Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night - Chapter 8

Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night

Dragged down with Yesung as he collapsed, Kyuhyun gave a gasp of pain. "I'll be ok, Yesung. Don't worry about me..." Kyuhyun was cut off again by Yesung's admission that he felt he was responsible for the accident.

"How do you know it was anything to do with you?" he asked quietly, patiently pulling Yesung up again and half-carrying him down the road to his home. Fortunately for them they hadn't gone far, but it was far enough to make Kyuhyun feel almost ill himself by the time they reached his house.

During that time, he'd evaluated Yesung's actions since they'd left and realised that he'd been acting oddly just prior to the accident. Was this what he'd meant by bad luck following him? It was worrying Kyuhyun, but only because it was affecting Yesung so badly.

Barely remembering to breathe, Yesung let Kyuhyun pull him back to his feet, unable to focus on what was going on around him. The crash of the truck colliding with the building was still ringing in his ears and the alarmed shouts of those around them. He could hardly hear Kyuhyun through all the noise in his head.

Only when they turned off the street and past the gate outside Kyuhyun's house did Yesung finally reply. "I felt it, right before the truck..." Swallowing, he shut his eyes tightly. "It just felt... wrong. If you hadn't..." It was frightening to think about what could have happened if Kyuhyun hadn't reacted so fast.

"A-and you're hurt again now..." He forced watery eyes open to see the red staining Kyuhyun's shirt. "I keep on hurting you."

Saving his reply for when they got back into the house, kicking off his shoes and helping Yesung to the sofa he'd only left not even an hour before, Kyuhyun knelt down and smoothed the hair back from Yesung's face gently.

"Other people keep hurting me," he replied softly, his voice showing a calmness he didn't feel. "I think it's important that you remember that you felt something beforehand, this time... so you can hopefully avoid situations in the future now that you know this. It's helpful to me too - then I know what's actually wrong, rather than something that can be helped with a little care and attention."

Kyuhyun tried to keep the pain from his face, knowing it was hurting Yesung just to look at the blood-soaked sleeve. He'd go up and change and deal with his wound as best he could (and hope it wasn't anything major that required hospital treatment), then come back and see if Yesung needed more help, but for now, he was concentrating on Yesung.

"I still don't blame you and would never blame you, Yesung," he added, hoping his words had some sort of positive impact on the nearly hysterical singer. "I can see why you blame yourself but I don't.... so please... it'll be ok. It really will... I'm not going to die again..."

Not quite knowing what else to do, Kyuhyun began to sing a lullaby he remembered his mother singing to him as a baby so long ago that he wasn't sure how he even remembered it, but if it helped calm Yesung, he'd endure the pain the memories brought him. When that finished, he sang another one, and still another, brushing away the hair that fell over Yesung's eyes and tears from his face.

Shivering, Yesung tried to meet Kyuhyun's eyes as the vampire brushed his hair out of his face, but his gaze was too clouded by tears to focus. He could only shake his head as Kyuhyun said other people hurt him, because none of this would have happened if Yesung hadn't been around him.

"Feeling it doesn't make the bad luck easier to stop," he whispered, his small hands still gripping Kyuhyun's shirt away from his injuries tightly. "This is why I didn't come see you in the hospital... I wanted to, but... can you imagine all the things that could go wrong in a hospital?" He didn't want to know of all the different ways he could cause someone to die.

Kyuhyun's quiet words helped him to breathe easier as he tried to stop hyperventilating before he passed out. He thought he would be okay, but then Kyuhyun said he wouldn't die again and the tears he'd barely been holding back flowed freely.

Shutting his eyes, Yesung let the other man's voice wash over him, drawing in a shuddering breath and letting it go. Though he didn't recognize the words, he could feel the gentle tunes comforting him, as well as the cool hands brushing against his face and hair.

Yesung slowly opened his eyes again some time later, the skin surrounding his eyes slightly red and puffy from the tears. He finally had some control over himself again. Looking at Kyuhyun in front of him, his eyes traced over the features of the vampire's face, the carefully concealed pain, the worry. Worry for him?

Hesitating, he leaned forward and brushed his lips lightly against Kyuhyun's, unsure. "Thank you," he whispered against the vampire's mouth, his voice slightly choked.

Finally understanding why Yesung hadn't come to see him, any residual anger and hurt Kyuhyun felt washed away and heartbreak took its place. How hard it must have been for Yesung, to want to see him but not daring to for fear of killing him or someone else without even meaning to. The enormity of the situation hit him finally and he realised just how big of a deal this really was and he felt bad for laughing at him.

All Kyuhyun could do was to try and comfort Yesung as best he could and reassure him that they would both be ok and there hadn't been any lasting damage done to his arm. Whether that was true or not, Kyuhyun would see when he was able to look at it properly, but he was still able to use it, so that was something. When it seemed Yesung had calmed down, Kyuhyun was just about to tell him he was going to go change when Yesung kissed him hesitantly, the vampire not hesitant at all but returning the kiss gently to avoid upsetting Yesung again.

"You're welcome," Kyuhyun whispered back, barely able to hold himself back from kissing Yesung passionately to show his feelings. He'd have to let words do it for him... for now. "But I meant what I said, Yesung. My feelings haven't changed at all. I care about you so much I am willing to go through whatever I have to, just to be with you."

Kyuhyun pulled back slightly, putting a smile on his face, even if it was a bit strained. "Will you be ok here while I go and change and see to my arm?" he asked, worry showing through his expression. "I won't leave if you don't feel you can handle it..." He tried to keep things light. "And this was my best shirt too," he joked feebly.

Being so close to the vampire was almost... comforting, in a way. Yesung liked the comforting aura he could feel coming from the other man, calming down gradually though a few tears continued to slip down his cheeks every now and then. After a moment, he realized what it was. Kyuhyun wasn't... worried about being around him, made uneasy by the miniature disasters Yesung caused. Everyone who knew about his curse, and even those who didn't know, stayed away for fear of meeting an early death. But Kyuhyun... wasn't?

When the kiss was broken, he bit his lower lip slightly, reflecting on the vampire's words. "You shouldn't have to go through anything at all," he muttered. "But thank you..." He wondered if Kyuhyun wished he could have fallen for someone else, another vampire maybe, or at least someone who wasn't a bad luck magnet.

Yesung nodded slightly as Kyuhyun pulled back, restraining from attaching himself to the vampire again. "I'll be alright," he said quietly, the worry he saw in Kyuhyun's eyes doing funny things to his breathing. "Do you need help...?" He looked at the other man's arm again, unnerved by all the red.

He couldn't hold back a smile at Kyuhyun's joke, though... small, with trembling lips, but still a smile.

Smiling faintly, Kyuhyun shook his head. "I shouldn't, but I'll let you know if I do," he replied, trying not to show how uncertain he was; there was so much blood that he was afraid he'd have to go to the hospital to get it sorted, but how would Yesung deal with that? Or would he?

Standing up, Kyuhyun glanced at Yesung again, ruffling his hair fondly. "Don't go away. I'll be back as soon as I can," he said, then walked slowly to the door that led up to his rooms on the next floor and headed for the bathroom to deal with his arm. The pain was starting to get to him as well and he didn't like it.

Kyuhyun winced as he began to peel the bloody shirt from his arm, a little nervous by the fact that after all this time, the blood hadn't dried, which meant it was still bleeding, not a good sign at all. It was a bit of a shame he couldn't feed from himself, given the amount of blood he was losing, he thought wryly, sitting down on the edge of the bath as he got a better look at his wound. He definitely had to go to the hospital for this - the gash had cut nearly to the bone and while it was knitting together (very very slowly), it was incredibly painful and at the best, needed stitches.

Going to his medicine cupboard, Kyuhyun pulled out a packet of gauze and wrapped it around his arm, then opened the door to the bathroom and called down, hoping Yesung would be able to hear him. There was nothing he could do; he would have to allow Yesung up to his private rooms.

"Yesung? I... can you come up, please?" he called, glad his voice didn't waver. He didn't need to scare Yesung any more than he already was, and Kyuhyun had a feeling Yesung wouldn't be willing to come to the hospital with him, not that he could blame him now that he understood why.

Yesung closed his eyes as his hair was messed up, reopening them slowly and looking up at Kyuhyun through his bangs as the vampire left. Immediately he felt the comforting aura coming from Kyuhyun leave as well, but he stopped himself from breaking down again, drawing in a shaky breath and curling up on the couch. His nerves were shot, the back of his eyes burned, and really, all he wanted to do right now was bury himself in his bed at the dorms and hide from the entire world, but he would deal for now.

Snapping out of his thoughts at Kyuhyun's call, the student stood shakily, his heart in his throat. Was the injury really bad? "Coming," he replied loudly, his voice nowhere as steady as the vampire's.

