The Meeting

Life Just Happens

I wake up this time at six, partly from the nightmares, but also so I can get ready for later this morning. Climbing down off my bunk I grab a big shirt and just my undergarments, heading to the bathroom I take a shower. I walk back to the room grabbing a clean pair of dark wash skinny jeans; I head to the closet, picking an oxford shirt, changing quickly after drying my hair in an old towel.

Heading back I do make makeup simply, by the time I’m done the girls are all up and dressed as well, coming in to do their makeup. “Unnie, I love you.” Jinri says stopping me in the hall and hugging me tightly.

I smile happily, the action making me feel a lot better about this. “I love you too Jinri.” I mumble hugging her back just as tightly. “We’ll have to use your aygeo to get Sooyoung and Yoora to treat us to dinner sometime soon.” I when we pull apart. Jinri simply nods her head.

The other girls all stand ready by the time Ian shows up to take us in, I slip my shoes on, a lot of me is absolutely terrified of what will happen after 9:05. We have five minutes to ourselves for them to say whatever they want.

In the car I’m distracted, by these thoughts, I keep trying to guess what will happen, it’d ease my mind if they’d just told or sent some way for me to know what these five minutes are for. When we arrive at Cube we quickly walk in; myself straight to the coordinator’s room to get my hair done. Slipping my pea coat off as I enter I smile seeing Ilhoon there waiting for me, he grins seeing me. “You came in early?” I ask curiously.

“Well it is a rare day,” Ilhoon says meaning it’s a break day. “Besides how often can I just sit with you for an hour like this?” He questions as I take a seat.

I smile at him feeling a little bit more relieved as everyone shows me this kindness. “We’ll just put your hair up in a simply bun Dayoungie, it’ll be a bit more conservative, though it is difficult with your hair color.”  Jihyo says as she bushes my hair out.

I glance to the clock, an hour until nine, forty-five minutes until I have to be in the conference room. “You know, I really like this color on you.” Ilhoon says dragging me out of my head.

I smile at him thankfully. “I kinda miss your honey brown hair color,” Tease smiling at him. “Though I must admit you pull off this blonde really well.” I say smiling.

“I pull off pretty much everything well.” Ilhoon says jokingly, chuckle as Jihyo begins tugging at my hair and styling, I watch Ilhoon in the mirror making faces at me, most of them cute.

When Jihyo is done I grin happily. “Thank you, I really like it.” I say admiring the stylishly messy bun she did. Bowing Ilhoon and I both leave, heading to the cafeteria to eat. Grabbing my hand Ilhoon leads me to a line. “Thank you for coming in for me.” I mumble as I carefully rest my head on his shoulder.

Ilhoon simply leans over and kisses my forehead. “You look really pretty,” Ilhoon says shyly. “Aish, I wish I could take you on a date instead.” He mutters cutely.

“Me too, maybe you should take me on a date next week or something.” I with a smile. Ilhoon nods his head, even though we both know he’ll be busy with promotions for Beep Beep. “I think I want a Danish pastry and a slice of coffee bread.” I say looking at the choices.

“I’ll buy for you.” Ilhoon says happily. I chuckle, letting him buy for me this time. “Next time though you buy me breakfast.” He says teasingly.

“I’ll buy anything for my Ilsoon.” I say jokingly. Ilhoon lets out a dry laugh, though I think he is rather happy to hear that. “Looks like we’re eating with everyone today,” I say seeing not just Prodigy, but Beast, BtoB, 4Mintue, APink, Cheonmi, Julia and Melody, and Gina-Unnie.

“Well someone apparently is super special to them or something,” Ilhoon teases as we take out seats. Surprisingly Junhyung lets Ilhoon and I stay as we are without making any big brother comments. “If you don’t eat your Danish I’m going to.” He threatens after a little.

“Alright,” I say grabbing it and eating. I feel better after eating breakfast talking about how we’re excited for warmer weather, about future projects that each of us have planned to release.

Junhyung and I get up when Mr. Choi shows up waiting for us by the door closest to us. “We’ll be here.” Sooyoung promises hugging me. “It’ll be alright, we love you.” She mutters before I have to go. I nod my head and glance over my shoulder at them.

Ilhoon gets up quickly; walking over to me he pecks my lips. “I’ll be here too,” He says squeezing my hands gently before I leave the room.

 

~~~

 

I remain standing by the window looking out as I wait for Mr. and Mrs. Song to arrive. I feel restless about all this, uneasy, and a bit sick to my stomach. I think waiting like this is what I’m having a hard time with, I just want it here so I face it, but I also know when the time does come I’ll want it gone and over.

The doors open and I watch a bit nervously as two people step in, both of them looking at me in silent awe. “Dayoungie,” The woman says first.

“Dayoung,” I correct them, Dayoungie is for people I like and want to be around. I watch as they walk around to me. I’m at a loss as what will happen, but both flinched when I corrected her.

“I remember holding you when you were first born,” The woman says again, I nod my head for her to go on, keeping my arms crossed over my chest as I try to figure out what exactly is at play right now. If this is really just the best way they thought possible to meet me or if there is something else they’re after. “You were so tiny.”

“How did you know I was the same?” I ask them a bit curiously as the woman leads off. “I probably don’t still look like that tiny baby you held.” I say indifferent to the statement. My mother has held me plenty of times, she’s hugged me to stop me from crying, scolded me when I did something wrong, and has loved, cared and been there for me through everything, this woman has not.

The man this time speaks. “We were given pictures of you when you turned five; you look very similar to those.” He pauses before he speaks again. “You also still look a bit like you did when you were three.”

An intense and rather immediate response comes to me, rage, I look away trying to hold it in. “What do you want?” I ask looking back feeling tired and drained for the few words we’ve exchanged. “Mr. and Mrs. Song, I’m not sure I understand your motives for everything you’ve done.” I say opening my eyes and facing them.

Looking between themselves then back to me they smile at me, and I see it, the resemblance that my expressions share with theirs, the little things, like the color of my eyes are from Mr. Song, though my nose and mouth look more like they’re from Mrs. Song.

“To be with you, to get to know you, we’ve wanted to look for you.”  Mrs. Song says. “But Dayoungie,” She says and narrow my eyes at her again. “You should call me ‘Mom’ and Mr. Song ‘Dad’.”

“I have a mother and father, I call them ‘mom and dad’.” I say coldly as I shake my head at them. “I have another mother and father who died, I called them ‘mom and dad’. You both however are strangers to me, you’re not my parents.” I tell them struggling to keep my temper in line. “Please don’t pretend to be so.”

Mr. Choi, Junhyung and another man come in; I take my seat on the other side of the table as Junhyung pulls a seat out for me. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but Dayoung’s instructions were very clear, five minutes from the moment you walked in,” Mr. Choi says taking his own seat after shaking their hands. As they take their seats I see them looking rather displeased with how the five minutes turned out. “Shall we continue now?” He asks leaving it open for them to say anything. “Dayoung has expressed interest in wanting to know why you’ve wanted to meet her.”

“To be with our daughter,” Mr. Song say; something about it all seeming rather strange to me. I hold my tongue though at let him speak. “We’ve wanted to find Dayoung before, she is our daughter.”

“So to reestablish a relation to her,” Mr. Choi says while making note of that. “How exactly were you both planning to do this? Move to Korea? Asking Dayoung to give up her career and family she has here?” He asks while setting his pen down.

“My clients are willing to relocate,” Their lawyer says smoothly. In turn it has me gripping Junhyung’s hand under the table. “Mr. and Mrs. Song would like to make this as easy and painless for Dayoung-sshi.”

It’s at this that I feel myself explode, I glance to Mr. Choi struggling to keep it in, “Go ahead,” He says nodding for me speak.

“Make this as ‘easy and painless’ for me?” I say trying to keep my tone even. “So speaking to reporters and selling this story is making it easy and painless for me? Putting what I do at risk, the relationships I have here, and putting my family though all this is making it easy and painless?” I ask bewildered by the word choice.

“We’ve been looking for you,” Mrs. Song says matching my tone. “We’ve wanted to be with you for a long time!” She exclaims emotionally, tearing up as Mr. Song wraps his hand around her own.

“Really,” I say uninterested in the little show now, everything seeming very forced and not at all sincere, and something I’ve had to perfect myself when I don’t particularly want to do something. “You know, I vaguely remember waiting for you to come back for me, but that day obviously never came.” I say coldly, shaking my head when they both look at me. “I asked about the both of your once, and the only time I did ask, Mr. Choi, said,” I say glancing to him again getting a nod. “That you were told what happened. You didn’t need to look for me, didn’t need to even wait to be with me, you could have taken six year old me,” I say feeling my anger well back up in me. “But you told them I wasn’t your daughter. So tell me, why you didn’t want six year old me, but this me is good enough to want back in your lives?” I ask maliciously.

“We’ve changed, we’ve wanted our baby girl back, and we’ve been looking.” The woman says meekly. “Dayoungie—”

I cut her off. “Dayoung, you don’t get to call me that.” I tell her firmly. “I am Yong Dayoung,” I state clearly. “I’d been Dean Dayoung and now Yong Dayoung, please try to keep that in mind.” I say in a masked politeness. Junhyung’s hand tightens on me, and I calm down slightly.

“Dayoung,” She says this time though she seems slightly irritated now, “You’re our daughter, we couldn’t provide for you before.”

“And now my client, Dayoung-sshi,” Mr. Choi says leading on for her. “Can provide for you, is that what you’re thinking? I’ve had full access to your financials following this case. Mr. Lee,” Mr. Choi says addressing their lawyer. “Your clients are now doing fairly well for themselves, but it would be in their best interest not to pursue this. My client as seen has expressed no interest in reestablishing a relationship of any kind with Mr. and Mrs. Song.”

“We want our daughter,” Mrs. Song says again, quietly and even meeker than before.

 This time I let out a long sigh. “Please do not give me this crappy speech about wanting me back in your lives, do not pretend to suddenly care for me again. Stop spouting this bull about me being your daughter, about me being your child when you gave me up, when you passed on a second chance with me. I don’t want to hear it and I think you’re getting tired of trying to sell it.” I say in a calm voice. “The best thing you did for me was giving me up, letting someone else have the chance to love and care for me genuinely. Why don’t we keep it that way?” I say not giving them the choice.

Mr. Lee speaks this time. “My clients would like for you to look pass all that to give them a second chance.” He says seriously.

I look both of them in the eyes, settling for staring into Mr. Song’s when Mrs. Song looks away. “I can’t believe you’re the type of people to feed off me like this. If you wanted to reestablish a relationship with me you could have done so quietly. If you really cared about me you wouldn’t have talked to the reports and turn my life into this mess.”

“And your clients are out of options, this was an obligatory meeting between Dayoung-sshi and Mr. and Mrs. Song. All meetings or forms of contact after can and will be interpreted as harassment.” Mr. Choi says checking his watch. “I don’t believe I need to reiterate this, but your clients are not to speak to reporters about this meeting or the five minutes they were given alone with Dayoung-sshi, or we’ll peruse each and every way plausible to punish them by the full extent of the law.”

Mr. Lee nods his head, “We can’t do anything then?” Mrs. Song mutters in an angry tone. “Are we out of options?”

“I don’t recommend attempting anything,” Mr. Lee says in a calm voice as he packs up is own things.

“We’ll be leaving then,” Mr. Choi says standing. “I believe this was an eye-opening interaction and a more than sufficient amount of time to discuss any and all possibilities.”

Junhyung and I stand both leaving in front of Mr. Choi. “Thank you, I’m sorry if I made any mistakes in there.” I say bowing to the man who’d helped me, before and again now.

He smiles at me and then at Junhyung. “No, I think you made your point very clear and learned more than you needed to about Mr. and Mrs. Song.” He says pausing he holds his hand out to me. “I remember how scared and unsure you’d been as a little girl, now though you seem very sure of whom you are and who matters. I’m happy you’ve found all that you needed after the accident.” Mr. Choi says as I shake his hand. “Have a good day Dayoung-sshi.”

“You too,” I say smiling at him, the very kind man. I turn to Junhyung and nod for us to head away as the others come out of the room behind us. I lead Junhyung and me to the usual break room where everyone is seated.

“Hey everyone,” I say running over to Yoora’s open arms as soon as she sees me. “I love you all.” I say feeling a huge weight off my chest.


 

So I'm goign to be honest, I'm not a lawyer nor do I have plans of being one,
so this may seem weird? I guess.
But I hope you guys don't mind it too much. 
I'm thinking on last chapter after this now.
c:
Updating early because I only have one more chapter after this one!
<3