Fear

Snow Ends It All

 

 

The happiness was cracked in half by a scream filled with fear. Kyungsoo pulled away from Tao’s side that he was sinking into. His eyes wide and searching the area around them. It was dark now, pitch black where the courtyard is. His heart was racing, he was scared. Tao stood and shifted to stand in front of the new boy. His movements sharp and fast, exact. His eyes scanned the darkness carefully, his muscles tensed and his body stiff in a way to protect the other.

Another scream breaks the silence and people start to run out and circle around the darkness. The scream was turning almost animalistic. It sounded natural to Kyungsoo, but he hoped it wasn’t. The scream sounded like a mix of things; screeching of tires, a child’s scream, a bird’s call and the sound of someone calling out in pain – being stabbed. It made the hairs on Kyungsoo’s arms stand up, his body tremble with fear.

Tao turns quickly, wrapping his arms around Kyungsoo as something large and shadowed raced to them, taking hold to the bench. The bolts that hold that bench to the ground start to shatter and undo. Tao’s breathing is all Kyungsoo hears as the bench is pulled up and into his back, making him crash into Tao’s chest. Kyungsoo holds his breath as they’re pushed into the darkness, Tao’s arms tightening around him.

Everything stopped. The two boys stood in pitch black, the bench they were sitting upon dropped to the ground. The new boy was in pain, the bench had created small blisters in his legs and back. There were small cuts and dents too. His fingers were curled around the front of Tao’s shirt – he was frozen there and didn’t want to move.

Tao’s arms slowly lowered from around Kyungsoo. He looked down at the new boy’s hands, holding onto his shirt tightly. Tao left the hands there as he looked around, turning his head from side to side. He sighed softly, slowly pulling Kyungsoo’s hands down from his shirt, he couldn’t see the wrinkles that were created, but he could feel them.

“It’ll be okay, Kyungsoo.” Tao spoke softly, holding onto the new boy’s hands tightly. Tao stepped closer to the other, letting his hands go as he wraps his arms around Kyungsoo in a tight embrace. “It’ll be okay.” Tao whispered.

As Tao embraced Kyungsoo, darkness embraced them both. It pulled them back, closer to the once colourful trees that rounded the building. Tao’s feet dug into the ground as an attempt to stand still. It didn’t work; they were pulled back and flung into a tree. Tao’s back cracked at the sudden force; he whimpered in pain and slid down with Kyungsoo in his lap. His arms still held onto Kyungsoo, but weakly now. Tao was injured.

“T-Tao, are you okay?” Kyungsoo asked softly, he moved slowly in the other’s arms. He didn’t want to hurt him, he moved to face Tao more. He moved his hands up to Tao’s cheeks, cupping them gently. Even in the darkness, Kyungsoo could see Tao’s features clearly. The closeness made the new boy’s heart thump in his ears loudly.

“I’m fine.” Tao lied. He mustered up a weak smile and kept his arms around the smaller boy. “I’m fine.” Tao repeated, he wanted the words to be real – but they couldn’t be in the darkness. Kyungsoo moved his hands down slowly, resting them on Tao’s shoulders. Kyungsoo wanted to protect Tao, but he didn’t know how.

Kyungsoo moved quickly, wrapping his arms around Tao and pulling him closer. His breathing was thicker, he was afraid. Something was pressing into his back, it was sharp, it pieced through his shirt and skin, sinking into his flesh. It was cold, the new boy noted how cold it was – metal. Kyungsoo was being stabbed in the back by something and it hurt him. His shirt started to soak with blood. He looked down to see the sharp and shiny blade cut through his lower chest and slam into Tao. Everything went black for Kyungsoo.