Chapter 5: This is a “Wonderful” Situation

After The Fire

            One second, my wife is comforting my former lover, the next she’s passed out and slides off the bench and onto the floor.

            Min Young and I both freaked out, but Min Young pulled Lizzie up and managed to get her onto the bed beside me.

            I my wife’s hair away from her face.  “Baby?  Can you hear me?”

            “Oppa, I think she knocked herself out.”

            “What in god’s name did you tell her?”

            Min Young grew pale and went over to the bench, sitting down again.

            “Park Min Young, what the hell did you say to my wife?  You better tell me.”

            “I told her what I was going to tell you tonight…”

            “What’s that?”

            She clasped her hands.  “I’m pregnant.”

            “What?!  How did that happen?  How could that have happened?”

            “I don’t know!  Don’t yell at me.”  She covered her ears.

            “Eli…”

            I looked down at my wife, touching her face and softening my expression.  “Baby, are you alright?”

            “My head hurts.”

            I kissed her forehead.  “You’ll be ok.  I want you to get checked out.  If you have to get admitted, too, you’ll be right in here with me, ok?”

            “Ok…”

            I kissed her lips softly.  “My baby girl,” I held her close.

            “Oppa,” she murmured.

            “Hmm?”

            “I love you.”

            “I love you, too, baby.”  I ran my fingers through her hair gently.  “True love like what we got, Oh baby I know sometimes, it’s gonna rain, But baby can we make up now cause I can’t sleep through the pain.  Girl I don’t wanna go to bed, mad at you, and I don’t want you to go to bed, mad at me, oh no, no, no…

            Lizzie’s breathing slowed down much more.

            I looked at her, peacefully sleeping against me in my arms.  I smiled and kissed my wife’s forehead.  “Yah, Min Young?

            “Neh Oppa?

            “Get out of here.  I’ll call you later.

            “Yeh Oppa.  Tell me how Unnie is, please.”  She bowed and left the room.

            I looked at my wife’s face, wondering how I could ever think about swaying.  I was lucky to have her for as long as I did, not to mention after she came back to me twice.  A third time she’s come back because I was too stupid to hold onto her.

            I caressed her face softly.  “I promise this time baby.  I won’t let you go no matter what.  I don’t care what happens.”

            “Stick to your promise.  Next time something happens, I won’t argue with Chunji about kicking your .  I will step aside and let him and Hyuk both.”  She sighed.

            I kissed her lips.  “I will baby.  Now, go back to sleep.”

            “I don’t want to sleep.  My head hurts like hell.”

            “You hit it.”

            A doctor came in.  “Mrs. Kim, are you alright?

            “She fell and hit her head.  Can you get her checked out, please?

            “Of course.  I’ll be right back again.”  He left and came back not even a minute later.  “A nurse is coming with a wheelchair to take your wife to an exam room.

            Lizzie sighed, opening her eyes finally and meeting mine.  “Will you be ok without me?”

            “As long as you’re alright, I will be, too.”

            “I’ll be ok, Eli.”

            I kissed her forehead and sat up, holding her until the nurse took her away from me.

            “Did you do this idiotic thing because of that young woman?”  He referred to my wrapped up wrist.

            “No.  It was because of something I did to her.  I can’t live without her.  Besides, this isn’t the first time I’ve pulled a move that has hurt her.  We have a daughter together.  I didn’t know my wife was even pregnant until she was over halfway done with her pregnancy.  She had a miscarriage, too, and didn’t tell me about that until a month or so afterwards.  During that time, we were fighting a lot, and I was seeing another woman.

            “The one who left a few minutes ago?

            “Yes, that one.

            “It’s not good when couples fight.  But, they will sometimes.  Even the most perfect couples fight.

            “Yes, I know.  People think we have the perfect relationship.

            “Couples are not always what they seem.

            “Isn’t that the truth?”  I let the doctor examine me.

            “You’re doing fine at this point, Mr. Kim.  Just watch yourself and don’t do any unneeded worrying.

            A nurse came in and bowed to the doctor.  “Her doctor suggests she stay overnight just in case.

            Dr. Jang looked at her, then at me.  “Do you mind if your wife stays in here?

            “I’d prefer her not to be in a separate room, especially right now.

            “Very well.  We’ll bring her in shortly, Mr. Kim.”  He bowed and left the room with the nurse.

            Lizzie was wheeled back into my room, and they made her lie on the bed next to mine.

            “Stay right here, Mrs. Kim.  You’ll only be here for a short observation period so we can make sure you won’t have any problems.  If you need anything, buzz us.  That goes for you, too, Mr. Kim.”  The other doctor and nurse left, taking the wheelchair out of the room.

            Lizzie got out of the bed and slipped into my bed, snuggling into my arms.  “Oh Eli…”  She sighed.

            I rubbed her back.  “Now you’ll definitely be with me for tonight.”

            She yawned and laid her head against my shoulder, closing her eyes.

            I slipped her glasses off, setting them on the nightstand and holding her.  “What’d they say, baby?”

            “I have a minor concussion due to the fall.  I only have to stay in here overnight, though since they have to make sure I’ll be ok.  You have to stay for two days unless they find something else wrong.”

