2 Junhong

Voice Message

I'm cold. I'm hungry. I'm tired. I don't know where I'm heading. I scold myself mentally as I walk aimlessly along unknown streets. I should have planned this more carefully. I could rent a hotel room, if only I had the money and knew where the hell I was. All the feelings I had not long before of hurt, regret and sadness have been replaced with anger towards myself. I'm such an idiot, always trying to be the dramatic one.

It's when I'm ambling along a brightly lit pathway that I hear the loud, drunken laughter. I spy a small group of men up ahead, stumbling and chuckling, the lot of them obviously dead-set drunk. I pull the hood of my jumper over my head as I near them, hoping to glide by unnoticed.

I should have known luck wouldn't be on my side.

"Hey, what's a young fella like you doing out so late?" One of the taller ones calls out to me as I approach.

"Looking for a good time?" One of them slurs, causing the rest of them to burst into fits of laughter as if it's the funniest thing they've ever heard. I ignore them as best as I can as I pass by, relieved to be out of their way.

Or so I thought.

"Angel, baby, come back. Lemme talk it out wiff chu." I hear their loud, uncoordinated footsteps clattering towards me and I quicken my pace, speed walking my way along the pavement. I cautiously shoot a look behind my shoulder and see a few of them begin awkwardly running towards me, almost tripping over their own feet. That's the moment I decide to run. I knew that there was no way they could catch up to me in their current states but, for some unknown reason, my body took on the fight or flight tactic, choosing to flee from the scene.

I quickly duck down an alleyway I'd spied up ahead and slip and slide along the wet cobblestone ground beneath my feet. I use a large dumpster on my right to my advantage by ducking behind it and hiding myself from view.

"You're not gonna find him now, you've scared him off."

"So, he wasn't gonna stay anyway."

"He might have."

"Shut it. Let's go back to mine for drinks."

I attempt to calm myself and my racing heart down as I hear their voices slowly fading into the distance. I'm thirsty, cold and scared. Who knows what could have happened if they were a little more sober. I slip my rucksack off my shoulders as I pull my knees up to my chin and lean against the damp brick wall, my body hidden from sight by the bin's looming shadow. I search through my bag until I find my phone. The time illuminated in the darkness reads 11:29pm. I toss it back in, frustrated. I didn't think this through. I packed myself only the bare necessities: my phone, a bottle of water, some snacks, my ipod and a change of clothes. I guess I didn't think I'd be spending a night out in the cold. I should have thought ahead what I was supposed to do once I left.

I scull the remaining liquid left in my bottle. My throat is still raspy and sore from my run despite this. I feel my nose beginning to run and I wipe carelessly on the sleeve of my jumper. It's cold, I'm tired, I'm lonely...

I lean my head against the wall and hug my belongings to my chest. Now, more than ever, I miss Bang.

 

 

 

How is it? Let me know.