Padding over to the stairs, Yesung made his way up and looked around the landing for Kyuhyun. He would normally have been curious about this part of the house, the part he hadn't explored before, but his worry for Kyuhyun completely won out over any curiosity. Seeing the vampire standing in the doorway to the bathroom, he started over, then stopped when he saw the other man's arm.

"I-it's... really bad, isn't it?" he whispered, seeing the red staining the gauze and slowly spreading. Yesung took another small step forward, wanting to help, to do something, but the fear of what could happen if he got too close had returned.

Sympathetic, Kyuhyun sighed and nodded. "I'm sorry," he whispered, not trusting his voice if he spoke any louder than that.

"I have to go... to the hospital. They'll be able to deal with it, but..." He sighed, letting the worry show through. "They don't know what I am, and I'm afraid if they try to keep me longer than I can handle, I will die on them and they'll freak..." he added, not quite knowing what to do. "My producer, Kim Seunghyun, dealt with them last time, but I can't be sure what he'll have told them, so if..."

Kyuhyun bit his lip. "I know I can't ask you to come with me, but I need Seunghyun to come, if nothing else, so he can deal with them if I have to stay," he finished, looking down at the floor to avoid the look on Yesung's face.

"I... haven't fed yet, either... and I don't know what to do. I won't feed from you..." Kyuhyun looked up at Yesung finally, sensing the fear. "I can't. I don't know what's happened but somehow I can't feed from you, so you have nothing to fear from me any longer..."

Feeling a bit wavery, Kyuhyun grabbed at the door frame with his good hand, his knuckles turning white with the effort of holding himself up after the blood loss. Quite what he was going to tell Seunghyun and the hospital about his injuries, he didn't know; Kyuhyun was vaguely aware that they probably should have stayed at the scene of the accident so the police could talk to them, but he couldn't have taken that chance, not with Yesung reacting how he'd done. To him, everything else could and did take a back-seat to Yesung's welfare. Even his own.

The hospital. Why did he always end up sending people to the hospital? Especially in Kyuhyun's case... listening to the vampire and hearing the worry in his tone, Yesung could understand why hospitals would be a bad idea for him. If he 'died' at dawn, it definitely wouldn't go over well with the hospital staff... as would Kyuhyun dying for real if they opened the curtains during the day.

It made him wonder how Kyuhyun had managed to last in the hospital so long before, but questions like that were definitely not his highest priority right now. Seeing Kyuhyun sway a little, worry won out over fear and Yesung stepped forward, carefully detaching Kyuhyun from the doorway so he could sling the vampire's good arm over his shoulder and support him.

"Should I call 119? It'll get you there faster," he said, looking up at the vampire with distressed eyes. "I... can't go into the hospital, but I can go as far as I can... won't they give you blood since you've lost so much?"

Yesung started towards the stairs, trying to help Kyuhyun get down to the main floor where it would be easier to get him out. He wondered if Kyuhyun's producer knew he was a vampire and if that was what made it possible to avoid the hospital finding out last time. There was so much he didn't know about all this, but now wasn't the time to ask. Kyuhyun needed to get to the hospital.

He was so worried about the vampire. This was already bad enough and it had the potential to get so much worse...

Walking with Yesung's help, Kyuhyun considered the question, then sighed.

"They would ask too many questions we can't answer," he replied eventually when they were halfway down the stairs to the ground floor. "Other than you, the only person who knows what I am is Seunghyun, which is why he needs to be there to tell them... whatever it is he told them last time."

Stumbling a little as the blood loss made him feel faint, Kyuhyun concentrated his energy on getting downstairs without falling and taking Yesung with him.

"I can call him when we're in the living room..." he added softly, resigned to the fact that his producer would worry about him and lecture him even more on the accidents that had befallen him, as well as the fact that he was 'too alone' and didn't trust many people to help him. What Seunghyun would make of Yesung, Kyuhyun didn't know.

Somehow they managed to get to the living room without any mishaps and Kyuhyun sat down on the sofa, cradling his injured arm protectively against his chest despite the fact that he didn't have a shirt on. He'd need something easy to get on and off to take to the hospital but unfortunately didn't have anything like that that he could think of. Pulling out his phone, he looked at Yesung.

"Will you be ok with this? Did you want to stay here or will you be ok to go home after I'm at the hospital?" he asked, trying to get in as many questions as he could. Then he thought of something else. "Do you drive?"

Well, that answered one of Yesung's questions. If the producer knew, it would be much easier to keep Kyuhyun's secret safe. The student considered this for a moment before shoving it to the back of his mind, concentrating on getting the vampire downstairs.

