Reunions

Stethoscopes and Heartbeats

 

Regular doctor check-ups are always a must for you. Especially after your father had gotten a heart attack no little than two years ago. It had been a traumatic time for your whole family and ever since then, you’ve organised regular check ups for yourself and your brother. You never fail to attend but, Jinyoung, he’s another story. 

He believes that you don’t need to have a checkup to know if you’re fine or not. Every time you go to have a checkup, you beg him to come but instead he always says, “if I look look fine, feel fine then I’m healthy. I don’t need someone who went to school for 6 years to tell me I’m healthy.”

This time it’s going to be different.

It’s freezing outside, the snow crunching against the concrete and the sole of your combat boots. You muffle your face into your scarf and curl your fists in your sleeves as you hurry towards the entrance, winter wind hitting your frozen face. You and Jinyoung are instantly greeted by warmth the second you step into the lobby of the hospital, face and hands coming out of hiding

“Oppa come on, you’re going to be late” You mumbled, tugging on his arm. He let you pull all you wanted but his feet remained where they were, planted against the marble floor of the hospital. 

“No” Jinyoung said, eyebrows creased as he frowned. You knew attempts would be futile but it didn’t hurt to try. 

“Oppa!”  

“I’m healthy~” He whined, grabbing your wrist and pressing the back of your hand against his smooth forehead. “Am I sick? Am I? Do I feel hot? Do I?”

Snatching your hand away from him, you stop where you are and look at him, shock rippling through the profiles of your face. 

“Oppa you do. You’re wa- you’re burning hot!” You exclaimed, pressing your cold hands against his cheeks. 

Panic rises in Jinyoung and he instantly raised his hand, “Oh?” He paused, eyes wide as  presses his hand against his skin, “Am I?”

You stared at him for a second, searching for some sort of sarcasm in his actions but all you found was sincere panic. It made you want to laugh and question how gullible your brother was. 

“Yeah, you look a little..” You motioned to your face, fanning it lightly, “flushed”

Jinyoung tugged on his scarf uncomfortably, “No wonder I was feeling a little warm” 

“Oppa, hurry then!” in a swift move, you grabbed a hold of his wrist, trying your best not to roll your eyes,  “We’ve got to get you to the doctors now!” 

Once you’ve turned away from him, you shook your head in disbelief. 

“Babo-ya” you muttered under your breath, hoping that he wouldn’t hear but Jinyoung was much too interested in his non-existent fever.

 

*


The wait wasn’t long, but Jinyoung started to become feverish. He’s constantly pressing your hand to his forehead and he became agitated with the way his clothes were suffocating him.

“Jung Jinyoung” the receptionist called, holding his file to her chest and putting them in a slot by the door 

Standing up from your seat, you shook Jinyoung’s shoulder, pulling him from his frustrated estate. Instantly, he stood up to follow you. 

“Your usual doctor isn’t here, but we have a replacement if you don’t mind. He’s arrived from overseas and is said to be the best of his generation. Just wait inside, he’ll be in shortly” The receptionist informed you with a weak yet cheerful smile. Nodding your head, you bowed and thanked her with a small beam before entered the doctor’s office. It’s when you turn around that you find Jinyoung cowering behind you. 

“What exactly are you doing?” You asked once the door closes behind him. Jinyoung stood up straight and adjusted the scarf on his neck, mumbling incoherent words under his breath. 

“What?” You asked, reaching over and loosening his scarf. 

“I said,” He muttered, leaning down to talk into your ear. “I’m afraid” 

A laugh escaped your lips for a second before you paused and noticed the genuine fear in your brother’s eyes. Before you could reply, the door opened and a young man entered the room.

“It’s okay, I’m here for a reason right?” You smiled meekly at him before turning to the doctor. 

A tall man harbouring black rimmed glasses and a long white coat dawdled into the room carrying the same file the receptionist had only moments ago. You took a moment to glance at his face, a sense of familiarity flashing in your mind.  As he made his way to his black leather chair, you caught a glimpse of his tied back brown hair. 

“Hello, I’m Dr. CNU, I’ll be your doctor today. Please sit” 

Both you and Jinyoung sit down in the respected seats in front of his desk as Dr. CNU went through Jinyoung’s file. His mouth mumbled along with the details and for a second you noticed that his eyes had widened. The name kept ringing in your mind. CNU. But the receptionist had mentioned that he was a doctor from overseas, there was absolutely no possibility that you knew him right? You hadn’t ever thought about leaving the country. 

The silence is comfortable but you can feel tension and nerves radiating off Jinyoung. You glanced over at him, catching him wringing his hands anxiously, teeth gnawing on his bottom lip. You actually had to reach over and clasp your hand over his to comfort him. With the sudden action, Dr. CNU looked up, a fond smile on his face. 

“Nervous, Jinyoungie?” 

The nickname had shocked the both of you. They were hardly at the level of speaking so informally and even though Dr. CNU looked no older than Jinyoung, it was still quite unprofessional to speak to him in that manner

“Don’t remember me do you?” The man before them asked when he received no words from the both of you. Was Jinyoung supposed to remember him? 

“Ya! Jung Jinyoung, how could you be so rude?” Dr. CNU smiled, leaning back into his seat and dropping Jinyoung’s file onto the table. 

Jinyoung recovered from his momentary lapse and his mouth began to move soundlessly as his mind worked to figure out the man’s identity. You stared at him, still thoroughly confused with the whole situation but you notice the newfound light that broke through Jinyoung’s profile. 

“Shinwoo?!” He shrieked excitedly, “Shinwoo-ya! Is this really you? It’s been so long” Jinyoung laughed, standing up and walking over to Shinwoo who greeted him warmly with a hug. 

What?

“I know, it has. I never imagined seeing you like this, especially with your uh.. wife?” Shinwoo sent a smile in your direction. You almost didn’t notice it, obviously still confused over the fact that Jinyoung knew their supposed replacement doctor and the fact he posed that you were Jinyoung’s wife. 

“Wife?!” 

Shinwoo held his hands up in remorse at your sudden outburst, though his smile remained on his face. 

“Girlfriend?” Shinwoo offered once more with a shyer smile but all you did was sink further in your seat, hiding your face behind your scarf. Those glasses.. they were flashing in your mind, yet the person who wore them was still a blur. 

“Shinwoo-ya, you joker! That’s ______! Remember her? Hasn’t my baby sister grown up to be such a beautiful girl” Jinyoung grinned proudly, slapping his best friend’s arm lightly. Shinwoo’s eyes widened as his eyes scanned over you intently before his smile broke out into a beam. 

“What? That’s baby Jung?” 

“Baby Jung” Repeating him quietly, you shut your eyes, cringing at the nickname. Only one person called you that and you figured this was the same Shinwoo back in middle school. The Shinwoo that wouldn’t stop annoying you and teasing you. 

Shinwoo and your brother had been the best of friends ever since kindergarten. You remembered easily the days that Shinwoo would come home with Jinyoung to play which seemed to be almost every day. He would never fail to tease you, even throughout middle school. When Jinyoung was in high school, you didn’t see Shinwoo as much. He had been awfully smart, finishing school at the crisp age of sixteen. You hadn’t recognized him because of the fact he had left Korea as soon as he graduated and his hair wasn’t as light or long as it was today. But his teeth were the same, still white and goofy. 

“I’m home” Jinyoung announced as he took off his shoes. A tall dark haired boy followed him suit. You stared at them, eyes curved into a glare as you pressed your stuffed bunny closer to your chest. Jinyoung walked to you with a smile, patting your head lightly as he dropped his Spiderman bag on the floor.  

“Oppa is back from school but I’m going to play with my friend okay? So tell umma that when she comes home. This is oppa’s friend, Shinwoo” Jinyoung said as he crouched down to your height, tugging Shinwoo beside him. 

“Annyeong” The older boy squeaked, adjusting his glasses on his face. You observed him and the way his hair was perfectly cut behind his ears. Turning back to Jinyoung, you took his arm lightly.

“Oppa, can I play with you and Shinwoo oppa? I don’t want to wait here with Yeji unnie” 

Jinyoung looked up at Shinwoo, receiving a small smile in return. 

“Of course you can, no one likes being with Yeji noona” Jinyoung chuckled, taking your hand in his. 

~

You sat on the curb of the road, waiting for Jinyoung to pick you up. He was late which was definitely unlike him and the clouds over head became to form. The wind became stronger and with just your luck, you hadn’t brought your jacket that day. 

“What is an ugly thirteen year old doing by herself at this time of day?” A voice asked behind you. “You know, someone might snatch you off the road” 

“Shut up!” You scowled but he only laughed

“Jinyoung oppa is late” You sighed, hunching your shoulders as you rubbed your arms to keep you warm. Shinwoo sat beside you, resting his bag on his thighs as he stretched his growing legs out in front of him. 

“Yeah, he had detention for being late to class. He told me to accompany you here while you wait though” Shinwoo smiled slightly, taking his jacket off and draping it over your shoulders. 

“You don’t need to. I can wait by myself” You defended yourself despite hugging the jacket close to yourself, warmth radiating off of it. 

“Oh really? But I think I should wait here with you, since you have no thoughts on taking  my jacket off any time soon” He laughed lightly, igniting a rush of blood to your cheeks. 

“Fine, but only since I’m so cold” Thunder boomed over head and you felt yourself shrink closer towards Shinwoo, “I left my jacket at home” 

“I’m sure Jinyoung will be here soon” Shinwoo said reassuringly, leaning back on his palms. “And you can always use my jacket” 

When you open your mouth to shoot back a reply, thunder claps and a strike of lightning appeared before your eyes. Within seconds, rain poured down onto the two of you. Shinwoo grabbed a hold of your arm swiftly, leading you to shade under a tree. 

“Where is Jinyoungie oppa. I hope he doesn’t get wet” You shivered, craning your neck to see if Jinyoung was anywhere in sight. Shinwoo wrapped the jacket tightly around you causing you to jump.

“He’ll be here in no time. I’m sure he has an umbrella” The older boy offered you, patting your head lightly. 

After a moment of silence, filled only with the sound of rain hitting against the ground, heavy steps dawned on the two of you only to reveal a panting Jinyoung, drenched in water. 

“Oppa!”

“I’m sorry I’m late” He tried to breathe, hands on his knees. “Shinwoo, thank you for looking after my sister” Jinyoung coughed as droplets of water fell from his hair. 

Shinwoo squeezed his shoulder with a beam, “Any time” 

“We better get going” Jinyoung pressed, straightening himself before he held up his sweater over your head. 

“Wait!” 

Jinyoung paused, watching as you took the jacket off but Shinwoo stopped you, waving his hand in front of you.

“It’s fine, just keep the jacket. It’ll protect you from the rain” 

“Are you sure? I mean, you’ll freeze and your house is farther than ours” Jinyoung answered, pointing to Shinwoo’s bumpy arms. Shinwoo waved his hand off like it’s nothing once more. 

“Just go” The boy with the glasses grinned, holding his jacket out behind you as you slid your arms in hesitantly. 

“Thank you oppa” You mumble softly, affection spreading through your chest before Jinyoung began to set off. A part of you willed yourself to look back, and every time you did, Shinwoo’s figure became smaller but his smile never left his face. 

“You’ve changed so much since high school Shinwoo-ya! But I see you’ve kept the nickname huh? Look at your hair! It’s brown! And longer!. Your face is so much more handsome! Where did you come from?” Jinyoung teased, an arm still hooked around his shoulder despite the height difference. 

“The kids call me CNU” He explained with a smile, ignoring his best friend’s praises.

You looked over at him, eyes wide. Shinwoo was married? 

“Oh? You have kids?” Jinyoung exclaimed in shock but Shinwoo shook his head furiously as his cheeks tinted pink.

“No, I meant my patients” 

A part of you deflated, relieved that he wasn’t married. You weren’t too sure why though but you concluded that you didn’t want Shinwoo to live a perfect life, as selfish as it sounded. 

“Ah I see! Thought my best friend got married without inviting me to the wedding” Jinyoung replied happily, voicing his obvious concerned. 

“Never” Shinwoo assured him with a laugh. 

“And your glasses are much thicker, they make you look very intelligent” Jinyoung grinned sheepishly at the man before him, patting his chest lightly. 

