I'll Catch You

Brain Damaged

Roars of the crowd below could be heard from the tenth floor of the hospital. It was a strange thing to see a bunch of fangirls – with an exception of fanboys – all gathered together crying and wailing in sorrow. All were screaming through the tears on their faces saying simple get wells. Of course it would look pathetic to an average citizen noticing the posters and banners of a famous man’s name.

Kim Jongwoon, Yesung, was emitted to the emergency room with a cracked skull and is being unresponsive.

It was a chaotic scene, cars stopped in the middle of the road causing traffic as people – ranging from females twelve to twenty three – stood on the paved streets. Some had lighters up praying to God for the safety of Super Junior’s main vocal.  News vans had come from near and far to be the first to report the important yet useless news to the public. Security guards were stationed at the doors of South Korea’s hospital knowing fully well the sorrowful fans could turn into a destructive force if any terrible news about Jongwoon was heard.

Many citizens gave dirty looks to the broken down fans on the sidewalks as a few had cuddled up on their knees. They see it as a nuisance, a waste of valuable life to worry about any idol. After all they didn’t give much attribution to the public besides looking pretty and debuting party songs. The famous stars lived in a life of luxury not knowing how bad the world really is. The only time they ever paid attention to the starving children in other countries or homeless people was when they wanted more recognition. Who cares about Kim Jongwoon? Who cares about Super Junior’s Yesung? There would be more of him in the future.

This, however, can be looked from another perspective. Jongwoon is still human and he gets hurt. So isn’t it safe to say that others can worry about him too? There are many arguments about treating idols as gods but as it can be seen at this moment, the fans could care less anticipating the news Jongwoon would be alright. All arguments will be dismissed for now.

“…Super Junior’s Yesung has been sent to the emergency room after leader, Park Jungsu, also known as Leeteuk, had called the hospital. An ambulance quickly made its way through the streets of Seoul to the boy band’s dorm. Many patriots had reportedly seen Yesung being carried into the vehicle with a gash upon his head. Many fans have arrived as soon as the news spread wanting to see the hurt idol. The doctors won’t….”

Kyuhyun tuned out the sound of the report out of his mind only focusing on the unconscious man before him. The brown haired male sat on a chair beside the bed where the elder lay. He didn’t know what to do as his eyes looked over the body of Jongwoon. He felt so hopeless not being able to catch him when he fell – oh how cliché that sounded in Kyuhyun’s head. But nonetheless, Jongwoon was hurt and the younger couldn’t help but feel guilty.

The beeping of the machines helped Kyuhyun steady his breathing somehow finding comfort in a machine that would alert the staff if Jongwoon was breathing or not. Tubes were placed along his arm, nothing too complicated, regulating his blood pressure. Kyuhyun didn’t know much about hospitals, besides the fact people enter and sometimes they never come out alive, or the medical devices used in certain situations. Was he curious? Of course he was.  Did it give him the instinct to instantly run out of the door? Yes.

Angry, the younger singer stood up from his chair with a clenched jaw. He looked at the patterned white floor glaring. Maybe he should of listened to his father in his younger years when he was explaining the tools used in the medical field. Maybe Kyuhyun should have read that book of the human body to understand the condition of Jongwoon. But what did you expect from a five year old boy?

Kyuhyun sat back down realizing he has been standing for a solid five minutes breathing heavily. Without thinking about his actions, he grabbed hold of the older male’s smaller hands entwining his fingers squeezing. Any type of physical contact was always a good thing making sure the other was real, a reality that wasn’t a fantasy come true. A smile made its way to Kyuhyun’s sorrowful face knowing the simple gesture was real as his thumb caressed the palm of Jongwoon.

“Do you remember that time in the library back in college?” Kyuhyun the bottom of his lip and let out a dry chuckle knowing very well Jongwoon wouldn’t know a thing. “You thought it was a brilliant idea to stand on a few books stacked on top of another. What were you thinking? Well you weren’t but at least you put effort, right? I should have told you to stop but all I did was stand there watching you. It was oddly cute.”

The younger thought about this with a wider smile. Jongwoon laid on his hospital bed with a cold expression his eyes shut seeing nothing but a blank empty space. It would be nice to hear his input or even see him blush knowing someone found him cute, especially if it’s from a fellow member. But after all the blushing, Kyuhyun was sure Jongwoon would be confused not remembering Kyuhyun attending the same college as him. It was horrible to know that your own existence was wiped away completely from another’s mind. It was so easy to forget and it was harder to think back.

“I was leaning against the book shelf careful not to make a sound and you kept struggling. You kept stacking one book after another until there was about eight. I knew it was going to end up in a failure as I just shook my head with a smile. God, weren’t you persistent! You had this look on your face full of determination, the same look you make when getting a dance down for the next music video. I love that expression, did you know that?”

A sigh escaped Kyuhyun’s mouth.

“Anyways, you put a foot down on the books and I was so tempted to grab your arm to pull you away from hurting yourself. Even though you were older, you’re very stupid Jongwoon. Still I stayed back smiling to myself because I had another motive in mind. One that would get me closer to you. I don’t think you heard but I muttered something along the lines of ‘catch you when you fell.’ Stupid, right? You idiot, you still thought standing on the wobbly stack of books was a great idea. And then you did it, you stood on the books with both feet to reach something on the top shelf. Guess what? You fell…”

Squeezing Jongwoon’s hand tightly, he chuckled quietly.

“Your eyes showed an expression of ‘oh I’m falling’ and it was all I needed. I remember standing a few feet away and then suddenly I was there on the ground you against my chest. It was an odd position seeing as you were a bit taller than me back then. You had your eyes closed, didn’t notice that until I looked down. You were opening your eyes slowly then they widen in surprise seeing it was me. The guy who was in three of your classes. The best part of this story is when you blushed and stuttered an apology. Oh God how much I laughed at your adorable expression. You were like a child. Weird to see that from someone way older than me.”

Kyuhyun stopped his story right there not wanting to include the part where he had called Jongwoon his ‘falling beauty’. It just seemed too….what was the word? Cliché? Odd? Embarrassing? He didn’t mention that was the second time he had caught Jongwoon before he fell. It also wasn’t the first or last encounter they’ll have at the college. It was one of many and Kyuhyun thought it was a good idea to tell a little story.

The room stayed quiet, no voices echoed out – machines didn’t count seeing as the sounds were needed – not even the creaks of the chair were heard. It was a sort of peaceful silence. It was still tense seeing as Jongwoon had no choice but remain quiet, his body looking lifeless and pale.

“Nice story, Kyuhyun. Care to join me on a walk?” the brown haired male’s heart skipped a beat knowing very well whose voice that belonged to. He didn’t even dare to turn around thinking if he ignored it, then he would go away. “Don’t keep your father waiting Kyuhyun. Besides, don’t you want answers?”

“Were you waiting for this to happen?”

“Did you just finally found that out? Now hurry up son, I want to have a talk.”

Without a word Kyuhyun gave another reassuring squeeze to Jongwoon but was having trouble letting go. He promised before entering the hospital that he wasn’t going to leave. Hell, he would even stay the night not getting an ounce of sleep. But he complied with his father’s wishes. He left looking away from Jongwoon and avoiding the gaze of his father.

With a triumph looked upon his face, Kyuhun’s father lead the way through the hospitals busy corridors.