Remember

Baby, Don't Cry Tonight

I'd trade my soul for a wish, Tao had bravely thought. Luhan had quickly answered. Tao had hesitantly signed and sealed the deal.

--

Kris stared vacantly across the street, the book sitting on his lap long forgotten. He noted with a hazy thought that there were moving trucks driving toward the empty house across the street and then stopping. People appeared to be getting down and started carrying heavy-looking boxes into the house. There were many boxes, and many people and trucks to carry them. The family must be rich, Kris absentmindedly decided. Maybe he’ll be introduced to them in his father’s next party. Kris slowly smiled. Party, huh. Life seemed to continue on like usual, no one seemed to pause the time to allow Kris to just slowly sort everything out. No, instead here he was again, in his library. But no matter where his body was, he knew his mind lay somewhere else. His marriage to Yixing would be soon. He still didn’t meet her yet, and truly, he didn’t want to. She was undoubtedly going to be like her father, arrogant and conceited. Besides, Tao had already struck his heart in ways that he doubted another person ever could. But what did it matter, he was never going to see Tao again. Kris sighed, crushed by the truth of his thoughts. Yixing and the connection to Zhang’s would further his father’s business, it would be good for everyone else. Kris had been raised knowing he would just be the pawn of a bigger plan, and he supposed that was his duty that should be carried out. Knowing Tao will always be a treasured moment in his life, but, Kris realized, his life was never meant to be filled with happiness like those in the books he read. He had to accept everything that life threw at him, and perhaps, one day life will feel compassionate and reward him with a bit of happiness, just a little, just one small glance of Tao… Kris exhaled and closed his eyes.

Luhan appeared that moment beside the door and dashed in silently. Creating a gentle gust of wind, he sent it swirling around Kris. At that, he smiled, clapped once, and disappeared, anticipating the events to follow.

“Sir! Master wants you to be dressed right away in your best clothes,” Kris’s father’s servant rushed in, out of breath and wheezing.

“What’s the big hurry?” Kris slowly opened his eyes and turned around to look at the man, mind not completely focused on the present.

"Miss Yixing, your fiance, is coming to visit in a few minutes. Apparently her father is visiting a location close to here, so she will be dropped off here for awhile to become aquainted with the household. Her arrival was unexpected and the servants are currently scrambling to clean," the servant hastily replied before dashing out, probably to help the servants with tidying.

For not the last time, Kris sighed as he got up to examine his closet. His clothes were all pretty high-end, so he ended up tossing together an outfit that appeared runway worthy even without trying to hard. With a bored expression, Kris headed down the stairs and was met with a sight.

A young lady with slightly wavy black hair was dancing. She was fluid, each twirl melted straight into a jump, her hair settling back into place after every landing. Her dark brown eyes were rimmed with dark lashes, giving her an innocent face.

Kris was taken aback. He felt like he had seen this girl somewhere, these moves, the elegance, he was enchanted. His mind raced. There was a faint memory of a dance on a stage, a stage, a ... stage. Kris looked back down at the delicate creature dancing in front of him, shoes lightly tapping the stone-cold floor. Why, she must have been the person who had captured his heart that day at the fair! Yixing, he recalled, before clearing his throat and interrupting the dance and the crowd of people watching her.

"My son, you finally arrived! Miss Yixing here graced us with her presence a few minutes ago, and in her boredom, she showed us some of her dance moves; she even brought her ballet shoes with her! Isn't she a darling?" Mr. Wu flashed a grin.

"Nice meeting you again, Kris," Yixing glided over effortlessly, a shy smile on her face, "I hope you still remember me from the fair?"

"How could I not?" Kris breathes, "You were amazing."

During this exchange, Mr. Wu had quietly signaled for the servants to leave the room, which left Kris and Yixing alone. Kris looked up suddenly to see the area vacant and quiet. Suddenly nervous, he motions to Yixing to take a couch opposite from the one he would be sitting at. And thus began their chatter, from commentary on minute details of Kris's home to their favorite activities. They happily talked and joked around for hours, until Mr. Zhang arrived to pick up Yixing.

When Yixing stood up to leave, Kris grabbed her hand, "I forgot to do this when I first met you," and kissed her hand gently, whispering, "Enchanté."

With a glowing blush, Yixing nodded slightly and dashed out through the door opened by a servant. Kris smiled and was still smiling when the servant who had gone up to his room earlier ran up to him.

“We are to meet the new owner of the house across the street now," he said, "Now that Yixing has left, Master has decided for the two of you to visit the new neighbor. Something about getting connections early, you know how Master is."

“Okay, I’ll be at the front door soon, thank you,” Kris shook his head from his thoughts about Yixing, it was just like his dad to meet the new neighbor right away, and he had to look alert.

~

“My sources told me that the movers addressed the man as a Mr. Huang, and he is apparently some young millionaire, rich after discovering some precious stones and is now running many international jewelry stores,” Mr. Wu excitedly reported to his son, “Think of all the money we could make by showing ourselves as courteous and then latching on to him!”

Kris shrugged, already uninterested. Once again, his dad had plans about achieving more financial gain. Kris was bored of it all already, but he had to act the respectable son and give his father some face.

They reached the gate to Mr. Huang's mansion, already empty of the moving vans from earlier. That was good, Kris decided, since the house would be relatively furnished inside now, and while his father rambled about business partnerships, Kris could sit back on a couch.

The doorbell was similar to the one of Kris's house, with a camera that showed the visitor and a microphone on the side. Mr. Wu confidently pressed the doorbell, and a few seconds later, the screen flickered on, showing Mr. Wu and Kris. They introduce themselves when prompted, and with a crisp click, the gate unlocked and smoothly slid open. A servant ran out, wearing clothes that were even finer than the ones that the Wu family's servants wore. He escorted the two through the mansion's golden brown doors and into a large study room where a man with jet black hair sat, slowly browsing the internet. He looked up slowly when they walked in, and his eyes connected with Kris's. A flash of something ran through Kris, but he couldn't quite place it. However, this man did look rather familiar and comforting.

Mr. Wu cleared his throat, and Mr. Huang's eyes darted to him, "Hello, Mr. Huang."

Mr. Huang remained silent. Instead, he rang a small bell that sent another well dressed servant in silk running over. With a quick nod and bow, he explained to the two guests that Mr. Huang was mute. As he talked, Mr. Wu's face grew redder and redder, until he burst out, "Ridiculous!" before looking down and muttering something along the lines of money gone to waste on a mute man. Embarrassed, Kris steered his father away and set him down in a room nearby. A servant, emerging from a hidden door, walked over and handed Mr. Wu a cup of tea. Seeing his father more or less settled down, Kris returned back to the study room to apologize.

Mr. Huang looked up from the computer screen again and smiled tentatively at Kris, holding out a hand. Kris unconsciously took it, and Mr. Huang stood up slowly. Next thing Kris knew, Mr. Huang was silently teaching him wushu moves. It was strange, Kris didn't want to learn, but like how he was stunned by Yixing's ballet, he was awed by Mr. Huang's artistic moves of wushu. By the time they both got tired, the sun had already set, and the kitchen servant reported to Kris that his father, bored, had already left. With a small smile, Kris said his goodbyes to Mr. Huang and promised to come back soon and learn more.

~

As soon as he left, Tao slumped onto the sofa and took off his house shoes. The soles of his feet looked normal, but internally, Tao felt like they were on fire, the pain hardly bearable. Luhan had not been kidding. But this was a price Tao had to pay for what he had done.

~

Days passed with Kris dropping by every day to learn the latest wushu move from Tao. No, it wasn't even to learn anymore, Kris came over whenever he wanted to escape the eerie quiet and loneliness of his house. And just like the first day, after Kris would leave, Tao would wearily take off his shoes and examine the soles that burned whenever he moved. Every time he checked, Tao could've sworn his soles got just a shade more red, like he was getting a sunburn on the soles of his feet.

