Dance

Baby, Don't Cry Tonight

Five o'clock.

That was when the festival would start. Tao paced back and forth, his wushu outfit on his bed beside him. Boss had personally bought him a new one for this occasion. Tao could not disappoint him. To be honest, Tao was rather confused about the whole fair concept and his role in it. He had called the number indicated on the poster, and by simply saying what he can do, his name, contact number, and address, Tao was all set and entered into the fair's entertainment station. The money wasn't discussed either, so Tao supposed it would come after the fair ended and his performance was evaluated. Despite his reassurings to himself, Tao was fidgety. What if he messes up, or worse, forgets the routine? He practiced at every spare moment, but yet...

Gong, gong, gong, gong.

Four o'clock now. Tao had to get going. Walking to the fair will be a slow process since he would have to carry his wushu outfit and sword. He wouldn't want to drop either.

Squaring his shoulders, Tao leaves his bedroom, backpack on his back, wushu outfit and sword carefully packed inside. Tao didn't think he would need anything else, and with a shy smile to Boss, Tao left the restaurant, heading toward the grand fountain where the fair would be held around.

--

"The waiting tent here,  the changing tent here," Kris commanded the workers, "Thank you."

"My, Kris, thanking these workers? You're too kind!" Mr. Zhang, owner of a high-end restaurant chain, walked by Kris, on the way to a tent, Kris supposed. He walked past the bowing workers who muttered their pleasure to meet him, his head raised haughtily. Kris almost couldn't contain his laugh. This short man always thought he was all that. Kris had quietly observed him and the other rich men often at big business openings and meetings. Their life was stuffed with the thought of money and wealth. What was happiness to them, Kris had always wondered. He himself constantly asked himself that question as he was growing up, knowing no happiness.

"Would you want this table in the changing tent or waiting tent, sir?" one of the workers came up to Kris.

"I feel that the changing tent would require it more," Kris thoughtfully replied and then added with a smile, "Thank you."

--

Tao gasped. The city's main fountain had been decorated with multicolored balloons, swaying in the wind. For a rural boy like Tao, it was a magical moment. So simple, but pretty. He smiled. The festival was actually going to happen. Everything was real. Tao looked at the sign containing a map of the fair grounds. Ahh, so his station was just a few paces from the fountain itself! Pleased at how centered it was and what that meant, Tao headed toward the station only to ram in to a very tall man who was backing up to survey the tent positions and appearance.

"Ah! I'm sorry!" Tao quickly did a ninety degree bow. The man looked important, and Tao needed to make a good impression on everyone if he wanted to be successful.

"No, no, no, I should be the one who's sorry, I wasn't looking," the man stuttered, wringing his hands.

Tao looked up hesitantly only to see a very handsome young man. Light brown hair cleanly styled, shy gummy smile directed at him. Tao was mesmerized, his features were really nice. He quickly looked down again though, his dark messy hair and tired, panda-like eyes weren't fit to be in the presence of such a man.

"A-Are you okay?" the man stuttered again.

"Yes, yes! Uh, this is the entertainment station, right? I-I'll just be going now, sorry about that!" Tao quickly replied, darting out of this man's gaze and toward one of the tents. But then the man grabbed his arm.

"I believe you want to go to this tent," he spoke quietly, "And don't be so nervous, Mr. Entertainer." With that, he lifted his free arm as if to pat Tao's shoulder, only to stop adruptly and put it back down, "Hope to see you later," he just muttered, before letting go of Tao's arm and going back to commanding the workers with that shy leader aura around him.

Tao shook his dazed head and went in the tent. No one was there. It appeared that Tao was the first to arrive. Shrugging off his shirt, Tao quickly dressed into his wushu outfit and was going to go back outside, when the tent door was blocked by that man, slightly leaning on the tent as if for support. Confused, Tao went up to him and asked if he was okay, only to have the man look at him and go inside, sighing as he sat on the sofa. Tao went over to him and sat down as well. There was nothing else to do and this man interested him with his strange demeanor.

"I'm Kris," the man said.

"A-and I'm T-tao," Tao even more confused now. Why was this man trying to communicate with him? He didn't have wealth, no famous contacts, nothing that rich people desired. Why did Kris bother speaking to him?

Just then, Kris opened his mouth again, "Would...Would you like...to be my friend?"

Tao was stunned silent by now, but he hastily replied, "Of course, you don't seem like a bad person."

Kris scoffed, "And you don't seem like you're nervous about the fair."

Tao laughed. He liked this guy. He felt comfortable, friendly. Perhaps, Tao can actually make a friend other than Boss. Life at the restaurant was nice, but he had always been busy and lacked close friends. Maybe Kris...

They sat there on the couch talking for the rest of that thirty minutes before the fair. And when the fair started and Kris had to leave to start announcing the entertainers and each act, Tao never realized that the other entertainers never appeared in the tent and continued to sit on the couch, daydreaming and waiting for his name to be called out by Kris, his friend.

--

Kris had been foolish. He had allowed himself to open up and become vulnerable. But he acted as he thought best and believed he had made a friend. Yet, his heart was trembling. He had set Tao in his own private tent without knowing why. But after he leaned against his tent and Tao came up to him with that young face, Kris gave in to his shyness and tried to become friends with Tao. But deep under, Kris knew that he would probably never see Tao again. Tao didn't look like one to be of wealth and Kris had never seen him before at those rich men's parties. But no matter, on this festival day, Kris would have a friend. His first friend.

The entertainers did their tricks smoothly. Fire breathing, walking on glass, ballet, gymnastics, his father had gotten them all. Next on the list was Tao.

"Next, please welcome Tao Huang, a master of wushu!" Kris spoke excitedly. This performance he would look forward to.

--

Tao came out of the tent with a big smile and walked onto the stage. His routine would start now.

--

Kris gasped. Tao's body flew around the stage, twisting and turning. The sword in his hand sparkled and glistened. Tao's gaze itself was captivating, even more so when during a move, Tao's eyes would meet Kris's and give a small smile. At that moment, Kris knew Tao would not be just his one-day friend. Tao was one of a kind.

--

Tao's dance ended. With a bow, he left the stage and back into the tent to change out and rest. He had seen some of the entertainers in another tent, but didn't feel like joining them. He liked this quiet tent.

He could hear the fair dying down. Kris had just announced the entertainment station's closing and thanked the audience for coming to watch. Tao breathed. He would have to leave soon, but he wanted to say bye to Kris first for giving him a good time at the fair.

--

Kris entered the tent, tired, and was met with a hug.

"Thank you for everything," Tao said softly, "I never made a friend my age before."

Kris nodded and was about to open his mouth when Tao grabbed his things and left with his parting words, "Hope to see you again, friend."

 

Greetings from author-san again LOL. I'm trying hard to incorporate the actual Taoris relationship [like the real one in the real world lol] into here and hopefully you can start seeing it soon. I'm trying to stick with my plotline but there have been many tweeks already to it haha. Though I do hope Luhan appears soon, since he's going to be .. SO YUP omg the views idk. I never thought I'd reach 100 even, tbh. But wow. I hope I do really well and make an ending you all will like. Also, not sure how many chapters this fanfic will be, but so far, I'm thinking 4 more chapters? I don't want to make this a super long one since you guys might get bored:( And the Little Mermaid story isn't that long either. I'm trying to keep it short and simple and sweet, hehe. Anyway, hope you guys like this chapter, and I'll be back soon with another!