The Game

Deadboy

 

He didn’t have to wait long.
 
Now, the killer seemed to spend a significant portion of his time in dark, smoky clubs, but not by choice. Every seconds he spent in a place like that was ordered by the organisation, planned meticulously by Yukwon’s perfectionist brain.
 
Not this time, though. This time, Yukwon just wanted an escape.
 
That’s why he was out in public, open, unprotected, and clouding his mind with strong liquor. That’s why he had no defenses up when a hand landed on his shoulder and a body slid into the stool next to him.
 
Out of the corner of his eye, Yukwon saw the barman slide Minhyuk a glass, and the raven-haired man turned to face the killer.
 
“You come here often?”
 
Yukwon snorted a laugh into his glass.
 
“You sound like you’re trying to pick me up.” The Cat turned to Minhyuk with a smirk, and the black-haired man let out a short laugh. He felt the hand on his shoulder inch towards the exposed skin of Yukwon’s neck, and an involuntary shiver shocked through his body.
 
“Who says I’m not?”
 
The velvety tone resounded around Yukwon’s brain, and he had to bite his lip to suppress a blush.
 
Stupid, stupid, stupid. The killer had to reclaim control.
 
Yukwon looked back down at his drink, and the mark chuckled before sliding his hand off the killer’s shoulder.
 
“You know, Yukwon,” There was a pause, and The Cat held his breath as he waited for the boy to finish. “I like you”. The killer heard the smile in the mark’s voice, heard the soft thump as he set his glass down onto the bar. He forced himself not to be surprised at the comment and thought for a second.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
The mark took another sip of his drink, and as Yukwon turned to face him, he tried to ignore the shine the liquid left on Minhyuk’s bottom lip.
 
“You’re interesting, different, y’know?” The mark waved his hand about vaguely, and Yukwon felt a genuine smile tug at the corners of his lips. The killer was about to respond, when Minhyuk continued. “And you’re also the first of my killers to actually trust me.”
 
The smile faded as fast as it had come, and Yukwon sighed
 
“You’re still so sure about that.”
 
Minhyuk laughed, swirling the golden liquid around in his glass.
 
“Of course, and if I remember correctly, you never denied it.”
 
“I don’t trust you.” Were the first words that left Yukwon’s lips, and Minhyuk arched a delicate eyebrow.
 
“That right there, Yukwon, is denial. Come on, I can even prove it to you.
 
Yukwon pushed his drink aside, watching the other man warily.
 
“How?”
 
The mark smirked before easing himself off his bar stool. Goosebumps rose on Yukwon’s skin, and he fought to stand his ground as Minhyuk slid behind him.
 
“One; you leave your back unguarded when there’s no proof that I’m not carrying a weapon.” Warm fingers trailed down the back of Yukwon’s shirt, sending fire shooting through the killer’s veins at every contact point.
 
Yukwon gulped, and Minhyuk continued.
 
“Two,” The dark-haired boy drawled, and a sudden puff of hot air hit the back of the killer’s neck. “You let me this close to you.” Yukwon felt lips brush against the shell of his ear. “That’s not protocol, surely?”
 
The hitman sensed, silently willing the mark to just get the hell away from him. He gritted his teeth, forcing the words out through them.
 
“I never follow protocol.”
 
A low chuckle vibrated against the skin of Yukwon’s neck as he felt the mark’s lips inch closer. Hands, warm and heavy and solid, slid down to Yukwon’s waist.
 
“I can see that.” The words were barely a whisper, sending chills down the killer’s spine. “See, you trust me.”
 
The invasive palms slid down to the top of his thighs, and Yukwon squirmed away from the unwelcome warmth. His stomach twisted, and Yukwon had the unsettling realisation that the sensation was not due to fear.
 
“Three,” Minhyuk purred, and Yukwon slowly dipped his hand into his jacket pocket. The mark continued regardless. “You haven’t even registered that I might only be doing this...”
 
The mark paused as Yukwon turned unhurriedly on his stool to face him. Minhyuk seemed pleased with this development, and moved into the triangle Yukwon’s legs formed.
 