--

Kris, on the other hand, often returned home from Tao's house to the sight of many new gifts from the Zhang family. Yixing would usually be waiting beside the gifts as well, with an enchanting smile on her face. She would always ask Kris about where he had been [even the servants did not have a clear idea], and he would leave her pondering, giving a vague "Oh you know, just relaxing and feeling the fresh air outside." Which would then bring Kris back to why he kept his visits with Tao a secret, almost as if he didn't want anyone else to know about him. He wasn't embarassed. Kris felt like he was being almost possessive. But why?

Shaking his head, Kris wandered away from Yixing, standing today next to a basket of organic fruits freshly picked from some high class farm. He thought about his future bride, that girl, so innocent and associated with the social world of the rich that he was so awkward in. They wouldn't make a good match; her dancing could only do so much to attract him.

Two arms from behind hugged him, "Kris, let's talk about your favorite things for once."

"I-I like to read," Kris stammered as he turned around and sat down on the sofa, Yixing joining him, "I like to shop, I like stuffed animals, I like people who are quiet and thoughtful, kind of like-"

"Like who?" pressed Yixing.

"Like you," Kris smiled.

~

What was with him? When Yixing had asked him what he liked, Kris almost blurted out .. Kris stopped himself. Tao's face emerged again, his usual wistful look on his face as he stared back at Kris.

Why was Tao's face always reappearing in Kris's mind?

He shook the image away. Kris was engaged, engaged, engaged.. 

--

"You're not going to get him at this rate, you know. His memory of the past you is gone, along with his past affection for you. You know what will happen on the night of his wedding day with Yixing, right?" Luhan smirked at the exhausted-looking Tao on the couch.

"Yes, and I'm prepared. I suppose it had to end like this. I just had to give it a try though. You're happy now, aren't you? You're going to have another soul to sustain your presence now," Tao muttered, disgusted at himself for giving in to Luhan's offer, yet still reminiscently happy that he was able to meet with Kris until the very last day.

Life was cruel, but it was still able to bring Tao that slight happiness in the end. Distorted, maybe, one-sided, probably, but nonetheless, it was enough for him.

~

Boss, who had been transformed by Luhan into the well dressed servant that the Wu's saw that day, rushed over to Tao, fatherly exasperation written all over his face.

"You don't have to give up this early! I wish I could do more, but you know how Luhan sealed my tongue from saying words regarding his offer to you to anyone else. However, I was able to bargain with Luhan to obtain this," Boss produced from his pocket a small vial, "On the day of the wedding, since surely you are invited, all you have to do is pour this vial into each of their drinking cups. 'Their' meaning Kris and Yixing's, of course. Once that's done, at night when they fall asleep, Luhan will be able to claim their souls. In return, he will not touch you, and you will be able to continue living!"

Tao stared at the small bottle. This vial contained the liquid that would allow him to stay in this world, breathe in the earthly scents, live on practicing wushu, continue this prosperous life as a rich man, stay with Boss in this mansion, ...

omg forgive me for not updating ;-; but yeah HAHAHA I'M SORRY FOR THE BEGINNING BUT THOSE LYRICS FROM 'CALL ME MAYBE' WERE REALLY NECESSARY. I thought it fit really well, lol. And it's not really ONLY from 'Call Me Maybe'. Which, by the way, SNSD's Tiffany made a cover of it and it's kawai. LOL OKAY YEAH. And don't associate EXO powers with any of the characters please, it was accidental that Luhan said time is ticking in the previous chapter after Tao signed. And when Luhan summoned wind, it doesn't relate to Sehun. LOL BUT I MEAN IF YOU WANT YOU CAN THINK THAT. But it's not on purpose in any way, lol. Luhan's just supposed to be a magical being here with multiple powers. Oh and! When I use '--' it means a switching in POV, but '~' just means that time has passed^^ Sorry if you got confused by that!:( WOW THE FACT THAT LAY IS A GIRL IS SO WEIRD ok i would write 'Lay' but 'Yixing' idk is more quiet sounding idk like more feminine??? omg forgive me why does he do ballet, or rather she, omg idek /rage/