Chapter 3

Vigilant
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Watch your person carefully,” his father had told him long ago. “Protect them with all you’ve got. Even if it seems bothersome in the beginning you’ll just have to adapt.”

Hyesung had been hesitant to take his father’s advice, but the older man had kept insisting. “There’s things out there – not human beings from this earth,” he’d said, successfully nabbing little Hyesung’s curiosity.

“Dark beings who will make even the strongest man on earth crumble by sheer fright – unless they get help from a guardian angel.”

Hyesung had been young, so what he had pictured in his mind at that age was a terrible monster. A big black silhouette with long claws, terrifying fangs and white eyes. It still remained glued into his memory. “That is why you have been assigned to one person. Not all individuals are lucky enough to have a guardian angel by their side, even more so a human one,” his father continued. “But on the other side, the person with a guardian angel usually have a shorter lifespan than those without one.” Recalling this conversation, Hyesung had found it logical that this person was his task to keep out of danger. Right now he lay completely still in bed, listening to a bird somewhere outside his window while thinking about the words from his father.

It was six in the morning, the usual time for Hyesung to get up, but Eric was showering and Hyesung was pretending to be asleep so not to make anything awkward when the other guy came out. He tried to remember the rest of the conversation with his father.

“Usually they have a shorter lifespan because of an accident or something similar waiting for them. A person requiring a guardian angel is typically someone with bad luck. There are demons that can sense their bad luck. To demons those persons are usually an easier target, so you better watch out.”

Hyesung had heard a lot about those demons, but his father had been very precise with the fact about that only being his experiences with them, and each experience had been different from the others.

He’d finished his speech with a sharp: “Just don’t be ignorant, kid!”

Hyesung was dragged out from his memories when the bathroom door opened and the damp air hit his face as Eric got out. Since his bed still was the closest to the bathroom he heard it every time someone went in there, and had during his three days at the dorm learned that Eric showered every morning at six o’clock.

To Hyesung the bathroom still was a private place, so every time Eric tried to get in while he was changing they had both ended up bickering with each other. More specifically, Hyesung nagging at Eric until the older left the room. Eric had played pretty cool to his surprise, and didn’t hold a grudge for every time Hyesung had thrown a shampoo bottle after him. Although Eric had named him “Little Prince” every time Hyesung cared about petty things.

It annoyed Hyesung to no end.

It’s a good thing this airhead only has six months, he thought angrily as he felt Eric stand over his bed, letting small water drops fall from his hair and hit Hyesung’s uncovered face, making it wet. Pretending to sleep was almost impossible, but Hyesung wouldn’t lose.

“Hyesungie,” Eric happily sang. Hyesung could almost hear his grin through only his voice. The older turned silent for a moment until Hyesung suddenly felt Eric’s warm breath against his ear. He clenched his eyes even more shut. The warm breath whispered “Did I make you wet?”

“Ya!” Hyesung exploded, violently turning and shoving that idiot’s way too close face away. “What the hell do you think you’re playing at?”

He saw Eric lying on the floor with shoulders shaking and mouth wide open, laughing so hard he could barely breathe.

Hyesung’s anger flared up like fire in dry grass.

“Hahah, I’m sorry,” Eric said, taking huge gasps of air and finally finding his voice. “You – you should have seen your face!” he yelled, bursting out laughing again like a kid. Hyesung stomped out of his bed and politely held his middle finger up to the other one. Eric looked at him, still laughing, when Hyesung smashed the bathroom door as loud as he could behind him, trying to kill the sound of his roommate. It didn’t work.

“We’re supposed to meet at the entrance in ninety minutes, don’t spend too much time in there. Wanna have breakfast together?” Eric’s voice shouted through the door and Hyesung snorted.

“Get away from me, creep! I’ll eat alone,” he shouted back. He heard Eric snort, but the outside of the door remained silent.

Releasing a breath of relief, Hyesung faced the mirror. “Just endure it for six months,” he breathed through his teeth.

 

 

The welcome ceremony went smoothly. It was as boring as any ceremony and soon they were shushed into their separate rooms. Eric and

Please log in to read the full chapter