Better offers

Blazing Ring

I grabbed my bag and ran quickly down the stairs.

I wanted to get home as fast as possible. It was already six o’clock, and I had just ended ballet training.

“Gui Gui!” someone shouted behind me. I turned impatiently around.

Alien came running towards me. He had probably just finished his late art class.

He caught up on me, and I started walking fast again.

“What now?” I asked irritated. It was his fault that I was late for ballet practice earlier, so I had to stay longer. Which I had too much homework to allow myself.

“Are you angry?”

“No,” I lied. I kept looking straight forward while we walked towards the school gate.

“I’m sorry about Show. He just gets overstrung sometimes, but normally he’s really friendl…”

“I wouldn’t describe it as “friendly” to pour a bottle of water down from the stairs, so it hits a random girl walking by.” Some of my hair was still wet, and I could feel the anger fill my body again.

Alien sighed.

“Look, he doesn’t mean any harm. When he’s not in that mood, he’s one of the best friends I’ve ever had. You should get to know him better. Your parents would be sad to know that you’re mad at their best friends’ son.”

“I’m not mad at him.”

“Then why…?”

“I’m mad at you.” I stopped and turned to face him. His gaze flickered around in nervousness while he waited for me to continue.

“You knew it would hit me. You could have warned me, but you just stood there and laughed with him.” I stared him right in the eyes. He tried to avoid my look.

“But… I didn’t mean to…” He didn’t seem able to find the right words, and scratched his neck instead.

“…I’m sorry,” he finally stammered. I stared him down for another few seconds before I sighed, “Never mind.” I didn’t have the energy to be mad at him anymore.

I walked through the school gate with Alien following me.

Right when I walked out, my eyes caught something. Someone.

When the person looked back at me, I immediately blushed and dragged Alien away.

“Hey! Why so busy?” Alien mumbled when we were about ten meters from the group of guys standing at the front gate.

I anxiously looked back to see if HE still was watching me. He had turned back to his friends and continued talking.

“Phew,” I sighed, when Alien and I were on a safe distance from the group at the gate.

“What are you ‘phew’-ing for?” Alien asked me.

“Didn’t you see him? Aaron Yan?” I asked.

“Who?”

“Please, you were with me when it happened!”

 

With fear, I remembered a day in our college’s cafeteria, where Aaron and his gang had been sitting next to the table where my friends and I were sitting.

Aaron had walked over to ask if he could borrow a pencil. I had blushed and kept quiet, not able to speak a word. I had secretly liked him since I started in college, but little did he know that. Neither did my friends.

They had actually been really mean to him. Except for Genie, who was the only one to know my secret.

Well, maybe Aaron was a different… type. The street thug-kind. Not that he was criminal, at least not what I knew of, but he was the type to lead a “wilder” life, in contrast to my friends and I, who were the neater, classier type of girls – and guys.

Aaron had coldly listened to their rude comments, before he naturally had turned to me, ‘cause Genie and I were the only ones who hadn’t scolded him. I had shaking handed him one of my pencils, but left the cafeteria before I got it back.

Since that day, I had tried to avoid him even more than before.

 

“When what happened?” Alien made me return from my painful memories.

“That thing… In the cafeteria,” I said.

“Oh, that!” He looked back at Aaron and his gang and laughed.

“What’s so funny?” I asked. If Alien had had just the least amount of feeling for the situation, he’d have shut up and stopped laughing after hearing the angriness in my voice.

“What’s not? I mean, he’s one of… THOSE guys. You don’t have to bother with his type…”

“And why not?” I was getting a bit insecure, but still tried to sound angry.

We were now near my home. I lived in a mansion with my mom, dad and dog. As an only child, I had been spoiled my whole life. But in difference to some of my friends, I didn’t let it get to me.

“You know, he’s… Nobody really knows how his family got their fortune, and he’s going to be just the same.”

I stopped again and stared harshly at him. But this time, it didn’t make him nervous.

“Please, Gui Gui. He isn’t your type. You’re too good for him.”

I looked down. Why was everyone against Aaron? Because of his clothes? His friends? His family?

No matter what it was, I couldn’t understand why.

Even though everyone knew him as the ‘bad guy’ of the school, I didn’t see it as a flaw. Only something that restrained me from – no, strike that – that made it impossible for me to get close to him.

“Why? I don’t see how I’m so much better than him,” I complained.

“Dear, adorable Gui Gui,” Alien said and hugged me. To my surprise.

“Do you know what makes you better? You don’t have a mean thought in you. You can’t be mad for more than five minutes, and you only want peace amongst all people – truly. You’re not fake. Don’t you know how few of your kind that exist?”

He hugged me tighter. I didn’t know if I should hug back, and I didn’t think I quite matched that description. It felt so weird – he had never hugged me like this before.

The other weird thing was that he clearly also thought himself and my other friends as better, but I thought of Genie as the only person to be described like that. But I guess it wasn’t their fault, and they were still my best friends. And they also clearly saw themselves as better.

When Alien finally let go of me, I didn’t know in what direction to look.

He laid both his hands on my shoulders.

“You heard that, sweetheart? Don’t bother with him and his type. You have much better offers.” The glint in his eyes seemed to be hinting something, but I decided to ignore it and stepped back.

“I’m in a bit of a hurry. See you tomorrow,” I quietly said, and walked away alone.

 

I had finally finished my homework. And I was still troubled.

I knew I hadn’t done my best for my essay, but my brain was occupied by other thoughts.

My big, light room had recently been painted. The furniture was themed light green and pink, and had a relaxing effect. Just not now.

I was thinking about Alien’s words; “You’re too good for him. You have much better offers.”

Why was I better?

He had also answered that, but the description was too good for me. No one could possibly be so perfect, even though I wished there was.

Who were my better offers?

Alien himself?

His eyes had hinted it. My parents probably wanted me married to a guy like him.

And soon. They had been talking about my marriage ever since I turned 18. They always talked about Alien and several other guys of his type like “well-behaved, classy and suitable young men”.

It was soon starting to piss me off, as it made me stressed and confused.

 

I sighed and rolled my office chair away from the window, when I realized it was stuck beneath the radiator. I stood up and tried to pull it free, but was obviously too forceful, ‘cause I heard something fall down behind the radiator with a clinking sound.

I then carefully eased it free and bowed down to see if I had broken something.

It fortunately wasn’t a nut as I had thought. It was a ring. But a very black, dirty and dusty ring.

I wondered how it had been placed behind my radiator, and went out to wash it.

After getting the dust and dirt off, I could catch a glimpse of some silver shining beneath the black, a sudden thought hit me, and I started polishing it with toothpaste.

I had been right – it was silver.

I kept polishing till it was all clean. It had some weird, but beautiful inscriptions and decorations.

I went to ask my parents if it was theirs, but it wasn’t. They told me that the previous owners of the house could have lost it, and that I could keep it if I wanted.

Still speculating, I tried to put it on when I came back to my room. It fitted like it was designed for me. I could also easily take it off, but I decided to keep it on my ring finger, because I really liked it.

 

***

Well, this was the first chapter :)

I hope you liked it, even though it was pretty… boring.

But it kinda introduced the story :b

Anyways :X

Please please please leave a comment, it makes me SO happy :3

- Blitz