Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night - Chapter 2

Night and Day - Part 1/4 - Night

"If you want to get to know me, tell me about yourself first. What you do, where you like to go...or even where you live, if you really want to go that far," he added sarcastically. "Your life's story, basically. I'm not telling you anything about myself because I have a damned good reason not to until I know more about who you are and what you intend to do with me."

Running his hand through his hair in agitation, Kyuhyun sighed again. "And make it snappy before the sun comes up and takes care of me for you. I'm not like some others; I can't stay in the sun without paying the ultimate price...."

Yesung went bright red at those words, squirming uncomfortably. "Still," he mumbled. "I want to know who I'm kissing."

Was it so strange a question to ask? It wasn't like he kissed people on a regular basis. In fact, he could count the amount of times he's kissed at all on one hand and have plenty of fingers left over. People tended to stay away from the 'bad-luck magnet', thinking it would rub off on them if they were around him too long.

His mouth fell open yet again at the vampire's questions. "I have to give my life story before I get so much as a name?" he whined. How was that fair? What if he was worried about his own safety and didn't want to give out such details until he was convinced he wasn't going to be mauled in his sleep?

"What do you mean, what do I intend on doing with you?" Yesung was utterly baffled now, the confusion winning over the fear at what was going on for the time being. "I intended to do something? I don't think I'm intending on doing something, unless it's look for books on vampires to keep you away from my neck, and why were you on it; that's probably the worst thing to do if you're trying to convince someone you're not gonna kill them."

And he was babbling again. "What if I eat garlic? Will it go into my blood so I'm not as tasty?" He was less afraid now and more just trying to figure out which myths about vampires were true, completely sidetracked from the original question.

Tired of all of Yesung's questions, and feeling tired due to the late hour, Kyuhyun grabbed Yesung's hand and pulled him along, nearly dragging him through the streets to the better part of the city where he lived. If this gave him away, then so be it, but he couldn't be caught out during the day and it was getting close.

"Since you insist on asking so many questions, you'll have to come to my place for your answers. And then maybe I'll actually get a coherent word out of you," he grumbled as he walked quickly, hoping they'd have enough time to get there. He hadn't spent that long feeding and talking to Yesung, surely?

"Oh, and to answer your last question? Garlic does nothing... except make you smell weird. Doesn't hurt me, doesn't kill me, and most certainly doesn't stop me from being able to feed when I need to...." He sighed again. "But I promised you I wouldn't kill you. Doesn't that mean anything to you, whether you know me or not?"

He was beginning to feel frustrated. It didn't sound to him like Yesung was at all affected by the attraction he felt, which made him feel sad and somewhat upset. That mythical 'someone' that a vampire was attracted to (potentially for 'life') had never appeared to Kyuhyun, and he'd begun to hope somehow that even though Yesung was a man, he'd finally found someone whom he could share what passed for his life with. But it was looking less and less likely and he had to admit that hurt.

Yesung protested when his hand was grabbed and he was pulled down the dark street, his eyes wide as he stumbled over the slightly uneven ground.

"Hey, um, wait? I don't... where are we going?"

He knew he should start screaming right about now, break the hold and run like a madman for safer territory, because this was a vampire and following a vampire to their home was probably the stupidest thing to do. Cursed he may be, but Yesung wasn't stupid, and this was definitely a bad course of action.

But his body continued to stumble after this stranger, the human giving half-hearted tugs at the hand pulling him on every now and then. Suicidal, that's what he was.

"I should be getting back - my room-mate's going to kill me because it's so late and I should have been back an hour ago," he protested. "Um, c-can't we do this, I don't know, tomorrow night?" He wasn't sure if he was bringing up his room-mate to assure himself that someone would come looking if he went missing, or because he really did need to head back.

"People break promises all the time," he mumbled, voice barely audible. A promise meant nothing to him and if he was following a vampire home, he was naturally going to be a little apprehensive about making it out alive, yes?

Some part of him wanted to trust this man, and that was probably the part that kept him foolishly walking on rather than making a scene, but Yesung had every right to be scared out of his wits as well.

Ignoring everything else Yesung said in protest, Kyuhyun stopped short when he heard Yesung mumble about promises being broken. He understood that all too well, but he was no promise-breaker and he wanted Yesung to understand that.

"I do not break promises," he said, pulling Yesung around to look him in the eyes.

"I know what it's like to have promises broken, which means that I do not make them lightly - if I say I will do something, I will do it. If I say I won't, then I won't. I don't know what else to say to make you trust me, but I'm trusting you with rather a lot here, so you'll have to deal with it."

Having finished what he wanted to say, Kyuhyun began to walk even faster; his house was very close now and he had to get to it sooner rather than later. It didn't take long for them to get to the small two-storey building that was his home and he carefully opened the gate and pulled Yesung through, then closed and locked it again behind them. Now he could let Yesung go, but didn't, almost yanking him to the door.

"I'm taking a huge chance, letting you into my home," Kyuhyun murmured, turning to Yesung with a serious expression on his face. "You know what I am, and soon enough, you'll know who I am. Please do not tell anyone... what you see here. Or that I am a vampire. It could cost more than you realise..."

Yesung blinked as he stared into the shadow hiding the other man's face, trying to make out facial features. The only thing he could see was the vampire's eyes, dark and captivating. Just as before, once their gazes met, Yesung found it impossible to look away, caught.

He listened to what the vampire had to say, lips slightly parted as though to speak, but nothing came out. He had never considered the fact that he was being trusted. Besides the fact that people hardly ever trusted the back-luck magnet to so much as walk in a straight line, as a human he should be relatively easy to get rid of, right?

It was enough to keep him silent the rest of the walk, though the faster pace caused him to stumble more in the darkness. Busy trying to keep himself from tripping, Yesung didn't notice the gate they were approaching until the vampire stopped, and the human bumped into his back.

He blinked up at the building ahead of them as the gate was unlocked and he was yanked through. Yesung couldn't help the small shiver that ran through him at the sound of the gate locking behind them. He had no choice but to trust in the vampire's promise now, and try not to do or say anything that would make the other man want to kill him.

When they stopped outside the door, Yesung hesitantly met the vampire's eyes again. He hadn't been planning on telling anyone anyways...who would believe someone like him on something as crazy as a vampire roaming Seoul?

"I won't tell, promise," he said quietly. "You keep your promise and I'll keep mine." Not that he would be able to tell anyone if he was dead, but it was the thought that counted.

Nodding, Kyuhyun unlocked the door and slipped inside, bringing Yesung in with him. He closed the door, but left it unlocked; if Yesung wanted to leave, he could, but he'd only get as far as the outside gate, which was locked. Now that he was inside the safety of his own home, Kyuhyun was able to relax, the near darkness soothing his frazzled nerves.

"Do you need the lights on?" he asked Yesung out of courtesy; Kyuhyun knew the layout of his house so well he could (and did) navigate in the darkness, but Yesung had no such knowledge. "I'm sorry I can't open the windows or blinds for you...the sunlight would kill me. That part of the legend is true."

He let go of Yesung's hand, always conscious of where the young human was at any given moment, and almost desperate to kiss him again, but he held off partly due to Yesung himself. Kyuhyun wanted to know that Yesung wasn't being spelled into being here with him, that he wanted to stay. Of course he had to have the options put to him first, but he'd wait a little for Yesung's reactions.

Yesung felt somewhat better when the door remained unlocked, though he knew he was trapped regardless. Well, he could always run outside and try to get someone's attention, but he wasn't sure how well that would work.

"Lights would be nice," he agreed shakily. He was a klutz even when he could see where he was going, why make it near on impossible?

And then there was the fact he'd yet to see the other man's face... lights would eliminate that problem. He couldn't even see a few feet in front of him, though as he looked around and his eyes slowly became more used to the darkness, he could make out faint shapes around him. Well... it seemed normal enough...

Taking a few hesitant steps forward when his hand was let go, Yesung promptly bumped into the corner of the wall in the entranceway. Well, that would be why he couldn't see anything in that direction.

Walking over to the light switch, Kyuhyun the lights, his hand in front of his eyes to stop the glare from blinding him until he got used to the light. Being a tidy man, his living room was presentable with a sofa, a couple of armchairs, a television, and a selection of games consoles being the major part of it, as well as a bar that separated the room from the kitchen beyond. He'd left a few games scattered across the carpet and hastily went to put them away, his face heating up with embarrassment.

So few people ever came to his house that Kyuhyun didn't even know why he had so much furniture but he had to make it look proper, just in case. Gesturing to Yesung that he could make himself comfortable, he commandeered the prime position in the armchair he used for gaming, feeling more at home there than on the sofa that was entirely too...functional for his tastes.

"Make yourself at home," he said quietly, ignoring the fact that CDs and photos lined the shelves along the walls. Yesung would now find out just who he'd run into and why he had to keep the fact that Kyuhyun was a vampire a secret. "I'd get you something but... I have no human food here. Unless you want water from the tap."

Yesung flinched when the lights were , bringing his own hands up over his eyes momentarily. When he lowered his hands again and opened his eyes, he looked around with wide eyes. It looked so... normal. It didn't look like a vampire lived here at all. Mentally he berated himself; what had he been expecting, skulls hanging from the ceiling or bloodstains on the furniture?

His eyes followed the vampire as he picked up video games from the floor, waiting for the other man to turn around so he could see his face. Hesitantly Yesung stepped further into the room, unsure what he was supposed to do. The way the vampire quickly put the games away curled his lips upward slightly, finding it a little funny.

When the vampire finally faced him again, Yesung's eyes widened. He recognized this guy...he was an up and coming singer whom half Yesung's classmates listened to. Yesung hadn't looked the songs up himself, but from the times his room-mate would play the songs while they worked, he always thought the musician had a nice voice.

"You're that singer that everyone's been listening to," he said. By 'everyone' he mostly meant his classmates; he had no idea how popular this man was outside of his classes. "Cho... Kyuhyun sshi?" Yesung looked around the room, at the numerous CDs and photos. He didn't sit down yet, hovering nervously as though he didn't quite know what he was doing.

Sighing and nodding when it seemed Yesung recognised him, Kyuhyun ran a hand through his hair, just as nervous as it appeared Yesung was.

"You can sit down. I won't bite you..." he said quietly, gesturing again to the sofa and chairs. "So now you know who I am, as well as what." Kyuhyun sighed again. "Do you understand now why I need to keep it quiet? It could destroy my career, as well as the jobs of the others who rely on me to keep them in work..."

"It's also why I try not to make much of a fuss. I don't want anyone hurt because of me... again..."

This last part was said softly, and almost absentmindedly, as if it had happened before. As it had, with the one other person Kyuhyun had thought could live by his side, but who hadn't been his 'one and only' in the end. It had ended in disaster for him, and led to Kyuhyun's voluntary exile until all who remembered were long dead.

Almost sadly, Kyuhyun stared off into space. "I've only ever been good at one thing, so I thought I could do that, make some money from it and then..."

He didn't really need the money; his idea was that he'd donate it to a charity of some sort, but he hadn't exactly worked those details out yet. Kyuhyun had really only just started to get somewhere as far as his music was concerned, so he hadn't needed to think about that, but if he had someone who depended on him, he could leave the money for that person. His gaze sharpened on Yesung and he his lips unconsciously.

Yesung hesitantly made his way over to the sofa and sat down, still rather tense. Putting a face and name to the stranger definitely helped though, so while visibly uncomfortable, he no longer seemed to be searching for escape options. It was easier to talk when you could see the other person's face... or, in Yesung's case, talk coherently.