“Ya, Jung Jinyoung! I’ve been wearing glasses since the day we first met. Are you that forgetful? Aigoo” Shinwoo laughed as he shook his head, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Only playing, only playing” Jinyoung beamed, “But when did you come back from America?! Who would’ve known huh? Meeting my best friend at a hospital. Woah, this is really daebak-”

You cut in just before he Jinyoung could continue his awkward ramble, obviously annoyed.  

“I apologize sincerely for breaking up the love fest, but can we get to business? We came here for a reason?” 

Shinwoo nodded, “Baby Jung’s right” he replied with a ghost of a smile, peeling Jinyoung from him gently before he took Jinyoung’s file and set it on his clipboard. 

“Alright Jinyoung, you’re up” He said,  clicking his pen and walking over to an uncomfortable looking bed. 

“Sit up here” Shinwoo commanded, patting the leather mattress lightly, eyes still on his clipboard to which Jinyoung followed his direction and propped himself up. You noticed that he’s a lot less nervous now that he’s sure that his best friend won’t hurt him. 

“Now I see that you’ve come here for a medical check up, that’s all?” 

“Yes.. uh- my father.. he passed away a few years ago so we want make sure to get regular check ups to avoid any complications” Jinyoung explained with an uneasy sigh. 

“Oh.. I’m sorry for your loss” Shinwoo breathed, patting his best friend’s back gently before he looked over at you and smiled lightly. Jinyoung gave him a small smile in thanks. 

“You have nothing to worry about Jinyoungie, medical check ups don’t hurt as much” Shinwoo murmured as he put his stethoscope into his ear, putting his clipboard down. 

“Okay, let’s get this show on the road”

*

It didn’t take long for Jinyoung, thankfully for him. All his worries were gone by the end of it and Shinwoo informed him that he did not have a fever at all. 

“Wait, so why was I getting hot then?” Jinyoung questioned as he jumped off the mattress. Shinwoo looked up from his clipboard with a grin. 

“For one, you began to believe you had a fever causing your body to react with your mind and second, you believed you had a fever because of the sudden change of environment. The hospital can get quite toasty, plus you have quite a few layers on” Shinwoo chuckled, pointing at the scarf, beanie and jackets stacked on the chair. 

“Oh, and I lied. Your forehead wasn’t warm at all. I just needed you to get checked up” You stuck your tongue out. Shinwoo turned to you, laughing lightly before Jinyoung slapped his arm. 

“I’ll have your results in a few weeks though” The doctor commented as his pen scratched against the paper. 

“Ya, Shinwoo-ya, we need to catch up. Just because you graduated before me, doesn’t mean you aren’t my best friend” Jinyoung slapped his arm once more with a pout. 

Shinwoo just laughed and nodded his head, “Alright, we’ll catch up tonight okay?” 

“Just like old times” Jinyoung muttered excitedly. Shinwoo nodded his head once more before he looked over at you.

"I'll see you tonight too right?" He asked with a smile. If you weren't so shocked by his request, you would've noticed the hopefulness in his features.

"Oh.. no, I have other plans" You stammered after clearing your throat. Jinyoung rolled his eyes, clucking his tongue as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"That's okay then" Shinwoo smiled

"No it's not actually. I'd rather her catch up with us than go out with her sorry excuse of a boyfriend. Jongin. I don't understand why you're even with him" Jinyoung huffed angrily. You shot him a look that had him scowling.

"Oppa" You grumbled, looking away and missing the hurt that flashed in Shinwoo's eyes.

"Oh sorry, his name is Kai. Not Jongin" Jinyoung commented rashly. Shinwoo cut in before the boy could say anything else.

"Ah.. that's fine, I mean you can't be Jinyoung's baby sister forever right?" Jinyoung huffed but Shinwoo continued, "Have fun with your boyfriend"

"Thank you" You emphasised, shooting a look at Jinyoung who scowled. A part of your mind questioned the strain in Shinwoo's voice when he wished you fun but you pushed it away. He only wanted to catch up right? Maybe you were in the wrong for declining. He was a friend right? Shinwoo had helped you throughout the years? Maybe missing one date with Kai wouldn't hurt.


Thank you for reading! First collab story so I hope you're generous with the comments and subscribes. The next chapter depends on whether or not you think the you should miss your date with Kai or not. Just comment what you think! Thank you :)