Thoughts Could Kill

Luminous

 

They all tried to contain their laughter on the dinner table, but eventually, failed. I smiled and stared at Kevin beside me who was smiling ridiculously. He’s so happy to be back, isn’t he? I’m so happy. Kevin turned and gave a bright smile. You’re still listening to me… aren’t you? He nodded and chuckled. I rolled my eyes and proceeded to eat the rest of my food.

“You two are so cute!” The youngest of 7 giggled. I blushed at Dongho’s comment and smiled. But, I knew. Someone was staring at me weirdly. I stared at Eli in the corner of my eye and noticed him avoid any contact with Kevin and I. He’s still hurt, isn’t he? All of UKISS talked about different memories that brought lots of laughter to the table. I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel awkward at all. Dongho got up and picked up the dishes. Out of courtesy, I offered to help him out.

“Yeah, thanks, noona!” Dongho smiled. I stared at him in shock and pressed the palm of my hand on my chest.

“Noona?” I asked. “Dongho-ah. We’re the same age.” Dongho stared back in shock and blushed ferociously. The maknae nodded and grinned brightly.

“Awesome!” He exclaimed.

We walked to the kitchen and placed the dishes back in the sink. Laughter and sudden joyous yelling came from the other room. They’re like kids, it’s hilarious. I watched Dongho slip on some rubber gloves, but I stopped him from doing so. “Let me wash the dishes, Dongho-ah.” He hesitated but he did not refuse. I knew he wanted to spend as much time with Kevin. It’s been a while. Dongho smiled and ran back to the other room. Haha. I slipped on the yellow rubber gloves and proceeded to clean the dirty plates. So… this is UKISS’s dorm, huh? While watching the dishes, I scanned the kitchen and smiled. Cream plain painted walls, mahogany cupboards… It’s really pretty. I smiled and proceeded to the glass cups.

“He made you wash the dishes? Wow.”

I shifted my gaze and stared at Eli who was now leaning against the fridge. I smiled awkwardly and shook my head; “No. I offered to wash the dishes, Eli.” I kept my gaze on the glass cups and tried to ignore his presence. I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel awkward around Eli. I really do. I still feel horrible… Eli took a few steps and leaned against the counter beside me. He watched me clean the dishes.

“Shouldn’t you hang out with the others? I mean, it’s the first time Kevin came back after a long time.” I stuttered while drying the dishes now. I felt his hand envelope mine as he took away the towel and wet glass cup. I stared at him and backed away by a few steps.

“You shouldn’t be the one doing the chores. You’re the guest.” He muttered. He’s still hurt, isn’t he? Maybe… Maybe I should talk to him about i—

“______.”

I turned around and watched Kevin approach me slowly with meaningful eyes. I nodded and tilted my head in question.

“You don’t have to.” He growled. He read my mind again. Didn’t he?

“Kevin Woo. Didn’t I tell you to STOP… reading my mind?” I whispered the last three words. Kevin rolled his eyes and grabbed Eli’s wrist. “K-Kevin. What are you—“

“Will you stop, Eli?” Kevin muttered. Eli pulled his wrist away roughly and slammed the glass cup on the counter. He turned around and glared towards Kevin. Kevin. Stop. Of course, he ignored my warning. Eli chuckled and glared at me.

“Stop, what?” Eli gritted his teeth aggressively. Eli suddenly grabbed Kevin’s collar and pulled him closer. Their faces glared back at each other with such hate. S-s-s-…

“STOP!” I yelled. I push Eli’s arm away and stood in front of my boyfriend. Eli glared towards me and chuckled. Suddenly, all 5 of the rest of the members came running into the kitchen. They all stood at the hallway and felt the rising tension between Kevin and Eli. “Please… stop.” I looked at the ground and felt Kevin’s arms wrap my waist. Angry, I pushed Kevin’s hands away. You shouldn’t have been so aggressive, Kevin-ah. You started all of this. I heard Kevin sigh in defeat and watched Eli leave the room.

“W…what happened?” Soohyun asked in shock. Kevin turned around with a fake smile and tried to avert the whole thing into a different situation, not risking revealing any Starlite stories. “Are you alright?” I heard Soohyun ask me. I nodded and smiled shyly.

“I think.. I better bring my princess home. She’s exhausted after all this and the dishes.” Kevin glared at Dongho, making Dongho smile apologetically. I punched Kevin’s arm playfully and told him I was the one who offered. Stop bullying the poor thing. Kevin stared back without emotion and turned back to his hyung. “I’ll see you tomorrow or something, hyung.” Soohyun nodded. All of the members turned towards me and smiled warmly.

“It’s nice meeting you all!” I smiled. They all grinned brightly and told Kevin to bring me more often. I blushed and nodded. Dongho came over before I left to apologize. “No need to, Dongho-ah.” Dongho smiled and closed the door as Kevin and I left the dorm.

