Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night - Chapter 12

Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night

Expecting it this time, Yesung bit down on the inside of his cheek to keep from screaming, tasting copper.  Much more was being taken this time and coupled with being bitten twice already, Yesung whimpered as darkness started to close in on him.  He was scared, yes... terrified out of his wits.

But as long as Kyuhyun was alright, that was all that mattered right now.

Suddenly he was let go, the human going limp against the chains and causing them to loosen even more.  He could barely see, dizziness and the sudden lack of response from his limbs making it hard to move.  Lifting his head wearily, Yesung's eyes widened when he saw Kyuhyun had interfered.  He wanted to shout at Kyuhyun to not be an idiot and leave but he couldn't find the strength.

It was then that the chains finally gave, Yesung toppling to the ground with an 'oof', coughing against the dust and too dizzy to move.

Terrified when Yesung fell and didn't move again, Kyuhyun fought Daejung even more, hoping that it just meant Yesung was knocked out (at worst) or waiting for a chance to move or escape (at best). Whichever it was, Kyuhyun hoped desperately it didn't mean Daejung had killed him, though if he had done, Kyuhyun was going to kill him... and then himself. He couldn't stand the thought of being alone without Yesung any more.

"I'm not letting you have him," he growled in determination, reaching for Daejung's neck so he could bite down and feed from him, drain him enough that he'd cease to be a threat. Then Kyuhyun would have time to leave him outside for the sunlight to take care of him, or so he hoped. "You had your chance but you had to take first Heeyoung and then Yesung from me. I'm not going to let you take anyone else..."

Panting, Yesung got his hands underneath his body and pushed up, his body shaking with the effort.  Seeing that the two vampires were distracted, the human got to his hands and knees and looked around for something, anything he could use.  His head spun and he could barely function properly after losing so much blood but he was still conscious... for now.

Crawling to the boxes stacked not far away, Yesung wondered if he could push them over on top of Daejung somehow, and if that would help in the least.  Searching through him and ignoring the scrape of the rough wood against his hands, he paused when he spotted something in between the boxes.  Reaching over, he felt around blindly, trying to grab it.

His fingers closed around wood and he pulled out a damaged 2 by 4, one end jagged and pointed.

Finally close enough, though Kyuhyun wondered how that was even possible, he bit down at Daejung's neck with vicious satisfaction, feeding from the other vampire until he retched and pulled away, noting with narrowed eyes that the other vampire seemed dazed, dropping to the floor as soon as Kyuhyun let him go.

"You just couldn't leave it, could you?" Kyuhyun knelt beside the other vampire, a sad look in his eyes. "It didn't have to happen like this. I never saw her again after she left me for you... so why you thought..." He sighed and looked for Yesung, panicking slightly when he couldn't see the human.

"Yesung?" he called out, fear in his voice. Had Daejung had others lying in wait just in case?

"Here," Yesung managed to call, holding on to the wood tightly as he dragged himself away from the boxes.  Blinking and squinting through the darkness that was both real and inside his head, the dazed human finally located the vampires.  He was surprised to see Daejung on the floor, a sense of grim satisfaction running through him.  Now was his chance.

Crawling over, Yesung pushed himself into a sitting position, his skin pale and arms shaking.  "He won't get to try this again," the human panted, his hair falling in front of his face as he gripped the wood with both hands, his knuckles turning white.  

Bringing the stake up, he brought it down with a cry, slamming the pointed end through Daejung's chest and heart.  Yesung promptly fell on top of the vampire at the force as blood spilled out of the wound, covering the human's hands and shirt.

Gasping with a combination of pain, shock, and relief, Kyuhyun leaned forward and pulled Yesung away from Daejung's body and into his arms, cradling and rocking him and hoping he wasn't going to lose him now that he knew that Yesung loved him back.

"Please stay with me, Yesung..." he pleaded through his tears, brushing Yesung's dark hair away from his face as he kissed him gently. "Please don't leave me alone again...."

"If you die..." Kyuhyun left that thought unfinished, knowing he'd follow if the worst happened.

Groaning as he was pulled off the vampire's body, Yesung let Kyuhyun hold him, too dizzy at first to do more than just lie there and feel the damp blood soaking through his shirt, sticky on his hands and arms.  He knew he'd be traumatized shortly but now he was just too tired to care. After a long moment, he lifted his arms and wrapped them around Kyuhyun's waist.  The gentle kisses revived him somewhat, his eyes opening for a moment before closing again.

"Hurts too much to be dead," he mumbled into Kyuhyun's shirt before opening his eyes and peering up at Kyuhyun tiredly.  "You are lousy at following instructions, Kyu."

Laughing somewhat hysterically in relief as Yesung began to speak and opened his eyes, Kyuhyun kissed him desperately, then hugged him tightly.

"You're forgetting just who is the older of us," he teased through his tears, kissing Yesung yet again. "Unfortunately we can't really stop to talk much longer - dawn is coming..." What was worse was that Kyuhyun wasn't even sure he'd be able to get home in time. "I'm sorry...."

"I don't think we have time to make it... before..."

Maybe it was just his dumb luck after all that he'd find love just before he died, though it did make him glad in way too. At least he'd die happy. Burying his face in Yesung's hair, Kyuhyun tried to be strong but it didn't seem to work, his tears overcoming him.

Dawn...

Yesung forced his eyes to stay open, his grip on Kyuhyun's shirt tightening slightly.  No, it couldn't be that time already?  The warehouse had windows, windows that would let in the sun and Kyuhyun...

Tears fell onto his cheeks but they weren't his own, they were the vampire's.  "Don't," Yesung pleaded, lifting his hand and trying to wipe away Kyuhyun's tears.  "It isn't... over yet.  We still have time to do something."

He couldn't let Kyuhyun die, not after all this.

"You aren't allowed to die, you hear me?"  Yesung pushed himself up off the other man, his arms shaking and threatening to give any moment.  He didn't even try to stand; at this rate he would just faceplant onto the ground again.  Looking around the warehouse for something, anything, his gaze landed on the stacked boxes in the far corner of the warehouse where there were no windows.

"Over there," he said, pointing.  "We can hide there... stop the sun from getting to you."  Looking back at Kyuhyun and fighting the sudden wave of dizziness, his eyes went to the other man's limp arm, the one Daejung had stepped on.  "Your arm..."

"It's broken," Kyuhyun whispered softly, his eyes sad and resigned. He wasn't sure how a few boxes would stop the sun from reaching him, but if Yesung was sure, he'd try anything.

Kyuhyun didn't want to die any more than Yesung wanted him to - especially not now that he knew Yesung loved him. A nearly hysterical laugh overtook him as shock began to set in. What a way to find out, he thought as the hysteria rose, nearly cutting off what little remained of his sanity for the moment. "How are we going to get to the boxes? Will they be enough?"

The laughter was just as tiring as the tears and the fighting had been and stopped not long after it began, Kyuhyun's body becoming drained. He wasn't even sure he could make it to the boxes in time.

"I love you, Yesung," he whispered, his eyes bright. "Don't ever forget that. I love you... more than life itself."

Slowly he began to move, trying to help Yesung drag himself towards the boxes but ran out of energy about halfway there, collapsing on the floor and panting. "I'm sorry, I can't make it..." Kyuhyun looked over at Yesung, too drained to even cry. "I'm sorry... I love you." His voice was a mere thread of a whisper as his eyes closed.

Yesung just stared as Kyuhyun started laughing hysterically.  Was there something in Daejung's blood that makes vampires go insane?

"I have no idea," he murmured, shaking his head slowly. "But it's the best bet we have."  Kyuhyun couldn't just... die.  There had to be something they could do.  It wasn't dawn yet.

"I love you too, you jerk, now stop talking like you're on your death bed," Yesung protested, wrapping one arm around Kyuhyun as they started towards the boxes.  "You're going to be alright."  Blood loss was making it hard to think, but he held on to that thought like it was a lifeline.  Kyuhyun would be all right.

Suddenly Kyuhyun's body gave out and Yesung yelped as he was pulled down onto his belly by the weight.  "Wait, wait, Kyu, we're almost there!" he cried hysterically, shaking the vampire's frame and trying to keep him awake.  "Wake up!"  Looking up at the windows, he could see the sky outside starting to lighten.

Clenching his jaw, Yesung pushed himself back up again.  "You're not going to die," he snapped determinedly and started to drag the vampire's limp body to the boxes.  It was slow process, too slow, racing against the sun as it slowly rose on the horizon.

Realizing he couldn't move Kyuhyun any farther, Yesung turned his attention to the boxes instead, so close now.  Pulling himself over, he leaned against the stack hard until they fell, cardboard and wood scattering across the floor.  Finding the light, empty ones, he pushed them to Kyuhyun, forming a stack around him that would hopefully hide him from the deadly sun.

He had to stand to place what cardboard would stack on top and the first few tries either his legs gave out or dizziness pulled him back down, the human crashing to the ground and coughing against the rising dust.  Forcing himself back up, Yesung finally got the cardboard in place, creating a makeshift shelter around Kyuhyun.  Using other pieces of cardboard, he covered all the holes he could find before crawling in beside the vampire, wrapping his shaking arms around Kyuhyun's waist as he draped his body over the vampire's own, an extra layer of protection.

"You're not going to die," he whispered as the sun shone in from the warehouse windows.

That night after the sun had gone down, Kyuhyun woke slowly to find himself surrounded by boxes, Yesung's body on top of his and unmoving save for his erratic breathing. It was clear something was very wrong with him and Kyuhyun was terrified Yesung would die despite everything they'd tried to do to prevent it. Pulling out his phone with a shaking hand, his broken arm useless, Kyuhyun called Seunghyun and relayed what had happened, enduring the lecture he received until he managed to calm the other man down enough to let him know that Yesung was with him and needed urgent care.