            “I hope they don’t.  I’d rather be home with you, instead of here at the stupid hospital.”

            “Me too, Eli.”  She looked over.  “Can you grab my purse over on your side?  I think my phone is going off.”

            I got her purse and handed it to her.

            “Thanks sweetheart.”  She kissed my cheek and took her phone out.  “Ugh…hang on.”  She set it against her ear.  “Neh Oppa?”  Lizzie nibbled on her lip.

            I touched her lips softly with my fingertips, smoothing them out.

            “I’m fine Chunji.  I’m at the hospital visiting someone, that’s all.

            “No, I won’t be back tonight.

            “Yah Oppa, stop worrying.  I’m fine.  Chill out.  Now go to sleep.  I’ll see you tomorrow.  I love you.”  She held her phone in her hands, sighing.  Lizzie set it in her bag and moved it off the bed before lying back in my arms.  “He’s going to yell at me for not splitting with you.”

            “No he won’t.  He’ll yell at me and probably punch me for doing something so hurtful and stupid to you.”

            “Yeah…that’s probably true…”

            I patted her back.  “It’ll all be ok.  At least you aren’t in a hospital gown.”

            She grinned.  “That’s always true.”

            “Yeah, yeah, laugh it up baby.  I’m going to get you back when we get back home.”

            She wrapped her arms around my neck, looking up at me.  “And just how are you going to do that, Mr. Kim?”

            I grinned at her and pressed my lips to hers.  “I’ll just have to show you when we get home.”

            “I can’t wait till we go back home, then.”  Lizzie laid her head back on my chest, closing her eyes.  Her breathing grew slow just minutes later.

            I smiled, kissing the top of her head.  “Love you baby.”  I laid my head down against the pillow, closing my eyes to rest.  I woke up around eight in the morning.  I sat up and carefully stretched.

            Lizzie was sitting on the other hospital bed, looking deep in thought.

            “Baby, you ok?”

            She looked over at me and smiled a little, not meeting my eyes.  “Yeah, I’m ok.”

            I could see right through her façade and patted beside me.  “Come here.”

            She moved and sat down, her back to me.

            I pulled her onto the bed a little more, rubbing her side.  “What’s wrong sweetheart?”

            “It’s nothing, Eli.”

            “Baby,” I pulled her back into my arms even closer and set my chin on her shoulder.  “Tell me what’s wrong, Lizzie.”

            “Eli…”

            “Elizabeth Kim, you better tell me what’s wrong with you right now.”

            She suddenly burst out crying, catching me by surprise.

            I turned my wife and pulled her close to me, her hair.  “I’m sorry baby.”

            “It wasn’t because of that.”  She cried against my shoulder, not talking again until she calmed down some.  “I was thinking about what Min Young said yesterday.”  She sniffled and wiped her eyes on a tissue.

            “I’m sorry about this whole thing baby.  I shouldn’t have been so stupid as to even start this mess.  I’ve just brought in so many more problems.”

            She held the back of my head, pressing our foreheads together.  “Was there ever a time you weren’t protected with her?”

            “There was no time at all.  The only time we did that was the times you saw in those videos and the past three weeks before those times.”

            She sighed.  “How many in all?”

            “Do you really want to know?”

            “Never mind,” she sighed.  “But none of the occasions had one time where you weren’t smart.”

            “Not once,” I promised.

            She sighed.  “My heart hurts…”

            I rubbed her back.  “I’m sorry.”

            She sat up, pulling my arms away.  “I’m going to go home for a bit.  I’ll be back later unless something happens.  I’ll let the nurse know that you should have your phone.  Kevin dropped it by last night.”

            “Thanks baby.”

            She got up and picked up her purse.

            “Baby?”

            “Hmm?”

            “Give me a hug at least?”

            She turned and squeezed me tightly, kissing the top of my head.  “I love you babe.”

            I pressed my ear to her heart.  “I love you, too, baby.”

            Li straightened up, hiking her purse up.  “I’ll come see you later, ok?”

            I took her hand.  “Uh-uh, give me a smile.”

            She smiled and squeezed my hand.

            I smiled back.  “That’s my girl.  I’ll see you later, baby.”

            “Be a good boy, Mr. Kim.  If I get any reports from the nurse or your doctor, I’ll really let your mother get onto you.”

            “I’ll be good, Eomma,” I said childishly.

            Li giggled.  “Yeobo, you’re so silly.  I’ll see you later.”  She left the room with a smile on her lips.

            I smiled, too.  Leaning back into the bed, I stared up at the ceiling.  “We’ll be ok…”

            A nurse brought my phone in a few minutes after Lizzie left, leaving it on the table beside me.  I thanked her as she walked out the door and went back to my thoughts.

            My eyelids fell and, for the first time in the longest time, I slept peacefully.


They're getting better even as Eli is recovering. Happy days for Eli & Li.
New person coming into story next chapter. Stay tuned~
(I wrote him in before I even became an actual fan of the group he's in. These chaps have been written for three weeks. I've been working on Chapter 7 this whole time. x.X)