Five.

The Life of a Father
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Key splashed some water on his face to really try to wake himself up. He opted for glasses instead of contacts today and got headed down the stairs as slowly as he possibly could.

He really hadn’t known what had gotten into him last night. He regretted it. He wasn’t the type to do any of the things he did: sneak out, break curfew, party, drink. 

His father’s words kept ringing in his ears. Why was disappointment harder to hear than anger? He trudged down the stairs, head already ringing at the loud noises.

Onew was moving around the kitchen, putting some finishing touches on his weekly big Saturday morning breakfast. There was plenty of food: pancakes, bacon, eggs, sausage, toast. And as per usual, Onew was proud of his display. Or at least he wanted to be. But truly he was too distracted to really be proud.

He honestly felt disappointed. Disappointed in Kibum. Disappointed in himself. What kind of parent was he that Key could slip out without him even suspecting. By the time he even realized Key was gone, it was already midnight. Onew had no idea what time Key had even left. He'd stayed up the entire night waiting for him to come home. He tried to call but it was apparent that Key had turned his phone off.

Onew noticed Key hesitantly shuffled into the busy kitchen. “Morning, Dad...” he said quietly.

“Kibum.” Jinki responded flatly, unable to fully look at the teenager before switching his attention back. “Food’s ready, guys!” He called from the kitchen to the boys in the living room.

Minho switched the video game to cartoons on the TV and the boys came zooming into the kitchen. Onew had already prepared Taemin’s bowl for him.

”Here, Taem. And make sure you drink all of this okay?” Onew handed him the bowl of food and an orange juice box. Now that Taemin’s fever had broken, his dad wanted to ensure that the boy stay as hydrated as possible.

Minho made his plate quickly and made his way back to the living room followed by little Taemin. They turned up the TV volume high so that the cartoons were blasting loud.

”Yah, Minho!” Key exclaimed from the kitchen, his headache worsening. “Turn that down!!”

”Yah. You don't get to say that to him.” Onew scolded curtly. “You’re the one who went and got yourself hungover. Now, you’re the one who has to suffer as a result of that choice.” He explained as he began cleaning up the empty pots and pans. “That’s what happens when you try to make adult decisions as a child. I don’t even..” Onew paused his rant, and his task of cleaning, to take a deep breath. He didn't want to explode.

"Where were you?"

"Um.." Key sighed, rubbing his arm. "A houseparty. Across town."

"Whose house?"

"A girl at my school. Jaeun. I don’t know her that well..." he trailed off.

"Who did you go with?"

"... Jonghyun. But Dad-..."

Jinki continued drilling questions. "Did you take any drugs?" 

"What?? Dad, no!”

"Did Jonghyun?"

"Dad... I don't...”

"Answer me, Key!"

”I don’t know! Maybe he hit a vape pen a few times..?”

Jinki was bewildered. “What the hell is happening to you, Key? This time last year, you wouldn’t be caught dead around people who drink, or vape." Jinki scoffed at the word. "And now here you are doing it yourself!” He shook his head in disbelief.

”Everybody does it, Dad!” Key defended.

”But you’re not everybody, Kibum! All your life you’ve never wanted to be like anybody else! And you shouldn’t. You are meant to be something great. You don’t get to throw that for a few cheap thrills with some kid! Do you know how badly last night could have gone? Two intoxicated teenagers driving around at 3AM??? You could have gotten arrested! You could’ve gotten into an accident, Key. Or needed your stomach pumped!” Jinki ranted endlessly. “Didn’t any of this even cross your mind?”

All Key could do was keep his head down and shrug. But evidently, that wasn’t enough for Jinki.

”Don’t you have anything to say for yourself?” Jinki asked desperately. He wanted Key to be able to say that it was all a misunderstanding. He did those things against his will. This was all some elaborate prank. Something. He didn’t want to accept the fact that Kibum could do something so stupid, that showed complete disregard for himself and those around him.

But that wasn’t the case. Kibum had snuck out, broken curfew, and gotten drunk. And now he had to face the consequences.

Kibum had nothing to say for himself.

Jinki sighed, preparing for what he would say next. ”Well, I know you won’t like this and I’m sorry to say it but... you’re not to see Jonghyun anymore.”

Key’s head shot up. “W-what?”

”I can’t condone this behavior, Kibum.”

”Th-then, ground me! Take my phone away! Anything, just... Dad, please...”

”I let you date him but he’s been a negative influence on you and I don’t want him around you anymore, Key.” Jinki snapped sharply, preventing Kibum from coming back with a rebuttal. ”I’m not gonna argue with you about this. Whatever you have with him, end it. You have to show you care about your family before you can care about anyone else. Right now, I don’t believe you do.” Onew finished sternly. "So, that's it."

Kibum felt a rush of tears coming to his face before turning on his heel and running out of the kitchen, back into the safety of his room.

Jinki let out a deep sigh that deflated his whole body. He let himself fall into the chair behind him. He felt terrible causing Key to hurt like that... but he had done what he thought he had to in order to be a good father. He just hoped Key didn't hate him.

"Bummieeeeee!!" Little Taemin shouted as he ran up the stairs. "Bummie!!" he called again as he ran up to Key's door. 

Key creaked his door open. "Yes, Booger?" His eyes were red and his face had been puffy from crying, but of course Taemin didn’t pick up on that.

"Can you fix Mr. Hoppy?" the boy innocently asked with a pout as he held up a single-eared stuffed bunny in one hand and a cotton ear in the other hand.

Key contemplated, staring at the little boy's pout but ultimately, he gave in. "Sure, come on." Key opened his door wider to let the boy in.

Key's TV was playing old home movies of the family when his mother, Minyoung, was alive. This video was one of Key and Minyoung baking together, pretending they were hosts of a cooking show. Key was so short back then that he needed a stool to reach the kitchen counter.

"What are you watching?" Taemin asked as he handed over the stuffed animal parts and sat in Key's bed.

Key busied himself with setting up his sewing machine. "That's me and umma making cookies."

"Wahh.." Taemin said in amazement. "I wanna do that."

Key stayed quiet and stuck to his task. He positioned the ear properly against the bunny's head and began to sew it back in place.

Taemin was enthralled with the home video. Key had seen this video dozens of times but he wasn’t sure that Taemin had seen it even once. Taemin had usually only seen pictures of his late umma. He giggled at a point in the video where Minyoung put some cookie dough on Key's nose.

"Ah.. you know, Tae..." Key started, not looking up from what he was doing, "me and you can bake cookies sometime. I can teach you what Umma taught me."

"Really??? Can we do it today, Bummie? Pleaseee?” Taemin begged.

Kibum thought for a moment. He was originally supposed to see Jonghyun that day but now... He closed his eyes and sighed. It hurt so much that he had to break up with Jonghyun, which he still ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter