The Challenge

A Taste Of Love

"You can't be serious?" Sophia repeated the question for the hundredth time since the pink haired man had spoken to her. 

"But I am," Jiyong answered.  Sophia watched him pick up his cup of coffee and finish the last of it.  "I'm quite serious."

"I don't even know your name," she lied smoothly.  Sophia didn't want to admit it much less tell the man sitting on the other side of the counter that she hadn't forgotten him or his name.  Rolling her eyes, Sophia glared at the skinny man.  "I don't know you."  That had been the truth - she didn't know anything about the man.  But I'd like to.  Shocked at the thought, Sophia could feel her cheeks burn with shame.

"Well that's an easy fix.  I'm Kwon Jiyong," he replied smugly.  Kwon.  Kwon Jiyong.  Even his full name was attractive.  Sophia itched to whisper it quietly just to taste his name on her tongue. 

"Not going to say anything?" Ignoring the teasing tone in his voice, Sophia bit her bottom lip and busied herself with wiping down the already clean counter.  "That's ok.  I already know your name."

Sophia's head snapped and she stared at Jiyong.  She didn't try to hide her shock from him.  "What?"

"I said I already know your name."

"You're lying," she whispered.  "You're just trying to irritate me."

"I'm not lying."

"Then what's my name?" she challenged him.

"Sophia Scott," Jiyong answered arrogantly and Sophia arched an eyebrow.  "Am I succeeding?"

"How do you know my full name and are you succeeding with what?"

"Irritating you."

"You began irritating me the minute you walked through the door," Sophia snarled.  "And I'd really appreciate it if you would walk back out and never return."

"That's not true at all," Jiyong disputed.  "The first time I walked through the door you were sleeping and tonight you were just standing there with your eyes closed.  You didn't even know I was here both times.  How could I irritate you with my presence if you weren't even aware of it?"

"I wasn't sleeping," she protested.

"But you weren't working," he pointed out and she scowled.

"I own this bookstore.  But you didn't answer my other question.  How do you know my full name?"

"I've got my sources."

"Really?"  Crossing her arms, Sophia leaned up against the other counter and glared at Jiyong.  "What else do you know about me?"  Jiyong opened his mouth to speak and was immediately interrupted by Sophia.  "Wait.  I don't want to know what you know about me."

"I don't know very much except that you're twenty four years old and before you took over the bookstore, your uncle owned it."

"That's it?  It looks like your 'source' didn't get much dirt on me," Sophia retorted.

"I also heard that your uncle left the bookstore in a mountain of debt and you've been dealing with it since you took over."  Jiyong tried to sound nonchalant with his last tidbit of information as he played with the empty coffee cup.  He heard her gasp and it caused him to look up.  Jiyong mentally kicked himself when he found her eyes swimming with tears.  Her lips trembled as she fought for control.  Sophia blinked back the tears and Jiyong watched her hazel eyes spark with fury.  "That's all I know."

"Somehow I don't believe that," Sophia snarled.  "What else did your little minions tell you about me?"

"That's all I know," Jiyong replied and she scoffed.  "I'm telling you the truth but that's why I'm here.  I can help you."

"I don't need your help," she replied stubbornly.

"I think you do."

"And I don't care what you think.  I'm not going to be one of your charity cases, so you can take your little rich self somewhere else and help someone a lot less unfortunate than me.  I've been doing fine for the last year and I don't need some rich snot coming in and trying to help me because you're bored and don't know what to spend your money on," Sophia spat out angrily.  "Or better yet, go spend it on that spoiled brat you call a girlfriend."

"I already told you she isn't my girlfriend anymore and you're not a charity case," Jiyong grumbled.  This was not going as he had planned.  "Speaking of Eun Jung.  You really do owe me."

"I don't care what you have going on in that small mind of yours - what did you say?  I owe you?  The hell I do," Sophia exclaimed.  "What do you mean, I owe you?"

"As I was saying earlier," Jiyong replied with an exaggerated sigh.  "I have a deal to offer you."

"I don't care about your deal.  You can take that deal of yours and shove it -"

"Would you just listen to me?"

"No.  There's no point in listening to you and this ridiculous offer you have for me.  What I'd like to know is why you think I owe you."

"Well I'm single now and I am holding you accountable for my newfound relationship status."

"Wait a minute," Sophia exclaimed incredulously.  "You cannot seriously be blaming me for your lack of a girlfriend."  She waited for him to respond.  All she got was silence.  "You are blaming me.  Of all the insane things I've heard.  This really takes the cake.  I can't believe that you're blaming me."

