Six.

The Life of a Father
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For two weeks, Key’s resentment toward his father had been simmering down. Though it was really hard for him to see Jonghyun in school, he hated to admit that the separation did rekindle his interest in school and his family. He started baking with Taemin regularly and finally got around to teaching Minho the basketball tricks from High School Musical.

That thing that had happened with Taemin and the baking was pretty weird. Key couldn’t stop thinking about it. It could be understandable that Taemin made an imaginary friend out of his mother, but there’s was no way he could have known about the marshmallow thing. They barely even had marshmallows in the house anymore. It was too weird. He shook the thought away for the time being. Thankfully after that first week, there hadn't been any more... umma incidents.

Kibum was beginning to really notice how little he had interacted with his family until then. Sure, they’d been having “family movie nights” for a while but Key had mentally checked out of those years ago (usually scrolling through twitter and instagram as his father and brothers enjoyed a family movie that Kibum always felt too grown for.) And while Key did pick up his brothers from school every day, there had been times when he barely noticed if they were there as he was so wrapped up in Jonghyun.

But... not anymore.

Yes, Key did miss Jonghyun but Key had other things to focus on for the time being. His family, his grades, his designs.

This upcoming weekend was going to be Taemin's birthday. He was having a big backyard party with a bouncy house, a magician, ice cream cake, just the works.

Minho had volunteered to record the party. Ever since 'Baking Spree with the Lees' started, Minho had become quite acquainted with the camera. And Key had to admit, Minho had a kind of talent for filmmaking. Could be a good director someday.

Key mentally shuddered at the thought of praising his little brother.

Key buttoned up his silk pajama top, bottoms already on and feeling great against his legs. He swayed back and forth, staring at his reflection in his full length mirror.

He grabbed a makeup and wiped the foundation from his skin. He smiled, showing a dimple.

Suddenly, his youngest brother ran into his room.

”Bummie hyung! Hurry before Daddy and Minnie hyung eat all the popcorn!” Taemin exclaimed, before disappearing out the door as quickly as he had appeared.

Key chuckled. “Yah!! You guys have to share! It’s family movie night, not Minho and Jinki eat all the popcorn night!” he called as he zoomed down the stairs behind Tae.

His phone stayed behind on the dresser.

It was Saturday. Taemin’s birthday. The party was going really well. Six-year olds were running around the backyard, eating pizza, jumping in the bouncy castle. Taemin loved all of it. Especially, the size of his tower of presents, which grew every time another guest appeared.

Minho was, true to his word, filming the party. He was finding great angles and making sure to document the most meaningful parts of the party, all the while, not forgetting to grab a slice or two of pizza for himself.

Onew was hosting the parent section. This was Taemin's first major birthday party, and the first big party for one of his kids that Onew had hosted alone. However, he was doing well balancing greeting and entertaining while also keep the order of things flowing smoothly. And of course, he had help from Kibum.

Kibum was spending most of the party actually hosting the kids. He helped dish out pizza and cake, sat them down for the magic show, and eventually, they dragged him into the bouncy house. Onew chuckled when he saw that.

Onew was really impressed by his eldest son. He hadn't asked him to do anything for the day except to help set up and decorate. But Key had gone above and beyond for his brother. And it didn't go unnoticed.

Despite all the fun that was ensuing, the end of the party was drawing near. Children started collecting their goodiebags and parents started collecting their children. Jinki and Kibum handed the goodybags out, thanking each parent for coming and wishing them safe travels home.

After a little while of this, Jinki felt a buzz signifying a text on his phone. It was from Joon. Jinki tried to hide his dorky grin.

J: hey! i have a gift for little Taemin :) don’t know if i should go in or not

Jinki raised his eyebrows in surprise. He hadn’t expected that at all.

O: Aw you didn’t have to! :)) I’ll come get it, hold on!

“Kibummie, finish this for me?” Jinki asked, returning to the present.

Key nodded. “Sure, dad.” There weren’t many left to give out anyway.

Jinki jogged out to the front of the house, seeing Joon standing outside of his car.

"Hey!" Jinki smiled, pulling Joon into an embrace.

"Hey," Joon replied, just as happily, returning the hug. "Wow, it's been a little while." Joon thought Jinki still looked great.

”It has! It’s so good to see you!” Onew exclaimed a little loudly, immediately realizing. He sheepishly covered his mouth and sneaked a peak behind him to see if any of his kids came out behind him. Nope.

Or so he thought.

”It’s great to see you, too.” Joon grinned. In all honestly, Joon just used Taemin’s birthday as an excuse to see Onew. “Oh, this is for Taemin.” He held up a green metal tin that had ‘Texas Hold’em’ written across it, and a single red ribbon tied around it in a bow. 

Onew couldn’t help but snicker in amusement. “Um... a poker set? You do realize Taemin is the little one, right? He turned 6.” He took the gift, a little unsure if it was a joke.

Joon rubbed the back of his neck, embarassed. “Yeah, I don’t really know how to shop for kids...” 

Onew giggled. This was so cute. “Maybe he could use the chips as currency when he plays supermarket.” he suggested, studying the gift.

“I dunno, that hardly seems as age appropriate as teaching him to gamble.” Joon awkwardly joked, realizing how terrible the gift really was. “Ah... sorry about the gift. It’s pretty bad.”

”No, it’s sweet.” Onew smiled gently. “Thank you for thinking about him.” 

Joon returned the smile warmly. “Well, I guess I should get going.”

Onew pulled Joon into another hug. He loved Joon’s scent. He always smelled fancy, unlike Onew who always smelled like apple sauce.

When Joon got into his car,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter