Betrayed

In My Head, In My Heart

Jonghyun gathered them all in the living room in the morning.  He lay back on the couch, propped up on pillows, though the position obviously frustrated him.  He was used to being in control, but now he still couldn’t sit up without the world spinning sickeningly.  His headache seemed to be better, judging by the amount of complaining he was able to keep up.  He still wore yesterday’s clothes; he was too uncoordinated as of yet to change, and refused to allow anyone to help him.  He had only grudgingly let Kyungsoo to carry him down out of bed to deliver the promised announcement about Kai.

“I’m sure you’re all wondering where Kai has gotten to,” he said, once he had everyone’s attention. There were nods.

“Well, steel yourselves, because you’re not going to like it when you find out.” 

Zitao and Sehun exchanged nervous glances.

“He betrayed us,” Jonghyun said bluntly.  “He was working with the scientists.  God only ing knows why, but he… he turned us in to them.”

For a moment everyone was still.  Zitao sagged slowly toward the floor, Sehun clutching his arm.  Chanyeol’s head jerked up.  “He couldn’t.” 

“Apparently he could,” Jonghyun said sharply.

“No, but-  Kai.  He was one of us.  He hated the scientists as much as any one of us.  Why would he-”

“Who knows why?  But he did.  Listen, I saw him with them.  They let me wake up for awhile, and a scientist came in with Kai to talk to me.”  Jonghyun paused, chest heaving.  “He tried to convince me to join them,” he spit out.

“But-”

“But ing nothing.  The scientists treated him like one of them.  He betrayed us, and I told the UN that if they saw him, they’d better tell him to stay the away from us.”

 

~

 

Sehun knocked lightly on Chanyeol's door.  Eventually the other responded, and he quietly turned the knob and went in.

Chanyeol lay on his bed, absently flipping through a magazine.  His mind felt preoccupied.

"Chanyeol," Sehun said gently, "I need to ask for your help."

"What with?"

"I need to find Kai."

Chanyeol stiffened, then gave Sehun a sharp look.  "Why?" he asked curtly.

Sehun lowered his eyes.  "I need to speak with him."

"No, you don't."

"I believe we may have... misunderstood him, what happened with the scientists."

"Jonghyun saw him with the scientists.  They were working together.  I'd say that his... betrayal is a fact."  His voice was flat, almost managing to keep out the pain.

"Yes, but perhaps we missed an important detail."

"You really think so?"

"I... am unsure either way.  But I want to speak to him again."

Chanyeol looked away, mouth thinning to a tight line.  "Too bad."

"Chanyeol, he was your friend, you found -"

"Was my friend."  This time he couldn't keep the pain out of his voice.  "Please leave."

"Chanyeol -"

"I'm not helping you, Sehun.  Go away."

Sehun left in frustration, heading back to his room, where Zitao still spent most of his time. 

"What's wrong?" Zitao asked instantly.

"Chanyeol will not help me find Kai."

Zitao looked down.  "I still don't think you should."

"Zitao... We need to make sure that we are correct about him before we cast him out."

I never trusted him, Zitao was thinking.  And then because of him I had to go through-

"Zitao."  Sehun cut off his train of thought.  "You spent most of those days asleep.  I will not deny it was a bad experience.  But I spent the whole time feeling my heart torn out, wishing I would die."  He paused.  "If anyone has a reason to hate Kai, it is me.  But what if we wronged him?"

"Why would you think that?" Zitao burst out.

Sehun looked away.  "I want to speak with him directly.  Read his mind," he murmured.  "Jonghyun told us what happened, but I think we may be missing something.  I didn't think of it that morning.  I was distracted.  It was... the morning we... kissed."

He felt Zitao immediately startle and withdraw.  He'd been like this ever since that morning; unwilling to dwell on what had happened between them, and certainly unwilling talk about it or repeat it.

"Anyway," Sehun continued.  "I want to give him another chance, and I need to speak with him.  Do you trust me?"

Zitao looked mutinous, but replied eventually.  "Yes.  If it's important to you, I trust you."

 

~

 

Minho answered the phone.

"Hello Minho, this is Sehun, Kai's brother."

"Sehun?"  Minho was surprised.  "What do you want?" he asked brusquely. 

"I need to speak with Kai.  Is he with you?  Or do you know where he may be?"

"Oh, want him back, do you?"

"I need to speak with him," Sehun repeated.

"I'm not sure I should let you."

"Excuse me?"

"Listen, I don't know what he did to you people, because he won't talk to me.  But I've never seen someone so miserable.  He's making me crazy.  Whatever he did, he's sorry, and I doubt he hurt you as much as you hurt him."

Sehun was quiet for a moment.  "I think we may have wronged him.  I need to speak with him, please."

"Fine, I'll give him the phone.  But you'd better ing not make it worse."

"Sehun?" Kai's voice made Sehun's heart clench - it was full of hope, but not enough to make the pain.  He sounded awful; hoarse.

"Kai... I need to speak with you.  In person.  Could you come here?"

"No."

Sehun was taken aback by the immediate refusal.  "I want to help, I think, Kai... but it has to be in person.  Could you appear in my room?  I will not tell anyone that you are here."

"No, Sehun.  I don't want to risk running into anyone at home.  Jonghyun would kill me.  Chanyeol..."

"I will come to you then.  What is Minho's address?"

 

~

 

Sehun convinced Kyungsoo to drive him to Minho's apartment.  Zitao stayed behind; his nervousness in general and especially regarding Kai would only be a liability.  When they arrived, Kyungsoo refused to go in.  

"I was willing to let you talk to him, Sehun, but I'm not ready to see him.  I'll leave the car here and walk down to that coffee shop on the corner."

Sehun nodded and went in, to be tersely greeted by Minho.  He insisted on speaking with Kai alone.

Kai's thoughts were roiling.  Sehun sat a couple feet away from him.  Despite Kai's obvious misery, Sehun still felt trepidation looking at him - as far as he knew, still, Kai was a traitor.  It was his desire to be fair more than anything that had brought him here.

"Kai," he said finally.  "Be calm.  Focus.  I want you to think back to everything that happened.  Just the memories.  Talk, or do not talk; whatever you wish.  I will be listening."

Kai nodded and closed his eyes, hands clutching together nervously in his lap.  Sehun's eyes closed as well, and he listened.

Kai stood in a darkened office, just the desk lamp , rifling through some papers.  The filed was titled Subject 217.  Zitao.

14/1/13  Subject captured.  Brought to facility...

January 13.  The day they had lost Zitao.  Kai's heart beat faster as he continued to skim the notes.    

14/1/15  Subject still must be kept sedated at all times.  It is likely he is still unable to teleport great distances, but this should not be tested until subject is brought back to main facility.

January 15.  That was the day the agent came from the UN and told the family that Zitao was dead.  

The last note was left on January 17.  That was just two days ago.  And if Zitao wasn't dead two days ago... he must still be alive.

Kai searched the building for him with no luck.  He was forced to leave in the early hours of the morning, lest the scientists come back and find him.

He went back the next night.  This time, he did find Zitao.  He was alive.  God, he was alive!  And so were the guards outside his room.

"Hello, 222."  Kai had been ushered into a room with the man that clearly ran the operation here.  He fought back the urge to teleport out.  If he did that, it would never help them get Zitao out.

"We're very happy to see our favorite back."

"I'm sure you are."

"We saw you on the cameras, snooping around last night.  So you found 217."

"What are you going to do to him."  Kai's voice was flat.

"We're going to take him back home.  We wish you to come with us as well."

"And why would I want to do that?"

The scientists leaned forward, folding his hands.  "So you can help us."

"Help you?"

"Yes.  Help us when we need you.  Nothing too hard.  Just little missions.  You would be rewarded."

"Oh, so you're done experimenting on us, then?"  Kai couldn't keep the sarcasm out of his voice.

"Yes," the man said seriously.  "But 222, we were never too harsh with you.  You are our most valuable asset."

"I'm quite sure I am.  But what if I like this life better?"

The scientist scoffed.  "If you come with us, you can become a very important man. Each mission would earn you more money; you would have whatever you wanted.  A big house, cars, property... fame, power... any woman you desired...  We have designed you to be perfect, and that is what you are.  Come fulfill what you were made for.  Come with us."

Kai pretended to consider the offer, but inside, he felt sick.  It's true that his life with the scientists hadn't been particularly harsh.  Oh sure, they'd hurt him.  But not nearly as much as the others.  How could they risk such a thing?  He could teleport.  He could have escaped at any time.

But outside... he had discovered there was something more important than himself and his own happiness.  Family.  The love of a family.  Sure, he still acted like a spoiled brat sometimes.  But... their happiness was the most important thing now.  He wasn't interested in his old life.  He wanted to stay with his family.  He would fight for his brothers.

"Will you let Zitao go if I go with you?"  If that was what it took, so be it.  Besides, he could always escape again.

"Zitao?"  The scientist's brow furrowed.  "Are you referring to 217?"

"Yes," Kai forced out.  God, he didn't miss being called by a number.

"No," the man answered Kai's question.  "We put much effort into all of you.  And all of you have the same chance at wealth and power and happiness with us.  Like I said, we are done with the... tests.  Now you simply need to accept our offer, and occasionally work for us.  If you can bring the others here, that will all be yours.  I promise, your lives will be far better than they ever have been before."

In the end, Kai agreed to help.  It was the only thing he could think of to try and get Zitao back.  

"Tomorrow night," he told them, "I will bring everyone here."

Sehun withdrew his concentration for a moment, looking at Kai.

"You did not wish to agree to the scientists' plan," he said quietly.  He tried to keep the hope out of his voice.  Perhaps Kai hadn't them...  But he still clearly remembered Kai's unsympathetic voice, back at the offices where the scientists had kept them hostage, telling them to increase the drug in Baekhyun's food.  There was still missing information here.

"No, I didn't want to join them," Kai agreed, voice wobbling a little.  "I had to.  I couldn't think of anything else.  We needed to get Zitao out."

Sehun nodded.  "But why not call the police, or the UN?"

Kai's mouth opened, then shut.  "Why not..."  He groaned, putting his face in his hands.  "I never even thought of it," he admitted, voice muffled through his fingers.  "I can't believe... but we never work with them!"  He looked up at Sehun with a pleading expression.

Oh yes, Sehun understood.  Jonghyun was strictly against working or even talking with the UN (or, indeed, anyone outside the family).  In a stressful situation, the family never turned anywhere but to each other.

"But still, what if I had called the police?" Kai continued.  "I wouldn't be surprised if they killed Zitao just to teach us a lesson.  Let's face it, he's not useful to them.  He can't control his ability and he can't withstand any kind of stress."

Sehun nodded again.  "Just go on with your story," he advised.  Kai nodded and closed his eyes again.

"Tomorrow night," he told the scientists, and he disappeared.

He appeared in Jonghyun's bedroom.  "We need to go now.  Before they expect me and have a chance to gather reinforcements."

Everyone was woken, piled into the car.  They went to the office park.  .  There were more guards and people there than before.  Still, this was their best chance...  Chanyeol and Junmyeon created a diversion.  Sehun, Kai, Jonghyun, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo snuck in.  They found Zitao.  They were captured.

The scientists congratulated Kai and themselves on a job well done.  Now they had all their little experiments back.

What could Kai do?  He had to pretend to work with them.  He was the only one among the family who was free, now.  He needed to think of another way to get them out.

It was a long day, as he stuck with the scientists, trying to glean as much information as he could.  He was tested to the limit, trying to pretend he was pleased with the way things were going.

They let him visit Jonghyun, briefly.  "Listen to me, Jonghyun.  They don't want to hurt us."  He tried to get the message across without saying it; there was a guard right in the room with them.  Jonghyun, he thought desperately, can't you understand?  They don't want to hurt us.  If you pretend to go along with them, that will be two of us free, and we'll have a better chance to help the family escape.  But Jonghyun was too angry; he'd already formed his conclusion about Kai.  So Kai had to try again.

He figured out where the food was being made the next day.  If he could just make sure the drug wasn't put in the food, or switch plates, then he would have some of his brothers awake, and they could help.  But he had to be strategic about it.  He would go for Kyungsoo, Jonghyun, and Sehun first.  Kyungsoo could help carry the unconscious bodies out with his strength; Jonghyun could help plan; Sehun's mind-reading skills would be invaluable. Next would be Chanyeol; certainly the ability to set things on fire could be helpful.  Zitao and Baekhyun, now maybe he wouldn't bother waking them up at all.  With Zitao's nervousness and Baekhyun's rage, they were more likely to be a liability.

So he snuck to the kitchenette, watching through the window.  He couldn't get in around the scientist preparing the meals, but if he was careful enough, he could teleport in and out and go unnoticed when the man's back was turned.  He was putting little vials of clear liquid over the food.  If Kai could dump the vial out and replace it with water...

He went and got himself a paper cup, filling it from one of the water jugs, then snuck back to the kitchen.  First was Junmyeon's plate, and Kai wasn't quick enough to stop the second man, who was taking the plates to the rooms.  

Next was Zitao's.  Kai kept still.  No point risking everything to free him right now.

After that was Sehun's plate.  Heart racing, Kai teleported behind the man, dumping the little vial of sedative down the drain, quickly refilling it with water and replacing it on the counter.

His heart hammered against his ribs, but he wasn't seen, and the second man took Sehun's drug-free plate away.  

Next was Jonghyun's plate, and again Kai succeeded.

Then Chanyeol's, but Kai held still.  He was getting too nervous; this was too risky.  Chanyeol would just have to wait for now.

After that was Kyungsoo.  Kai teleported in, picking up the little flask-

"Hey!" the scientist cried, startled.  "What are you doing?"

"I-"  Kai whipped around, nearly dropping the vial.  The scientist's eyes narrowed.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I- I'm helping," Kai said, trying to make his voice sound bright, and not just scared.

"Oh, really?"

"Yes.  You're doing Baekhyun's - I mean, 214's - plate, right?  You should probably give him  an extra helping of drugs.  He's unruly.  Best keep him sleeping until we're safely across the ocean."  .  They caught him.  If he could just convince them...

It didn't work.  Before Kai could react, the scientist had approached him, forcing the contents of another flask down his throat.  Everything went black.  The next time he woke up, he was in the custody of the UN; his family was free, and they hated him.

"That about ends the story," Kai said hoarsely.  He opened his eyes to see Sehun's, filled with tears.

"You were helping us the whole time.  I could feel your emotions in those memories.  You never betrayed us."

"I never did," Kai repeated, voice soft.  "How could you guys seriously think that I would?  You're... you're my world now."  He looked down.

Sehun uncrossed his legs and moved closer to Kai, kneeling in front of him.  Gently, he wrapped his arms around his friend, one hand behind his head, drawing him close.

"I am so sorry," he whispered.  "I am so sorry we doubted you."

 

-----------------------------

You get some Kai subplot.  Hope that's ok!

Phew!  Just wrote this whole chapter this morning.  Usually I can't make myself do that.

Pwease comment, it motivates me to get things done faster! :3