Third Person, Omniscent

Forget Paris, Forget Love!

 

"Let's take roll," Mr. Wu announced boldly, and Tao swallowed slightly louder than he intended to. "Oh, and after we take roll, we'll introduce those who are new to the school," he continued before he calling out several names.

Tao shifted uncomfortably, and several moments passed as he tried to calm down. Tao thought about last year, and flashbacks ran through his mind. Lu Han's ex said he would find him after they broke up. He had scared the utter life out of Tao. 
 
"Now, let's introduce the newbies," the teacher called, waving in for several students to join the class. 
"Please introduce yourselves," he said, talking to four men.
 
"Hello everyone, I am Zhang Yixing, international student and new to Seoul Performing Arts," a tall, permed brown-haired boy said confidently in both Mandarin and Korean. 
 
There were several seats around Tao that were empty. Tao noticed and immediately scolded himself for choosing that seat.

"You can sit over there, Yixing," Mr. Wu said. Yixing took the seat right next to Tao and stayed silent.

"Hello, I am Byun Baekhyun, and I am new to Seoul Performing Arts," a shorter brown haired boy said after Yixing took his seat.
"Baekhyun, please sit right there," Mr. Wu gestured to the seat behind Zitao.
Tao hid his face and quickly muttered in a fluid Mandarin, "Idiot." 
 
"Hello, I am Kim Jongin, but you can call me Kai, I am new," he said quickly, staring at Tao, who was staring at him with wide eyes.

It was Lu Han's ex.

Tao shivered at the thought of what happened to Lu Han and he never wanted it to happen again.

Jongin quickly scanned the room for Lu Han, thinking. Surely he must be here.
 
"Jongin, you may sit there," Mr. Wu pointed at the other side of the room. 
"Ah, how about I sit diagonally from Tao?" He asked, leaving the raven-haired boy screaming for help in his mind. 
"That will work as well," Mr. Wu answered, without a single care.
 
"Hello everyone, I am Kim Jongdae, nice to meet you," a unique and distinct voice filled the room. 
"Please sit over there," Mr. Wu said, and Jongdae sat fairly close to Zitao. 
 
Ugh, what should I do?! Tao's hands swept quickly through his hair, followed by a brief sigh, his cheeks puffing out.
Yixing smiled at Tao and quickly said sarcastically, "Is it such a bother that I'm sitting next to you?"
"A-ah, no...." Tao quickly said, palms in the air. Yixing chuckled at the gullible man. 
"I'm Yixing, nice to meet you," said the man, holding out a hand to shake.
 
Tao smiled decently, not as genuine as he did with Lu Han, but nevertheless, it was from the heart. "I'm Huang Zitao, an international student," he responded easily. He shook Yixing's hand and Yixing smiled back. They both stopped their conversation and listened to the teacher explain indirect objects.

Jongin quickly wrote something down, on a scratch piece of paper and threw it at Tao, surprising him. Tao quickly unraveled the quickly-scribbled note slowly, cowering in fear. 
 
It read, Where's Lu Han?
I'm not telling you.

Tao wouldn't let Jongin know, not after all those marks and bruises he had left on Lu Han. He was not going to let the one he loved get hurt again. Zitao passed it back, worried for both Lu Han and himself.

Jongin quickly read what was in it. He clicked his tongue and ground his teeth while rolling his eyes. 
 
A loud ringing came from the school bell. Funny, it wasn't even time for switching classes yet.

But suddenly it registered in Tao's mind that it wasn't the class bell, it was the fire alarm.

Korean schools didn't do fire drills in high school - this must have been a real fire. All of the students got up from their seats and left in panic, grabbing all of their important things. The girls' grabbed their makeup bags and brushes will the guys grabbed their PSPs, and books.

Tao had been the only one in the room when everyone left, Mr. Wu had already left as well, most of his desk cleared and his coat gone. 
 
"Oh no, Lu Han!" Tao's eyes widened. He got up from his seat and ran for class 2-D, slightly tripping on the way. Lu Han's lung history scared Tao maliciously.

He ran to the classroom, opened the door, and had found Lu Han on the ground, his arm covering his mouth and nose, and unconscious.
"Ge! Ge! Wake up, come on, ge, you have to wake... up..." Tao coughed, with sobs coming from the end. Tao's vision began to blur and fail.
Lu Han's eyes slowly opened, just as he saw his Huang Zitao collapse into a fetal position right in front of him.
 
