Kim Jongin

I Knew You Were Trouble

 

“What!”

Luhan flinches at the number of decibels Sehun’s voice has risen to, before picking up his fork and returning to his food, shovelling some salad into his mouth.

He thinks Sehun is over reacting. Like really, really, overreacting. It shouldn’t be such a big deal that the new kid is in his class.

Kim Jongin. Luhan remembers, linking the handsome, tanned face to his name.

Just call me Kai. He’d said, during his introduction to the class, eyes zeroing in onto Luhan almost immediately. Handsome will do, too.

“I don’t see why you’re so worked up about this.” Luhan replies, waving his hand dismissively as his eyes focus onto the only slice of grilled beef left on his plate.

He his lips, and the hand holding his fork closes in onto its prey, only for it to get stolen right before his eyes.

Luhan groans, looking to his right to see Tao, who’s sitting down beside him, stolen beef already mushed up in his mouth.

Luhan whines at the loss of his food while Tao only rolls his eyes, forking a slice of chicken on his own plate and dropping it unceremoniously onto Luhan’s clean one.

Luhan’s face lights up with a smile, and he pops the chicken into his mouth, chewing savouringly.

“Getting worked up? I’m getting worked up?” Sehun roars from his left, hand meeting the table with a smack.

He startles Tao so much so that he almost drops the utensils he’s holding. Chanyeol, who’s approaching their table, jumps and looks at them warily.

Luhan sighs again. “That trouble maker is in your class. How can you not be alarmed?”

“He…” Luhan trails off, gaze fixing on the particular dark haired boy who’s still queuing in the food line, eyes still drooping from the nap he’d taken in class. “He’s not a troublemaker. You can’t just assume things about people, Sehunnie. What’s that saying? ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’?”

Who’s he kidding? Luhan knows trouble when he sees it, and Jongin is literally swimming in it, from his smooth, styled dark hair down to his leather jacket and black combat boots. He doesn’t know why he’s defending Jongin, either. Luhan doesn’t even know him. But there is just something about him that wanted Luhan to get closer to Jongin. To find out more about him.

Sehun follows Luhan’s line of sight and groans exasperatedly, lifting both his hands and pressing onto both sides of Luhan’s cheeks, turning his head around so that Luhan faces him instead.

Sehun has to stop himself from laughing because Luhan’s face is squished up in between his hands, rosy cheeks puffed up against his plump, pink lips.

“Just promise me you won’t get close with him, alright? I don’t feel too good about him.” Sehun warns, a stern look plastered on his face. Luhan tries, unsuccessfully, to make a face at his request, and just nods instead.

Sehun releases him, but holds his hand up with his pinkie finger extended. Luhan takes it with his own pinkie, and they do their little promise ritual so Sehun knows Luhan won’t go back on his word.

When Luhan and Sehun’s hands leave each other’s and they return back to reality, they turn around to see the rest of the football team staring at them curiously, all eight pairs of eyes focused on them.

“What was that about?” Kyungsoo questions, looking between the two of them curiously. “Looked really intense.”

“Nothing really,” Sehun shrugs, turning his attention back to his food.

Lay rolls his eyes, almost knowingly, with a lazy smirk twisting his features. “I bet it’s about the new kid.”

At that, everyone starts buzzing excitedly. All their attention is turned towards Sehun, who doesn’t even look interested in what they’re saying, and Luhan just sighs quietly, resting his head on his hands.

It has almost always been that way.

Sehun was, is and will always be better than Luhan.

For one, Sehun has always been more popular than him. Sehun has always been the one people want attention from, who girls want to date, who coaches want to pick as the next captain, who people want to speak to.

Everyone has always picked Sehun over him, and frankly, Luhan might actually be getting used to the fact.

Luhan isn’t even well liked by their team.

It’s been made compulsory for them to have lunch together, as a team, four out of five times in a week.

Since Luhan is, technically, a part of the team, they don’t object. But they hardly even talk to him, opting to give all their attention to Sehun, who’s already so perfect it makes Luhan’s heart ache just thinking about it.

And as for that last day they don't have to eat with the rest of the team, Luhan normally spends time alone with Sehun. They’re best friends. Of course they should.

But Sehun’s beginning to take Luhan for granted, and Luhan knows it.

Sehun’s started accepting the requests for him, and him alone, to join the rest of the football team on that last day more frequently.

And whenever he does accept, it’s the entire team sitting and talking in the lunchroom while Luhan takes away his lunch and sits in a quiet spot, alone.

Luhan doesn’t mind, though.

It hurts, really bad, when Sehun doesn’t realise how bad it is for Luhan, but Luhan doesn’t mind. If Sehun wants to eat with the others without him, it’s fine. It’s all Sehun’s choice anyway.

Luhan loves Sehun enough to know that Sehun is... just the way he is.

He isn't selfish or conceited, god forbid, (Sehun is way too perfect for that) but Luhan can admit that Sehun is just a little, teensy weensy bit too self absorbed to notice anybody around him.

It has always been about Sehun, and Luhan believes it won't change any time soon.

So to him, everything is fine if Sehun is happy.

With that, Luhan glances to the side again, where Kai is sitting with two others from their class.

His eyes widen in surprise when he sees that the dark haired boy is looking at him, and even when Kai realises that Luhan has caught him staring, he only smirks.

Luhan puffs his reddening cheeks in confusion, mumbling an excuse to his teammates before hurrying out of the lunch room.

Sehun is all sunshine and warmth and colourful spring days, while Kai is all darkness and leather and biting winter nights.

Sehun has been with him all this time…

But why does Luhan seem so drawn to Kai?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Wow. I didn't expect this story to be so popular! I hope I didn't let anyone down...

On a side note, our dear deer has gotten Exo a bronze medal for hurdles <3

 

Please upvote, subcribe and comment :]