"Yep, I'm holding you responsible for it," Jiyong stated rather smugly.  Much to his surprise, he watched her throw her head back and laugh.  Jiyong stilled at the musical sound vibrating through her and he smiled.  It was full, rich and warm and he wanted to hear it more often.

"Oh that was good," Sophia said in between smaller bouts of laughter and she wiped away the tears that clung to the corners of her eyes.  "I really needed that.  'You hold me responsible.'  That's hilarious."  Sophia attempted to stop the beginning of another explosion of laughter threatening to bubble out of her only to give up and she clutched to her stomach.

Trying to hide his own amusement, Jiyong bit the inside of his cheek to stop himself in joining her merriment.  He sat back, furrowed his brows, crossed his arms and waited silently for Sophia to finish.  Jiyong took this time to study the girl standing on the other side of the counter.  Living in a world choked full of entertainers, Sophia wasn't gorgeous but in his opinion she was beautiful.  She was different.  She was short.  Jiyong guessed she wasn't taller than five four.  From what Jiyong could see, she had curves in all the right places.

Two weeks ago, Jiyong was positive her hair was plain and dark but up close he could see that he had been mistaken.  With the bright lights hanging above, Jiyong could see that her hair was a very rich shade of brown.  As Sophia continued to giggle and shake her head, Jiyong could see that she had natural reddish brown and black highlights scattered throughout her hair.  They shined while the florescent lights from above played with her hair.  Everything about her was unique - Jiyong thought.  Tonight, her hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail.  There were a few loose strands of hair that had escaped and framed her heart shaped face.  He wanted so much to reach over and tuck them back behind her ear but he knew that if he did that - she'd stop laughing and Jiyong wanted to keep listening to it.

Sophia's giggles slowly came to an end and found herself studying the man sitting across from her.  He was confusing.  He had sat back into the chair with his arms crossed.  Everything screamed that he was angry - probably with her - but what was even more puzzling was the smile playing on his pink lips.  His brows were knitted and he was staring above her head.  He looked so lost in thought and Sophia really wanted to know what he was thinking.  Leaning forward, she rested her elbow on the counter and palmed her chin.  She eyed Jiyong with curiosity.  He's extremely good looking, thought Sophia.  He was rather pale but she knew that having milky white skin was considered beautiful in Korea.  His brown eyes were full of mystery and inviting.  Sophia noted that he had broad shoulders but he definitely needed to eat more.  The man was too skinny.

Jerking out of his admiration, Jiyong realized that she had stopped laughing.  He frowned.  He didn't like the silence.  Looking down, he found himself being the subject of Sophia's stare and Jiyong grinned.  Sitting up, Jiyong bent forward and whispered, "Do you like what you see?"

Sophia jumped at his voice and moved away from the counter.  She ignored the fact that his voice was causing a sensation of warmth to spread through her body.  "You know Kwon Jiyong, you're too smug for your own good."  Sophia paused.  She liked the way it felt when she said his name.

"You can call me Jiyong and I like the way you say my name," Jiyong spoke.  Sophia's eyes grew as she wondered if he could read her mind.  Turning away from the man completely, she went into the back and caused Jiyong to his head inquisitively.  Pursing his lips, he fiddled with his fingers and looked around, all the while wondering where she had gone and what she was doing.  After five minutes of sitting alone in the bookstore, Jiyong checked his phone and was surprised to find a message from his group member, Choi Seunghyun.  Flicking the screen, he opened the message and frowned as he read it.  Call me as soon as you get this.  Calling Seunghyun would have to wait.  Jiyong pocketed the phone and listened to the song playing overhead.  He smiled as he recognized the singer.  It was one of Youngbae's favorite singers. 

I want you now, I'll show you how.  I can be the man you need me to be.  I've been around, but now I've found.  That you're the only one for me.

Jiyong nodded along to the beat until it came to a slow end and silence engulfed the bookstore.  He could hear her move around from where he sat and the quiet beep of a microwave and it confused him even more.  What the hell is she doing back there, Jiyong thought.  He opened his mouth to say something but stopped as she walked back into the front of the store with a plate in her hands.  The smell of cinnamon hit him before he could register what was on the plate.  His mouth watered slightly and he gulped down the saliva when she placed the plate holding two overly large muffins in front of him.  "What is this?"

"These are called muffins," she retorted sarcastically.

"I know what they're called.  I meant what kind are they?"

"Jieun loves to bake.  She made these today and they're my absolute favorite.  They're Cinnamon Sugar Carmel."

"Caramel?  Where's the caramel?"  Jiyong asked as he inspected the muffin.

"You'll see," Sophia assured him and she smirked when he arched an eyebrow at her.

"Are you sure you didn't put something in these to make me sick?"

"Maybe I did.  Maybe I didn't.  You'll never know until you try them."  Sophia snickered as Jiyong cautiously picked at the muffin and popped a piece of it into his mouth.  He chewed slowly and she refilled the empty coffee mug sitting in front of him. 

"There are a lot of people who love me.  I'll send them to you if you make me sick.  There will be a ton of girls after your head for hurting their precious oppa."

"Oh no," she stated sarcastically while clutching her heart.  "A bunch of girls after me.  Of course it'd be a bunch of girls.  They probably didn't know any better and trusted that you'd keep every promise you made them.  They probably didn't know they were being drawn into your trap before it was too late.  It's ok.  I'll do the dirty work and tell them that they're precious oppa is a man ."

"You'd be lying," he declared before taking another bite. 

"I don't think so," Sophia replied dryly.

"But you would be.  Lying that is.  Not that it's any of your business; I've only been in a handful of serious relationships and I don't have to woo them.  They just love me.  I can't help it if they fall under my spell."

"As I've mentioned before.  You are too smug for your own good.  Someone has been feeding you too much bull.  Just so you know, not everyone so easily affected by your charm."

"I bet you're already in love with me," he challenged and Sophia laughed.

"You're a funny man.  Unfortunately, it takes more for me than a handsome man dressed in expensive clothes."

"So you think I'm handsome and you see me as a man.  See, you're already in love with me."

"Actually, you're a bit too feminine looking for my taste," she shot back.

"Feminine?  There's nothing feminine about me."  Jiyong took a bigger bite only to stop in mid bite and stare at Sophia who was trying not to laugh at the look of confusion on his face.  Finishing off the bite, Jiyong slowly pulled the muffin away and stared at the caramel oozing out from the middle.  Astonished, he looked back up at Sophia.

"There's your caramel," she pointed out before pressing her lips together to stop herself from laughing.

"So there it is."  Jiyong chewed quietly and studied Sophia.  There was a hint of pink to her cheeks and it only enhanced her beauty.  Her skin was flawless and Jiyong wondered if it was as soft as it looked.  Much to his delight, she was smiling.  It wasn't forced or fake.  It was a genuine smile and he didn't know why but he wanted her to continue to smile and he wanted to be the reason behind every single one.  Trailing up, he found her eyes sparkling brightly and he felt a sense of excitement rush through him.  The sadness he had spied in them earlier was gone but Jiyong knew it was only for the moment.  He didn't want it to disappear for awhile.  He had this unexplainable urge to rid her of anything that caused her pain.

"Well, I'm sorry to tell you this.  It's closing time," Sophia stated.  It had actually been later than closing time.  About half an hour later.  She hadn't noticed it until now.  "I'll pack these for you."

Without waiting for a reply from Jiyong, Sophia picked up the plate and quickly packed up the muffins.  Returning the now boxed goods to him, she picked up the coffee mug.  Sophia followed behind Jiyong after he accepted the box and walked out the door.  Locking it behind him, she went back to her routine.  Silently she rinsed the mug and plate and slipped them into the dishwasher.  Automatically, Sophia selected the right cleaning bottle and began to clean the counters but Sophia's mind wasn't on cleaning.  It wasn't on the stack of bills in her purse either.  It was on a certain skinny pink haired man.  She couldn't understand why there was pang of sadness in the pit of her stomach or why she wanted the night to last just a little bit longer.  She had had fun tonight.  Sophia hated to admit it but she felt some kind of comfort from Jiyong.  It was odd because she didn't know anything him and yet he was able to make her relax.  For the first time since she had taken over her uncle's business, she didn't worry about anything.  She was able to laugh and converse freely.  She had felt completely at ease with him.

Twenty minutes later, Sophia surveyed the little shop.  Reaching down, Sophia pulled out her purse and threw it onto the counter.  She looked around the bookstore anxiously and began to check everything over once again.  It was a nervous habit of hers that had begun shortly after she had started managing the store.  In the beginning she would spend hours going through the shop to make sure that all the windows and doors were locked, that the stove in back was turned off, the counters were wiped down and that things were put away properly.  She had done this repeatedly even though she knew everything was turned off and wiped clean.  It wasn't even just inside the shop.  She would have to lock and relock the front door and walk away.  Sophia recalled moments where she would be standing outside her apartment building and turn back around because she was worried she had forgotten to turn off the lights.  She would make the six lock trek back to the bookstore just to see that the lights were all off.  Slowly she had begun to relax and the hours became less and less. 

Tonight was a bit different.  It felt different.  Unlike thirty minutes before, a sense of panic was beginning to set through her and she knew the stress of everything was beginning to eat away at her again.  Stepping back into the kitchen, she played with the dials of the stove to feel that they were all turned off.  They all were.  Sophia rubbed her shaky palms against the jeans; she welcomed the feel of denim.  She walked past the dishwasher and remembered the mug and plate.  With a sigh, she stopped and pulled them out.  Quickly, she washed, dried and put them away.  Yawning, she looked around and decided to circle the shop one more time. 

Jiyong had intended to stay out in the snow and wait for her to make her way out but as time ticked away, the cold seeped through the fashionable sweater and jeans he was wearing until he couldn't take it anymore and slipped into his Bentley.  Pulling out his phone, he found another urgent message from Seunghyun.  Sighing, he scrolled through his phone and selected the eldest member's name.  Jiyong chewed his finger nail as he waited for the older one to answer.

"Jiyong-ah, where are you?"  Jerking the phone from his ear, he scowled as Seunghyun continued to yell.  "Jiyong."

"Yeah, hyung?"  Jiyong tapped along to the song playing softly on the radio. 

"What are you doing?"  The eldest member of the group had the deepest voice and had the ability to make girls swoon.  But right now, Seunghyun's voice was sharp and cold - much like the weather.

"Oh you know," he responded with a grin.  "Just hanging out."

"With who?"

"No one right now," he answered honestly.  "So Seunghyun-hyung, what is so important that I had to call you immediately?"

"I sent those messages a while ago."

"My phone was on vibrate, I'm sorry hyung.  I didn't want to be disturbed.  What's wrong?"

"What are you planning Jiyong?"

"I'm up to nothing."

"You're lying.  I got a call from Kyungil and he told me you were wondering about the girl who owned the bookstore by the new bath house.  Why did you need Kyungil to get you information on her?"

"Well because Kyungil knows a lot of people and he's always been good with being discreet," Jiyong replied.  Mentally, he strangled and castrated the too pretty model and his big mouth.  "And I wanted some information on her."

"Kyungil is worried."  Jiyong listened to Seunghyun hesitate.  "He's worried about you.  I'm worried about you."

"There's nothing to worry about."

"He told me that she's half Korean and half American."

"Yes she is.  What else did he tell you?"

"Nothing else but that's not the point Jiyong.  The point is that you guys were kids back then.  There's no reason for you to carry such guilt.  That was years ago.  Everyone else has seem to have forgotten about it.  Let it go."

"It's easier said than done, hyung."  Jiyong didn't want to listen to Seunghyun's lecture.  He was fully aware of the fact that everyone had forgotten about it but he didn't.  He couldn't forget about it.  He lived with the memories.  It haunted him and the guilt ate him up.  Leaning forward, Jiyong pressed his forehead against the steering wheel and closed his eyes.  "You just don't understand Seunghyun.  There's this sadness in her eyes and I need...no I want to make it disappear."

"Jiyong-ah."

"Listen, I just have to do this.  I need to help her to help me.  Trust me," Jiyong pleaded quietly.  He looked up and watched the said girl finally stepped out of the bookstore.  She was bundled up in a thick practical coat, a hat covering her beautiful hair and a scarf wrapped around her.  Jiyong watched as Sophia locked the door and begin to walk away only to turn back around and try the lock again.  She grabbed a hold of the door knob, jiggled it and pushed.  "I have to go.  I'll talk to you later," he rushed Seunghyun.

"Ji-"

"Just trust me."  Turning off the engine, Jiyong opened the car door and the warmth that he had been cocooned in was quickly replaced with the icy cold winter breeze.  Quickly, he slipped out of the car and gently closed the door. 

Sophia tossed the keys into her purse and extracted her thick gloves.  It's really cold.  Too cold.  She thought as she tugged on her gloves - completely unaware of the white Bentley or that the owner was making his way across the street towards her.

"Hey."  It was soft and she almost hadn't heard it due to her cotton hat covering her ears.  Looking up she found Jiyong standing beside her with a grin.  She gave a yell of surprise and clutched her heart.  Her breaths were short and shallow.  "Sorry I didn't mean to scare you."

"It seems that you have this habit of scaring me.  I actually think you enjoy it," Sophia retorted irritably.  She eyed him and realized he was dressed in only a sweater and jeans.  "You must be freezing," she exclaimed.  "What are you doing out here wearing that?"

"I was actually waiting for you."

"For me?  Why?  You didn't wait out here the entire time did you?"

"No.  My car is over there," he answered with a nod towards the white car.

"A Bentley.  Nice," Sophia retorted with a nod of approval.  "It fits you well."

"I thought the same thing.  Hence me buying it."

"Handsome, rich, cocky and smooth," Sophia muttered.  He was everything she wanted to stay away from.  She had already learned that lesson.  "Remember Soph.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."

"What'd you say?"

"Nothing.  You didn't answer my question."

"Well it's hard to keep track of all the questions you fired at me.  Which question was that?"

"Why?  Why are you waiting for me?"

"Because I never paid for the coffee or the muffins," Jiyong stated.  Although what he said was true, he was lying.  He didn't know how to explain that he wanted to see her again without scaring her.

"It's fine.  It was just coffee and if you remember correctly, I gave you the muffins.  You never ordered them.  I wanted you to try them."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why did you want me to try them?"

"Because they're good," Sophia stated nervously.  She hoped he didn't see through her lie.  She wasn't going to come out and say that she had needed a reason to go back into the kitchen.  She had needed to step away from him because his presence shook the walls she had enclosed around her.  That since she had seen him two weeks ago, she thought about him almost daily and wondered if he would show up.  If she revealed that then it would only feed his ego and from what Sophia could see - Jiyong didn't need the ego boost. 

"You're lying," Jiyong guessed.  He was picking up the signs that she wasn't being honest with him rather quickly.  She had a habit of clenching and unclenching her fist and the then there was the tattle tell sign of her not meeting his eyes.  Yes, she was lying to him and he smirked.  "You like me.  That's why you gave me the muffins."

"What?" Sophia scoffed.  "Me like you?  Please.  I gave you the muffins because you're too skinny."

"Skinny?  I'm not skinny.  I'm slim."

"Skinny.  Slim.  Same difference."

"You wanted to feed me.  You care about me.  You like me," Jiyong grinned while Sophia rolled her eyes.  "You don't have to admit it.  Your actions speak louder."

"I prefer my guys with a little more meat.  I'm not into skin and bones."

"You want to fatten me up because you care about me," Jiyong goaded.  "See I was right.  You already love me."

"I actually don't ever plan on joining your list of conquests and as I'll say it again.  You are not my type.  You can stop trying."

"I think you're wrong.  I'm exactly what you want.  You're just in denial," Jiyong stated simply and Sophia sputtered noisily.  Jiyong honestly had no idea what he was saying but he loved baiting her.  There was a fire inside of her that he admired and as long as he kept her mad, she wasn't sad.  He'd do anything to keep her from being sad.

"I know exactly what I want and you aren't it," Sophia replied.  The cold of winter nipped at her and she shivered.  "I'm sorry to cut this lovely conversation short but it's quite cold out here.  I don't know if you've noticed but it is winter."

"Winter, you say?"  Jiyong looked around dramatically and nodded.  "I didn't notice."

"Clearly," she said.  Sophia eyed the expensive looking sweater, jeans and the fancy shoes.  He had to be freezing, she thought.  "Well it's been lovely chatting with you but I'm going to leave now.  I hope you enj-"

"Where's your car?"  Jiyong interrupted after looking around.  He hadn't noticed until now that his car was the only one parked nearby.

"I don't have a car."

"How far do you live?  How do you get home?"

"Now who's the shooting questions?"  Sophia crossed her arms and smirked.  "It's really none of your business but I walk home."

"Walk home?"  Jiyong exploded.  "Do you know what time it is?"

"Yes, I'm very aware of what time it is and you're the one keeping me from going home."

"I'll take you home."

"What?  No," she exclaimed.  "I've walked home later than this."

"Then I'll walk you home.  How far do you live?"

"You're not walking me home."

"Then I'm giving you a ride," he commanded and Sophia shook her head stubbornly.

"Absolutely not."

"Then I'm walking you home."

"Why are you so adamant about this?"

"Because as you mentioned earlier - it's winter - and it's close to midnight.  I don't feel comfortable knowing you're walking home alone."

"I don't give a flying what you feel comfortable with or not.  What I do is none of your concern."

"What is it going to be?  Am I giving you a ride or am I walking you home?"  Sophia stared at Jiyong.  She was completely astonished that he had ignored what she had just said entirely.  Fury spread through her and she no longer felt the bitter cold. 

"Did you not hear what I just said?  I said that what I do is none of your concern."

"Yes I heard you and I chose to ignore you," Jiyong shoved his cold hands into his pocket and waited.  Sophia scowled at the man.  They stood there, with her glaring at him and him staring right back.  "So I figure since you haven't answered.  I'm walking you home.  Which way is it?"

"But you're wearing nothing more than a sweater and jeans.  It's freezing," Sophia pointed out.  "You're going to get yourself sick."

"I'm giving you a ride home then," he replied through chattering teeth.  He was trying hard to hide the fact that he was turning into a human ice cube.

"But-"

"Listen, it's freezing out here.  I'll let you pick.  Do you want to walk or get a ride?  Either way, I'm going to walk with you or drive you.  Quit being hard headed about this and just accept the help."

"Fine," Sophia spat back.  Turning on her heal, she crossed the street towards where the expensive car sat.  Jiyong gave a sigh of relief.  He was positive that if she had chosen to walk home he was going to die of hypothermia.  Quickly, he shuffled around to the passenger side, unlocked it and opened the door.  Running back to the driver side, he slide in, shut the door and started the car.  Neither of them spoke.  Sophia stared ahead and Jiyong rubbed his hands for some warmth while the car warmed up.  "I'm sorry."

Jiyong had bent down to blow into his hands and stopped at the soft voice.  Turning, he looked at her to find that she was still looking straight ahead.  Unsure if he had imagined it, he asked, "What?"

"I'm sorry.  I know you're just trying to be helpful and I do appreciate it.  It's just -" Sophia couldn't find the right words.  After struggling for a bit, she gave up and shrugged.

"It's just that you're a very independent and you hate asking for help?  That if you do ask for help, you've failed and if you fail then it shows that you're weak."  Jiyong finished for her and Sophia said nothing.  "It's ok."  He got nothing more but a frown.  He didn't push for her to say something.  He understood her completely.  He understood her resistance, her need to be strong and he admired her for it even more.  Stealing a glance at her, Jiyong frowned.  There was a look of sadness covering her face and he noticed her lips trembling.  With the car finally warmed up, he pulled away from the curb and chose a direction since she hadn't spoken. 

How is it that he knows me so well?  Sophia wondered if she was so easy to read.  His comment had left her feeling open and vulnerable.  How did he know?  Since she had taken over her uncle's bookstore and his debt, she's felt like she was failing.    There had been a sense of despair that followed her around and the never ending stack of bills that arrived on a daily basis was a constant reminder that she was treading water.  She had been passing through each month on a shoe string budget.  Her father's warm voice echoed in her mind and she unhappily pursed her lips.  If you need anything Soph, just ask.  But she didn't want to ask.  Asking meant she failed and failure wasn't an option.  Too lost in her own thoughts, Sophia didn't notice that the car had begun to move.  It wasn't until she had heard Jiyong speak that she focused on what was happening around her.

"Since we've established that I'm taking you home.  Maybe you can tell me where home is."  He felt her jerk as his voice interrupted the silence and he smiled at her.  Passing under the street lights he could see the sadness in her eyes.  He really did dislike knowing when she was sad.  Jiyong pursed his lips and thought.  He'd resort to the only thing he knew to do when it came to getting her to stop being so sad.  "Or maybe you're so in love with me that you'd like to come back to my place?"  He would bait her and get her angry.  Feeling her fury was better than witnessing her unhappiness.  "I have to be quite honest though.  It's a little too soon for me.  I'm more of a dinner and movie person first.  But hey, I'll be more than happy to oblige if you want to come home with me," Jiyong stated indifferently and shrugged.

"You're just ridiculous, you know that right?"  Sophia snapped.  "I have absolutely no interest in you.  You're going the wrong way, so you'll need to turn around."

"There's no need for you to keep denying that you're attracted to me.  I won't hold it against you."  Jiyong did as she had instructed and turned around.  He could feel the anger radiating off of her.  Yes, anger was better.  "You'll have to tell me where to go."

"I think frogs are more attractive than you and I hate frogs," Sophia lied smoothly.  She did hate frogs but she wasn't going to tell him that she had found him to be attractive.  That would only fill his head with more hot air.  She stared out the passenger side window.  It was beginning to snow again.  The flakes were big and fluffy.  Soon, the city was going to be covered in another layer of white.  "Keep going straight.  Once you get to the stop lights, make a left."

"You may think that a frog is more attractive than me but you care about me."  Sophia scoffed.

"How did you even come to that conclusion?"

"You worried about me.  Everyone knows that once someone starts to care - it'll eventually turn to love."

"You're in nothing more than a sweater and jeans and it's freezing outside," she exclaimed heatedly.  "And you're mistaken.  The truth is that I just didn't want to feel guilty if you got sick."

"Would you?"

"Would I what?"

"Feel guilty?"  Jiyong wanted to know the truth.  He couldn't understand why it mattered so much to him - but it did.

"I would," she answered honestly.  "Even though you're an arrogant jack-"

"See," he interrupted.  "You do care."

"I don't even know you enough to care about you.  I've only met you twice."  And yet you're in his car, Sophia's mind pointed out.  It caused her to scowl. 

"I can remedy that."

"What?  What do you mean?  Remedy what?"

"We could get to know each other more," Jiyong stated and Sophia turned to look at him.

"Why would we do that?"

"Because I'd like to get to know you more," he replied quietly.  He slowly pulled up to the stop light and made a left.  "Where to now?"

"You're going to go down a bit past the little bakery and then make a right," she directed and Jiyong nodded.  "Why?  Didn't your minion give you all my information already?"  Sophia muttered bitterly and at her comment, Jiyong remembered the reason for his visit in the first place.

"He didn't get me much information about you but since you've brought it up.  I have to remind you that you still owe me for my new found single lifestyle."

"I still don't understand why you're pinning the blame on me but please tell me.  What is it that you'd like me to do?"

"Since you asked so nicely, I'll explain.  You see, Christmas is less than two weeks away and every year, my family has a get together.  This year they were expecting me to bring my girlfriend and well now - I'm single."

"And you want me to do what?  Ask your ex to go back to you?  Because if that's what you want me to do, I can tell you exactly what you can do with that idea."

"I broke it off with Eun Jung, not the other way around.  Don't feel bad about it either.  I was going to break up with her eventually."

"Then I really don't see why you're blaming me for you new found single status.  The way I see it - I did you a favor.  She was too snobby anyways."

"But it really wasn't a favor because I will now have to show up to my family's Christmas party without a girlfriend.  Do you know what I'm going to be subjected to?" Jiyong questioned her painfully.  "Hours of never ending questions and everyone will try and set me up with anything that has two legs.  So because you owe me, I think you should accompany me to this party and save me the embarrassment of being single at Christmas time once again."

"You want me to do what?"

"Go to my family Christmas party with me."

"And how do you know I don't already have plans for Christmas?"

"Do you?"  Jiyong hadn't thought about that possibility at all.

"No, but just because I don't have any plans doesn't mean that I'd want to spend the holidays with you.  Plus what do I get out of this?"

"My company isn't enough for you?" he teased and Sophia rolled her eyes.  "Well if you go with me to this Christmas party then I'll pay off all of your uncle's debt."

"You've got to be kidding me?"  Sophia had never felt so insulted.  "This was the deal you mentioned earlier wasn't it?"

"Yes," Jiyong answered.  There was a chill in the air and it wasn't because of the weather.  Her voice dripped with ice.  He couldn't understand why though.  "Think about it.  It's the perfect deal.  You're not doing anything and I need a date.  You need the money and I don't want to be set up with all the single people that my family knows.  I really don't want that."

"I really don't see why you'd have an issue with it, considering the fact that you'd probably like anything that walked."

"That was harsh.  You know, I'm not as horrible as you make me sound.  I do have standards."  Sophia scoffed and it shocked Jiyong.  "You don't believe me?"

"You'll have to forgive me, but no I don't believe you.  I've met guys like you and all of you are the same thing - trouble."

"And you're so quick to judge me because of someone in your past?  You're quite a bitter person."  Jiyong arched an eyebrow.  Slowing down once again, he made a right and waited for her next instructions.

"Just go straight.  It's going to run right up to the driveway of my apartment building," Sophia directed.  "And I'm not bitter.  I'm just cautious.  Not just someone.  I grew up with overly cocky s like you."

"Just like me?  Please elaborate what you mean when you say they're all like me?"

"You know exactly what I mean.  Guys like you.  Rich little boys who get whatever they want without even trying.  Full of arrogance, cocky to a fault and expect everyone to just grovel at your feet because you come from money.  You toss things aside when you've become bored with them and then you go around looking for the next thing to interest you.  You think that money fixes everything.  You bribe your way through life with money because that's all you know.  Well you know what?  Money doesn't always make things better and I'm not going to be some puppet for you to play with.  I'm not going to degrade myself because you're bored with your life.  You're just some rich spoiled brat."

"Is that what you think of me?  That I'm this rich guy who's bored with life?"  Jiyong was shocked at her opinion of him.  He never wanted to prove someone wrong as much as he wanted to at this moment.  "Just because I offered to pay off all your debt, you think that I'm just flaunting my money around?  You're wrong and I'm going to prove it to you."

