KIM JONG WOON

Teach me how to smile

 

Yesung sat on his bed in the ICU watching as Nurse Sora gave him his daily shot. Yesung had to get two daily shots due to his heart failure. He was used to getting a needle in his heart. It’s been going on since he was 10. Nurse Sora gave Yesung a peanut butter sandwich and orange juice.

“Here sweetie.” Sora said. She made sure Yesung was nice and comfy. “Are you comfy?”

“I guess so.” Yesung said eating the sandwich. “Umma?”

“Yes dear?” Sora asked.

“Do you think one day you and appa can take me to the mall? Or at least out to eat?” Yesung asked. “Hospital food is so plain and so is school food and that’s all I eat.”

“Of course honey. One day.” Sora told him. “We can’t this weekend because I have to work.”

“So we can’t go out somewhere but I can go to school every week day.” Yesung complained. “This is stupid!”

“Honey you don’t even go full weeks.” Sora said. “I don’t want to risk you having heart problems.”

“I never have them in school!” Yesung yelled. Yesung sighed crossing his arms. “I just want to have some fun before I die.”

“You’re not going to die.” Sora said.

“Yes I am.” Yesung said. “I’m not going to live forever. I’ll be lucky to live past high school. If I do die after high school then why did you guys even bother sending me?”

“Because we’re going to do our best and make sure you live a full life. You need to make some friends and I’ll let you go to the mall with them as long as you’re in good condition.” Sora grabbed Yesung’s hand. “I promise.”

“Do you know what happened to my real father?” Yesung asked.

“No, I don’t.” Sora attached an IV drip to Yesung. “There you go sweetie. We need to get you as much nourishment as possible.”

“Okay umma.” Yesung sighed. “Can you lay me on my back?”

“Sure thing.” Sora positioned Yesung so he’s comfortable on his back. “I have to go now. I didn’t get the night shift but Leeteuk did so he’ll be here in a few.” She kissed Yesung’s forehead. “Sweet dreams.”

“Same to you umma.” Yesung closed his eyes. He knew how to toss and turn freely without disconnecting any of the tubes connected to him. He soon heard Dr. Jung su walk to him. “Hi.”

“How are you doing Yesung?” Leeteuk asked.

“Same old. I’ve been living in the hospital my whole life and all I want is to know what it feels like to go to a mall or eat at a fast food restaurant.”

“We’d love to but your heart problems are holding us back.” Leeteuk said.

“I know. I know.” Yesung said.

“I got you something.” Leeteuk smiled.

“What is it?” Yesung asked watching Leeteuk pull a small bag out of his pocket.

“Here you go. I know you wanted to taste some outside food and I went to food market and got this. Leeteuk handed Yesung a small candy bar.

“Thank you!” Yesung smiled unwrapping the candy bar. He took a bite of it and gaged. “Oh my.” He looked at the candy. “What’s this?”

“Gummy worms.” Leeteuk said. “Don’t like them huh?”

“Not really.” Yesung said. “But thank you for making me feel better.”

“I’ve got something else just in case you didn’t like the gummy worms.” Leeteuk said handing Yesung another candy bar.

“Thanks.” Yesung took a bite from that candy bar. “I like this one a lot better.” Yesung read the title. “Milky way. They’re good, Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” Leeteuk pat Yesung’s shoulder. “Now rest you have to go to school tomorrow.”

“Can’t I stay home?” Yesung asked. “I mean in the hospital. Well the hospital is my home.”

“No Yesung you’ve missed enough days.” Leeteuk said. “It’s time you go back to school. You can finally make some friends or at least a friend so you have someone to visit you here on the weekend.”

“No!” Yesung yelled. “I don’t want any friends.”

“Well you can’t be all lonely plus me and Sora plan on taking a day off soon.” Leeteuk said.

“But I need you guys.” Yesung said.

“We know Yesung we know.” Leeteuk unconnected Yesung’s IV. “You’ll be okay without this right?”

“Yeah. I’ve slept without it before I’ll do it again.” Yesung sighed.

“Now why don’t you want friends? You’re a sweet boy plus you’re going to be old enough to get married and have kids of your own soon.” Leeteuk said.

“I highly doubt that. Plus I don’t want anyone knowing I live here.” Yesung said rolling over to sleep. “I just don’t want any of that.”

“Yesung you will soon. You’ll meet someone who wants to be your friend and they’ll try and try no matter how many times you push them away. That’ll be your true friend.” Leeteuk said. “Rest now son and I’ll get you something good for dinner tomorrow night.” Leeteuk left to check on his other patients.

Yesung tried falling asleep wondering what tomorrow’s surprise dinner is. Yesung didn’t want to go to school, he hated it there. He highly doubted he was going to live long enough to complete high school. Yesung fell sleep hoping tomorrow he’d pass out and get to stay “home”.