Chapter 4 - Surprises

Probability of Falling in Love

SOOYOUNG’S POV

 

I can’t lie, I thought we’d never ditch the clown that is Kyuhyun. But his disappearance came so suddenly and unexpected that it left me feeling uneasy? I’m not too sure if that’s even the right word, but maybe it was just too good to be true… There was a part of me that was even anticipating for him to jump out of the bushes after a few steps trying to do some lame attempt to scare us or more specifically me. Since I know very well that he’s inclined to do something pathetically dumb like so. It never once did happen though. Siwon and I walked past a variety of shrubs and that freak never came out, past trees, but nope still nothing at all.

I spent so much time analyzing the pathways for suspicious hiding places that I didn’t realize that we soon made it to the dessert store within minutes. Neither did I notice Siwon’s hand reach out for mine offering to help me up the stairs to the entrance. What was more surprising was me not even noticing that I accepted it and never once let it go until…

 

“Uhhh…are you still worried about your balance or something?”

He stares at me and then to our hands. OH WHAT AN IDIOT I AM… I instantly let go and swiftly run to the showcase of various deserts lined across the entire store.

 

“What are you thinking of getting Siwon-ssi? I’ll buy.”

 

“Only catch is that it should be affordable huh?”

It was strange how accurate his replies would always seem to reflect what my mind would be thinking.

 

I eye him carefully once his back is facing to me. He heads towards the chocolate section…so he’s a chocolate loving type of guy. I in the other hand head towards the small cute pastries. The smell of cooked flour is always decadent with the drizzling of powdered sugar atop. I stare at the various cookies aligned nicely side by side. They look both delicious and too cute to eat.

 

“Did you figure out what you’d like?”

His voice brushes closely by my ear and I realize that he is literally hovering over my shoulder trying to see what I was interestingly staring at a while ago.

 

“U-U-Uh, I’ll have that!”

My voice comes out awkwardly as I stutter nonstop. I stick out my index finger abruptly somewhat shocked and of course my body fails me. Instead of the cookies, I happen to point at brownies. NOT something I totally like.

Just glorious….ugh.

 

“Juhgiyo, five pieces of the brownies please.”  

He quickly orders right after and I pull my finger back slowly somewhat disappointed.

 

“How much is it ahjumma?” I quickly ask while I pull out my wallet hidden in my handbag.

“It’s already been paid for agasshi.” She smiles strangely at me then points to Siwon who made his way over to the other side of the room again.

I reach for my bag and although not really my forte, the brownies are still warm and oozing of a delicious aroma.

 

"You didn't have to do that. I said that I would pay."

He turns around and I wave the goodies in his face.

"I know, but I always thought that the guy should take the bill."

 

"You bought me too much though..."

"5 pieces. One for you and the rest for your friends from earlier today."

Thoughtful. Only real men know better than to make the girl pay. Only real men think of a girl's friends as well. Things were looking up in regards to this Siwon guy...

 

"I wasn't exactly friendly with them earlier and I'm quite worried that they might think of me wrongly..."

"As if you were a jerk?"

He looks at me with a cocked eyebrow and lets out a small but brief laugh.

"I was thinkiong more along the lines of  something less harsh like lacking manners, but yeah precisely. You really are quite a spunky one huh?"

"You know, I was considering giving you a piece of my brownie, but on the second thought I just might pass now that you called me spunky.."

I playfully waiting for a big response.

 

"I'm actually not too fond of brownies to tell you the truth..."

There it was again. The similarities between us kept on piling up!

 

"What's in your bag then huh?" I ask as curiosity continues to boil in my head.

"Just some chocolate covered almonds. Nothing too grand."

"Interesting..."

"What is?"

"Nothing."

His face once again is plastered with that cocked brow and small grin. This time we both fall into a small laughter. I don't exactly know why, but it is a bit funny ---in an awkward funny type of way...

 

We walk out of the store and he offers me his hand once more for assistance from the stairs. This time I notice it and I gladly attend to his offer. His hand is warm and it leaves a nice feeling on mine. The steps ahead of me start to decrease and a part of me is sad since I know that our hands will soon separate. I like this feeling...for some reason. The end comes seconds too soon and I pull away casually.

 

"Where's your dorm? Anywhere near?"

"A couple of blocks down the road. Wae?"

"Walking distance?"

"Mm. Wae?"

"Ga-ja (let's go). I'll take you there then."

I look at him surprised. I was not expecting that. Sure it was getting pretty dark, but I was accustomed to walking during such late evenings. Having company, male company to be exact, was different.

As my feet wobble to make a move, he lightly tugs at my sleeve once and shazaaamm it's like my feet have revived.

 

We happen to walk a couple of steps when his phone suddenly erupts into frenzy, his ringtone overpowering the silent night. He excuses himself politely and answers the call to the side. I stare at him and understand that the situation is serious. He hangs up right away and I just know what is coming.

"U-U-Uhh...Sooyoung-ssi, I know I said I'd take you to your dorm but something came up..."

"It' ok. I'll be fine."

"A taxi. I'll call you one and wait till it gets here for you to take. Let me just get to it right now okay?"

He begins to fiddle with his phone once more. I practically have to wrestle him from not calling one.

"Aniyo! Siwon-ssi. I'm fine seriously. You can leave, it's ok."

"Are you sure?"

"Weren't you the one that said I'm spunky? I'll make it through the night. Go~"

I shoo him away in order to finally convince him to attend to his news.

"Take this and be careful neh?"

He hands me over his bag of purchased goodies from the store. The thing feels much heavier than just chocolate covered almonds...

I watch him run the opposite direction. The man is a pretty damn fast runner that's for sure. His body soon becomes a little dot in the horizon and me, I'm just left alone.

I collapse onto the nearest sidewalk bench and peek at Siwon's treats hoping to nibble on something small like those almond things, but what is inside was nothing of the sort.

I reach into it and pull out ten pieces of various cookies. They were the ones that I just so happened to be ogling with my eyes just previously before. That explains the ahjumma's weird smile...she knew what sly little thing he did. I can't help but smile as I put them back into the bag and hold it into a small embrace.

 

 

Just then something drapes itself across my shoulders. I touch it with the tips of my fingers to feel a soft cotton fabric. I look up and it of course low and behold:

Kyuhyun...is placing his jacket over me.

"YAH! Wtf do you think you're doing?"

"Shut up and just wear it Soo-old!"

"Wae? hmm? Wae~ should I?"

"Because you're freezing cold and you're too stupid to realize it since you're smiling like a fool at whatever you have inside that bag you got there."

I grab my treats closer to me and further away from the lunatic that is Kyuhyun.

"How the hell would you know that I'm so called cold anyway?!"

"Because you're turning green!"

"If anything, I should be turning red you ...." I literally think that he's from another planet sometimes.

"Red is overrated."

I give up as his replies are constantly giving me migraines.

 

Just then, he pulls me close dragging me with his jacket atop. He begins to rub my shoulders feverishly fast and that's the only time that I realize that I am shaking, but I'm not too sure if it's because I'm cold or not....

Sitting side by side next to each other in the cold night, I see his cheeks turn into a shade of light red. I don't know why, but I bring out my hand and place it close to the apple of his cheek.

 

He stops and stares.

 

I stare back.

 

...

 

A/N: Hello~ I see quite a few are liking KyuYoung. I'm not too sure who exactly I'll pair Sooyoung with in the ending, but right now I'm leaning towards someone...who it is shall remain a secret though XP

Thanks for subscribing & commenting ^^