"Please, I don't even care what happens to me right now," Kyuhyun said softly, trying not to let on how much pain he himself was in. "Just get an ambulance here for Yesung. He needs to be taken to a hospital..."

Seunghyun sighed and put a hand to his forehead. He hadn't been able to avoid the news of Yesung's disappearance; anyone with links to Kyuhyun had been questioned by the police and he was exhausted with having done his own fruitless search for Kyuhyun.

"Why are you so much trouble?" he asked rhetorically, shaking his head when he heard Kyuhyun give a tired sigh. "I know it's not your fault but really... you've been in more trouble recently since you met this Yesung guy than you've ever been in since Heeyoung..."

The topic of Heeyoung had always been a forbidden one and that didn't seem to have changed any when Kyuhyun cut in, his voice cold. "Just get help for Yesung, please," he asked, worried even more when his voice failed to rouse even the slightest reaction from the apparently-ill young man. "For all we know he could be dying. Just get them here, ok?"

"What about you?" Seunghyun asked, knowing there was something Kyuhyun wasn't telling him about his own injuries. He'd only just taken Kyuhyun home from the hospital the night before, so he can't have been doing very well with his still-injured arm. "What aren't you telling me?"

Kyuhyun hung up on him, not wanting to answer his guardian's question even though he knew he'd catch hell for it later when the man found out about his broken arm, and trusting that Seunghyun would get them help. Putting his arm around Yesung's overheated body, Kyuhyun held him as close as he could, not wanting to move until help arrived nearly an hour later.

Yesung drifted in and out of consciousness the entire day, his body wrapped around Kyuhyun's.  The effort to keep the vampire away from the sun had used up the last of his energy, his condition gradually worsening as the day progressed.  When he managed to rouse himself just before sunset, he had a full-blown fever and was practically vibrating with shivers.  Forcing his eyes open, he noted with dim satisfaction their shelter was still pitch-black and there was a solid body under him... cold and unmoving, but there.  Drawing in a shaky breath, he wanted to check the time but found he couldn't even move that little bit.  It wasn't long before exhaustion pulled him back under.

Arms were around him, pulling him up and off the ground.  Coughing against the dust, Yesung tried to open his eyes but they were glued shut.  There were voices issuing orders around him, flashing lights against the inside of his eyelids, all the sudden activity bringing waves of dizziness.  When he was laid down on something, some kind of plastic, Yesung realized he couldn't feel Kyuhyun beside him anymore.

"K... Kyu?" he gasped out, forcing his eyes open then quickly shutting them against the blur of movement.  He was being lifted and carried somewhere and the words around him were finally beginning to make sense.  Something about emergencies, ambulances... he picked up on the word 'hospital', and that was what got him to open his eyes again.  He couldn't go to the hospital. Not there.  

"Kyuhyun!"  Where was Kyuhyun?  He couldn't see...

"He's safe," Seunghyun told Yesung gently, his voice tinged with worry. "Thanks to you..." Gesturing to the men carrying the stretcher, they paused so he could talk to Yesung and calm him down. "He'll be ok. We're taking you both to the hospital because you need medical attention..."

"Thank you for helping him," he whispered softly to the young man, hoping nobody else had heard. "He survived the daylight and it's because of you. Now let us take care of you and help you survive too..."

Gesturing again, they began to load Yesung into the same ambulance they'd lifted Kyuhyun into, the young vampire laying on another stretcher, his worried eyes on Yesung. He held his good hand out, hoping to grasp Yesung's, panic flaring in his eyes at the sight of the feverish young man.

"Please be ok, Yesung... hang in there..." he whispered, his voice hoarse. "I'll be fine... we'll be ok, you'll see..."

It took a moment for Yesung to focus on the voice talking to him, recognizing it as Kyuhyun's producer.  Blinking at the older man, he felt relief at the reassuring words.  Kyuhyun was safe... he hadn't turned to ash.  Yesung knew Daejung had when no one around him commented on a dead body hanging around.

"Where is he?" he whispered, needing to see the vampire was all right.  The stretcher he was on started moving again and the dizzy human closed his eyes against the motion, struggling to breathe properly.  He'd lost too much blood for too long, his body fighting to sustain itself.  Spending the entire day crammed under a makeshift box-and-cardboard shelter hadn't helped either.

When he felt himself stop moving, Yesung opened his eyes again, blinking as he tried to focus.  His eyes landing on Kyuhyun beside him, the relief nearly made him pass out again, Yesung shakily lifting his hand until his fingertips brushed the other man's.  

"Thank God... don't scare me like that again," he murmured.

Paramedics worked around him as the ambulance door was slammed shut and they started to move.  He barely felt the needle puncture his skin but he did feel the sedatives begin to work.  His breathing evened out somewhat, darkness closing in as he held on to Kyuhyun's hand with every ounce of strength he had left.

"Why is it always hospitals?" Yesung whined before the sedatives pulled him back under, his eyes closing.