"Zitao..." Lu Han croaked, shaking the younger ever so gently.
Lu Han stood up, and carried Zitao out of the large school, his arms hooked under his knees and behind his back.

For several minutes, Lu Han ran instead of jogged. His best friend's life was depending on him, and it just made him go faster. Once Lu Han had gotten out of the building, all of the students were evacuated to get as far away from the school as possible, but stayed on campus. They ran to the field, and Lu Han set Tao down with exhausted arms. But he continued to use them, pushing his arms further than he could actually feel them - his friend's life was in danger.

With a shaky, exhausted breath, he shook Huang Zitao. 
 
Yixing saw Lu Han and Tao and ran to them. "Oh my God, is Zitao okay?" Yixing muttered to Lu Han. 
"No, I think he inhaled too much smoke, call 911 now!" Lu Han rambled quickly.
Yixing nodded as he pulled out his phone and dialed 911. 
"Hello? Seoul Performing Arts High School, just had a fire and a student inhaled too much smoke. We need an ambulance!" after a pause, Yixing nodded and wished them a good day before hastily hanging up.
 
"They're coming now," Yixing said reassuringly. 
"There's not enough time," Lu Han replied, tears in his eyes and his heart stuck in his throat. 
 
No matter how hard or how much he swallowed, he couldn't keep the sobs from coming out. Lu Han pressed his hands onto Zitao's chest before squeezing his nose. They both touched lips. Lu Han did CPR as quickly as he could to keep Tao alive.

On his sixth inhale, Tao finally caught his breath. The ambulance had just entered the school parking lot and Lu Han picked Tao up and ran for the ambulance faster than Tao could register. The paramedics pulled out a gurney and the blonde laid the other boy on it comfortably. Tao's eyes had just cracked open.

"You're gonna be alright, Tao," Lu Han said as he boarded the ambulance with him and the paramedics.
 
The injured boy then spoke. "Lu Lu, you don't have to worry about me... I just want you to be safe." 
"You idiot, how could I be safe if you're not by my side?!" Lu Han yelled back. 
 
The raven haired boy had never heard him yell before. His eyes were watering and dripped like a pouring rainfall. But he didn't let Tao see him like this, so he was grateful for the bangs that covered his eyes. The salty tears rolled down his cheeks and some reached to his quivering lip. Tao's arm rose and wiped the tears off of his perfect complexion.
"Don't cry. I will never leave," he said reassuringly.

Meanwhile, Kim Jongin was still at Seoul Performing Arts, waiting for his ride. The students had been dismissed and everyone's work was cancelled and the school had been closed for another week and a half. Some kids were happy, like the girls from 3-A, or 1-C. Some of them were not, like 2-E and 1-A. However, Tao and Lu Han were very pleased. 
 
Suddenly, Lu Han himself was rested in a gurney, both him and Tao assigned for lung fluid removal. Lu Han had the right to choose due to the fact that his parents had died, and Tao were allowed to choose as well, because his parents never cared. Both agreed to do it if they both stayed in the same hospital room.
"That will be promised, sir, just let us remove the fluid from your lungs. You've suffered great damage!" The doctor complied with desperation.

Both went into the operating rooms. The liquid had been removed from their lungs - it had been a three hour procedure, but it was very successful.

"Due to the inhalation of smoke, we will remove the liquid and restore healthy lung tissue lining, or it could cause permanent lung damage or diseases," the doctor had explained right before the operation.

Then, Tao and Lu Han didn't see a ray of light until six hours later. 
 
The blonde's eyes opened slowly. He was the first to see the sunlight. His throat felt like it had been tossed around in hell and just came back from a fiery burn.
"Oh, you're awake," a male nurse whispered pleasantly. "I'm Joonmyun, your nurse for the next few days!" He added quite enthusiastically.
Lu Han just stared in a awestruck manner. His chest was sore, breathing was difficult, and he couldn't even think about his windpipe pain. 
 
