Part I: Day XY

Say Something

 

 

 

It hasn’t been long since Asia’s top supermodel Kris Wu transferred to the same school Yixing is currently attending. Once he came, he has been the object of attention, interest, and appraisals. He is followed by and looked up to by the entire student body. Everyone thinks he is like a star fallen from the sky, a wingless angel sent to earth, a gift to humankind. Everyone has deemed him perfect and godly. Kris Wu believes he has everything and everyone running on the palm of his hands.

But he is utterly wrong.

At least two people may or may not actually hate him.

Zhang Yixing and Luhan—the best buddies, the top students from senior year.

Everyone knows Luhan is selfish, outstanding, and talented, gets all the attention without even trying, and is loved by everyone because of his adorable cuteness. Moreover, Luhan is obsessed with himself and does not care for other people, unless someone manages to tick his nerves.

So without a doubt, Luhan is indifferent to Kris Wu. Everyone treats the celeb a VIP? The certified VIP even amongst the VIPs? So what? Luhan does not give a damn. Luhan is an accomplished and established student, who knows where his territory is and does not care about anyone as long as he is not being disturbed.

But, as time passes by Luhan is also starting to hate Kris because Yixing hates him. But why would Luhan get involved with Yixing’s personal affairs?

This is how Luhan’s story actually began.

 

 

~DAY X~

 

 

The library has always been Luhan’s sanctuary. He loves the atmosphere books give off around him. He feels so smart and so big, like he’s the man who’s always on top of his game. That’s right. Self-satisfaction always drives Luhan into extreme euphoria others might consider him crazy if they saw him suddenly smiling or grinning or even laughing all by himself. But because he’s cute, others don’t actually mind his weirdness and they actually let him off the hook of what normal people would consider beyond normality.

And that’s exactly the situation Luhan is in when Yixing suddenly breaks through his barrier.

Yixing plops a couple of books on the table and sits across from Luhan, who raises an eyebrow at Yixing.

“Physics assignment,” Yixing blurts out, knowing that the older man would scold him for disturbing his era of self-reflection. But Yixing loves to point it out as self-obsession. Or self-possession?

Yixing quickly flips through the pages with the book upside down when suddenly a sheet of paper fell from the book. Yixing bends down to retrieve the object but Luhan is much quicker and grabs the letter to fish something out of it.

Fact #1: LUHAN LOVES TO PRY ON OTHER PEOPLE’S BUSINESS.

“Hey, this is addressed to…me?” Luhan says.

Yixing extends his hand out to get a look on what is written on the paper, but Luhan keeps a safe distance between the two of them and starts reading the message aloud.

 

Dear Luhan,

 

I would like you to know that I’m really interested with a certain something you possess and I would like to personally talk with you regarding the matter.

 

Signed, F.

 

Luhan grunts. “Sure, this is some prep talk.”

“Who’s F?” Yixing asks.

“I don’t know,” Luhan says, propping his arms at the back of his head.

Yixing gets the paper from the table.

Upon seeing Yixing’s reaction, Luhan quickly transfers to Yixing’s side and places his hand over Yixing’s head.

Yixing has gone pale and still. His face seems to have been drained of blood, and he feels a little bit sweaty and cold to the touch. Luhan gasps, and starts asking Yixing, “Are you all right? Do you need me to get you to the doctor?”

Yixing responds with a lightning speed. “You need to take me to the psychiatrist! Or else I’d lose my mind! This is that ’s handwriting!”

“Whose?”

“Kris Wu!”

“What?”

“YES! This is his!”

“Yixing,” Luhan begins. He doesn’t know if he’s supposed to get mad, to get worried, or to just laugh at Yixing’s predicament. “How the hell do you even know how his handwriting looks like? I thought you hate him.”

“I HATE HIM!” Yixing tears the paper into pieces and crumples them all.

