Two.

The Life of a Father
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Onew looked up and realized that Minho was talking about Joon.

“Oh. Uh, sorry. Minho, Key, this is my friend Joon. Joon, meet Minho and Kibum.” Onew gestured to each person as he said their name. Then he went back to doing his paperwork. Joon shook Minho’s hand and went to shake Key’s but Key just looked at him funny. Joon, not knowing what to do, just lowered his hand slowly until it was back by his side.

“That’s great, Dad. Your 5 year old son is in the hospital and you just have to bring along your newest boyfriend? Just great.” Kibum got up and walked away.

“Yah, Kibum, come back here!” Onew sighed. “I’m sorry, Joon. I’ll be right back.” Joon nodded left with Minho to watch Onew catch up with his diva of a son.

When Kibum turned a corner, Jinki grabbed his arm. “Key, what is with you? Why are you acting out?”

“I’m not acting out. I’m being myself. What are you gonna do? Bury me and get a new son? Replace me in three quick seconds like you did Mom?” He questioned, glaring.

“I don’t like this, Kibum. You’re acting like a little kid! Cut it out. You know better.” Onew said sternly, getting angry with his son.

Key scowled. “So now it’s all about what you like or don’t? I’ll act how I want to!”

“No, you won’t, Key. Not around me. I’m your father and you can’t talk to me however you want. I’ll make sure of that.”

“I’m sure.” the 16 year old scoffed, “You know, I think I want to change my profession. In the future, I’ll be a selfish just like my daddy is becau-” Key got cut off when a strong hand came into contact with his cheek, leaving a stinging feeling. Onew slapped Key.

“Don’t talk to me like that!!!!!” Onew screeched.

Key’s eyes quickly filled with tears as he held his face. “I hate you!!!” he screamed, hurt.

Onew quickly realized what he’d done. “K-Key, I didn’t.. I didn’t mean to.. Mianhae..” Jinki, now regretful and apologetic, tried to move closer to comfort his son but Key pushed him away.

“Don’t touch me, you bastard!” With that, Kibum ran past Onew then past Joon and Minho and out of the hospital.

Onew went after him until he reached the exit but then, Jinki stopped, feeling defeated. He turned and went back to where Minho and Joon were waiting. He sat down next to Joon and sighed again with his head in his hands.

“Hey...” Joon rubbed Jinki’s back. “Are you okay? What happened back there?” Joon asked, concerned.

“I… I hit him… I’m such a bad parent.” Onew mumbled more to himself than to Joon, hands still covering his hanging head.

“Aniya.”  Joon put a comforting arm around Jinki. “You’re a loving father. I see it in your eyes. I’m sure you have a legitimate reason.”

Onew shrugged sadly and leaned into Joon.

“Don’t worry. It’ll be okay. Don’t stress.” Joon rubbed Jinki’s shoulder.

“I-I… ” struggled Onew. He wanted to let Joon know all that happened but he couldn’t get anything out.

“Shhh... Just stop thinking about it for now.” Joon rubbed Jinki’s back.

“Umm... excuse me? I’m very sorry to interrupt.” A young nurse called, lightly blushing, to get the hugging duo’s attention.

“Yes?” Joon asked.

She looked down at her clipboard. “I’m looking for a Lee Jinki?”

Onew quickly looked up. “That’s me. What is it? Something with Taemin?”

“Yes.” The nurse smiled. “You may see him now.  He’s all right. He was probably just overwhelmed at the moment.” She told him the room number. Onew, Joon, and Minho got up and proceeded to little Taemin’s room in the kid’s section and walked in.

“Appa!!!” Taemin shouted happily from his bed sporting a cartoon filled gown and a tear stained face.

“Minnie-ah!” Jinki rushed over and wrapped his son in a tight hug. “I was so worried about you…”

“Hey, Tae.” Minho said, walking over to the five year old.

“Hi, hyung!” Taemin grinned but soon pouted. “Where’s Bummie Hyung?”

Onew quickly responded. “He had to go back home to finish something.”

“Is he gonna come back?” Questioned Taemin.

“I don’t think so, buddy…” replied Onew. The doctor walked in and all eyes adjusted to her.

“Hello, gentlemen.”  The doctor smiled and began to tell about Taemin’s case.

After Onew called for a tow truck and Joon dropped him, Minho, and Taemin home, Onew sent his younger sons straight up to bed. He peeked into Kibum’s room but was upset not to find him there. Onew checked the bathroom, kitchen, living room, and attic. Key was nowhere to be found. Onew thought for a moment. He knew Key couldn’t go anywhere besides the house because it was too late at night.

“Min.” He thought and rushed down to the basement. He was relieved to see Kibum kneeling in front of the shrine that was built for the deceased Minyoung. Their mother.

Onew and the kids built that shrine shortly after her death. She was so special to them that they decided that anytime they wanted to pay their respects or talk to her they could go and sit in front of the shrine. The shrine wasn’t anything too special. Minyoung didn’t like things that were too over the top. It was an old shelf that held some of her favorite things from when she was alive. Her favorite book, her teddy bear, which she just couldn’t sleep without, the necklace Onew bought her for their first anniversary, and other small things that never left her side throughout her life. The shelf had a few framed pictures of her at the top. Right now, Kibum was caressing one of them, his bottom lip trembling. Onew leaned against the door frame as Kibum started talking.

“I miss you so much… Can you believe he hit me? He actually slapped me, Mom. I mean, I know I went kinda far by calling him a .” Key sighed. “I don’t really hate him. I’m just worried. I’m worried he’ll stop coming down here.  I’m worried he’ll even stop visiting your grave. I just don’t want him to forget you. Forget us…” Kibum slowly pulled the frame into an embrace.

Onew smiled, holding the camera up to his right eye. “Say cheese!”

A big be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter