They're, there, and their

Your Writing

2. They're, there, their is NOT the same thing. They're is a contraction for they are. And there shows location. Their shows ownership as in "Their fanfic is a piece of crap because they used their in the wrong form." 


This pisses me off more than anything. You using the incorrect form of any of these three means that a) you're a dumb , b) you didn't pass basic kindergarten English, or c) all of the above.

Seriously guys, how hard is it to use them right? They're not long words so it isn't that hard to type them act. C'mon guys, let's do a little crash course.

They're

Notice that they're is a conjunction. It means they are. It is also a subject pronoun. They- with the verb- are. They're means they are! 

Examples:

They're playing basketball.

They're watching Super Junior live tonight on Music Core.

They're in school right now, but they'll be out soon.

There

There denotes location. A place. A way I remembered this in elementary school was because inside of the word there is here. Here shows place and there does too. Remember that. This can be used to describe position of nouns. It can also be used as an adverb.

Examples:

Her shoe is there.

I promised to be there later, so I have to leave early.

It can also be used as a pronoun to begin a sentence.

Examples:

There is a lot of work to do tonight, so let's hustle!

There is some fruit left in the refrigerator.

There isn't going to be anyone at the party, so let's go there instead.

Their

Their shows ownership. I remembered this easily too because their has the word heir in it, someone who gains ownership. It is a possessive adjective. An adjective describes a noun. Put their before a noun! It's an easy equation: their+noun

Examples:

Billy and Sara have the same test. They are studying for their test.

The athletes are doing their exercises.

She stole their money.


Please, please, please! Don't make this mistake anymore! Stop shaming your English teachers! Stop it!