A Little Slip of Fate

I Knew You Were Trouble

 

“So,” Kai smirks as he twirls the chair around and sits on it backwards, facing Luhan with his elbows on said boy’s table and his head resting on his hands.

The girl who normally occupies the space scurries off when she sees that it’s Kai who’s taken it. “We’re partners.”

“Right.” Luhan swallows, giving the other dark skinned boy a tentative smile.

There’s a little scuffle at the side of the classroom, where Donghae’s ‘convincing’ another boy for the slip of paper with Taemin’s name on it.

The teacher right in front of the class room turns around a little too late, and Taemin and Donghae are already happily talking at the back of the class while the boy is helped up from the floor by his new partner.

They sit in silence for a little while as Jongin stares at Luhan, whose ears are turning red, and thanks his lucky stars that he drew the doe eyed boy’s name for the pair work project.

“…So… We haven’t really met properly,” Luhan says, clearing his throat. He’s a little stiff since the promise he made to Sehun is still echoing in his mind, but still smiles as warmly as he can, as the friendly mascot of the football team.

He doesn’t like judging people before he’s met them, so he tends to like starting everyone off clean, regardless of any promise he might’ve made with his best friend. “I’m-”

“Luhan.” The tanned boy opposite him smirks as he completes his sentence, and Luhan ducks his head as his ears flare up again. “I’m Kai. My friends call me Jongin.”

Luhan doesn’t voice out the fact that Jongin’s Kai’s real name, and that it should be the other way around.

There’s another awkward silence as Jongin settles on staring openly at Luhan, whose cheeks are flushing darker with each passing moment.

The doe eyed boy shifts in his seat before he finally decides to speak up. “Hey, we should really start-”

Unfortunately, Luhan is interrupted by the sound of metal scrapping the floor as twin chairs are dragged over on either side of him, and the doe eyed boy finds himself almost surrounded by another two of his classmates.

“Hi!” Donghae and Taemin greet him enthusiastically, at the same time, with smiles on their faces.

Luhan blinks a little in surprise at the sudden intrusion, but replies politely anyway, bowing slightly in his seat.

Luhan may have been in the last class, but he was far from a trouble maker. Maybe even the opposite of it.

He liked staying out of trouble, and holding back from fighting even if the other person was being a real jerk.

So he’s baffled since the three people sitting opposite him are really, the three most troublesome students in the school.

Sure, they didn’t look like the type who got into trouble on an hourly basis, but Luhan’s heard from the team about how horrible they could be.

Donghae looked like the typical, charismatic high school jock, whose mind would mostly be on sports. Taemin looked too pretty, too delicate, to do any harm, and Jongin looked more of a playboy than a delinquent.

But he guessed the saying “never judge a book by its cover” was right.

“So, Luhan, since Kkamjong here’s new, and we don’t really know each other, let’s play a round of twenty questions.” Donghae suggests, ruffling Jongin’s meticulously styled hair. Taemin nods, his eyes shining.

Kai ducks the offending hand, instead messing his hair up in a particular way so that it miraculously returns to its previous shape. He shrugs, looking straight into Luhan’s eyes. “I wouldn’t mind.”

Luhan feels a shudder travelling down his back as Jongin’s dark eyes connects to his own.

He doesn’t think project brainstorming time is for twenty questions, but he agrees anyway, since the other three think it’s a good idea.

“Me first!” Taemin declares, placing a plastic bottle on Luhan’s table before he gives it a good, strong flick. The bottle spins neatly, finally slowing and stopping, with its neck pointing straight at…

Luhan.

Taemin grins, rubbing his hands together.

Somehow, the notion doesn’t seem as evil when it’s Taemin who’s doing it, but Jongin doesn’t underestimate the pickpocket at all.

You never know what he has up his sleeve. (Your wallet included)

“I’ve always wondered this, but I’ve never been able to ask,” Taemin taps his chin with his slender pointer.

He has the full attention of the other three sitting around Luhan’s table, which is somehow becoming more cramped.

When Taemin continues, Jongin braces himself for the oncoming impact.

“If your name is Luhan, and it really is just Lu-han, since it’s on the register… Isn’t Lu your family name, and Han your real name?”

It’s like both Donghae and Kai deflate at the somehow disappointing question Taemin managed to cook up for Luhan.

Luhan, on the other hand, blinks a few times in surprise, but still nods after a small pause. “I… guess you could think of it that way. No one has ever just called me “Han”, though. It’s always Luhan.”

“That’s cool,” Taemin grins, “We’ll be the first few to call you that, then. I mean, imagine going around calling Kkamjong “Kim Jongin” all the time.”

Kai rolls his eyes, jabbing a finger on the side of the youngest’ head.

The wheels seem to turn in Jongin’s head, and he realises that Taemin’s question, and the answer Luhan had provided, would work on his side soon enough.

“My turn!” Luhan claps his hands together in excitement, his doe eyes disappearing into crescents as his mouth curves upwards in a smile.

Jongin thinks it’s cute how easily Luhan is pleased.

Luhan takes the whole body of the bottle in hand, and twists his fingers quickly as he lets go.

As the bottle slows, Jongin finds himself hoping that its tip will land on him.

And it does.

Luhan’s mouth forms a pout as he thinks of a question for Jongin, who only wonders what kind of question the boy would ask.

Finally, Luhan’s pinked lips part, and Kai stares.

“Is that motorcycle yours? Is it fun to ride?”

Jongin feels like planting his face onto Luhan’s desk, or at least face palming.

Luhan was way too naïve.

Everyone knew that twenty questions wasn’t just a game.

It was a way to find out things about people they wouldn’t normally tell you, sneakily, and so as not to make that person hate you, since the question was under the façade of a game.

Apparently “everyone” didn’t include Luhan.

“Yeah, it’s mine.” Jongin replies, a mix of a smirk and a smile stretching his lips. “I like riding it. You feel the wind rushing past your face, and that adrenaline that comes with balancing on two wheels… It’s the best feeling ever.” He shrugs. “So I guess it is fun to ride.”

And in that second, Luhan’s promise to Sehun doesn’t seem as important anymore, since Jongin and his friends seem really nice, and nothing really bad can happen with nice people.

Jongin’s even opened up to him – kind of – and Luhan’s really elated since he’s actually made friends outside of Sehun and the team.

Besides, motorcycles were cool, and riding on one seemed like a once in a life time opportunity.

Luhan blushes a little, but is able to level his gaze with Jongin’s. “That sounds really cool! I was just wondering, but… would you let me ride it? Just once? I really wanna try riding on one.”

Kai’s smile turns into a smirk, and he nods. “Sure, anytime… Han.”

Luhan all but squeals, turning a little pink at the nickname, as he clasps Jongin’s hands in between his and thanks him for allowing him the chance to ride on that sleek, black machine.

 

And Jongin knows that he’s broken the first shell Luhan has against him.

 

 

Too Easy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: An update. Was it disappointing? :[

Thanks so much to everyone who commented and upvoted <3

I really appreciate the support, and I really loved reading the comments. The were really encouraging :]

 

Please subscribe, comment and upvote :]