Lost

Baby, Don't Cry Tonight

The days after the festival appeared as a blur to Tao. The money had been mailed to him, but he couldn't bother with it, merely handing it to Boss as thanks for letting him participate in the fair. Instead, Tao couldn't help but come back to his memory of Kris's face, smiling and bright. A friend that was no longer accessible to him. Tao buried his face in his pillow as he tried to sleep. That day, he and Kris didn't talk about much, but he felt close with Kris, as if he could protect Tao from his loneliness. Like he was a warrior, defending and protective. Tao had never felt that before. His childhood had contained admiration yes, but never protection. His wushu was to protect himself yes, but it was himself protecting himself. Boss was fatherly to him yes, but he didn't always understand how Tao felt since they weren't around the same age. But Kris. Kris changed everything. He entered like a beacon of light into Tao's life, illuminating the corners of Tao's soul, lost corners that were found again. A child that could be loved purely and wholly again. But that light had been snatched away.

--

When a glimmer of hope in the future is lost, what happens to the original soul?

Kris stared aimlessly at the ceiling of his bedroom, pondering this question. Tao had appeared as a kind fellow, someone who would listen to Kris's sorrows, his interests, his activities. Someone who looked lost like him and was waiting for a support. Someone who could help both of them stand up tall. Tao was all of these things to Kris. He barely knew him really, but the first time they met was like a jolt of connection had run through him. He felt like he knew this person before he even knew his name. Maybe that's why Kris felt whole with him, like he completed a part of Kris's soul that was originally dazed and wandering. But now he was gone. Kris didn't know where he lived. Didn't even know his last name. How was he supposed to find him in this big city? What if he was a foreigner from another town? His father did hint that some of the entertainers were foreign people. He sighed in frustration. Life was cruel, he concluded. Not all souls were meant to exist as happy ones, and Kris just happened to get the short end of the stick.

--

Days passed, leaves fell, snow drifted down the window.

Clouds changed shape, flowers bloomed, sun rays touched the unfurled leaves.

They both viewed the scenes around them with detachment.

Happiness was found. Happiness was lost.

To know what could have happened but didn't, it kills the soul within.

Souls that could have raked the leaves into piles to jump in, together. Souls that could have sung holiday carols on those chilly nights, together. Souls that could have gardened and nurtured the small budding flowers, together.

But what did it mean to long to be together when together was no longer possible? It was now merely a shadow of what once would've been a beautiful future, now cast to the side with a gloomy tint.

"I have arranged for you and Yixing Zhang to be betrothed, you remember Mr. Zhang, don't you? She's his daughter."

"I have what you seek. Power, riches, and perhaps ... love."

"Your wedding will declare a joining of our families."

"You desire, you are longing."

"She will visit soon, remember how valuable she is to us."

"Let's have a deal."

A whirlwind of conversation spinned around Tao and Kris. Their lives, so empty, but yet so full of commotion. Kris resigned to his bitter fate. Tao signed a deal with Luhan. The clock started ticking to the finale where everything will end. Where the lives' futures, once so hopeful, were to be finalized and set in stone.

Luhan laughs gleefully, "Hurry, young ones, time does not wait."

 

I'M SO SORRY THAT LAY IS A GIRL OMG THAT'S JUST WEIRD BUT-- Wow, tbh I have no idea what I was writing, I kind of just let loose my fingers and typed LOL. But I must say I like how I did the bottom part of this chapter? I dunno, I think it's pretty mysterious hehehe. I was originally going to write, 'Luhan cackles' but that didn't really fit angelic little Luhan so I changed my mind. Though .. OH WELL. So yeah, wow this chapter is short, sorry T___T; I didn't think it was necessary to elaborate on despair. I might later on, after I finish the whole story. Yeah. After I finish all the chapters, I might go back and revise, so be aware, so idk you can come back and reread it sometime LOL. But yeah. Okay. Hope everyone had a great winter break and I will start on the new chapter now~^^ It should be the longest one *____*