Luhan sits back down on a chair beside Yixing, wanting to make sure that his friend is all right. Thankfully, the color seems to be rushing back to his face as he seems to heat up above a hundred degrees Celsius. Well, that would’ve been absurd.

“Urgh! He! That actually sent me a love letter one time, but I burned it.”

“He did WHAT? And you—YIXING!!! WHEN THE HELL DID THESE THINGS HAPPEN???”

“Um, a week ago?”

“Stupid! YOU are in love with Kris Wu!”

Excuse me?” Yixing’s eyes widen comically in disbelief.

“Trust me. You loved him from the very start. You’re just not aware of it. Seriously, how can you be so dense?”

“I. AM. NOT. INTESTED. IN. A. JERK. LIKE. HIM,” Yixing says through gritted teeth.

“Yes, you are!”

Fact #2: LUHAN THINKS HE’S RIGHT IN EVERYTHING HE SAYS.

Note: Yixing thinks it’s just a theory. A theory he needs to prove.

 

 

~Day Y~

 

 

Fact #3: LUHAN IS ACTUALLY A DILIGENT PERSON.

Luhan sits silently on his chair, reading sentence after sentence and analysing everything what those sentences mean, as if those were some kind of ancient symbols he needs to decode so he could solve the mystery no one else on earth could, when suddenly Yixing interrupts him.

“Hey, I’ve got a problem. Mind solving it for me?” Yixing whispers.

Luhan glares at him and mouths at him, “I’m busy!”

“But this is important!” Yixing argues back.

Luhan looks at their Calculus teacher, who is so busy writing formulas and questions and answers on the huge blackboard with his back turned towards them.

“What? You’re disturbing me!”

“It’s about Kris Wu.”

“What about him?”

“He actually apologized to me this morning.”

“What for?”

Yixing shrugs. “He apologized for being popular. I don’t get it. Do YOU apologize to people for being popular?”

Luhan bursts out laughing. All heads turn to him. He opens his mouth to reason out, but their ever strict teacher motions for him to go outside of the room. Being the diligent student that he is, Luhan complies. But he glares at Yixing because he blames him for this misfortune.

But Yixing is like a loyal dog. He follows Luhan outside the room, his tail wagging behind him.

Luhan feels lighter when Yixing joins him in his demise. He rewards the younger with a pat on the head followed by a ruffle on the hair, which Yixing really likes.

“No one apologizes for being popular. Stupid Yixing.”

Yixing pouts but smiles.

“So do you like him now?” Luhan asks.

Yixing frowns. “Luhan, that is SO out of the question. I beg you to stop asking me the same thing.”

“But you really do like him!”

I don’t. I won’t forget those times when he actually punched my locker door and put trash in it, when he bumped me in the shoulder in the hallways for like a thousand times, when he tripped my foot during a basketball game, when he pushed me aside and I fell to the floor and he didn’t even glance back and help me, when he cheated and copied my assignment without asking permission from me! HE NEVER SAID SORRY TO ANY OF THOSE. He’s an ! And that means, I’d never forgive him so liking him is IMPOSSIBLE.”

“BUT YOU ALREADY ARE! You just don’t realize it.”

“Luhan—“ Yixing sighs in exasperation but he knows that no matter how he tries to explain how he’s never ever going to like and become friends with Kris Wu, he knows that Luhan would just drill his ideas into him and would want for him to enact those ideas.

Fact #4: LUHAN CAN BE SO PUSHY, STUBBORN, AND BOSSY ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Note: Yixing knows the cure to this kind of Luhan’s disease: STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM.

 

 

But, Luhan cannot be pacified. So he puts into action his PROJECT YIXING.

He's the man behind the strings. The true-to-life cupid.

But it doesn't make sense, does it?

Is he really doing this for his best friend Yixing?

Or is he doing this for Kris Wu?

Is he really indifferent to Kris Wu?

Or are they friends of some sort?

Only Luhan knows.

 


 

***To be continued***