Chapter 4: Why Has This Happened Like This?

After The Fire

            Kevin, Chunji, and I were in the living room.  No one was talking, and I’d finally calmed down enough to stop crying.  My mind was elsewhere.

            “Yah, I feel so weird.

            “Why’s that sis?

            “I don’t know Oppa.  I have this really off feeling, though.”  My body felt strange.  I was tingling as if I was experiencing aftershock.  I picked up my phone and saw that my mother-in-law was calling.  “Hang on a minute.”  I answered it.  “Hello?

            “Eli called me.  He told me to tell you that he loves you and he’s sorry.

            My worry suddenly grew.  “Did he say anything else?

            “Yes, and the way he said it worries me.  He told me to tell Hana that he loves her, and that I should tell her that everyday I have her.

            “I have to go, Eomma.”  I hung up and called Eli’s phone.  “Please pick up.  Pick up…”  I cursed when he didn’t pick up his phone.  “Eli, you …”  I looked at Kevin, throwing my keys at him.  “Drive me.”  I went out the door, stepping into my shoes after I got outside.  I got into my car, yelling at Kevin to hurry up while I dialed the hospital.  I told them to send an ambulance to the house and tried calling Eli again while Kevin started towards our house.

            “Damn it Eli…”  I called again when he didn’t pick up.

            Kevin pulled in front of the house; the ambulance was already there.

            Paramedics were bringing Eli out of the house and putting him in the back when I got there.

            “Follow us to the hospital, Kevin.”  I got out of the car and ran to where they had Eli.

            One of the EMTs recognized me.  “Mrs. Kim, get in.  I’ll explain on the way.

            I bowed to him and got in the back.  The other two got in the front seats.  I looked down at my husband’s face.  “How did you do it?” I whispered.  “Why did you do it?”  I started to cry.

            “He had a shard of glass and he cut his wrist open.  He missed the artery, luckily, but he went unconscious and has lost a lot of blood.

            I took Eli’s right hand, enclosing it in both of mine.

            His skin was cool to the touch.

            I faintly felt his pulse beating in his wrist and wiped my cheek with the sleeved part of my shoulder.  I waited for Kevin at the hospital entrance and went with him to where they’d taken Eli.

            The doctors with him had to restart his heart since it’d stopped.

            I hugged Kevin and buried my face in his neck, crying and screaming Eli’s name over and over.

            “Lizzie, come on.”  Kevin pulled me into the waiting room and held me close.

            We waited for what seemed like forever.

            A man came up to us.  “Mrs. Kim?

            “Yes?

            “I’m Jang Ya Won, your husband’s doctor.  We got your husband’s pulse back.  However, he’s in critical condition right now.  We had to give him a transfusion due to having so much blood loss, which caused his poor state.  We’ll monitor him for the next 48 hours and see if he recovers well enough to go back home.  If he can be allowed to go home, we’ll need you to be with him for the next few weeks or so.  If not, you’ll need to find someone to keep watch over him.

            I stood up and bowed.  “Thank you.  May I see my husband?

            “Of course.

            I turned to Kevin.  “Go back and tell Oppa I’ll be at the hospital.  Just…don’t tell him I’m with Eli.  Can you please do that?”

            “Sure.”

            “Kevin, can you not tell anyone about what Eli did, too?  I’d like if no one knew for now.”

            “I understand.”  He hugged me, kissing my forehead.  “I love you Lizzie.”

            “I love you, too.  Be safe, and don’t worry about me getting back.”

            “I’ll come get you if you need to.”

            “Thanks.  I’ll see you later.”  I followed the doctor and bowed to him once again, slipping into Eli’s hospital room.  I sat beside him and took his hand in both of mine again.  His pulse was stronger now, relieving me immensely.  “Oh Eli, why did you do that, you idiot?  Did you even see that stupid note I wrote you?”  I sighed and set my purse down with one hand, pulling my phone out.  I called Eli’s mother.

            “It you Lizzie?

            “Neh, it’s me Eomma.  It’s a good thing you told me.  Eomma, Eli almost died…”  I wiped a tear away.  “Can you keep Hana for a few weeks?  I have to watch Eli after he gets out of the hospital.

            “Sure sweetheart.  It’ll be no problem.  Is he alright?

            “He’s in critical condition and is being monitored for the next 48 hours.  He had to get a blood transfusion, too.

            “What happened?

            I sighed.  “Long story short, Kevin’s sister showed me videos and pictures showing Eli cheating with a woman from work, and I was really upset so I went home and packed a suitcase.  I wasn’t going to leave him, but I guess he thought I was and tried to kill himself.”  I started crying again.  “Eomma, I’m mad that he would do something like that to me, but I’m madder at the fact that he thought suicide was the answer.  I even wrote him a note telling him that I needed to get out of the house and that I felt we should be separated for a couple of weeks to a month only.

