Chanyeol: Chapter 33

Cupid's Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you want to get smoothies?”

I lift my shake. “I already ate.”

“Let’s go for a drive,” he says and pulls at the lanyard hanging from his pocket. His keys fall out, along with a candy wrapper. He picks it up and throws it in the trashcan beside me. “Come on.”

“But Chanyeol … “

“Can I borrow your time?” He asks. “For thirty minutes. Let me borrow you for thirty minutes.”

I take another taste of my shake, but nothing comes up my straw. I’ve finished it. “All right.”

I follow him to his black car. He opens the door for me, and then he starts the engine. He drives out of the parking lot and rolls the windows down.

For five minutes, we don’t talk. The wind batters my hair all over my face, so I repeatedly have to fix my hair. I soon grow tired and tie it back. When I look at the rearview mirror, Chanyeol is watching me. The windows roll up.

He clicks on the radio and shuffles through the music. He stops at a song, listens to it quizzically, and then pulls his hand away from the buttons. He turns up the volume from the settings on the steering wheel and rolls down the windows again – but only by three inches.

“I haven’t heard this song in a while,” I say. The piano riff that I last heard about a year ago starts pounding through the car’s speakers. A smile breaks through my face once Cee Lo Green’s distinctively characteristic voice plays over the instrumental.

“I hated this song,” Chanyeol replies.

“Oh.” I look down at my lap. Never mind about having my mood lifted.

But as the verse continues to play, Chanyeol hums the tune. Soon, his head bobs to every beat. When the song reaches the chorus, Chanyeol has added two more marks to the volume and is mumbling the song.

“I see you driving round town with the girl I love, and I’m like … forget you.”

I’ve never heard him sing before, and although his rich voice sounds great with this song, listening to him sing when he previously stated that he hated it makes me want to .

“You said you hated this song.”

“Yeah,” he says, the volume going up another level. The windows fall down three more inches. “But it’s one of those songs you can’t help but sing to.” He leans toward me, and with a puerile spark in his eyes, belts out, “And although there’s pain in my chest, I still wish you the best with a forget youuu!”

I push his chest with the palm of my hand. He takes it as encouragement and rolls the windows all the way down and the music all the way up. He does a lame dance in his seat as he drives. His shoulders move in accordance to the rhythm of the song, and his fingers tap on the steering wheel.

“I pity the foo-ool who falls in love with you,” he sings. His voice cracks, but he keeps hitting the high note anyway. “… Oh she’s a gold digger, well,” and he looks at me and fakes a glare, “just thought you should know – “

“You sound awful,” I say even though I’m enjoying it.

“You know you want to sing along,” he replies, and then crashes through the chorus, the veins on his neck popping, his nose scrunching, his head moving. “ … with a forget you!”

The bridge comes, and Chanyeol goes crazy. I’ve never heard anybody jam out to a song so whole-heartedly before. “Now baby, baby, baby, why’d you wanna hurt me so bad?” He sings the background vocals, too, which is a complete disaster. “I tried to tell my momma but she told me this is one for your dad.” He swallows an enormous breath. “And I was like, Oh!”

The heck with it. I join in and, with an even worse singing voice, ask, “Why?”

“Oh!”

“Why?”

Together,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter