3 Bang

Voice Message

I feel like I'm about to throw up. I've turned the house upside down searching for Junhong and I haven't found him anywhere. My phone can't connect to his cell phone and I'm feeling extremely desperate.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Dae-Daehyun, Daehyun I-"

"What's wrong?" I take a deep breath and try to steady myself. I can hardly breathe.

"I can't find Junhong. He's g-gone."

"Where?"

"I don't know!" I'm choking on my own sobs, causing me to cough and shake uncontrollably.

"Bang, stay calm. I'll be right over, ok? Sit tight, I'll be there soon." His voice is concerned yet reassuring. I'm anxious for him to arrive. I just need someone, anyone, to hold me and tell me that everything is going to be alright, that Junhong is safe, that he'll be home soon.

We've fought so much lately, but I never expected him to leave. It's him and I, we are one. I need him and he needs me. At least, that's what I thought.

I hear Daehyun before I see him.

"Bang? Bang, where are you?" He soon comes into view and I feel weak to the knees.

"Daehyun." He is quick to my side. I fall heavily into his embrace, holding onto him to support. The tears flooding my eyes seem infinite, like a waterfall.

"Where have you looked?"

"Everywhere!" I cry. It's been a little over three hours since I arrived home to find Junhong missing. I tried to stay calm, reassuring myself that he'd be home soon, but after an hour of doing so the effect wore off. I called the friends of his I knew, feeling dread each time they told me they hadn't seen him that afternoon or earlier. This wasn't like him. He always tells me where he is, no questions asked. The numerous calls to his out of range cell phone caused me to panic. The note, the blood, the voice mail. Nothing added up and I was very, very scared. No, more like terrified. I didn't want to call the police. He'd murder me if they found him and took him in when he was simply hanging out with friends. I'm too much of a up, I've realized this. I love him too much to want to knowingly hurt him.

"Have you tried-"

"I called all his friends, I can't reach his cell, he left a-" I hiccup and pause.

"A what?"

"A note, and a message. He's really gone, Daehyun."

I reluctantly show him the evidence I had found. Each time I look at it, it reminds me of the horrible reality: Junhong had really left me. My heart is trying to convince me it's untrue, that he'll come back again like always; It's trying to protect me. But unfortunately, my head and logic know the truth. He meant it this time. He hasn't left me with anything like this before.

"Bang, I think we should call the police."

"But-"

"Bang." He looks at me with pity filled eyes. It makes me sick.

"He needs to be found. I don't think he's coming back on his own this time." I watch in a daze as Daehyun calls the emergency line. I try to accept the cold, bitter truth lying right in front of me.

I can't. It's too hard.