Chapter 5 - What We Subconsciously Do

Probability of Falling in Love

“What do you want?” She rapidly blurts out; bringing her hand down as she then quickly turns her head away.

 

“You’re the one who started touching me! You know, I can even say that’s abuse…touching someone randomly…tsk tsk. You’re jealous of my flawless skin huh? Soft like a baby’s bottom~”

 

She lets out an astonished laugh from the ridiculous remarks the fool was spurting out. She throws off his jacket from her shoulders somewhat now annoyed that she had shamelessly accepted his clothing for a brief second of receiving that extra warmth.

…but what she did notice was just how cozy she felt wrapped in his belongings.

 

“Wait…not yet.”

Kyuhyun lightly places his hand alongside Sooyoung’s cheek and guides her face back in his direction. He readjusts his jacket over her once more. Carefully he places it over her making sure to cover her up to the best of his ability.

 

“U-U-Uhmm…” She oddly lets out.

“Just one more second.” His voice is light.

 

She looks at him---the amount of focus in his eyes at that moment was appealing in some strange way.

Sooyoung’s hands clench tightly into a ball nervously at her lap. She lifts her eyes back his way and notices the distinct outline of his face…the flattering color of his eyes to the line of his nose.

 

“How much make up did you put on…”

Her hand strikes his face faster than one can imagine, without a chance of it being avoided. Her reaction was too swift, that the remaining words he wanted to say failed to even leave his lips.

 

...you don’t need any on.

That is what he wanted to tell her. That was what he felt.

Knowing her for several years, the familiarity of her close to nothing bare face was comfortable…it was what he preferred for some reason. It was like their own little secret only shared between the two. Only he is able to see her in that state and he never did mind.

That was the truth.

 

“OUCH! DANG SOO-OLD YOU REALLY ARE A GUY AREN’T YOU?!” He screams out while his entire body jumps off the bench.

“Omo.” The echo of her slap shocks herself as she leaps to attend the injured.

 

“Are you okay?!” She nervously asks, her hand firmly attached to Kyuhyun’s wrist trying to peek at her targeted area.

The whining boy stops flapping around from the instant she touches him…a strange feeling shoots throughout his body at that moment, but he convinces himself that it was the night’s breeze that tingles him.

 

“Only caring now after you’ve done some damage…not very good missy,” he teasingly says while peeking through his fingers that covers his face.

“Care…who said I cared? I was simply asking to be polite…”

 

“Because slapping someone in the fist place was a generous act?”

He sarcastically replies. “You’re really something else you know.”

 

 

SOOYOUNG’S POV

 

This kid seriously has no common sense. I am THIS close to laying another good smack upon his so called soft like a baby’s bottom skin or even worst, just plain out whopping his scrawny self. He never fails to make me speechless from the things he says…

 

“Why are you even here? You’re a stalker aren’t you?”

I quickly take off his jacket that he had put on me one too many times. I’m certain that bastard has some kind of odd gadget stuck on it…everything just seems too strange.

 

“Here take it.” I hand over his jacket which by the way is soaked with some kind of essence…I smell like the freakin lunatic now.

He takes it without thinking twice.

“For your information, I excercise at night. Running around the block or two is good for cardio. So no, not a stalker...no need for restraining orders. Oh, and I hope you weren’t assuming that I’d refuse to take my jacket back. I offered you some warmth twice, but I’m not the clingy type so if you enjoy this cold weather than that’s fine with me.”

 

Again, I’m astounded by his words.

I decide to ignore him for the rest of the night and trudge along the sidewalk off to my dorm, but I can hear his lazy dragging steps behind me, following my every move. A big part of me is indescribably annoyed. Like the feeling of having a bee continuously circle you. Although I do admit there’s this small and I repeat, fraction part of me that feels a tad bit safe having that crazy dude behind me.

I continue to walk in the cool night under the dark sky. The distance from home seems much farther today than it has any other day. I bring my hands up to my mouth for some warmth, but it does close to no relieving. It’s only then that I notice that gradually the accompanying steps behind me had disappeared and when I turn around, he is no longer there; as if his appearance this night was all just an imagination. I feel paranoid with his sudden disappearance…since when did he leave?

