Awaken

Snow Ends It All

 

“He’s waking up, move out the way. No, no, not there! You’re an idiot, move!” Voices filled the room with some mumbling. There was a loud beating in the boy’s ears. It was a beat of some kind and he didn’t know what it was. His mind was alive with colour and thoughts. He was alive.

“I swear to all things blue, move!” Another voice said, there was a soft push and the boy’s eyes opened. Everything was a blur in his head. Nothing made sense and he didn’t care for it.

“Oh look, love! He’s awake. Hello there, Kyungsoo.” A man said, smiling at the boy. He stepped closer to him, covering his eyes with a hand and chanting a few words softly. When the man’s hand lifted Kyungsoo could see clearly, but too clearly. Everything was clear. He was sure he could see sound.

“Where am I?” Kyungsoo asked in a soft, rasp filled voice. He was confused, lost at the thought of where he was. The last he saw of living was a night sky filled with snow.

“Well…how do you explain this? Hmm, you’re in another world. Just like yours, but no one dies and no one can really leave.” The man said with a nod. He smiled again, helping the boy sit up.

“And you never grow old. Not once in the millions of lives you’ll live.” He added with a nod. The boy was still confused but he gave the man a nod. He looked around the room with large eyes – they took everything in. He could see so much with such eyes, and it amazed him.

“Tao, dear, show him around a little. I need to help the others with dinner.” The man said, patting the other boy’s shoulder before leaving. Tao looked over Kyungsoo as Kyungsoo did the same to Tao. He looked scary, like he’d murder you in seconds if he had the thought. But he didn’t, the things that filled Tao’s mind were those of soft things and pretty balloons. He was a kitten at heart, just as lost as Kyungsoo was in this world.

“I’m Tao. I’ll show you around this place.” Tao said, walking closer to the other boy. He inched back slightly at the speed Tao moved in. He walked faster than expected, his movements unhuman. He held his hand to the other boy, a smile plastering over his lips. “I won’t hurt you.” He said in the softest voice he could muster. Kyungsoo looked over his hand and took it with a nod. He wasn’t sure, but he wanted to know what it felt like. It looked softer than anything – and it was.

Tao led Kyungsoo out of the room he had awakened in. The halls were lightly coloured, small orbs hovered above them that created the light. It was a sight to be seen. It was something so odd and unnatural that it intrigued the new boy to no end. Everything was so different and new, so unnatural and weird. Kyungsoo felt at peace in this place, he was calm and still inside.

Tao showed Kyungsoo many things. They were inside a large building that was surrounded by large trees of many colours. Kyungsoo was sure he’d seen a blue tree. The sky went from a deep purple to a light aqua, the clouds were a light pink and the grass was a deep blue. It was like a dream, but Tao assured Kyungsoo it wasn’t. He even got a pinch out of asking if it was really real.

One thing that Tao had shown the new boy was the Optical. A large room made of glass and shimmering and colourful lights. The room was amazing to Kyungsoo. The sight of everything he’d ever dream or think of in one room. The room made him think of home again, his mother cooking his meals and washing the sheets. He both missed and didn’t miss it.

They stood in the Optical. A light breeze washing over them as the room boomed with memories. Kyungsoo smiled as he felt loved in the room. He felt wanted and alive – even more alive. He was glad to be there, now.

After hours of touring the two came to another room. It was nicely sized and housed a table large enough for twenty people. Chairs filled the sides and people occupied the chairs.

“Oh, there you are! Come here, Kyungsoo.” The man from hours ago said, waving his hand. Tao pulled the new boy to him, seating him down. Kyungsoo looked around at the nine new faces – eight new faces. Kyungsoo knew a face and his eyes were fixed on it. His heart sped up at the sight of him. Alive and breathing, colour in his cheeks and his hair fixed up and back. Everything in Kyungsoo’s mind shattered to see the one he once loved and lost sit there, alive and well.

His voice came out cracked and filled with pain and sorrow. “Jongin...” The new boy had said. The room went silent for a moment as the men looked at Kyungsoo. He swallowed back tears and looked at his pale hands. “You’re here.” He whispered. Jongin didn’t answer, he looked at another man and gave him a nod.

“He’s sorry he left you.” He said softly. Tears swelled in the new boy’s eyes and soon rolled down his cheeks. His heart was beating loudly and his head started to hurt. He didn’t want to be here now. He wanted to leave, die again and awake in his old life. He wanted to die all over again, feel the pain he felt then and sing the same song. But this time, he didn’t want to wake up where he was.

“Tao, why don’t you and Kyungsoo eat dinner alone.” The man said. Tao stood and walked around the table to the new boy. He helped him up and led him out of the silent room.

Kyungsoo sat staring at the bowl of light tan porridge. At least he thought it was porridge. He’d calmed down minutes before, his tears wiped away by the sleeves of his shirt. He didn’t know what he felt after seeing Jongin again. The last time he saw him, he was covered in scratches and old bruises, his skull cracked in ten places and his mind spilled out onto the road.

The thought was swept from his mind as Tao started to speak softly. Ramblings of his old life and loves – he left his pet cat behind, Marbles and an old stuffed panda called Righty. He had a nice car that his parents bought him in China. That’s where Tao’s from, China. He moved to Korea a few years before he died. He lived with one of the other’s, Wufan – the tallest one of the eight Kyungsoo met. He was learning their names, it wasn’t hard for him to put names to faces.

Kyungsoo learnt many things about Tao. He liked to talk about things – happy, sad, scary, loving, just things. Anything would do. Kyungsoo learnt about the fear of frogs and the love of peaches. It made Kyungsoo smile again. His mind was becoming clearer. He was getting happy, again.

Then it was Tao’s turn to learn about Kyungsoo. He learnt that the other was once a singer. He rode a bike everywhere, it was old but moved quickly. He learnt that Kyungsoo lived with his mother and took care of their two cats; Moon and Machine. Kyungsoo left his favourite thing behind, ice cream.

“There’s ice cream here.” Tao said with a small nod. He stood and walked over to the door. “Come on, I’ll show you.” He said with a smile. The new boy stood and smiled, walking out with Tao.

It was different. It was still cold and sweet, but different – so different. The flavour he had was berry-root. It tasted like candy floss and raspberry soda. Kyungsoo liked the taste, it was nice and sweet. They sat on a bench outside, watching the sky turn purple and the black shiny moon rise. It was a beautiful sight, it made Kyungsoo warm. He leaned against Tao and closed his eyes for a moment, smiling at the warmth he felt. Happiness filled his mind.