He nodded slightly to show he understood, considering what could happen if such a singer was found to be a vampire. For one, if the media caught wind of it there would be mass chaos, because vampires weren't exactly... everyday occurrences.

His attention was caught though by the quiet 'again', blinking slightly in confusion. This had happened before? Just how old was Kyuhyun, anyways? Sure he looked young, and was supposed to be young, but he was a vampire after all.

"You sing very well," he offered, though shifted uncomfortably when he saw Kyuhyun look at him and his lips. "Um... please don't do that?" he pleaded. "I know you promised and you say you don't break promises but it's still a little unnerving to be looked at like that." It was a very strange feeling to know you could be someone's dinner. Or... dessert.

Flushing, Kyuhyun looked away, not sure how to respond to any of what Yesung said. The compliment made him blush, but when Yesung asked him not to his lips, the blush turned to embarrassment; Kyuhyun hadn't even realised he was doing it, and it wasn't even for the reasons Yesung was probably thinking.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise..." he replied softly, his gaze on the floor somewhere around Yesung's feet. "And thank you for the compliment. It's appreciated to know that people like what I do."

Nervously fiddling with the controller he found stuffed between the cushions on the chair, Kyuhyun looked at his hands and felt awkward. Now that he had Yesung at his place, he was still no closer to finding out whether he was attracted to him in any way, and no idea how to find out without scaring the young man even more than he already had done.

Still, he wanted to explain. "I didn't mean to scare you..." he went on after putting the controller down on the arm of the chair, finally looking properly at Yesung. "I just can't help but feel attracted to you, and I don't even really know why." Looking frustrated, Kyuhyun sighed. "I didn't even realise that I could be attracted to men... but I am not going to complain because you are very good-looking too. What I want to know is whether you feel anything at all for me, or if I'm just wasting my time here."

"I won't kill you if you're not. I just won't waste any more of your time either and as long as you can promise me you won't tell anyone, I will let you go and you can pretend you never met me..." His voice trailed off softly, his eyes growing sad.

Yesung looked down at his hands, feeling the awkwardness heavy in the air. He wasn't sure what to say, and kept his mouth shut for fear that if he did speak, it would start a wave of senseless babbling like he was prone to doing when nervous.

"My classmates listen to your songs," he explained, keeping his gaze on his hands rather than look up. "I mean, they make playlists of a bunch of songs, and some of your songs are on them." He thought it important to let Kyuhyun know he had some fans out there.

At the explanation, Yesung finally looked up again, though he flushed a bright red at the compliment. Good-looking, him? But more importantly, was he attracted to Kyuhyun? They had just met, how was he supposed to know if he was attracted or not? And since he hadn't had a... boyfriend/girlfriend/lover... in quite a while, he hadn't given it much thought, choosing to focus on his studies instead because it was less depressing than his lack of love-life.

What really got to him was the sadness in Kyuhyun's eyes, such strong sadness. Yesung wanted to both get up and throw his arms around the vampire in a hug and bury himself under the sofa at the same time.

"I, I don't..." he suppressed a whine. "I have no idea what you mean. We just met. How am I supposed to figure out something like that, isn't this way too fast?"

"I mean, sure you're cute, but we kinda just got past the 'I'm not going to eat you' stage, can I have a moment to get used to that first? I-It's not everyday I meet vampires, nor celebrities for that matter, and I really can't tell anyone about this because vampire issue aside, I would get mauled by my room-mate for an autograph, and he's vicious when he wants something."

"You mentioned something about a room-mate before," Kyuhyun mused quietly, standing up and going to a case by one of his bookshelves. "Since I've bothered you enough, the least I can do is help you..." Pulling out a CD, he snapped it open and signed the sleeve, then closed it and handed it to Yesung with a faint smile.

"You could always just give him that and say whatever will keep him off your back."