            “My god…Lizzie, I’m so sorry baby girl.

            I looked at my husband.  “He said some pretty hurtful things before I left, but I can’t help but love him, Eomma.  I’ll forgive him some day.

            “I don’t mind watching Hana.  Just nurse that boy back to health so you can get onto him for thinking he could take an ‘easy way’ out.  Then, I will also give him an earful for doing everything, too.

            I smiled.  “Thanks Eomma.  We love you all.

            “We love you both, too.  Oh, looks like someone wants to talk.

            A coo came onto the phone.

            I smiled.  “Hana, Mommy loves you.”

            She babbled to me happily.

            I squeezed Eli’s hand.  “Daddy loves you, too.  Mommy and Daddy will see you soon.”

            Eomma came back, chuckling.  “She’s a happy baby.

            “She always has been.

            “We’ll see you later.  Hana, say bye to your Mommy.”

            My baby girl made her goodbye noise.

            “Bye Eomma.  Bye Hana.”  I put my phone back in my purse and looked over at Eli’s face, moving the hair out of his eyes.  “You look so fragile in here.”  I turned my head to look at his heart monitor, watching the line move as his heart beat.  It picked up a little, just as his hand started to move in between both of mine.

            I looked over at him.  “Honey?

            He looked over at me through squinting eyes.  “Who are you?  I don’t recognize you.”  He touched my face, starting at my forehead and going down to my cheeks, nose, lips, and chin.

            “Eli,” I breathed when his fingers touched my lips, feeling the spark of electricity from his fingertips.

            “What are you doing here?”

            I moved the chair as close as I could and leaned down to kiss him.  “Babe, you’re such an idiot.  I left you a note on your nightstand.  I wasn’t leaving you, nor was I going to move out.  I was upset and mad as hell at you, yes, but I wasn’t just going to give up.”

            “But…you gave me our engagement ring and your wedding band.”

            “I know, but you pissed me off.  Besides, I don’t think I could leave if I wanted to.”

            “Why’s that?”

            “The main reason is because I’m very much deeply in love with you.  Even after what you did, I still love you Eli.”

            “Baby…I’m so sorry.”

            I cupped his cheek.  “I won’t say it’s ok, since you hurt me so, but you have forever to work on making me forgive you.”

            He smiled.  “I love you baby.”

            “I love you, too, Eli.”

            “Wait…what’s the other reason?”

            “There really isn’t one that’s extremely specific.”

            “Are you sure?”

            “Yes Eli.”

            “Baby, come here.”  He opened his arms.

            I laid in his side and laid my head against his chest.

            Eli kissed the top of my head, hugging me.  “Min Young called me, and I got so pissed at her.  Oh yeah, did you get a chance to read the text I sent you?”

            “I read it and what Oppa sent you back.”

            There was a knock on the door.

            I moved out of Eli’s arms and sat up, squeezing his hand when he pouted.

            The door opened, and my doctor came in.

            “Hey Lizzie.  Eli,” he nodded to my husband.

            I smiled.  “Hey Park Oppa.  Did you get them in?

            “I did.

            “Yes?

            He smiled.  “It’s definitely a yes.

            I smiled and got up, hugging his neck.  “I’m ok?

            “You’ll be fine this time.”  He patted my back.  “Just don’t forget.

            “Thanks for checking for me.

            “No problem, sweetheart.  Just stay healthy, ok?

            I nodded.  “I’ll see you soon.”  I waved goodbye as he left the room, then sat down in the chair.

            “What was that all about?”

            “Nothing,” I said, nonchalantly.

            “Baby, tell me.”

            I looked up at him.  “I’ve been trying to see if it’s ok for me to get pregnant, Eli.”

            He sat up.  “What?”

            I smiled.  “I want us to have another baby.”

            He took my wrist and pulled me onto the bed, hugging me tightly.  “I love you so much.”

            I ran my fingers through his soft, tussled hair.  “I love you, too, my boy.”  I kissed his cheek.

            He rubbed my belly.  “Are you going to be a brother or sister for Hana?”

            “We’ll just have to wait and see, but first we’ll have to conceive.”

            “My silly little poet,” Eli’s eyes met mine.  “I love you baby.”

            “I love you, Eli.”

            “So, when is Hana coming home?”

            “After you get a little bit better.”

            “When are you coming home?”

            “I’ll go get my suitcase and take it back tomorrow.  Once I’m done with that, I’ll come back up here.”

            “Tell me who showed you the videos and pictures.”

            “Are you going to get mad?”

            “If it’s who I think it is.”

