A Broken Date

Stethoscopes and Heartbeats

“Aeeegiiii!” You heard from downstairs while you threw your coat on. You secured your scarf tightly to prepare for the weather outside. 

“I’m coming” 

Jinyoung refused to shut up though, “Aeeeegii~” 

Rolling your eyes, you closed your bedroom door behind you and leaned over the railing to see Jinyoung grinning up at you. 

“Oppa, please shut up” You chuckled before hustling down the stairs to your brother who stood at the foot of the staircase. 

“Your ugly boyfriend is here” Jinyoung commented, sticking his tongue out at you before he received a slap on his chest. 

“When does he ever take you out on dates?” He questioned

Ignoring his question, you shot him a pointed look. 

“I thought you said you were okay with me going out? I mean you should be, we’ve been dating for three years and yet you never fail to insult him. Are you sure you’re okay with me going out?” You sighed as you put on your shoes. Jinyoung huffed, nodding unwillingly.

“I am, I am. But come on, let your brother be protective for once? If I don’t, who will?” He smiled lightly, fixing your bangs just like how your father used to. You knew the only reason he was being like this was because of the way your father used to react to Kai. Always jokingly disapproving him. Jinyoung just wanted to do something right as an older brother. 

“Have fun with Shinwoo” You mumbled, giving him a hug.

Jinyoung nodded, “Have fun with.. Kai” He added an exaggerated sigh before you kissed his cheek. 

“Don’t wait up on me” You called over your shoulder as you opened the door to greet your boyfriend. 

“That’s not even an option little sister”

Rolling your eyes, you closed the door and faced Kai who smiled sweetly at you. He reached out and took your hands, fingers slipping between yours perfectly before he tucked them warmly into the pocket of his coat. 

“Let’s get going” The boy said, warm breath mixing with the icy cold air. You nodded, letting him bring you close enough to smell his cologne.
 

*

You had made a right choice, not cancelling the date for Shinwoo because this wasn’t just any date. For a while now, you and Kai’s relationship had been a little different. What used to be sweet kisses and romantic gestures were becoming fights and forgiving. It wasn’t something you liked. But the date, was like a date you and Kai used to have when the two of you were still in the honeymoon stage. The thing was, it just didn’t feel right. 

“Come here, let’s win you a prize” Kai grinned, grabbing you gently by the waist and tugging you towards one of the tents where a boyfriend would show off his skills to win his girlfriend a prize. 

Chuckling, you let him take you there where an old man who was guarding the tent. He shot the two of you knowing looks, sending you blushing.

“Alright sir, winning your lady a prize?” 

Kai nodded, taking the little bean balls from him with a beam in exchange for money. He stood behind you, resting his chin on your shoulder- something he hadn’t done in a while. 

“What are you doing?” You asked, laughing as you craned your neck to see him. Kai grinned at you as you blushed at the proximity. He leaned forward and closed the gap quickly, pecking your lips before standing up right. 

“Think I’ll make the shot from here?” The tanned boy asked, snaking an arm around your waist, your cheeks burning up despite the cold weather. 

“Again, what are you doing?” He was kissing you spontaneously, making little romantic gestures. It was definitely a change from all the fighting but you knew what this was leading up to, and a part of you didn’t mind. 

“I’m winning you a prize” Kai replied nonchalantly, bending his arm slightly and throwing the ball perfectly. Your eyes widened as one by one, with each throw, they ended up in the clowns mouth. 

“Ah looks like we’ve got a winner! Which bear would the lovely lady want?” The old man asked, pointing at the array of stuffed bears on the wall. 

“That one please!” You said, pointing at the big white bear with silly blue hat and scarf. The old man nodded and went over to get the bear down. Kai smiled lightly, wrapping his arms tightly around your waist and pressing his cold cheek against your warm cheek. 

“I’m sorry” Kai mumbled, pressing soft kisses to your cheek. You shut your eyes briefly and shook your head, covering your hands over his. 

“Not now, please” You sighed, opening your eyes to take the bear from the old man, a big smile replacing the sad one you had harbored just moments ago. 

“Not now” 
 

*

The rest of the night had been filled with kisses and hugs and little compliments and hand holding. It felt like the first two years of your relationship all over again, packed into one small night. Your heart felt light and free, forgetting what was to come. Kai made you feel like the past year was not what it actually was, but rather happy and joyful memories. 
 

*

The end of the date came soon enough but there was not one ounce of awkwardness or tension in the air. Actually, it had been quite pleasant. A quiet walk to your house, filled only with soft murmurs of how much the both your really enjoyed the time spent together. But just like the mood that was to come, the clouds overhead bursted and cold, icy water fell upon the streets of Seoul. Kai broke out into a run, heading straight towards your house, fingers still locked with yours. 

Before this night, you were sure he would’ve probably ran without you. 

The sound of the rain had deafened the cacophony of the street. The raindrops slid between your interlocked fingers. His grip was slowly loosening until finally, he slipped away.

Kai didn’t make the effort to keep holding on and neither did you. By the time the rain had calmed down, the two of you reached the front of your door, drenched in icy cold water. 

As you took a moment to retrieve your breath, Kai looked up at you, chuckling when he noticed your bangs clinging to your forehead. He reached over, pushing it back and catching you by surprise. 

“Remember when I told you I liked it when your bangs are pushed back?” He smiled briefly at the memory, the back of his fingers resting tentatively on the side of your face.

Your fingers encircled around his wrist, stopping him from going any further. The nostalgia was enough to slap you in the face.

“Kai,” your voice hoarse and tired.

A sad smile found its way onto his lips. He brought your hand to his mouth, pressing his lips against the smooth skin. His eyes couldn’t meet yours, afraid to shed tears whereas tears were already pooling in your eyes. 

“I’m sorry” Kai whispered, kissing your hand one last time before his cold hands released yours. 

“I know you are” You knew he was sorry, but this was best for the both of you. You were sick of fighting and then longing and then forgiving. There was only two options left for the two of you.  It was either going along, pretending that the relationship was fine or breaking it off. 

“I loved you” He breathed, eyes locking with yours. “At one point, you were my everything. You were it for me” A smile appeared on his lips, faint but still there. 

“I loved you” You croaked, shoulders raising as you let out a desperate laugh. “And I still do” 

Kai’s smile dropped instantly and he reached out to grab a hold of your hand. You were too weak to pull back as tears fell from your face. 

“I’m sorry” He repeated but before he could utter anymore words, the door swung open. 

“Oh-” Shinwoo stopped abruptly, obviously on his way out. Kai rolled his eyes and clucked his tongue, dropping your hand. 

“Is everything okay here?” The tall doctor asked. 

“I’m fine” You wiped away your tears, shoving the bear Kai had won for you into Shinwoo’s arms before you pushed past him.

Jinyoung, who was only a few steps away from Shinwoo grinned when he spotted you, oblivious the the event that had unfolded. 

“Aegii” The red haired boy said happily only to have his smile drop the second he took a proper look at you, “Ya! Why are you wet? I just mopped!” He screeched, folding his arm over his chest. You didn’t reply, heading straight towards your bedroom and slamming the door shut. 

“That’s weird” He uttered before remembering that she had just come from a date with Kai. Jinyoung’s expression changed and instantly his eyes darkened as he turned to face the younger boy.

“You” He growled, dropping his arms and pointing directly at Kai who harbored a smirk on his face. 

“Jinyoungie, no respect for your brother in law?” Kai teased, running a hand through his wet hair. 

“Ya don’t say my name in vain!” He  scowled, “I lost respect for you the moment you looked at woman who wasn’t my sister” Jinyoung hissed, poking Kai’s chest. 

His smirk dropped, “Well today must be your lucky day then” 

“Why?” 

“Because we’re over” Kai breathed, sadness clouded in his eyes. Shinwoo, who was still pressed against the door frame awkwardly let out a sound. The tanned boy snapped his head towards him, a look of disgust replacing his previous melancholy state. 

“Who are you?” Kai asked before his eyes dropped to Shinwoo’s teeth,  “You look like a beaver” He commented promptly before shaking his head and turning to Jinyoung who seemed surprised. 

“So have your parties and whatever. I won’t be hurting her anymore” Kai said briefly before turning around and making his way down the path. 

It was quiet between Shinwoo and Jinyoung as they watched Kai walk away with your heart in his hand. 

“Such a jerk” Jinyoung huffed, crossing his arms angrily. 

“He said I look like a beaver!” He argued in utter shock, pointing at a long gone Kai in disbelief. 

Jinyoung let out a short laugh before he turned to his best friend, “Well come on Shinwoo, your teeth are a little..” The younger boy tucked his top lip to reveal his pearly white teeth in an attempt to insult his best friend. “I mean come on, you’re a doctor. Can’t you fix that?” 

Shinwoo rolled his eyes, “Aish, this guy” He laughed, slapping his best friend’s shoulder. “I’m going to go okay but make sure your sister’s okay alright? I may be a doctor but I can’t fix a broken heart” He added dramatically, handing the bear back to Jinyoung.

“That was deep” Jinyoung replied seriously, nodding his head.

“And I’ll make sure to let her know, but you should take this” He added, handing the bear back to Shinwoo.

“Kai probably got this for her so.. you keep it. I doubt she’d want any reminders of him right now” 

Nodding, Shinwoo took the bear hesitantly from Jinyoung. He didn’t exactly like the thought of keeping a bear that wasn’t given to him directly by the owner which is why he promised he’d give it back to you one day. 


Wow! The response I received made me want to cry haha! Thank you so much for reading and commenting and subscribing! I'm sorry this is so delayed, I've been working on something else~ Please keep reading and commenting and subscribing and enjoying! So much and's but they're all important! Thank you~

@n_faqihi: Thank you for reading and thank you for loving it! I hope you continue to love it as the story progresses :)

@pwincesso8: Ahh I'm sorry that she went on the date but isn't Shinwoo cute? Thank you for reading!

@going-crayy: Jinyoung is extremely cute and he's going to be quite the comedian in the fic! Stay tune! Thank you for reading!

@MzMayks: I know! Doctor CNU/Shinwoo creys so many feels. Thank you for reading!

@rsquaredpie: He most definitely is! Thank you for reading!

Thank you all for reading, even those who didn't subscribe or comment. I hope the coming chapters will push you to comment and subscribe. Thank you again! Have a nice day!