Going to sit back in the chair, he sighed and looked thoughtful. "Of course it was silly of me to have hoped, but it's ok. You're free to go and you don't need to worry about anything. I'm sorry to have worried and scared you, and dragged you around town for my selfish whims." Kyuhyun waved a hand at the door. "I'll unlock the gate from here, so you can leave at any time. Though if I can ask you to wait until I'm not in the room; the sunlight will not help me any..."

A sudden thought hit him and he went back to the case and pulled out another CD, this time signing it for Yesung himself. "I hope this helps make up for the trouble I've caused you," Kyuhyun murmured, then went to the door that led upstairs. "Once again, I'm sorry... and good luck."

Yesung just blinked at the vampire when Kyuhyun signed two CDs and handed them to him, before looking down at them. Opening and closing his mouth several times, he looked back up at Kyuhyun in utter confusion.

"Hey, wait, didn't you want me not to mention this to anyone?" Giving this to his room-mate would surely bring up a ton of questions, and Yesung was a horrible liar because he babbled when he was nervous.

He listened to the vampire talk, absently thinking that he really did have a nice voice. Biting his lower lip, Yesung tried to think of something to say that would... what? What did he want? He wanted to get the hell out of here before he had no chance of sleeping at all... but he didn't want to leave this vampire looking so sad. Obvious issues aside, Kyuhyun didn't seem that threatening...

Looking down at the CDs, Yesung ran one thumb along one's glossy surface, before jumping to his feet.

"Hey! Um, a-are you free tomorrow night, or is it tonight now? Maybe we could get coffee, or something, I don't know what's okay for you to drink besides the obvious."

Startled when Yesung didn't leave right away but kept talking to him, Kyuhyun looked at the other man in surprise. "For obvious reasons, I work nights," he said quietly, wondering why Yesung still wanted anything to do with him after what had happened. "It would be very late before I could do anything not work related..."

He gave a soft chuckle. "Just don't tell people I'm a vampire and you're free to do whatever you like," he added, gesturing to the CDs. "I don't want screaming groupies at my door, however..."

"You could always just say you bumped into me in a cafe or something...?" Kyuhyun had no idea what people did these days for fun, but that would work, surely. "That would explain to your room-mate, at least, why you're so late." He turned away, his hand on the doorknob. "I need to... sleep... now," he finished, barely stifling a yawn. "Be careful on your way home..."

Yesung deflated a little at the other man's words. Well, of course he would be busy at nights, vampires didn't exactly have the advantage of working during the day. The human didn't know what else to say, shifting nervously from foot to foot.

"Then, um, whenever you're free, I guess," he mumbled lamely.

He nodded a little at the vampire's words, but seemed confused by the yawn. "Vampires can sleep?" he blurted out without thinking, then flushed slightly. Yesung couldn't help but be curious about Kyuhyun, as a vampire as well as a person.

"Um... thanks," he said, looking down. "You... don't really seem that bad, for a vampire." His voice went quiet. Yesung was just a coward whose bad luck put him into horrible situations so often he naturally assumed the worst. He felt bad for being so panicky towards Kyuhyun, kiss or no kiss.

Laughing gently, Kyuhyun turned around and looked at Yesung in amusement. "Well, what else would you call it?" he asked teasingly, the attraction pulling at him even more and driving him crazy. Why was Yesung tormenting him like this and not leaving when he was asked? "And thank you. I try not to be...."

Which was the whole reason for his curse - someone had decided since he appeared 'weaker' than other vampires by trying to maintain as much of his humanity as he could, that he would make it so that Kyuhyun was as weak as a human in terms of strength. It didn't really make much sense to him, but then again, very little did insofar as his life as a vampire went.

Unable to stop himself, Kyuhyun walked over to the young man and after a hesitant glance, pulled him closer and began to kiss him, not too roughly, but not too gently either. Just enough to communicate his feelings before he let Yesung go again and nearly ran back to the door.

"For your sake, as well as mine, please go before I do more insane things than just kiss you..." he almost pleaded with Yesung, the sad look back in his eyes.

Yesung just watched as Kyuhyun walked back over, still bright red from embarrassment. It didn't click what the vampire was going to do until Kyuhyun had actually done it, Yesung's eyes widening in surprise when he was pulled close and kissed again.

His mind was instantly filled with protests, mostly concerning the fact he hadn't agreed to a kiss (though he kind of had, back in the dark streets), and the fact Kyuhyun was a guy, but as soon as the complaints came, they were gone again. His eyes shut and he was hesitantly kissing back, awkward and inexperienced but trying nonetheless.

Yesung was just about to put his arms around Kyuhyun when the vampire stepped away, heading back to the door he'd been standing at before. Yesung opened his eyes and blinked at him dumbly, mind trying to restart itself. After a moment, he flushed red all the way to the tips of his ears, and put his arms back down quickly.

"O-okay," he stuttered. That was about as far as his insanity was going to go tonight(day?). He shakily went to the front door, but stopped and looked back at Kyuhyun before he could open the door, remembering about the sunlight.

Nodding at Yesung, Kyuhyun opened the door and stepped through, closing it behind him and trusting that Yesung would leave...and forget about him. Although Kyuhyun wondered; how would Yesung be able to forget if his music and image were everywhere he went, as he seemed to think it was? Pressing the button that unlocked the front gates, Kyuhyun idly wondered if he should get a video surveillance system so he would always know when people were coming or going.

That done, he sat on the bottom step in the darkness and put his head in his shaking hands. Just what was he doing? Kyuhyun couldn't allow himself to fall for someone who didn't feel the same way for him, it just wouldn't work. He knew that from bitter experience and never wanted to go through that again. It hadn't just been traumatic for the girl, but for him too. Sad and lonely though he was, there was just no way he could do that again.

Now that he'd made up his mind, even if it caused his heart to ache fiercely, Kyuhyun got up and went upstairs to bed. He lay on the bed for several moments before the automatic instinct kicked in and he went into the death-like sleep that he wouldn't wake from until the sun set.

Yesung watched Kyuhyun vanish through the other door, closing it with a soft click. The human looked around the living room, worrying at his lower lip. His hand rested on the door handle, but for some reason he couldn't open it. Not that it was locked, it's just that his hand didn't seem to want to push down.

Was it okay to leave just like this...?

Yesung brushed the back of his other hand over his lips, then looked at the CDs he held. For a long moment, he just stood there in the entranceway, eyes tracing the image of Kyuhyun on the front of the CD.

Then without thinking about what he was doing, he removed his hand from the door handle and searched through his pockets, pulling out his wallet. Flipping through it, he searched for a piece of paper, anything. His fingers pulled out a small note, something his room-mate had shoved into his pocket nearly a month ago. It was crinkled and said something about a five-page essay that was due in a week, but it would do.

Stepping away from the door, he quietly went through the living room, looking for the pen Kyuhyun had used to sign the CDs. He found it on the bookshelf next to the case of CDs, scribbling over the note his room-mate had left and hastily writing down his phone number, and a little question mark beside it.

He placed the piece of paper and the pen back down on the bookshelf, finally turning and leaving the building. The sun was rising, casting long shadows over everything. Yesung tried the gate and was relieved to find it unlocked, opening it and closing it behind him.

It took him a while to locate the main streets he was familiar with, and nearly an hour more before he ended up on campus again. He was tired, but classes started in two hours, how much sleep could he get? None, because his room-mate would interrogate him until class.

Thankfully, his room-mate was fast asleep when he got back. Yesung tiptoed into the room and locked the door behind him, heading straight to bed and dropping into it as soundlessly as he could (the bed creaked and groaned, but his room-mate was thankfully dead to the world). Placing the CDs on the small stand beside his bed, Yesung looked at them for a long moment before drifting into dreamless sleep.