Chapter 2

A Promise To Keep

When the lunch bell rang, they all rushed to the top. What they didn’t expect was other students eating there too. Groups of three to four people were together at different sections of the roof
“Hey!” a voice called.
The girls turned their heads to the right side of the roof and saw Too and his friends, Chou and Eiichi, eating together.
“Hey Michiko! Come join us!” Too invited. The girls walked to where Too and his friends were sitting.
“Hey.” Michiko greeted. “So you guys eat here too?”
“Yeah. Didn’t expect you girls here.”
“We don’t eat here much.”
“Oh~ well, do you guys want to eat with us? There’s plenty of room.”
“Thanks.” Michiko said.
“Hey, Airi. Are you free this Saturday?” Chou asked. For about a month now, Chou has a crush on Airi, even though she doesn’t know. Everyone does though.
“Yeah. Why?” Airi asked.
“Well, do you want to go to the movies? The new action movie is out.” Chou said.
“All ready!?” Airi said, almost dropping her lunch. “Ok. Let’s call it a date then.” At that, Chou became really happy. Airi also liked Chou, but she isn’t aware of it yet.
“What about you guys?” Chou asked. “It’ll be fun with more people.”
“Sorry, but Chiya and I are going shopping that day. My mom wanted her to buy some supplies.” Eiichi said. (Chiya and Eiichi are cousins)
“Oh….” Airi said. “Well, what about you, Michiko?”
“Um….well…..” Michiko stuttered.
“Come on, Michiko. It’ll be fun if you go too.” Chou said, trying to convince Michiko.
“I don’t know….” Michiko said, trying to decided. “I’ll have to see.”
“Aw~!! Don’t try to ruin the day without coming, Michiko!” Aiki complained.
“Come on guys! If Michiko can’t go then she can’t.” Too said. “Anyways, I’m going to be busy on that day too.”
“Not you too!” Airi complained some more. “Then that means that Chou and I get to have the fun all by ourselves.”
Everyone talked and laughed until the bell.

Everyone were dismissed to go home that afternoon. Chiya and Eiichi looked out the window of their classroom. They were watching over their friends, Too and Michiko.
“Michiko!” Too called, while running to her. Michiko turns around and waits for Too. “Are you walking home alone?”
“Uh…yea.” Michiko said.
“Mind if I come along?” Too asked.
“If you want.” Michiko said.
And they both walked together. When they got to a neighborhood, they fell silent. They didn’t know what to say to each other. Then…
“So….what are you doing this Saturday?” Michiko said, breaking the silence.
“Um…nothing actually. Just wanted to give some space to Chou and Airi.” Too said. “What about you?”
“Same here.” Michiko replied.
“Then do you want to go somewhere together?” Too offered.
“What?” Michiko said, in shock. “You mean just the two of us?”
“Yea. Why? Is that a problem?” Too asked.
‘OMG….what am I suppose to do!!?’ Michiko shouted in her thoughts.
‘Did I just asked her out?’ Too asked himself.
“Um…no.” Michiko replied.
They both finally arrives to Michiko’s neighborhood.
“Hey….this neighborhood hasn’t changed at all.” Too said, in amazement.
“You know this neighborhood?” Michiko asked.
“Yea. I used to live here when I was little. I also used to play with this little girl. I forgot her name though….” he said.
“Really?” Michiko said.
“Yea. She was quite cute too. I wonder how she is now?” Too said, putting some thoughts into it.
Then they finally reach Michiko’s house.
“This is where I lived.” Michiko announced.
“Nice.” Too said, examining the house. “Well, I guess I’ll be leaving then.”
“All ready? Don’t you want to come in first?” Michiko asked.
“Actually…” before Too could reply, the front door of Michiko’s house opened.
“Michiko!” Michiko’s mother said. “We have a special guest today!” and out came a woman about Michiko’s mother’s age and height.
“Mom!?” Too said.
“Too!” the woman said. She walked to Too and dragged him into Michiko’s yard. “Do you remember the girl that you used to play with before we left for America?”
“Yea, but what does she have to do with this?” Too asked, in confusion.
“Well, this is her mother, Hamasaki Fusako..” Too’s mother introduced. Then she turns to Michiko. “And you must be Michiko! Oh, how big you have grown!”
“Uh…Hello.” Michiko greeted. Then she walks over to her mother. “Mom, this is…”
“I know, dear. This is Kazumi Too. He was your playmate when you were young.” her mother said. “And this is his mother, Kazumi Hana. His father is Kazumi Gorou.”
Too and Michiko looks at each other. “We were playmates!?”
Both mothers nodded, then Michiko’s mother says, “Well, we need to go back in to catch up in our talk. You two can stay here or come inside if you like.” then they both left.
“I can’t believe it.” Michiko said.
“Well….believe it then….since you still have to live up to your promise.” Too pointed out.
“What promise?”

“You seriously don’t remember?” Too exclaimed. “If I remembered you and when I come back, you would play with me again.”
Michiko stood there, eyes opened wide. “That’s the promise!?”
“Hell yea it is. Better believe it or I’ll make you.” Too said, stepping closer to Michiko. Michiko didn’t know what he was doing, but she knew that he was getting kind of close.
Then…
“Michiko!!” Michiko’s mother called.
‘Phew. Just in time.’ Michiko thought. “Coming!” then she runs inside.