[seven]

Sixteen Summers Ago

 

Cameras flash like aggressive starlight bulbs as EXO-M, sans Kris, take their seats behind the table that has been set up for them. Water bottles have been placed beside the bunch of microphones and speaker devices on the table, but they go unnoticed amidst the commotion.

The reporters are standing on the tips of their toes, craning their necks over the flashes and sea of cameras, hands raised and voices desperately shouting questions, vying for attention. The poor fans who managed to get in are drowning in the crowd, clutching signs with supportive messages.

As the oldest, Minseok takes the lead and greets the press, who immediately fall close to silent. The reporters on their laptops type away furiously as Minseok continues.

"Today, we are here for an important announcement," he says, looking down the line at the other four, who nod, before facing the room again. "After sixteen years of activity, we, EXO-M, have decided to disband."

Suddenly, the room is in an uproar. The fans burst into tears and wail unintelligible words, while the reporters are practically busting a limb to have their questions answered. Minseok and the other four don't take questions, choosing instead to progress at their own pace and answer any remaining questions afterward.

Jongdae raises a hand, indicating that he would like to speak. The media representatives are considerably quieter after a few moments, though the sound of wailing can still be heard from the line of fans. He clears his throat. "We are disbanding on good terms," Jongdae says. "This isn't the result of a misunderstanding or disagreement. We, as a group, came to an agreement with our company and with each other, and we have decided it will be for the best. Of course, since we are brothers, we will still be seeing each other on a regular basis."

Yixing butts in before the press can leap on them again. "We would like to thank everyone−our boss, our manager, teachers, stylists, choreographers, and fans, for supporting us for the past sixteen years. It's been an amazing ride, and while we're a little sad to be disbanding, everything comes to an end, and we've had our time in the spotlight. We look forward to going out into the world and chasing new dreams and ventures, and starting families." His voice shakes a little at the end, so he clears his throat before plowing on. "Once again, thank you for everything."

An eerie silence falls over the room; the sound of awe. It's finally starting to sink in that EXO-M is actually disbanding.

Tao nods and says, "We will now take questions, but please, don't yell at us."

One reporter in the second row raises her hand silently, and Minseok nods. She stands and the whole room turns to look at her. Unfazed, she says, in a loud and clear voice, "Where is your leader? Why is Kris absent?"

The four of them exchange quick glances, silently coming to an agreement. Just be honest.

Yixing smiles, bowing once to the reporter out of respect, before saying, "We apologise for our leader's absence. To be honest, we also thought Kris would be attending this conference, but he has something very important to do. As his brothers, it is our role to understand and let him do what he needs to. We hope that, for his sake and ours, you can respect our privacy and wish him the best, as we are. "

 

***

 

Thankfully, the driver knows his way around the coast better than Kris ever will, and they arrive at what Kris hopes is Luhan's school before the scheduled time of his showcase (he'd done a little research on the internet just to make sure).

He thanks the driver and runs out of the car, camera bag slung over his body, with the bouquet clutched in his hands. The school looms up ahead, across a red brick pathway that runs between two immaculate green lawns which Kris does not stop to admire.

Most of the parents and guests have already filed into the performing arts centre, but a few are still walking in. Kris tags onto the end of the line, trailing behind them and hoping no one recognises him.

Several heads turn as he walks past, and whispers are directed his way. He hears his name a few times, but he tries to ignore it as he takes a seat at the back. The performing arts centre isn't that large and with his height, Kris thinks it should be no problem getting Luhan's attention.

He takes a seat as the room buzzes with excited chatter, his nerves suddenly gathering and tightening in a clump in the pit of his stomach.

Ever since Kris had made his decision to leave the entertainment industry, he's wanted to apologise and explain himself to Luhan. But now that he has the chance, all the words he'd planned have flown out of his mind.

He knows for sure that he made the right choice, though. If there was no space for both Luhan and his career, then one would have to leave, and he's taken care of that now.

He may not know the first thing about parenthood and being a father, but for Luhan, he will try. He'll free up some space in his heart, and in his life.

Someone−the principal, Kris assumes− comes up to the podium and speaks into the microphone, introducing the first act. Kris hears the names Sehun and Luhan, and he jumps to his feet immediately.

"Luhan!" he shouts. Thankfully, other people are cheering, too, but he's still loud enough to elicit a few stares.

Kris watches as, onstage, Luhan's head turns, eyes widening in surprise when he glimpses Kris. His mouth falls open and for a moment, Kris thinks that Luhan may just have forgotten that he's on stage and about to perform.

The other boy, Sehun, gives Luhan a nudge and the latter comes back down to Earth, shaking his head a little. Sehun jerks his head towards the crowd, and Luhan nods, mouth moving and forming an apology that Kris doesn't hear.

Just when Kris thinks that he will go ignored, Luhan turns his way. He and Sehun were supposed to start a few seconds ago, but he spares a few for Kris and smiles, holding up two thumbs in Kris' direction.

With a grin that threatens to split his cheeks, Kris returns the gesture and holds two thumbs up, nodding encouragingly. He's sure Luhan can't see his face clearly from here, but his eyes say, I'm here for you.

Maybe he wasn't there sixteen summers ago, but he'll be here now.

 

***

 

After the showcase, Kris cranes his head over the sea of students and parents, looking for Luhan. He's surprised when he sees Luhan running towards him, pushing through the crowd to get to him.

"Kris!" Luhan yells, when he's in hearing range. "I mean, Dad," he says, correcting himself. He's now right in front of Kris; they're in the thick of the crowd, but neither of them move. "You're here."

Kris feels his heart threatening to burst. Luhan had called him Dad. "Of course," he says. "Of course I'm here."

Luhan shakes his head, and Kris sees that he's crying. "I couldn't believe it when I saw you. I thought you wouldn't care about my stupid showcase, but you're here and oh, God," Luhan blubbers, wiping his face. "How did you find my school? Don't you have somewhere more important to be?"

Following some kind of deeply buried instinct he never knew about, Kris shakes his head, pulling Luhan into his arms. "No; here is where I need to be." They break apart, and Kris hands him the bouquet, which has been a little crushed by their hug and his nervous fingers. "You were amazing up there. I never knew you could dance."

Luhan smiles. "Dancing is my release," he says. "I still can't believe you actually got to see me dance."

"Well, I did." Kris' lips curve upwards. "And I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Everything," he says. "I'm sorry you thought I wouldn't be there to see you do anything. I'm sorry for being so harsh earlier and for just dumping you at the hotel. I'm sorry for those sixteen years of your life that I wasn't there for." Kris heaves a sigh. "But I'll make it up to you. I'll be here for you now, until you ask me to go away."

"What...what are you saying?" Luhan frowns. "What about−"

Kris shakes his head. "Right now, my brothers are at the press conference that I'm supposed to be attending. They're announcing our disbandment."

Luhan's mouth forms a surprised little 'o'. "So yesterday... when you asked me to come to the press conference..."

Kris nods. "I wanted you to be there, so you could see and hear the news for yourself, instead of having to hear it from some news outlet."

Luhan still looks shell-shocked. "So, you... you disbanded and now you're here?"

"Yes," Kris says, nodding. "I told you; I'll be here for you."

"You did this for me?" Luhan shakes his head in disbelief. "You left your career?"

Kris smiles weakly. "I'm your father. I'm supposed to do everything I can for you, aren't I?"

Tears flow freely down Luhan's face now, and he launches himself at Kris, who envelopes his son in another hug. "I can't believe this," Kris hears Luhan repeating. "I can't believe this."

Kris pats Luhan's head, smoothing his honey curls. "Neither can I," he murmurs.