Lovely Illness

Hidden Lies

''I would like to introduce to the class a new student that will now be part of our prestigious school. Her name is Kim Ji Hyun, be kind to her.''

 

You bowed to the class as they also did to greet you. The atmosphere felt different from the one in those schools you’ve attended in London. Students seemed to be glaring at you with thousand of unspoken words behind their glance. You did your best to stretch a smile.

 

As the students were sitting back down, you started to walk to the end of the classroom to find yourself a seat where no one would burn you with stares. At last, your eyes spotted Daehyun whom eyes were obviously stuck to your face as his mischievous smirk almost made you roll your eyes. Despite the little awkwardness that grew in you, your steps headed to the busan boy that could not be ignored. However, as you were at only five feet away from his desk, someone abruptly grabbed your wrist and pulled you to an empty desk beside. Surprised, you gave a glance at that student that had treated you informally.

 

''My name’s Jang Hae Byeol, I hope we can be friends.'' she smiled.

 

You smiled back but quickly turned to give a peek at Daehyun who looked away, obviously disappointed that you got stolen by someone else. Your mind evilly giggled at his cute behavior while you drove back your attention to your classmate.

 

''I hope we will.'' you replied.

 

She smirked and looked back at where you were glaring.

 

''Jung Daehyun huh…always so clingy to you..''

 

You looked at her, a little confused.

 

''How do you know..?''

 

For a moment, no words came to Byeol’s lips as she bit her lower one and looked up front. Being fast minded, you started to doubt on something but quickly, she interrupted your anxious thoughts.

 

''I don’t know,'' she rested her head on her palm ''he just seem to like you lots.''

 

-------

 

''See you tomorrow teacher!''

 

You stretched your arms after two hours of non-stop writing and pulled off the glasses that were decorating your studious face. It was now recess and the class started to get empty from students. You let yourself slide a bit on your chair from exhaustion and ran your fingers through your hair.

 

''Not used?'' you heard Byeol ask you, amused.

 

You sat up straight and shook your head.

 

''There’s such a big difference between school in Korea and school in London.''

 

She chuckled.

 

''Haven’t you been studying here before?''

 

You thought for some seconds and poofed your cheeks.

 

''I think I did, but…I don’t remember..''

 

Hae Byeol nodded twice, showing comprehension, as you felt someone glaring at you from the entrance of the room. Slyly, your eyes gave a glance in that direction to learn about the identity of that mysterious stalker. At the classroom’s door, a tall boy was peeking in, hiding half of his face as he was biting the fabric of the scarf he had around his neck. The students passing next to him gave the boy an apologetic look but didn’t dare speak a word. Despite the fact that he had noticed your glance on him, he didn’t move an inch and kept on staring at you with an unreadable pale face. As if he was waiting for something.

Feeling slightly embarrassed, you looked away, uncomfortable.

 

''What’s wrong?'' you heard Byeol ask.

 

''That boy at the door…Who is he?''

 

You saw her bent to take a slight look.

 

''Oh, that's the Junhong kid… He’s quite weird, don't mind him too much.''

 

You frowned.

 

''How come?'' 

 

''Well…'' she scratched the back of her head ''He’s always alone and doesn’t want to speak with no one. I think he’s got some kind of sickness, that’s why he misses school days from time to time..''

 

You lowered your eyes and felt a chill run down your spine. Even though you’ve known a lot of sad people before, never have you seen such gloomy pair of eyes that could pull your heart without you knowing why. It felt odd.

 

''Yah! Jihyun-ah!'' you heard someone call.

 

Instinctively, you turned your head and received a peck on the cheek in the process. Quickly, your feet pushed on the floor to back up your chair, surprised by his sudden move.

Busan Wonbin grinned at your shocked self.

 

''Hey don’t act like that!'' you tried to look mad.

 

He chuckled.

 

''Let me visit your home after school.'' he demanded.

 

You took a second to think and played with the corner of your book’s page.

