Guess Who

The Pact
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Amber releases a loud sigh as she stares up at the ceiling. Holding her phone by her ear, she lets Jackie speak after her sister listens to her premonition. Although Jackie is on the other side of the world undergoing her university exchange trip in London, she manages to keep in regular contact with her beloved younger sister who is attending high school in Korea.   "That just... !" she says, annoyance clear in her tone. "If he really loves you, he would have fought for your relationship, Ber!"   "Jackie," Amber says in exasperation, "if it was you, would you really do that to Mum and Dad? If marrying someone from a good family is the only way to save your family from hell, wouldn't you do it?"   Because Amber completely gets where Se Hun is coming from.   It doesn't matter how much in love she is with Se Hun; if her parents have requested her to marry someone to save their family, she would. Blood is thicker than water. Of course, under the condition that the man she is marrying is decent and respects her. Not that her parents would let her marry anyone not suitable for her in their opinion.   "No," Jackie instantly answers. "There are many ways to Rome, Amb. I don't believe that marrying someone is the way to go. I wouldn't sacrifice my happy relationship for something that would ruin me a lifetime."   Happy relationship...   For some reason, the words echo in her mind and she couldn't point out why they carry such a heavy significance to her.   "But is it really worth it when we've only known each other for like five years compared to the lifetime we spent with our family?"   "Amb, I love Mum, Dad, and you, it's not questionable, but that doesn't mean I have to sacrifice my future-"   "You're just saying that because you have no intention of getting married," Amber argues.   "No, I don't," Jackie calmly replies. "But if I were in a long-term, stable relationship, that's what I would do."   "I've only been with Se Hun for 12 months," she states, still questioning the worth of their relationship to be fought for.   "Amber," Jackie begins with a wise tone she always uses when she is about to say something meaningful to her little sister, "It doesn't matter how long you've known him for. If he has kept you smiling since day one... don't ever ever lose him!"   It's as if Jackie's words wake her up. She is taken back to the moments she has shared with Se Hun, and how they make her feel.   When he hugged her in a clingy embrace before their relationship became more than friends - how warm he made her feel despite the harsh words she uttered.   When he gave her a quick, surprise peck on the lips because he wanted to - how the butterflies in her stomach won't stop fluttering although she gave him a glare for startling her.   When he held her hand as they walked down the street, her in her short boyish hair, without caring how they looked to passers-by - how happy and appreciative she felt for he wasn't afraid to show his love, adoration, and respect of her for who she is.   When she got mad and asked him why he always stuck around her, he simply replied, "I can't see anything that I don't like about you" - how flabbergasted she was, but won't lie how he had touched her immensely.   Amber beams. She is feeling more confident than ever that she doesn't want to let Se Hun Oh go for whatever reason. He is one of the people she wouldn't trade for the world.   She wonders why Jackie is so good at all these wise advises, especially given the fact that she isn't even interested in getting into a relationship. She seems to know a lot although she never experienced it herself. She has this very matter-of-fact view on romance and relationship. She used to say "Before I get into a relationship, I need to know whether it is possible that two people can stay happy together forever." Apparently, their parents aren't good enough reasons for her. She used to dismiss it by saying, "I don't suit to be in a relationship anyway. I hate sharing. If I have someone, I'd have to eventually share a bed and room with him. I've had enough of that with you." Their parents always put them together in one room with the aim of enhancing their sisters' bond, which is successful but Jackie likes her personal space and isn't afraid to show how much she looks forward to discontinue co-habiting a room with Amber. In another words, to move out.   Her train of thoughts is broken by the arrival of a fluffy golden and black chihuahua on her bed. It's as if Se Hun's ninth month anniversary present is also supporting Jackie's advise.   "Jack Jack seems to agree with you," Amber says goodnaturedly.   Laughter rings through the phone. "I know you miss me, that's why you named the dog Se Hun gave you after me."   "Whatever. Thanks for your advise. I think I'm going to fight for him now. I don't want to lose him."   "Good. Oh by the way, you should find out who he is marrying first."   "Why is that?"   "If she is the Korean version of Angeline Jolie, forget it. You won't win. I'd marry Brad Pitt if that means saving our family."    Amber could literally hear Jackie smirking on the other side of the phone.   Very nice, Jack...   ---   "Man, why you so depressed?"   Myung Soo glances at his best friend, Sung Yeol, and sighs heavily. Sung Yeol looks so considerate behind his thick glasses, which makes Myung Soo even more sad. He is being sympathised.   "It's complicated," Myung Soo says, sighing again. And he just feels like crying. "How could something so perfect turn out this way?" he pouts miserably, looking at Sung Yeol with questioning eyes.   "What happened?" Sung Yeol innocently blinks at his friend's behaviour.   "Krystal's getting married," Myung Soo reluctantly states.   "What?!" Sung Yeol's high-pitched shriek echoes against the wall of the classroom. Myung Soo instantly glares at him to be quiet as the eyes of their Maths tutor and fellow students are directed at them. Sung Yeol bows apologetically to them and flips his book to the back page, where words written in pencil is apparent; made back when they had their private conversations like this one in the past. Although Sung Yeol is very serious with his study to retain his scholarship right at Kent, he cares for Myung Soo like a brother and always listens when needed.   Is she pregnant?   Myung Soo lets out a hissing sound that only Sung Yeol could hear.   Then what's the problem?   Myung Soo brings himself closer towards Sung Yeol's book and writes: Family problem.   Sung Yeol smirks and shakes his head. Myung Soo knows what he is thinking, even without him voicing it out. "Political marriage. Chaebol these days."   Myung Soo says nothing and waits until the end of their two-hours' tutoring session. As they walk towards the Kim's family car, Myung Soo grunts, "She was the one who chased after me! And now when I'm finally hers, she dumped me like a sackbag!"  

The older boy pats Myung Soo's back, in a way that he also doesn't now what to do about the situation.  "Hey, Myung, let me ask you something." Myung Soo lifts up his head to offer his attention and Sung Yeol begins, "If you were in her position. If Uncle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter