Blissful Recollection

It's Okay Even If It Hurts

 

            One day, Taeyon-unnie brought home a guy. I turned 12 a few days ago, by the way. “I’m back!” unnie announced as she went in the house. “Welcome home, unnie. Hello, unfamiliar person." I greeted as I was passing the hallway(of the house). “Glad to see you, princess.” She chuckled. “Oh, this is Park Jung Soo.” She introduced. “Oh, mianheyo for being impolite.” I bowed. “What a cute and well-mannered sister you are.” He pinched my cheeks. “Arasso, Teukkie-oppa.” I rubbed my cheeks to heal the sore. “Teukkie?” unnie laughed and said, “Why didn’t I think of that? Thanks, princess for giving me a pet name for him.” She patted my head but frankly, I was oblivious to even get what she just said; she then shouted, “Umma! Appa! Myungsoo! I want you to meet a guest! Ppalli!”

            In a few seconds, everyone was gathered in the living room. Teukkie-oppa bowed and presented himself, “Anneyeonghaseayo. Park Jun Soo imnida.” Umma then asked him, “Nice to meet you but what might you need here?” Not that she wanted to kick him out; it was because she found it doubtful and weird for a guy to come to a girl’s house and meet her family. “Ah, actually, I wanted to ask for your approval to court Taeyon-ssi.” He chuckled as he placed a hand at the back of his neck. Everyone was inaudible for awhile and he gulped until umma, appa and Myungsoo-oppa started snickering. “Yah! Waeyo? Why are you laughing?” unnie uttered out. “So that’s it. I thought you were gonna ask permission to marry my daughter.” Appa said. “Bwo?!” unnie exclaimed. “Mian. Mian. We thought that you guys were already seeing each other.” Umma apologized. “Oh~ Don’t worry, madame. I’ll be doing that in the near future.” Teukkie-oppa declared. Everyone cheered except for me. I could never be cheerful to someone I just met. That’s how my personality works.

            Teukkie-oppa noticed this so he asked me what was wrong. I waved both of my hands and said nothing. “Jung Soo-ssi, why don’t you eat dinner with us?” umma suggested. He nodded because he thought it might be ill-mannered if he declined. While umma was cooking and appa was in his mini library, we decided to sit down. While I was just sitting pretty and reading my novel, Myungsoo-oppa suddenly hung his arm on my shoulder and challenged me in playing Play Station. Of course, since I admit that I like him, though I’m trying not to, I kinda blushed and directly stood up. “What? You said you wanted to play PS?” I told him while looking away. He smiled and we got on with dueling each other.

            Minutes later, Myungsoo-oppa started to whine since he couldn’t beat me. “Aish! Why are you so good anyway?” I shrugged my shoulders and did my mehrong, “Mollayo~ Maybe I’m just born to be impeccable.” I then went back to the couch and started reading while unnie took my place. Suddenly, I heard Teukkie-oppa saying something. “Pardon?” I asked. “I was just asking what you’re type might be.” He said. “Waeyo? Don’t tell me you’re going to cheat unnie?” I provoked him a bit. His face became distorted and he blurted out, “Andwae. I only like your unnie. It’s because I have cousins pretty much your age. They’re twin ulzzangs. Maybe you would want to meet them.” I stared at him for awhile and then forthrightly refused, “Shireoyo. I only like Myungsoo-oppa.” Everyone, upon hearing, laughed out loud. “Princess, you’ve been saying that for the past 8 years.” Unnie said. “So? It’s not like you can do anything about it.” I cynically replied. I swear, for a moment, I saw how red Myungsoo-oppa’s cheeks had become.