            “Deanna showed and sent me them, but Kevin took all the pictures and the first two videos.  She took the last.”  I sighed, looking at him.  “It’s completely over between you and her.”

            “It is.”

            “Why did you do it?”

            “I don’t know, baby.  But I want you to know that she started it all.”

            “When did it start?”

            “About two or three months before you had the miscarriage,” he frowned.

            I covered his mouth with mine.  “Eli, it’ll be ok.  We’ll work hard, ok?”

            “I wanted to tell you that all those stupid fights were meant to be for her.  It was weird.  When I was arguing with you, I always mistook you for Min Young.”

            “She didn’t have a miscarriage though.”

            “You’re right.  She has a kid.”

            I sighed.  “I know she does.”

            “What?  You know?”

            “She is Park’s younger sister, Eli.  I met her not long after I moved here to be with you.”

            “I never met her, though.”

            “She was always visiting Oppa and Eunji Unnie.  She was in America for years until a year ago, studying at a college.  I’ve known Min Young for a long time, Eli.”

            “You have?”

            “Yes darling.”

            Someone burst through the door.  “Eli!!!!!

            “Speak of the devil,” he muttered.

            Min Young stopped in her tracks.  “Unnie!  W-What are you doing here?”  She looked to Eli.  “You were cheating on me AND your wife with HER?  My best friend Oppa?  Really?

            I shared a look with Eli and stood up, walking in front of Min Young.

            She backed up, her back hitting the wall.

            I grabbed her face.  “You didn’t know, Min Young-ah?”  I looked in her eyes, seeing the fear there.  “I AM his wife.

            “Y-you married Eli Oppa?  Unnie, you can’t be serious.

            “Oh really?”  I went over to my purse and pulled my phone out, finding a picture of our wedding day.  I showed it to my younger friend.

            “Y-Y-Yah, why did you do this?  Fabricate a photo of you and Oppa being married, that’s not smart.

            Eli groaned.  “Baby…”

            I went to him and grabbed his hand.  “What is it, my love?”

            “Can you dose me up?”

            “Yeah.”  I clicked the self administering painkiller button once.  “Better sweetheart?”

            “Thank you baby.”

            I leaned down and kissed him softly.  “You’re welcome.”

            He hugged my waist.  “Give me your left hand.”

            I left him have my hand and watched him slip my engagement ring and wedding band back on.

            “You’re never allowed to take these off again, Elizabeth Kim.”

            I smiled and kissed him.  “Yes Daddy.”

            Min Young was staring at us in shock.  “So it’s true.”  She sat down on the bench beside her.  “Yah, Oppa, why didn’t you tell me you were married to her?  I would never have tried to get with you so hard.

            I went to her, sitting down.  “Yah Min Young-ah, what did Unnie tell you in the first place?

            “Don’t try to steal other lady’s guys.

            “Did you remember that when you were with my husband?

            “Of course I did, Unnie!  I never believed him when he said he was married!

            “Why not?

            “He never talked about you to me.  I didn’t know anything.

            “I know how you are, Min Young.  Don’t worry about it, ok?”  I hugged her shoulders.

            “Why am I in the doghouse, and she gets off free?”

            “She doesn’t, Eli.  Besides, you could’ve prevented it all.”  I stood up and sat back in the chair beside his bed.

            “Baby, get back up here.”

            “Why?”

            “Because I want you to be with me,” he pouted.

            “But honey, I’m right here.

            “I want you to be closer.  Come on baby.  Please?

            “Fine.”  I sat on the side of the bed, holding Eli’s hand.  “Better?

            “Much better.

            “By the way Eli, your mother knows everything.

            “YOU TOLD MY MOTHER?!  Baby, how could you?  She’s going to kill me.

            “At least she has good reason,” I muttered.

            “BABY!

            “What Eli?  It’s not my fault.  She deserved to know why she has to keep our daughter for an extra week or so.

            Min Young started to cry out of the blue, causing me and Eli both to jump.

            I looked at her.  “Yah, Youngie, what’s wrong?

            “Unnie, I’m so sorry.”  She hid her face in her hands.

            I stood up and went to her, sitting down.  I wrapped my arms around her, patting her back.  “It’s alright saeng-ah.  Calm down.

            She buried her face into my shoulder and still kept crying.

            “Yah, Park Min Young.  it up.

            She sniffled.  “It’s hard to Unnie.  Something else has happened.

            “What’s that?

            She whispered softly.  “I’m pregnant Unnie.  I’m sorry.

            I looked at her, holding her shoulders.  “WHAT?!”  I didn’t hit the floor at first, but I sure as hell passed out and hit my head against something.


Even more unexpected as it goes, huh?