***

Kevin drove down a busy highway, only catching in heavy traffic. Why is there so much traffic? I stared at my watch: 12:08am. What the heck? Why? I want to go home so bad…I stared at the shimmering lights in the night sky.

“There’s an accident up ahead just to answer your question.” Kevin answered my thoughts. I rolled my eyes and leaned my head against the window.

“Could you not read my thoughts, Kevin?” I gritted my teeth. I closed my eyes and wished to just fall asleep. If I sleep now, maybe it’ll go faster. I felt the cold surface of the window on my right temple and tried to mute out all the honks and noises coming from the outside of the car. “By the way, you didn’t have to be so aggressive with Eli. It’s already awkward as it is. You didn’t need to escalate the whole situation into violence.” I growled grumpily.

“Well, you didn’t need to feel as if you owe him an explanation. You’re mine now and he’ll just have to accept it.” He responded, trying to be as calm as he could.

“Yeah bu—“ I paused and tried to think of what else I could say. “Don’t you think what I did was a ... ‘’ move. Moving on so quickly.” I explained.

“So, you regret going out with me?” Kevin asked sarcastically. He leaned his head over to the side and stared at me unamusingly. I rolled my eyes and told him that wasn’t what I meant. “Then what the hell do you mean, ___?” Kevin snapped. I cringed to his loud voice and snickered.

“What I mean is don’t you think I should apologize? For putting him through so much crap and only earning a broken heart in the end?”  I tried to explain calmly. Kevin rolled his eyes and placed his car in park since the traffic was absolutely getting us nowhere. Kevin unbuckled his belt and sat, facing the side of my face.

“My answer: no.” He muttered. He poked my cheek and chuckled. I looked at him unamusingly and snapped: “Why?”

“Because. You don’t owe him anything. You’re mine now. You’re my girl. If he was a good being, he would leave you alone to me.” Kevin explained. I rolled my eyes. You’re a hypocrite then. He raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean, ____?”

“When I was dating Eli, you were all over me.” I emphasized ‘all over’ and heard Kevin laugh out loud. “It’s true. Don’t deny it.”

“It was more like I was all over Hyuna at first.” Kevin joked. I froze at her name and glared at him. Stupid joke, you made there. “Oh come on. It’s just a joke.” Correction. STUPID joke. “Hey.” He poked my arm but I pulled away.

“Just drive.” I muttered. I stared at the clear road and Kevin sighed in defeat.

                                                                      ***

I laid onto the bed and closed the light before Kevin could even enter. Sigh. Would that count as our first fight? Was that a fight? I ruffled my own face onto the pillow and sighed in exhaustion. I covered my whole body with the duvet cover and stayed face-first against my pillow. Suddenly, I felt two hands squeeze my shoulders. I squealed in fright and kicked the dark figure.

“Oof.” I heard Kevin wince. I apologized and covered my chest with the blanket. I felt Kevin lay down slowly on the other half of the bed and heard him sigh. “I didn’t mean to go all aggressive, ____. I just… I don’t think you need to say anything, that’s all.” I sighed and lay down beside him as we both stared at the dark ceiling. “I mean… Things happen; I don’t think you should feel guilty. It’s the past. And, you’re mine now. Only mine. So, please. Don’t give Eli the chance or assumption that you still have feelings for him.” He mumbled tiredly.

“I just… I just feel bad. But I know where you’re coming from.” I replied in defeat. “But it’s true that you shouldn’t have grabbed him like that. AND. Mention Hyuna. All over again. Thanks.”

“I know. I’m sorry… I had to… His thoughts… I. And as for Hyuna, you know my heart was for you the whole time. Come on.” I rolled my eyes at his corny reply.

“His thoughts?” I asked in curiosity. “What was he thinking?”

“He was planning on hitting on you and… then he just decided to speak his mind off about how you left him for me… He… He wanted to kiss you.” I froze at Kevin’s words and didn’t know how to reply. “He still likes you , ______. A lot. I could tell. Once we entered the dorm, I already knew how Eli felt.”

“You read his mind?” I mumbled grumpily. I felt him shrug and sigh sadly. I rolled my eyes and suddenly, dug my head in his chest. “You don’t have to worry about anybody snatching me away from you. I’m always yours.” I smiled. I felt a happy grin form on Kevin’s face. His hand my hair softly.

“Thanks, babe. That means a lot. Go sleep. It’s already 2:34 am.” He smiled warmly.

I felt a sudden chill in the air. I looked at the window and a dark figure passed through the light. I jumped in shock and scanned the window.  “____! What’s the matter?” I looked back at the shocked Kevin and I just shook my head. I placed my head back onto his chest.

“Nothing… It’s probably just the wind.” I lied. Kevin raised an eyebrow and my hair once again. Don’t worry, Kevin. It’s nothing. You’re here. That’s all that matters.

Just the wind…