 

''Actually…Someone’s waiting for me at home.''

 

-----

 

As you stepped outside, a warm breeze made your hazel curls dance through the air, causing you to slightly lower your head. At 5p.m, the sky was already starting to turn pink and a little chilly. Hands keeping your bag’s straps on your shoulders, you continued your way down the stairs, confidently looking up front.

 

''Poor baby…''

 

''Do you think he’s ok? Should we go see?''

 

''It won’t change much.. He doesn’t want to talk to anyone..''

 

Girls’ whispers trailed to your ears and grabbed your full attention. Your steps stood still and let your head turn to seek any hint of what was happening. The only thing you could see was those three gossiping girls looking behind them from time to time. Without looking like you were listening to their conversation, you walked to the place where they seemed to be glaring at while the girls walked further.

Since you never had the chance nor the time to wander around school, you felt kind of lost and didn’t really know where you were going. Until sobbing sounds attracted your attention.

 

''Hey what’s wrong?'' you found someone curled into a ball.

 

You were at a meter away from the sobbing kid, slowly getting near and being really careful because of what happened the night before when you’ve met Himchan. By looking really closely, that kid miserably crying on the hard ground against a wall looked like the one that was stalking you few hours ago in front of your classroom. Somehow, you felt your stomach twisting at the view of his hot tears.

Hearing your words, his head rose and let his watery eyes pitifully look a you.

 

''Jihyun unnie..'' he spoke with a cracking voice.

 

You couldn’t fell less bad at the moment and bent down to face him, not knowing what to do.

 

''Y-yes, what’s wrong?'' you glared at him with the biggest care in the world.

 

His tears couldn’t stop rolling down his face while he closed his eyes harder to let them fall. You started to panic.

 

''If you keep crying, people might think I’m bullying some kid.'' you tried to stop his sorrow.

 

He kept on sobbing and breath faster, uncontrollably. Some people around threw dirty looks in your direction as you tried to ignore them.

 

''Junhong…please?'' you gently patted the side of his head.

 

Suddenly, the boy burst into even more tears and sadness, leaving you nervously speechless. Students around you were now directly looking at you as if you were fool.

Forgetting about the world, you sat down next to him against the school’s brick wall and waited until he’d calm down.

(…)

After a while, his head turned a little to face you, still biting his scarf. You could notice his red eyes and tears that dried on his cheeks. Simply adorable.

 

''Are you feeling better?'' you lightly smiled.

 

Junhong glared at you as you could notice he was trying not to grin back. With no harm in your move, you brushed your thumb under his eyes to wipe away tears that were still making their way down and chuckled in embarrassment.

 

''It’s weird when you call me Junhong…You used to call me Zelo.''

 

Something hit your heart after his words. He was someone you knew.

 

''Zelo…Why Zelo?'' you found this nickname odd.

 

With the cuteness of a child, he smiled and raised his elbows. You looked at him, curious but didn’t say anything. For a moment, none of you spoke a word, maybe thinking about something through the silence. It was weird for you to know that he knew you. Even though you’d never show it, any subject that would bring you back the memory of the accident that occured years ago would always burn something inside you. Every details of that loss were the only reason you’d wake up every morning and feel empty. Like if you weren’t suppose to be the person you were.

That kid who was sitting next to you, the one who just cried a river without shame, might look plain and miserable to others but he had something within him that was more than precious to you. He had part of your memory.

 

Not too suddenly, you let your head fall on his high shoulder. A little surprised, Zelo somewhat turned his head.

 

''I’m sorry for having forgotten about you Zelo.'' you nearly whispered.

 

Innocent, he childishly took your hand and lightly smiled, showing forgiveness. You squeezed his palm despite feelings of awkwardness and for the first time, your heart was starting to accept the emptiness of the past.

_________________________

I know you can't wait for this v

(Couldn't find a gif with all of the members in the teaser, sorry ;;)

Thanks for commenting, reading and loving  

SweetPotatoPie