Chanyeol: Chapter 21

Cupid's Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When I get back to my room, I send a text to Chanyeol.

Me: You said I’d have to wait for a job, but I think I found one.

I push the phone underneath my pillow, and then I close my eyes. When I wake up in the morning, I have five messages waiting for me – something that doesn’t usually greet me in the morning.

Chanyeol: I have a feeling I know what the job is.

Chanyeol: Also, I’m not a fan of the ‘objects’ of my assumption.

Nam: Hey Junah, just wanted to thank you for coming out to see me, pajamas and all. I’ll be okay.

Chanyeol: Hey Junah. Wake up. It’s the weekend.

Chanyeol: I won’t consider your job offer unless you reply within the next twenty minutes.

I check the time. Ten minutes have passed since the last text.

Not wanting to waste any time, I call Chanyeol, who takes a millennium and a half to answer.

“Hello?”

I hesitate for a second, because he sounds sleepy, and a low voice mixed with sleepiness can sound dangerously sensitive to any girl’s ear.

“Um. Hey. It’s Junah.”

“I know, I can hear you. What’s up?”

“I wanted to talk to you about a job. But it’s kind of a different job. It will challenge your, you know, match making skills.” I sit up and glance at Bora’s bed, forgetting that she might be asleep. Her bed is empty. I haven’t any clue where she is, but I will think about that later.

“I already have great skills.”

“Naw, you’re tripping.”

“Junah, I’m lying down.”

“It’s a joke. Gosh. Listen.” I push my blankets away and hop off my bed. “One of my friends – Nam. You remember? You met him. He and his girlfriend are on a sort of break that could lead to an official break up, and for him, I was wondering if you could help them get back together.”

I hear him in a breath. “It’s personally connected to you, isn’t it? Since you know the client.”

“But it isn’t for me, Chan, it’s for Nam.”

“That’s more difficult. It’s better to put people together that you don’t really know.”

“Come on, Chanyeol. Please.” Dang it. Wake up, Chanyeol. “Do I need to go there and beg?”

“No, you don’t have to beg, Junah, it’s just – fine. Okay. You’re right. It will stretch my abilities.”

“Exactly,” I say, setting my phone down onto the bathroom counter and putting it on speaker.

“I’ll be more accomplished to do other things. Not only make a relationship, but put a relationship back together.

“Right. That’s the mission.”

“You really think I can do that?”

I stop pulling the hair tie out of my hair and ask, “What?”

“I don’t think I can,” he answers, his voice the quietest that I’ve ever heard.

“I – “

“Get a hold of Nam and let me know. I’m going to work out in the gym with a friend, so I’ll text you later. Bye.”

“Um … yeah.” I hang up. Did I imagine the change in his voice? Am I paranoid? Forget it. I need to hurry up and shower before the cafeteria closes for the morning.

After I change into a sweater and comfy shorts, I run to the cafeteria and eat a bowl of cereal. It’s my favorite cereal (Krave! So good) so my day is partly made. As I eat, I start to think of my conversation with Nam last night. I asked Chanyeol if he would help me with the Nam issue, but I didn’t even ask Nam if he wanted that help. As a guy, he has his pride – his issue, his solution. But I find that I have to steer Nam in the right direction sometimes. When I don’t pay attention, he is more prone to hit the curb.

I hope he’ll listen to me on this one.

I send a text to Nam asking if he’s awake, and then I text Bora asking her where she is. As I wait for their responses, I stare at the cafeteria door and eat my cereal. Two minutes later in walks Seya. Her face is stripped of makeup, and she wears grey sweats and a t-shirt. I try to deduce her feelings by pondering her face, but she dons the blankest expression that I have ever seen anyone use. She sees me, and for a while, she stares – and then

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter