Chapter One

I Give My First Love To You

 

Amber’s POV

“How much trouble do you think we’re in?” Aiden asked me.

“Considering it’s past midnight and the first day of school for me is tomorrow… probably a lot.” I laughed. It’s funny really. Uncle Jin rarely ever knows we’re gone because he’s so busy with work. This was the first time he’s caught us out so late.

Just then I got a call. It was Suzy. Why is she awake at this time?

“Hello?” I wasn’t really sure how to greet her at the moment.

“Your uncle just called me. Where are you?” She sounded mad.

“I was out with Aiden. Don’t worry, I’m on my way home now.” I quickly assured her. I wasn’t going to tell her exactly what we were doing though.

“Oh okay… I’m glad you’re alright. I was worried when he called me.” I was relieved when she didn’t ask anymore questions. I hate when she worries. Ever since we were little she was always over protective because of my condition.

“I know and I’m sorry. I’m fine.” I heard her sigh on the other end. “You should head to bed it’s late. I’ll see you at school tomorrow okay? Goodnight.” I didn’t want her to worry anymore. I hated worrying her. After she said goodnight I hung up.

________________________________________

“Do you two know what time it is?” I kept quiet. Aiden and I stood with our heads down.

“Sorry Uncle, we were at Min’s house. We lost track of time.” Aiden was always good with telling lies when he needed to. I looked up at Uncle Jin. He looked exhausted and worried.

“Don’t do it again.” He gave out a loud sigh, “Go to sleep AJ. You have school tomorrow and you have to go see Dr. Bae after school.” And with that he walked into his office and closed the door.

________________________________________

Bae Family House

Suzy was eating breakfast when her twin brother walked in.

“Morning.” He mumbled and walked over to the fridge and pulled out a juice box.

“Where were you last night?” Suzy asked. Jason looked at her with a raised eyebrow while sipping from his juice box.

“Here. I was sleeping.” He answered. Suzy on the other hand knew he was lying.

“I saw you leave last night. Your car isn’t exactly quiet you know.” Before Jason could answer their mom walked in.

“Goodmorning you two. I have to head to school now. Do either of you want a ride?” She asked as she walked around the kitchen in a rush.

“No, I’m going to pick up Ji-eun.” Jason said.

“I’ll go with you mom.” Suzy said as she stood up from the kitchen table. While in the car Suzy started texting Amber.

‘I’m on my way to school~ See you at the roof top?’

________________________________________

In Jason’s Car

“So…” Ji-eun awkwardly said as her and Jason drove to school. “Suzy told me about you being out late last night.”

“I just went to drop something off at Taec’s house.” Jason lied. Ji-eun didn’t know about the racing either. He didn’t want to tell her because it would lead to her telling Suzy and eventually Suzy finding out about Amber. “But how’s your debut coming along?” He said trying to change the subject.

“I don’t know.” Ji-eun replied back with a mad tone. Jason looked over at her and sighed. He didn’t want to make her mad especially on the first day of school. He didn’t know what to say after that so they drove in silence.

________________________________________

Amber’s POV

“Ailee! Hurry up!” I yelled. I wasn’t rushing her because I was scared we would be late. I was rushing her because I didn’t want to keep Suzy waiting. She texted me a few minutes ago about meeting up at the rooftop of our school. It was our secret spot. We always met there on the first day of school, lunch and sometimes randomly.

“Alright, calm down. I’m ready.” Ailee ran down the stairs looking annoyed. I smiled and ruffled her hair.

________________________________________

When we got to school I parked my car and walked Ailee to the front.

“Remember, I have to go to the hospital after school so your manager will come pick you up.” I told her as I walked away. She just nodded her head and walked over to her group of friends.

I made my way to the rooftop and unconsciously started running. It wasn’t until I felt a stinging in my chest halfway to the rooftop that I remembered I shouldn’t be running. I forgot. I rested my back against a wall and tried to calm my aching heart. I brought my hand to my chest and bent forward. I hated how easy it was for me to hurt like this.

“Amber?” I looked up to see a worried Suzy at the top of the staircase. I gave her one of my “I’m in pain but don’t worry” smiles. She came running the rest of the way down. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I wheezed out. I grabbed at my chest and stood up. My uniform was crumpled at the front now. “Sorry, I was excited to see you that I started running. I didn’t mean to. I forgot.” I really did. When I think of her I get happy and forget all my worries. Every single day all my thoughts are of her. Everything else is unimportant, even my heart.

“You shouldn’t of done that.” I hated seeing her mad or worried. She grabbed my hand that was still grabbing at my clothes. “Are you going to be alright?” I nodded my head and smiled at her. If I hadn’t stopped sooner I probably wouldn’t of been able to calm my heart back to normal. “Stupid.” She said before wrapping her arms around my waist and resting her head on my chest. I wrapped her in my arms.

Before class started we went to the rooftop and talked. I could tell she was trying to get something out of me. She told me about how Jason was out late and kept asking me what Aiden and I were doing out so late. Of course I couldn’t tell her the truth, it would just worry her even more. Before she could ask anymore questions the bell rang, signaling that class would start soon. She looked disappointed. I hated lying to her but I felt that it would be better this way.

________________________________________

During my last class, P.E., I sat by myself at the bleachers watching all the other kids play basketball. Today was a pre-tryouts for both girls and boys teams. On the girls court I watched Suzy. She was really athletic and good at sports. I was more than sure she would be on the team. Since I wasn’t aloud to do hard exercises like sports for the past couple of years all I do is sit around and watch.

“Amber? Is that you?” I turned to the voice.

“Krystal?” I haven’t seen her since we were little back at the hospital. Me, her and Suzy used to play together all the time. But one day she moved away. We never heard from her again. “What are you doing here?”

“My family just moved back.” We both had the same heart condition but apparently she had it worse and that’s why she moved away.

“It’s been a while. You grew!” I laughed. “How’re you?”

“Better.” She still had the same smile she had when she was younger. I smiled back. The rest of the period we caught up. She told me about her getting surgery and that she was waiting for a transplant. It was weird, Dr. Bae hasn’t even talked to me about a transplant yet.

________________________________________

After school I waited outside for Suzy. She was washing up and changing from P.E. She wanted to go with me to the hospital before heading to her practice at my uncle’s company place. I was leaned against my car looking through my phone and texting Krystal. It was nice being able to talk to her again.

“Hey babe, sorry for making you wait.” Suzy said before giving me a peck on the cheek.

“It’s okay.” I said giving her a kiss before opening the door for her. While driving, Suzy started asking me about Krystal.

“Who was that girl you were talking to during P.E.?” she asked sounding a little bit annoyed. Was she jealous?

“Are you jealous?” I asked laughing. I looked over at her glaring at me. “You don’t recognize her?” She shook her head. “That was Krystal. She just got back. She transferred to our school.” I told her.

“Krystal? From when we were younger?” I nodded my head. She didn’t say anything else after that. We drove in silence the rest of the way. It wasn’t exactly what I thought her reaction would be. It was weird. We used to all be really good friends.

________________________________________

“Hi dad.” Suzy said as we walked into her father’s office. She was allowed in with me for my check ups since it was her father and we were all close.

“Hey Doctor Bae.” I said as I sat myself down on the bed in his office.

“Hey. How was your guy’s first day?” He asked looking at his computer monitor at what looked like an X-Ray of someone’s brain. I was about to take my shirt off when I saw Suzy staring. I smirked at her and took it off. I saw her cheeks turn pink before she quickly turned around to the window. It wasn’t the first time she saw me shirtless.

“Same old, same old.” I answered. Suzy just agreed still turned around.

“Nothing new?” He asked. I shook my head no. He stood up and started his check up on me. The whole time I watched Suzy’s back. “Alright seems like everything’s stable. You two can leave now.” At his words Suzy turned around and watched me as I put my shirt back on. As I stood I left my top three buttons of my uniform ed, which showed off the line from my previous surgery a couple years ago. “Remember to not to do hard exercises and watch what you eat.” He said as we walked out of his office.

I walked next to Suzy hand in hand. She had been quiet throughout the check up. I could tell she was bothered but I didn’t want to push her. Every time I did in the past we would get into an argument. I gently squeezed her hand for reassurance that she was okay and when I felt her squeeze back I smiled. We walked to my car in silence but before getting inside Suzy grabbed my arm and turned me towards her.

“You need to button up your shirt.” she told me before buttoning the rest of my shirt up. I felt her fingers shake as she did so. I knew why she wanted it buttoned. She never liked seeing my scar. She always got mad when I wore something that showed it. I never argued with her about it though.

________________________________________

 

I take a while to write, so I want to apologize in advance. But I hope you all enjoy the first chapter. I actually had a hard time starting. I was planning on introducing everyone in this chapter but that didn’t work out, lol.