Chapter 3

A Promise To Keep

On Saturday, Too went to pick up Michiko(for their date). Too left early after breakfast.
“Bye Mom.” Too said, after kissing his mom on the cheek.
“Where are you going so early?” his mom, Hana, asked with a curious expression.
“Uh….I’m going to out with Michiko today.” Too said. ‘Oh . My mom is going to get to conclusions.’ Too thought.
“Oh ok. Well, don’t bring her home late, you hear me?” Hana ordered him.
“Fine. We won’t be going out late anyways.” Too said, before closing the door. He walked slowly up the sidewalk, thinking about Michiko, and without paying attention, he hit’s a pole.
“Ow!!” he said, rubbing his head. Some girls walking by sees him and laughs.
“Is that how you make first impressions?” a voice said, laughing.
“Michiko!” Too said and to his surprise, she was wearing a pink tank top, white capris, and tennis shoes. Also she had her hair down with a pink headband.
“What?” Michiko asked.
“Nothing.” Too replied. “You ready to go?”
“Yea, but you may want to look at that bruise.” Michiko pointed out, trying not to laugh.
“Is it that bad?” Too asked, wincing when Michiko touched it while examining.
“Oh yea. It’s really bad.” she exaggerated.
“If you’re lying, you’re going to get it.” Too said.
“Oh, so now you think I’m lying!? Why don’t you just take a look for yourself!” Michiko led him to a car and pushed him toward the side mirror. “Think I’m lying now?”
Too examines his bruise. It was about 2 inches wide, purple and pink, and very visible since it was right in the middle of his forehead.
“!” Too complained.
“Told you.” Michiko said, crossing her arms.
“What am I suppose to do now….I can’t go anywhere with this.” Too complained.
Michiko gives him a face then takes his arm. They walk for about 10 minutes until they got to a hospital
“You think you can’t go anywhere with that?” Michiko said in an angry tone. “Well look at that kid.” she points to a kid in a wheelchair. “He can’t go anywhere with that either.” but then some kids went up to the kid in the wheelchair and they all went to play. “But if the kid works hard and keeps his hopes up high, he’ll make it.” It made Too smile, but then she grabs his arm again and drags him to another place.
They walked for another 5 minutes and ended up in the park.
“Take a look at that girl in crutches by the bench.” Michiko ordered Too. He turned to where the girl was sitting. “She can’t do anything with that broken leg until it heals up.” Again, Michiko grabs Too and drags him.
‘Gosh! Where does she get all these energy from!?’ Too thought.
It didn’t take long until Michiko stopped and pushed Too onto a bench.
“You think that bruise is going to give you trouble now?” Michiko commanded, standing instead of sitting.
“Uh…yea.” Too joked. Michiko slaps his bruise. “Ow! Ok! Ok!”
“You don’t know how much these kids suffer.” Michiko said, sadly. Too suddenly felt guilty. He never intended to hurt Michiko. “Now, with that bruise, I know that you’ll survive.” And she raises her hand to press his bruise one more time, but Too grabs her hand and pulls her toward him.
“I dare you to press this bruise again.” Too challenged. Without Too noticing, Michiko presses it with her other hand. Then she laughs and tries run, but Too had her other hand, so he pulls her back to him and she lands on his lap. Both of them turn their head and ends up looking into each other’s eyes.
“Michiko…..you know what?” Too said, swallowing.
“What?” Michiko asked.
“I’ve always….” before Too could finish, some kids ran up to them.
“Woah! Look at that bruise!” one of them exclaimed.
Suddenly Michiko quickly gets off Too’s lap.
“Yea! How did you get it!?” another asked.
“Uh…” Too said. Then he looks at Michiko and she looks at him. They made eye contact and both of them looked away. “Um….” then Too points at Michiko. “She did it.”
With surprise, the kids looks at Michiko.
“What!!” Michiko quickly turns back to him. “Too! How can you say that! I did no such….”
“Woah! Can you show us how you did it!” a little boy asked. Then the rest of them started to jump and shouted, “Yeah!! Show us!”
“Well….I’ll show you guys next time ok?” Michiko suggested. Then she turns to Too, while still talking to the kids. “I did this because he was being bad.” and she presses it again (third time).

“Where next?” Too asked.
“I don’t know.” Michiko said. “What time is it?”
Too looks at his watch, “1:50. Not bad for our first date.”
“Don’t play around. I’m going to be late for work.” Michiko said.
“Work? On Saturday?” Too asked.
“Doesn’t matter what days I work on. I just got to go.” Michiko walks away. “I’ll see you later.”