever talk to me like that, I'm your husband and I'm only with you so that I will get you to hand over all your wealth to me once you sign the papers." Seung Hyun smirked in an evil way before going out of their mansion to see a friend while Yoobin was still glaring at her husband.

"We'll see about that Seung Hyun-ah..." Yoobin uttered with a satisfied smile seeing her husband's departed figure who isn't aware of her next move which would not only ambush him, but will give a surprise that he will never forget.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seung Hyun was driving through the streets of Seoul and stopped by at a small cafe. He got out his silver Porsche before putting it in auto lock and went over to a table where there was a young girl's back towards him. He smiled and tapped her back while the girl turned around and saw him.

The girl was Suzy Bae who was a young 19 year old student who came to Seoul to study dance in Seoul University and once met Seung Hyun who bumped into her outside her dorm and became her guide in her stay in Seoul. He introduced himself as TOP and since that day, they started dating a month later but Suzy was still unaware of her supposed boyfriend's real nature as a opportunist and a married man.

"TOP Oppa! I missed you so much..." Suzy hugged Seung Hyun who felt happy seeing her.

"Well I missed you even more..." TOP smiled while teasing Suzy who felt shy after seeing his dimples. They both sat down and ordered a couple of chicken panini's and orange juice while catching up lost time with each other.

"So why don't you ever let me introduce you to my friends...?" Suzy innocently asked which left Seung Hyun speechless since he would probably get caught by someone for dating a young girl despite being married.

"Err...well if you do that, wouldn't you feel jealous if you think I give my attention to some other girl....Besides I only have eyes for you..." Seung Hyun managed to recover himself and flirted with her.

"Well you should know that I wouldn't do that and I trust you completely...." Suzy confessed to Seung Hyun who smirked at her shyness before Suzy saw the time on her phone.

"Omo! It's 8.30 now and I have to get to dance practice...I guess we have re-schedule our date T.O.P. Oppa." Suzy alerted Seung Hyun while he left money for the bill and tips.

"Gwenchana! We could meet each other another time and if you ever need me, just give me a call." Seung Hyun replied before they hugged each other.

Seung Hyun escorted Suzy in a taxi cab and kissed her on the cheek before waving goodbye to each other with a smile.

"BEEP!"

Seung Hyun saw his phone and his smile faltered, it was from Yoobin who left him an short message.

"Come home Seung Hyun-ah, there's something we need to talk about...."

"Looks like my dear wife has finally seen the light...I knew she won't be able to go against me..." Seung Hyun smirked in arrogance thinking that his wife is finally listening to his orders and give away her wealth to Seung Hyun. He went inside his car and drove off to the Mansion but little did he know that his night will take a shocking turn that he never imagined....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He opened the doors of the mansion and went inside to look for his wife, the atmospshere was quiet in an unsettling way while the storm was starting to brew outside. He went towards the living room and saw Yoobin in her wheelchair while dressed in a simple white summer dress with short sleeves, white ballet shoes, a pair of diamond studs in her ears, a white gold bracelet which had the inscription of their names and a heart pendant around her neck. She saw Seung Hyun standing there near the coffee table and wheeled herself towards her husband.

"So Yoobin-ah....what did you want to see me for...?" Seung Hyun directly asked in a demanding tone like always while Yoobin gave him a defeated look which baffled him.

"I know that our relationship was based on lies and in my heart, I had always loved you for the man that you were. The only reason why I was being spiteful towards you is because I'm in a wheelchair and maybe you couldn't keep up with the charade of being the caring husband since you felt burdened in taking care of a wife whose wheelchair-bound, but even if we were arguing with each other, I kept on hoping that our relationship would get better and love again like you did before." Yoobin took out a long brown envelope which had no name on it and gave to Seung Hyun who accepted.

"What is this..?" Seung Hyun asked calmly but mentally thinking that his wife is finally giving what he wanted while Yoobin gave a sad smile with tears in her eyes.

"I'm giving you the papers that you always wanted and I also wanted to give you the photos I took of us together when we were dating. To me, those photos are precious to me and hope you will remember the good times we had before everything had changed..." Yoobin broke into tears and sobbed into her hands while Seung Hyun who felt relieved but felt guilty after seeing Yoobin crying.

He opened the envelope to see the papers while some photos and a CD fell out on the table. He looked at the photos and his eyes widened in shock, they weren't pictures of him and Yoobin....but him and his secret girlfriend Suzy....and the papers were not the property papers, but actually was divorce petition filed by Yoobin for the crime of adultery. He saw Yoobin whose sobs have now changed to her mocking him with laughter.

"How do you you like the photos Seung Hyun-ah? I wonder what your girlfriend would do when she finds what you really are.." Yoobin mocked at Seung Hyun who felt ambushed.

"How the hell did you know....?" Seung Hyun tried to calm down his anger.