When Kyuhyun was finally able to sit down, Yesung did the same, pale as he watched the other man cradle his arm. He reached up and brushed locks of Kyuhyun's hair out of his face without really thinking, worrying at his lower lip.

"I'll be fine," he replied quietly, focusing on Kyuhyun rather than the frantic thoughts that continued to plague him. "I should... go home. I just want to make sure you get to the hospital safely..." At the last question, he looked confused. "I do... why?"

He had a license, though his parents were obviously very apprehensive about putting him out on the road. Then again, public transport had the same risks as driving himself, so might as well show him how to drive properly in case something did happen.

Smiling faintly when Yesung brushed his hair from his face, Kyuhyun tried to think. Normally he wasn't this slow at reacting to things, but given everything that had happened to him in the last few months, and the fact that he was still healing from the previous injuries, let alone this new one, Kyuhyun felt stupid and slow. Definitely a bad sign and he cursed the one who'd cursed him with this weakness for what wouldn't be the first time.

"I need you to drive me to the hospital... to meet Seunghyun there," he said finally, looking at Yesung and then pressing the speed dial on his phone. "I'll call him now - he'll be at the studio so he'll take at least the same amount of time it takes us to get there..."

When his producer answered the phone, Kyuhyun told him what had happened, as well as the injury and what he needed, and the producer sighed.

"Why are you such a handful, Kyuhyun?" Seunghyun asked rhetorically, then gestured at the engineer that Kyuhyun wouldn't be in that night. "I'll meet you there, then. Try to stay out of trouble this time, ok?" At Kyuhyun's affirmative, they both hung up, Kyuhyun giving a wry smile.

"He's not thrilled with me, but he'll meet us there," he relayed to Yesung, feeling a little more relieved now that his producer was going to handle things for him. "I need a zippered hoodie... I think there's one by the door?" There was just no way Kyuhyun could get a proper shirt on right now, let alone after the hospital did whatever they were going to. "Could you get it for me, please?"

Drive to the hospital? Yesung nodded, swallowing. "I can do that..."

He wasn't shaking as much as he was before, and so as long as nothing happened while they were driving, he would be okay to get Kyuhyun there. Though he would have to check his speed, worried about the vampire as he was.

Yesung watched as Kyuhyun talked on the phone, fidgeting slightly. Everything would go alright, he hoped. The hospital doctors would be able to take care of Kyuhyun's arm and everything would get back to normal... well, as normal as things could be for them.

When Kyuhyun hung up, Yesung nodded and stood to get the hoodie. Finding it where Kyuhyun had said it would be, he brought it back over, realizing for the first time (he'd been too panicked before to notice) Kyuhyun was shirtless.

Swallowing thickly, he averted his eyes and ped the hoodie, moving to help Kyuhyun put it on. "I don't have a car though..."

"You can borrow mine," Kyuhyun replied wryly, gesturing for Yesung to wrap the other arm of the hoodie around his shoulders and leave it there; there was no way he could get his arm through the sleeve with it wrapped like it was. "I'm sure it'll be just fine."

Yesung's reaction to him being shirtless amused Kyuhyun. It wasn't like he didn't have the same requisite body parts as any other male, but Yesung's reaction was cute and it was obvious he was attracted from the way he was acting. Granted, he had kissed Kyuhyun, and without being asked, so that was something else that showed Kyuhyun that perhaps Yesung's feelings weren't as hidden as he had been trying to make Kyuhyun believe.

"I don't have anything you don't have," he added wryly, just to tease Yesung when the man's shyness didn't go away with him getting a little more... dressed than he'd been previously. "Well, apart from the fangs, but... you know, they kind of go with the territory..."

"Please don't jinx me, I don't need any help with that," Yesung protested, doing as Kyuhyun wanted and securing the loose arm of the hoodie. Straightening, he considered for a moment, thinking. "I guess I can do that. Where are the keys?"

To his horror, the student felt his cheeks burn at the teasing. "Yah, just because you're injured and probably bleeding all over the inside of that hoodie doesn't mean you can be so snarky! I at least look older than you. Some respect would be nice..." Though fuming slightly and pouting, he couldn't get mad at Kyuhyun. Especially not right now.

"Lets go, before you lose more blood." Even when he was pretending to be angry, the worry quickly returned. Moving to one side, he started to help Kyuhyun back to his feet and support him from his good side.