"Ugh, I'm so sorry, your throat must hurt like hell right now," Joonmyun observed. He poured Lu Han a glass of water and quickly handed it to him with a few ibuprofen tablets. 
"By the way, your boyfriend doesn't sleep well without knowing you're here," Joonmyun added briskly with  smile. 
Lu Han sputtered on the water he was drinking. Joonmyun looked at him concernedly until he waved him off and recovered. "H-He's not my boyfriend," He coughed. 
"But, you both sure do like each other," Joonmyun answered thoughtfully.
Lu Han sighed. "I-I just..." After a moment, he swat the ideas away with a shake of his head.
"Ah, I see..." He nodded understandingly before throwing a fist into the air. "Then, do your best to win him!" 
 
Joonmyun whispered a quick "Fighting!" and the blonde chuckled a thank you.
"How is your chest? A bit sore?" Joonmyun asked. Lu Han nodded. "That's normal, just keep being yourself and you should be dismissed the day after tomorrow," the nurse explained.
 
"WAH! It's already six?!" Lu Han yelled as he noticed the clock.
Joonmyun nodded in reply, a worried expression on his face.
"Oh no, I missed my clock in for work!" Lu Han grabbed his hair and reached for his phone. His arm stretched, hand holding the phone, and he swiftly unlocked it. I'm so dead! he thought as he quickly dialed the numbers.
"Hey, Boss... No, I know, I'm sorry.... I'm currently admitted at the hospital... the school had a fire... I was in surgery because I had to have lung fluid removed... okay... I'll be up at work again the day after tomorrow... thank you," Lu Han sighed in relief. 
 
His boss had answered the phone, worried about why he was late. Thank goodness Kyungsoo was understanding.
Joonmyun chuckled. "You should have told him that earlier," he whispered. 
"Well, I kind of couldn't thanks to the begging of doctors," Lu Han snapped back. Joonmyun raised both of his hands defensively.
Lu Han rolled his eyes, but his gaze eventually caught Zitao's. 
"Ge, stop staring at me, it's creepy," he croaked sleepily as he opened his eyes. 
"Y-you're awake?" Lu Han asked.
He cleared his throat. "Well, how can I sleep from all that yelling and whispering?" Tao retorted. 
"Well, you should have just woken up and tossed something over this way," he complained. 
"Are you guys hungry?" Joonmyun interrupted suddenly. Both boys turned to face his as he opened the door. "You guys can follow me to the cafeteria if you want to," he offered, motioning to the door. 
"Well, I know I'm coming, I haven't eaten lunch or dinner!" Tao complained, getting up from the hospital bed.
Lu Han got up as well, "Hey! I'm coming too! Wait up!" he yelled, following the two.
Joonmyun led them to the cafeteria, and the boys walked in, feeling strangely under-dressed in the pajama-like clothes they were stuck in for their hospital stay. 
 
The cafe was luxurious with several different foods plated out, and all the people that were there were patients and doctors. Both Tao and Lu Han were silent as they both carried big plates of piled high foods. Most of Zitao's plate was covered in Chinese food, mainly because the typical Asian could not live without rice. Lu Han's plate was mostly washed up with French foods, which was exactly his style - breads, rice, fondue, orange chicken. All of the things on their plates this evening eventually sat in their stomach, making them feel insanely stuffed. 
 
"Ugh, I'm so full!" Zitao exclaimed, and Lu Han smiled shortly after. 
"Me too..." Joonmyun said, patting his bloated stomach. They all drank water and talked easily. 
"So how did Lu Han's fluid removal go?" Tao asked Joonmyun. 
"Perfect," he started, "but you may want to take it easy, Zitao. You had worse lung damage, so you're going to stay for two days longer than Lu Han." 
"That's not going to be a problem, is it?" Tao asked.
Joonmyun's serious words followed, "It will if you plan to do any serious physical activity for the next six months. I recommend holding off on the straining sports that require breathing abilities - the strain they would put on your lungs could damage them further."

Tao swallowed the lump in his throat. 
 
Dancing and wushu had been his favorite activities ever since he could remember. Now Joonmyun was asking him to stop?
"B-but..." Tao trailed off worriedly.
"Tao's favorite activities are wushu and dancing though, will that be a problem?" Lu Han supplied.
Tao's eyes looked dead. Like black stones, they stayed still and  fixed on the floor nearby. He had just realized something.
Joonmyun essentially just asked - no, told - him not to compete in a tournament that was half a week away. He'd put in so much work for that single competition! It wasn't fair!
 
"So... I can't do wushu for six months?" Tao blurted, on the verge of tears.