CH 4

A Promise to Love You

"Ah! It's so pretty!" Sungyeol exclaimed when they got out from the car. He immediately took pictures to show Soojin and his mom.

"Sungyeol-ah, let's go." Junsu called him. "We're going to start hiking."

Throughout the ride to the place, Sungyeol felt guilty of leaving Soojin and his mom. They didn't wan't him to leave, but he insisted. Seeing Soojin's face this morning only made him more guilty. Sungyeol closed his eyes and said to himself. "I'm gonna be alright." before catching up with his friends. 

"You alright?" Sungyeol asked his friend Seungjoon who was hiking behind him. Both of them are already left behind by their friends. Seungjoon nodded. Being a nice guy, Sungyeol told Seungjoon to go in front of him. 

"Gomawo Sungyeol-ah." Seungjoon said.

"It's alright." Sungyeol said and once again assured himself that he'll be fine. 

---

"This house seems so quiet without Sungyeol right?" His mom said as she wiped the flower vases. 

Soojin nodded slowly and continued focusing on wiping the plates. She keeps wondering about Sungyeol. Where he is now and what he is doing. Without her notice, suddenly, the plate that she wiped fell from her hand and crashed into the floor. 

Soojin immediately woke up from her thoughts and realized what she just did. "OMO! I'm so sorry eomma!" She exclaimed and bowed. "I'm gonna clean this up." She said and kneeled to get the broken glass pieces.

"It's okay Soojin-ah. Be careful not to hurt yourself." Sungyeol's mom told her. "Do you need any help?" 

"It's okay eomma. I'm fine. I'm so sorry." Soojin said and picked up the glass pieces. "Ouch!" Suddenly she winced. She realized that she just pricked herself with a sharp part of the glass. 

"Are you alright?" Sungyeol's mom stood up from her seat and walked towards Soojin. "You're bleeding!" She exclaimed as she saw Soojin's index finger.

"It's okay eomma. It's just a small cut. I'm fine." Soojin cleaned the rest of mess with the other hand and threw it away. 

"Soojin-ah, just go to your room and rest. Put a bandage on your cut okay." Sungyeol's mom told her. She knew that Soojin was thinking about Sungyeol.

"Ah..ne eomma. I'm going in okay." Soojin said and went into her room.

 

SOOJIN'S POV:

I'm so stupid. How could I not be careful. I was telling Sungyeol oppa to be careful, and yet I'm not careful. 

Suddenly, I remembered what usually happened in the movies. If someone bleed herself suddenly, then that means that something happened with the other person. 

Ani. Nothing happened to Sungyeol oppa. I'm just being careless. It's all my fault. It's nothing related to Sungyeol oppa. I tried to shook those thoughts off my head. 

But even though how much I tried to shook it off, it always came back. 

I accidentally looked at a picture of me and Sungyeol oppa which crushes my heart more and buried myself under the sheets, praying so that Sungyeol oppa will be fine wherever he is now. 

 

---

"OOW! SHOOT!" Lee Sungyeol exclaimed as he accidentally pricked himself with a thorn on a stem he accidentally holds.

"Sungyeol-ah, gwenchana?" Seungjoon turned his head and looked at him. 

"I'm alright. Just continue your hike." Sungyeol told him. He tried to stop the blood, but it keeps flowing. 

And worst of all, the thunder suddenly rolls, and the rain starts falling. Dongmin has predicted the weather wrongly. And on top of that, both of them are already separated from their friends. 

"Seungjoon-ah, we need to get to the peak fast so that we can rest. I'm sure the others are waiting for us there too." Sungyeol told Seungjoon. 

"Ah..okay. But are you really alright?" Seungjoon asked him.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Be careful since it's slippery." 

As the two of them hiked, Seungjoon slips on the wet soil and almost fell over.

"Seungjoon-ah! Be careful! Just grab anything that you can grab if you feel like falling!" They were now in the cliff of the mountain with deep forests surrounding them if ever they fall. 

"Sungyeol-ah, I'm so tired! I can't take it anymore! Just leave me behind!" Seungjoon exclaimed.

"Are you crazy?! Won't you go to college?! How can I leave you behind?!" Sungyeol scolded him.

"It's okay! I don't have money to pay for college anyway. I can't find a job and my parents keep telling me that I'm useless. Maybe it's better for me to die." Suddenly that thought crossed on Seungjoon's mind.

"Seungjoon-ah are you crazy?! Don't think of thoughts like that!" Sungyeol shouted to him. The blood keeps flowing and the rain keeps falling harder and harder. 

"Anio. Sungyeol-ah. I'm really gonna do it. I can't take it anymore!" Seungjoon exclaimed as he crawled, heading to the edge of the cliff. 

"SEUNGJOON-AH DON'T DO CRAZY THINGS!" Sungyeol shouted to him. He knew that both of them are in danger. Since his hand was in pain, he cannot move quickly but he successfully grabbed Seungjoon's leg as he was about to get closer to the edge. 

Both of them are struck as they realized how deep the forest are below the cliff. Someone will immediately die if they fell off from the cliff. 

"Seungjoon-ah....please..." Sungyeol muttered between his breaths. "Please..I...beg..you...don't do this.." 

The rain keeps falling harder and harder. 

"I don't know what is happening to me Sungyeol-ah.." Seungjoon muttered. "I'm sorry. I just lost my thoughts." As he prepared to stand up from his positon, accidentally loses his balance and almost fell from the cliff. 

Luckily, Sungyeol's hand was fast enough to grab Seungjoon's hand. 

"Sungyeol-ah! Please save me!" Seungjoon cried. 

Sungyeol winced in pain as he realized that the hand that he gave Seungjon was the bleeding hand. "Seungjoon..ah..please hold on.." 

Sungyeol tried his best to hold Sungyeol's hand. He was surprised to see how much blood are there on Sungyeol's hand. He doesn't want to cause more trouble as she sees Sungyeol was wincing in pain. 

"Sungyeol-ah! Just let me go!" Seungjoon shouted. 

"NO! ARE YOU CRAZY! JUST SHUT UP AND PULL YOURSELF UP!" Sungyeol shouted. He was trying his best to pull Seungjoon, but he has no more energy. They've been hiking all day and his hand is bleeding. 

"SUNGYEOL-AH I REALLY CAN'T DO IT! JUST LET ME GO!" Seungjoon shouted again. 

"NO!" Sungyeol was trying his best to pull Seungjoon. He decided to do it that moment. Ignore all his pain and pull Seungjoon up.  "1...2...3.." He counted slowly, and at the count of three, he used up all his energy to pull up Seungjoon. 

Seungjoon was able to be pulled up, and when he found the edge of the cliff, he use it as a weight to pull himself up to the surface of the cliff.

The two boys layed on the wet ground and almost didn't believe what they just did.

"Sungyeol-ah..I'm sorry, I don't know what's on my mind.." Seungjoon said slowly and cried. 

"It's okay Seungjoon-ah, let's go." Sungyeol said as he began to stand up. 

"SUNGYEOL-AH BE CAREFUL!" Seungjoon shouted. The soil that Sungyeol was standing on began to crack, causing Sungyeol to fall from the cliff, luckily, he managed to grab the edge of the cliff. 

Seungjoon hurriedly grabbed Sungyeol's other hand and tried to pull him up, but the ground keeps cracking. 

"Seungjoon-ah! You can die! Just go!" Sungyeol shouted. He can't keep holding on the edge either because it's getting slippery.

"No! You saved me! How can I leave you!" Seungjoon shouted. Tears were streaming down on his face. "Let's try this one more time. One..two..crack!" Seungjoon was stunned. He heard the ground that he was kneeling on began to crack. If that ground cracks, he and Sungyeol will fall. 

Seungjoon began to think hardly. He just realized that he doesn't want to die. But he can't let Sungyeol die either. "I'll pull you up." Seungjoon said. "One..two..three!" But no matter how hard he pulls, Sungyeol can't be pulled up and the ground keeps cracking. 

"Seungjoon-ah, it's alright. If you are here, you'll die too." Sungyeol told him. Tears were on his eyes. Suddenly, he regretted everything. He regretted on why he didn't listen to his mom and Soojin. He regretted why he has to go hiking. He knew that he will die. He just want to see Soojin's and his mom's face one more time.

Suddenly, the ground splits. Seungjoon unintentionally lets go of Sungyeol's hand because he was surprised, causing Sungyeol to fall from the cliff. 

Seungjoon realized what he just did. He tried to grab Sungyeol's hand back, but it was too late. Sungyeol has fell. 

"SUNGYEOL-AH!" He shouted. "SUNGYEOL-AH!"

There was no answer. Seungjoon throws himself on the ground and cried really hard.

The rain poured harder and harder, covering his crying sound. 

---

"Eomma, what do you think Sungyeol oppa is doing now?" Soojin asked Sungyeol's mom.

"Maybe he is in the resting lodge, playing with his friends or telling memories." Sungyeol's mom answered. "Did your finger get better?"

"Ah..ne.." Soojin answered slowly. She kept her gaze at the window. It's raining really hard outside.

"Don't worry too much about him Soojin." Sungyeol's mom smiled and patted Soojin's back. 

"Ne eomma." Soojin answered. "But why aren't we getting any calls from him?" 

"You know boys. They must be busy now. Don't worry, he'll be here tomorrow." Sungyeol's mom assured her. 

Soojin just nodded quietly.

"I hope you're really fine."

---

"Guys!" A faint sound was heard as the boys tried to warm themselves up in the cave together. They've been waiting for Sungyeol and Seungjoon so that they can go to the resting lodge together. 

"Seungjoon? Thank God you are here." Junsu noticed him. "Where is Sungyeol? And why you looked like that?"

 Seungjoon cannot answer. His whole body was shaking and he keeps crying.

"Seungjoon-ah, did something happen to Sungyeol?" 

"S-sungyeol...he...he.....h..he..f-fell..down..f-from..t-the..c-c-cliff.."

---

All of the boys quickly went to the place where Sungyeol fell. They asked Seungjoon what happened and he told him everything.

"It's my fault! I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry! He saved me and I cannot even save him." Seungjoon said and keeps crying. His whole body was numb and he cannot even stand up. 

"It's okay Seungjoon. It's not your fault." Junsu tried to comfort him. "It's our fault too for leaving you both. We are really sorry." And all of them starts crying. 

"SUNGYEOL-AH! LEE SUNGYEOL!" They shouted. But there was no answer. 

Lee Sungyeol was gone. 

"I'll call 911." Junsu spoke up. Calling 911 is the only thing to do. Maybe with their helicopters, they could find Sungyeol's body. Maybe. 

"The police will be here soon." Junsu informed them after calling the 911. All of them are now are drenched in rainwater and crying really hard. 

Soon, the police arrived with their helicopters and their team. They searched everywhere for Sungyeol's body, but it can't be found. 

"We're sorry to informed you that we are unable to find Lee Sungyeol's body. It is possible that an animal might have eaten him." One of the police officer said. "Have you informed his parents or relatives?" 

"No.."Junsu shook his head slowly. "Can't you try one more time?" 

"We're sorry. We tried our best. Lee Sungyeol is now proclaimed dead."

---

"KRRING!" The telephone rang and broke the silence of the night. Soojin woke up from her bed and was about to walked to the telephone, but Sungyeol's mom already grabbed the telephone. 

"Hello?" Sungyeol's mom asked.

"Good evening. Is this the residence of Lee Sungyeol?" The police officer asked. 

"Yes. What is the matter?" Sungyeol's mom answered calmly.

"We're from the police station. We are sorry to inform you that Lee Sungyeol has fallen from a cliff, and he is proclaimed dead."

"What?..my son is.." Sungyeol's mom cannot believe what she just heard and collapsed. Luckily, Soojin was fast enough to catch her. "Eomma! What happened?" Soojin shouted. 

"Hello?" The police officer was still talking through the handset. Soojin immediately picked up the handset and talked.

"Hello? May I know what's the matter?" She asked quickly.

 "We are sorry to inform you that Lee Sungyeol has fallen from a cliff, and he is proclaimed dead."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 4

Thank you for all the support! 

Please keep supporting this story! ^0^