Chuckling, Kyuhyun stood up slowly and reached into his pocket with his good arm. "I'm always snarky," he informed Yesung with a smirk. "You just haven't stuck around long enough to know this yet... Oh, and here's the keys."

Dropping them into Yesung's palm, he winced as a stab of pain shot through him from his arm. His normal vampire healing ability was just as painful as human treatments were, and even more so since it was ridiculously slow.

"We really should get going soon and please lock the door after we leave. I don't want anyone in here who shouldn't be..." Which pretty much meant everyone but him. Kyuhyun guarded his privacy jealously and it upset him that he'd needed even the little bit of help Yesung was giving him.

"My car is out front... and you remember which hospital it was, right?" He couldn't help himself. "Being 'older' and all that, your memory might be going..." Kyuhyun's tone was light and teasing to keep his mind off what was going on.

"Great, a snarky vampire," Yesung sighed dramatically. He could see he was going to have trouble winning any discussions in the future.

Looking down at the keys in his hand, he didn't miss the wince, returning his gaze to Kyuhyun with a frown. He really needed to get to the hospital; thinking about it gave him shivers, but there was nothing else that could be done. The more they delayed, the worse the other man's arm would get, and the closer to dawn they came.

"I will," he assured, helping Kyuhyun to the door, one hand lightly against the small of the vampire's back in case Kyuhyun fell. The student nearly stopped to stare at Kyuhyun after that. "My memory is just fine!" he huffed, continuing to walk. "It's you I'm worried about - you must be old enough to be my grandpa."

He got them both outside, locking the door behind them as Kyuhyun wanted, then the gate. Walking to Kyuhyun's car, Yesung made sure the vampire was inside before heading to the driver's side, sitting down. It had been a while since he'd driven anywhere, but at least the car was an automatic, rather than the manual he usually drove. Turning on the engine, he was momentarily confused by the lack of clutch pedal before he got the car out of the driveway and down the road towards the main streets.

"Try great-great-great-grandfather and you might be getting there," Kyuhyun whispered faintly, leaning back in the passenger seat and closing his eyes. He hadn't felt this weak since he'd been changed and cursed, and he felt ill on top of that, though it was probably just shock setting in, yet another complication they had to worry about.

Luck seemed to be with them (for once) since they managed to make it to the hospital barely on time, Kyuhyun's producer waiting for them as they pulled up and opening the passenger door carefully just in case Kyuhyun fell. Looking at Yesung, he sighed.

"I'm sorry he's giving you trouble," he said tiredly, taking off Kyuhyun's seatbelt and taking the young vampire into his arms. "He's never been this accident prone for a while... but I hope you're ok? You're not injured too?"

Seunghyun peered at Yesung. "I'll take care of him from here, if you can leave his car in the parking lot over there?" He pointed off to the side where the patient's parking lot was sign-posted. "Drop the ticket off at the front reception in Kyuhyun's name and I'll pick it up later..." he added as he began to carry the now unconscious Kyuhyun into the hospital.

Stopping momentarily just outside the revolving door, he turned to look at Yesung. "Will you be ok to get home?"

Yesung refrained from teasing Kyuhyun about his age, seeing the vampire's condition was worsening. Instead he focused on the road and getting them there in one piece. Worry made his heart jump whenever someone on the road behaved even the slightest out of the norm, but thankfully, they were able to arrive at the hospital intact.

Pulling up beside the emergency entrance, Yesung started to get out to help the producer take Kyuhyun when he saw the older man had it under control. Swallowing as he saw just how bad Kyuhyun was now, he watched the other human pick up the vampire carefully.

"No trouble," he replied quietly, fidgeting guiltily as the producer mentioned how Kyuhyun wasn't usually this accident-prone. He knew exactly why that had suddenly changed.

"I'm fine," Yesung added, managing a small smile. He wasn't hurt at all, though he was sure he'd break down again later in the security of his own dorm bed with the lights off and his room-mate fast asleep. He nodded as well to the parking instructions as well as the question. "Please take care of him," he pleaded, worry shining through in his eyes again.

After the man left to bring Kyuhyun inside, Yesung parked the car as he was told and took a ticket, walking inside the hospital with a shiver. He hated this place so much. He left the ticket and car keys with the secretary and left in a hurry, unwilling to stay in that building of death for longer than he had to.

Aching and wishing he could be there with Kyuhyun, Yesung sighed and headed for the nearest bus stop, stuffing earbuds in his ears to drown out his thoughts.