Don't Cry

Honey, Syrup, Whip!

 

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

What the hell? Who's calling me this late at night? It's like 12:28 a.m.

"Hello?" I answer the phone.

"Hello is this Sandara Park?" asked some middle aged women.

"Yes. This is her speaking. Who's calling?" I asked half awake and half asleep.

"We have bad news. Your mother, Mi Kyoung Park, is being held in our hospital, Asan Medical Center. It seems she has been in a very bad car accident. There's a 10% she can survive. You sh-- "

I couldn't believe my ears. That's not right. My mom...my mother? In a car crash? I immediately dropped the phone and went running over there. So who cares if I'm running in the middle of the night to a hospital. All I want to do right now is get over there and see my mom. Asan Medical Center isn't far from where I live. I arrive at the hospital and quickly ran up to the front desk.

"Where is Mi Kyoung Park!?" I was so hurried I didn't even get to ask politely. 

"Room 106 bu-"

I sprinted to room 106 finding my mom covered in bandages. The only thing I could see was her eyes and mouth. Her eyes were moving side to side with fear. 

"Mom?" I called out.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes.

I ran up next to her and started crying. The tears wouldn't stop.

My mom rubbed her hand against my head trying to console me.

"Dara...I need you to listen to me. At home in my dresser there's a jewelry box. Go and find it. Inside there's a note for you from me. Things I wanted to tell you but never did." She said with despair and sadness in her voice.

"Why don't you tell me right now!? Tell me right now" I demanded.

"There's so much to say but my time is running out. Just sit next to me and stay here." I did as she told me. I sat there hearing her heartbeat beat slower and slower.  I didn't stop crying. The tears kept coming and coming. The thought of losing my mom is heartbreaking. I can't bear it. I know I said I don't get along with her but that doesn't mean I don't love her.

When I was younger my mom, dad, and my brother would take me to the park and play me. They would swing me on the swings or ride down the slide with me. I remember that specific day because that was when my mom and dad told me they would always stay by my side. Lies. Those were all lies. This world is filled with lies. My dad left and now my mom is also leaving. Forever. At this point my mom was gasping for air. The doctor said she broke her ribs and some parts of her legs. He also said she damaged one of her lungs. I remember earlier that night she said she was gonna kill herself and I said...Go do it. Why would I say that? It's all my fault.

I tried calling my brother but his phone was off. I wouldn't blame him. It's already 1:40 a.m.

I stayed by my moms side. She was getting real cold and very pale. She didn't talk to me for the rest of the stay.

..............................................................................................

Pure silence was between us.

I saw my mother take one last breath and the machine she was plugged into was beeping nonstop. The doctors quickly came in with a defibrillator. They squirted the clear gel on her chest and tried to revive her. After every shock some of her bandages would come undone and you could see her burnt skin. The doctors failed to revive her. That's it she's dead. Gone forever. No more seeing her face smile in the morning or seeing her drunk late night accusing me of things I didn't do it. None of that anymore...

I filled out these paperworks the doctors wanted me to sign. The doctor that attended my mother asked me a few questions.

"Ms.Park. Are you under 18?"

I nodded. I wasn't really in the mood to have a friendly conversation.

"You know. You're not allowed to live by yourself. Do you have any family members that are 18 or older?"

I nodded once again. "My brother. He's 19."

"You must contact your brother and tell him about the passing of your mother. You also have to ask him if he can live with you. If he refuses we will be forced to take you into a foster home."

I nodded and headed home. Tears weren't running down my face. I guess all my tears have been used up today. I just wanna go home and sleep. That's all I wanna do. I don't wanna see anyone or talk to anyone.

As I got home I lay down on my bed. Thinking. Thinking of how different it's going to be around this house.

At home in my dresser there's a jewelry box. Go and find it. Inside there's a note for you from me. Things I wanted to tell you but never did.

I just remembered! In her dresser!

I sprint across the house into my moms' room and quickly go threw her drawers.

I find it. The jewelry box. It had little blue stones engraved in it and the box was wood. As I open it I see the note.

TO: Dara, my lovely daughter

FROM: Your horrible mother

Dara. I have done some bad things in life. That affected your childhood. I was not the best mother a child could have. I have crushed your dreams nonstop since the day you were born. Forgive me. I apologize for everything I have done. Here is my will. The paper you have in your hand is my will. I give you everything I have. The house, the money, the T.V. everything. Now don't be sad. Don't cry. You will have good memories from now on. I lived a good life. I did everything as much as I wanted to and everything that I could that's enough for me. The best part is I spent it with you. One last thing I want to say is never give up on your dreams. Your dream about opening a cafe. Do it. You can't give up. I'm sure that dream will come true. Use the money I gave you. Use all of it if you have too. You're an amazing cook. I told you all those horrible things because I was trying to make you work harder but I guess that didn't work did it? I'm sorry.  Now go and live your life. I love you Sandara.

 

....... I guess I didn't use up all my tears.