 

I turn once more, hoping to see his annoying lanky figure but it doesn’t happen.

 

“Looking for me?” The voice calls out from the side.

…it’s him.

I shoot him a disinterested face and continue to walk while rubbing my hands together.

 

He jogs to my side in no time and starts to fidget with something in his pocket. Knowing him, I figured it would be something idiotic, something ridiculously random.

Suddenly, he grabs my arm and shoves a hot pack at me. I look at him trying to seek some explanation, but he says nothing. Grabbing my bag of dessert treats, he walks off leading the way as the streetlamps illuminate the way ahead of us.

 

The distance back to my dorm now seems much closer than before. A little too close...I can see the image of the building in the horizon and I can’t help but pout just a bit…

 

KYUHYUN’S POV

 

She walks somewhat crookedly. It’s strange yet somewhat cute I guess. I can’t help but laugh underneath my breath at the sight of it. Just from analyzing her, I bet she’s fuming mad at my presence still following her.

But heck, it’s pretty dark and a girl walking home this late is basically an offering for es that creep the night streets.

 

That Siwon character…what the hell was he thinking just leaving their date like this? He should have shoved her in a taxi even if her highness said otherwise…push her entirely inside the yellow car until the door closes and it safely drives away.   

It’s a good thing I caught the pampered girl randomly on that bench before anyone else did. It sometimes scares the hell out of me at how many times I come across her figure in whatever I do. Forever bumping into each other.

 

I watch her once more from a distance behind and notice her trembling fingers, her pale skin turning a different shade…the indications of the obvious cold she is experiencing. The chick is too prideful for her own good…giving me my jacket when she needs it more than I do. At the corner of my eye, I see a convenience store and decide to spare some of my money just for this girl…oh Soo-old truly is a pain in the sometimes….

 

I follow my traces back near her and I notice her head bobbling one side to another.

Hahaha she’s worrying about my whereabouts because like she would say, it’s the polite thing to do.

 

I quicken my pace and reach her side. I shove the newly bought heat pack to her in replacement for the bag of treats she awkwardly holds. Without saying anything else, I continue to walk while this time, she follows from behind.

My steps pick up a notch or two and instead of worrying if she’s able to get accustom to the pace, I can only think of the fact that she really needs to get home fast before she catches a cold. I seriously don’t understand why she’s still out in the first place…

 

“Where’s your dorm?”

 

SOOYOUNG’S POV

 

“Where’s your dorm?” his voice is loud and clear.

The tone is somewhat strict which is oddly surprising, as if there’s some underlying protective meaning to it.

 

“Here…” I reply back. My voice is much softer in comparison.

 

He stops and turns to see me pointing at the building right at our side. He lets out his bewildering laugh as he makes his way back closer to me.

Carefully he gives back my bags and requests that I go straight inside. I’m not used to this side of him and it’s literally freaking me out.

He flashes half a grin and turns toward the street readying to head back to God knows where.

 

“Kyuhyun…”  I cry out for him. Subconsciously, my feet take off and I run after him.

“Take this…” I pull out the bag of brownies and offer it to him.

 

“Thanks. Now go inside.”

“Thank you…” I gently answer him as I shove him the heat pack firmly in his hands.

 

I turn quickly before I say or do anything more embarrassing or regrettable. As I reach the door to my dorm, my phone goes off in the silent night.

 

I stop to answer it and Siwon’s voice greets me with much concern. I smile hearing him on the other end.

“Did you get home alright?” He worryingly asks. "I wanted to call to make sure that you're alright. I'm so sorry for disappearing like that.."

 

Half of me gets fluttered with butterflies just knowing that Siwon was concerned, while the other half forces me to turn back. Kyuhyun continues to stand there frozen. Just staring...

Just staring at me.

 

“GOOD NIGHT SOOYOUNG-SSI.” He says unbearably loud, as if it had an underlying meaning to it.

He said my name. He said my name correctly

 

I can’t quite comprehend anything after that.

Siwon’s sultry voice that makes me smile becomes a distant listen and my eyes remain transfixed at the walking figure of that lunatic…no, of Kyuhyun, returning down the dark semi-lit sidewalks.

 

“Good night.” I awkwardly reply in my mind.