“...to distract you.” The man finished, hand pressing against Yukwon’s chest. The killer counted down silently as Minhyuk’s head began lowering into his personal space.
 
Three...
 
Yukwon could feel the man’s body heat, the scent of his expensive aftershave and the effects of strong alcohol fogging his brain.
 
Two...
 
The killer’s fingers closed around the object in his jacket pocket, smoothing fondly over the metal.
 
One...
 
Minhyuk was close now, pressing against him, whispers of breath ghosting over Yukwon’s cheeks and lips. He was too close, far, far too close, but Yukwon had the upper hand here. He was in control.
 
Now.
 
The knife was out of his pocket before Minhyuk could step back, but suddenly a tight grip closed around his wrist. Yukwon gasped as fingers pressed into bone, and glanced down at the blade between them. The mark had caught his hand as it forward, knife-tip poised above Minhyuk’s thigh.
 
.
 
The mark stepped back, away from the killer, and breathed a deep sigh.
 
“It’s such a shame.” He shook his head, eyes focused on the knife and tightening his grip as Yukwon tried moving his arm. The killer watched, eyes wide with fear, as the mark used his free hand to pry the hilt from Yukwon’s fingers.
 
The hand on his wrist remained.
 
“Get off me.” The Cat growled low in his throat, all previous feelings now replaced with a burning hatred for the other man. Minhyuk spun the knife around his fingers, letting Yukwon’s arm fall back to his side.
 
“Just when we were getting along so well, too. I’ll tell you what, Mr Killer, I’m pretty disappointed.” The mark smirked.
 
Yukwon growled again, enticing a playful laugh from Minhyuk.
 
“So you finally decided to kill me?”
 
The killer rolled his eyes. Of course that’s the first conclusion the mark would come to.
 
“No.”
 
This surprised Minhyuk slightly, and he tilted his head to the side as he pocketed Yukwon’s knife.
 
“No?”
 
“I finally decided to threaten you.”
 
Because really, he wasn’t going to make the hit today. He just wanted to injure, to startle a little, to make it known that the hitman wasn’t to be played with.
 
But this mark was faster, smarter, and a deep-rooted concern began to ignite in Yukwon’s brain.
 
Minhyuk smirked, grabbing his drink from the bar and finishing it in one gulp. When he stepped forward again, his breath reeked of whisky.
 
“Don’t be cute, Yukwon. It doesn’t suit you.”
 
The killer hissed and shoved Minhyuk backwards, watching with slight satisfaction as the man stumbled and almost fell. He jumped off his barstool and stalked past the amused mark, pausing as he reached the doorway.
 
“Don’t think you’ve won.”
 
“Oh believe me,” The raven-haired man leant against the bar, “I don’t. I’m just merely enjoying the game.”
 
 
-------
 
 
The killer recieved a text the next day from the number on Minhyuk’s card.
 
’I enjoyed our little meeting yesterday, Mr. Hitman. Why don’t we do it again? Besides, I have something of yours that I need to give back.’
 
Yukwon read the text through once, twice, three times, before he threw the device across the room.
 
He didn’t care that there was no hidden meaning in the words. He didn’t care that Minhyuk wanted to see him again. He didn’t care that the black-haired man had his knife.
 
He cared that he’d been so obvious. He cared that Minhyuk had seen what he was doing and stopped him. He cared that the mark now felt he was better than Yukwon, that he was in control of Yukwon.
 
Nobody had control of Yukwon. Nobody. Not even the organisation.
 
That’s why he decided to abandon every single rule he’d had drilled into his head when he joined. That’s why he decided to ignore every single personal rule he’d made himself. That’s why he agreed to meet Minhyuk again, but not for a confrontation.
 
This time, he was really going in for the hit.
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Wooo!
 
I wrote most of this in class, so apologies if some bits seem disjointed. I really, really love writing this story, and I hope you like reading it :)

If you do, PLEASE comment and/or subscribe, I'll love you forever!
 
Big things are starting to go down here, and I am so excited about the rest of this story.