"You think I wouldn't know what you're upto...? I've kept my eyes on your every move and hired a private detective who took photos of you and reported me on every illegal thing that you were doing without my knowledge. But when you started an affair with someone else despite being a married man, I've had enough of your emotional abuse and with the help of my lawyer, I kept those photos as evidence when I divorce you..."

"You conniving ! I should've never never underestimated you since you were in a wheelchair...If you think you can divorce me then think again, because you can never escape from until I get your wealth." Seung Hyun shouted while Yoobin did nothing but smirked at him.

"You should think again while saying this because I have another proof in this CD which will put you in prison..." Yoobin replied.

"What's in the CD Yoobin-ah..?" Seung Hyun asked in a demanding tone.

"You will find out soon..." Yoobin replied in a calm yet angry tone. Seung Hyun put the CD in the DVD player and saw the shocking scene in front of him which was recorded from a CCTV camera in the room.

"You wanted to see me Mr. Kim.." Seung Hyun entered into Yong Goon's bedroom of the mansion while Yong Goon looked outside from the windows.

"How could you Seung Hyun-ah..?" Yong Goom asked in a deafeated tone.

"Mwoh..? What do you mean...?" Seung Hyun pretended to not notice his behaviour before Yong Goon stopped him.

"You know what I'm talking about? You think I wouldn't know what your intentions were? How you took advantage of my kindness, how you betrayed my trust, and how are using my precious Yoobin so that you can get money!" Yong Goon shouted in outrage.

"I-I don't understand what you're talking about...?" Seung Hyun still pretended until Yong Goon threw papers at him which had information of Seung Hyun's life, the money he took from the company illegally as well as the papers he created to snatch the property and wealth of Mr. Kim.

"I've looked into your life and found out what a liar and thief you really are and I also found out how you got kicked out of school because of fights and stealing money from donations all because you're greedy and ambitious. I felt disgusted thinking that a man like you is a good human being and how you were a son to me and an ideal husband for my daughter...." Yong Goon confessed with tears in his eyes but managed to compose himself in front of Seung Hyun who was panicking.

"And to repent that mistake, I will call the police and tell them what you really are and you will be punished!" Yong Goon was dialing before Seung Hyun snatched it off by force and pushed him on his bed. Seung Hyun locked the door and went towards a frightened Yong Goon who saw his demeanor changed into something evil. Seung Hyun took a pillow and suffocated Yong Goon who was defenceless but then his hand fell flat on the soft bed. He took the pillow and looked at Yong Goon's dead eyes with an evil smirk.

"Mianhe Mr. Kim but you left me no choice and I can't let anything or anyone get in the way of my ambtions...and now I'm gonna be rich all thanks to you...." Seung Hyun laughed in an evil tone.

After seeing the video, his blood ran cold and saw his wife glaring at him with tears in her eyes.

"Imagine how I felt when I found out when Appa didn't die in his sleep....but instead he was killed by your bare hands Seung Hyun-ah! I was on my way to call the police but unfortunately, I had an accident which put me in a wheelchair and I guess I felt safe since it's a crime for you to physically abuse a disabled woman but now that I have plenty of evidences, I can finally get you punished for your crimes like Appa wanted to do." Yoobin replied in anger and was trying to call the police but Seung Hyun took her phone and threw on the floor which ended up in pieces as well as breaking the rest of the evidence.

"Destroy all you want since they are only copies of the evidence and the original version is with me in a safe place where you won't find them." Yoobin tried to leave but Seung Hyun stopped her wheelchair, she tried to move but Seung Hyun grabbed her face hard while laughing at her misery in a sinister tone.

"The reason why Mr. Kim was killed because he knew what my intentions were but now that you know everything, you have two choices: You can sign over your wealth and property in my name, sign the divorce papers, give the evidence to me and I won't hurt you, OR you will live in this hell forever knowing that you can't defend yourself and you're not capable of what I can do so it's important for me to let you live until I get those signatures and after that...you will go where I sent your Appa...to death....AARRGH!" Seung Hyun confessed to Yoobin who was terrified before she bit his hand and wheeled herself quickly out of the room.

"Come back Yoobin-ah!" Seung Hyun chased Yoobin until he found her a few feet away from him while she was struggling with the buttons of the elevator in the mansion but she had to escape. She looked towards the right and saw Seung Hyun charging towards her before she quickly escaped and stopped near the stairs. She knew it was dangerous for her to use the stairs since she was in a wheelchair but she realises that Seung Hyun is near and there is no way out.

Seung Hyun was running through the hallway and saw Yoobin stopped near the stairs. Every time he took a step, Yoobin slowly wheeled herself back away from in fright but then....

"AAAARRRGHH!" A scream was heard from Yoobin when she took a step back and fell down the stairs. Seung Hyun went running down the stairs and saw the wheelchair on the other side of floor while Yoobin's body lying in the floor in a pool of blood. He turned her body over and saw a deep gash on the side of her head along with few cuts on her face while her eyes were open, he checked the pulse on her neck and realised that Yoobin isn't unconscious.....the fall had ended in her death.

"Oh my God! I've killed Yoobin! This wasn't supposed to happen...." Seung Hyun was becoming hysterical seeing Yoobin covered in blood.

"DING DONG!" The door bell was ringing and Seung Hyun opened the door in a hurry to find his lawyer, Lee Kwang Soo entering inside ignoring him.

"Mrs Choi! I've just wanted to discuss with you about the case and...." Kwang Soo was talking to Seung Hyun who was still in shock and looked towards the living room floor where he gasped with his hand over mouth at Yoobin's dead body lying on the floor.

"What the hell just happened...? Did you kill her...!?" Kwang Soo asked in horror while Seung Hyun who was still hysterical.

"Andwe! It w-was an accident....She found out about everything and was threatening to get me a-arrested....I-I tried to stop her b-but she was running for her life and then....she fell down and...just died..." Seung Hyun confessed in a shaky tone while Kwang Soo was shaking his head in disbelief.

"Well what you gonna do Mr Choi? Someone will find out about Mrs. Choi's death and you won't be able to escape from the law....I'm gonna call the police and ..." Kwang Soo informed before Seung Hyun cut him off and grabbed his collar.

"Don't even think about it! If you do that then I will tell them that you were involved too and you will be dragged down with me...so it's better that you co-operate with me and help me get rid of Yoobin's body." Seung Hyun threatened Kwang Soo who had no choice but to listen to words of the devil in order to escape his wrath.

Both of them had covered her body with saran wrap all over and dragged her body into the trunk of Seung Hyun's car with Kwang Soo following him. They drove off to a river nearby at late night and stopped their cars, Seung Hyun opened the trunk and dragged Yoobin's lifeless body along with Kwang Soo's help before dumping it deep inside the river.

"No one must know what happened with Yoobin....otherwise there will be consequences..." Seung Hyun reminded the threat to Kwang Soo before leaving in his car.

"There definitely will be consequences.....but it's not gonna be me who will be facing them Mr Choi...." Kwang Soo thought angrily to Seung Hyun's departed figure not knowing that those last words will prove to be true in the most unexpected...yet horrifying way.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seung Hyun took a long shower to wash away the dirt....and blood from his body. After he was done, he stepped out of the shower and dried himself with a towel before changing into a white t-shirt and grey sweats. He kept on wondering what happen next since Yoobin is dead now, will he be able to move on with his life and will he get the wealth that he wanted even after getting two people out of his way. He shook his head and tried not to dwell on those thoughts and right now he needs a good night sleep. He turned off the lights in the bathroom and draped the curtains in his bedroom before settling himself to sleep.

"DING! DING! DING!" The pendulum clock downstairs had struck at 3AM when all of a sudden, a sound was being played.

A sound of a piano melody was heard downstairs which woke up Seung Hyun from his sleep. He opened the door and slowly went downstairs where he can hear the piano playing softly in the living room. His eyes widened in recognition when the piano was playing Que Sera Sera (Whatever will be, will be)....which was Yoobin's favourite song whenever she plays the piano. He rushed out towards the living and saw a scene that put him in a shock....the piano was being played itself where the keys were being tapped in melody which made his bones chill in horror.

Seung Hyun rushed out of the living room in fright and then the piano stopped. He was breathing heavily after seeing that scene and try to wipe the sweat from his face until....

"RING RING! RING RING!" The phone was ringing in the living room while Seung Hyun was slowly approaching towards the phone on the table. he picked up the phone to hear who was calling on the other line.

"Yobosaeyo..." Seung Hyun greeted the unknown caller before he heard someone singing which made him shiver in fright.

Que Sera, Sera,

Whatever will be, will be

My dead body isn't yours to see

Que Sera, Sera

Whatever will be, will be....

"You will never get away for what you did Seung Hyun-ah....I will come and make you pay...." The voice replied to him.

"Who are you...? What do you want from me....?" Seung Hyun demanded before he knew the voice that made him hysterical.

"Don't you know your own wife....It's me Yoobin....." The voice replied with a sinister laugh before Seung Hyun hang up on her. Seung Hyun dropped to the floor in shock while realising the horrible scene that was replaying in front of him.

His first meeting with Kim Yong Goon...

His first encounter with Yoobin at Yong Goon's birthday...

Their fake relationship and marriage...

Yong Goon's confrontation which led to his death...

Yoobin's confrontation which led to her death...

Him throwing her dead body into the river...

And now the piano playing the haunting melody in front of him by itself...

He thought he can get away from a horrible accident.....and now his wife wants vengeance from him for all the sins he has committed towards her, her father and everything else. But what makes it scarier is that even though the roles are reversed, Seung Hyun is fearing from his wife.....since she has turned into a ghost of the undead.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Be Continued...

10 August 2013