"Really?  How do you plan on doing that?  By paying me one hundred thousand wons because your bratty of an ex-girlfriend called me a honhyol instead of making her apologize?  By driving me home in your expensive car?  How is offering to pay off my debt going to prove me wrong?"  She snapped angrily.  Sophia released a sigh of relief when she spied the large apartment complex she lived in.  Neither one spoke as they crept up slowly to the drive way.

Jiyong pursed his lips furiously as he pulled into the short drive way.  He had to convince her before she left.  Tonight had not gone as he had planned.  She hadn't accepted his offer as willingly as he had imagined.  She should've been grateful.  Instead she was beyond pissed.  Jiyong needed to make it right.  He thought about the first time he had seen her.  It had been sometime after Eun Jung had shown up and he had gotten bored with her whining.  Sophia had caught him staring and Jiyong hadn't looked away but neither did she.  She was up for a challenge.  She liked challenges.  All he had to do was make his offer into a challenge.  She didn't seem to be one who would turn down a dare too easily.  Jiyong smiled as he formulated another plan.  He couldn't let her turn him down.  "I bet you that I can change your opinion of me."

"What?" Sophia couldn't believe her ears.

"You heard me," Jiyong tested.  "I bet I can change your opinion of me by Christmas.  I dare you."

"What are you?  Ten?"  Sophia was never one to turn down a challenge but she knew she should turn him down.  He was nothing but trouble - he was everything she should stay away from but there was something that drew him to her.  He made her comfortable in a foreign land.  He made her laugh and he confused the out of her.

"Mentally," Jiyong answered and shrugged.  "So what do you say?  Are you up for the challenge?"

"Let's say, I accept.  What do I get if you don't change my opinion of you by Christmas time?" she tested out.

"If I don't change your opinion of me by the time my family's party, I'll pay off all of your uncle's debt and then leave you alone."

"Are you sure you can do that?"  Sophia joked.  Jiyong arched an eyebrow and smirked.

"You're questioning how much money I have now?  Didn't you just call me a spoiled rich brat earlier?" Jiyong teased and Sophia let out a frustrated sigh.

"That's not what I meant.  I wasn't questioning your financial status.  I was making a joke about whether or not you'd be able to leave me alone," Sophia attempted to explain.  She felt like an idiot.  Sigh, she pursed her lips and looked away.  "Never mind...just never mind.  Forget that I said anything.  It was supposed to be a joke."

"Oh," was all Jiyong could say.  The silence in the car was overbearing.  "I don't think I would."

"What?"

"I don't think I'd be able to leave you alone.  I mean I would because of the bet but I'd wonder about you," he replied honestly.  Jiyong felt embarrassed.  He wasn't thinking when he confessed.  He felt exposed.  He could feel his cheeks burn.

"I see."  Sophia didn't know what to say to his admission.

"So what do you say?  Give me until Christmas."

"What do you get if you do succeed?"  Sophia was too afraid to think about the possibility of him changing her opinion of him.

"A date.  A real one," Jiyong whispered softly.  "With you."

……..

"It's alright Jieun-ah.  I can close up tonight.  Go home before the snow storm hits," Sophia directed to the young girl.  "Go.  I'll be ok."

"Okay," Jieun stated before slipping off her half apron.

"Once you get home, please call me.  I just want to know that you got home safely."

"Alright Sophia.  Good night.  Don't stay too long.  I hear it's going to be a horrible snow storm.  You should just close now and Seungho can give you a ride home," she offered and Sophia silently laughed to herself at the mention of Jieun's boyfriend.

"I'm fine but I think I will close early tonight.  I'm just going to finish cleaning up here and then I'll be heading home as well.  You can go home."

"Okay," the younger one replied warily.  "Just call me if you need a ride.  I really don't like knowing you walk all the way home."

"Alright, Jieun.  I will call if I need anything.  Now go," Sophia ushered the girl out and locked the door.  With a sigh, she reached into her apron pocket and pulled out her phone.  One missed call.  Her heart beat rapidly as she flicked the screen and frowned once she saw the unknown number.  That was when she noticed that they had left a message in her voicemail.  Gingerly, she called the voicemail and typed in her pass code.

"Miss Yejin," Sophia's frown deepened when she heard her Korean name being used.  "This is Park Chang Seon from Shinhan Financial Group.  It is important that you call me back as soon as you receive this message.  It pertains to your property on Eulji Road.  You can reach me at eight two two three four four nine eight three eight zero.  Extension three sixty four.  I will be in the office until six p.m.  Once again, it is urgent that you call me."

Sophia listened to the message again, this time she took out her note pad and jot down the number.  She felt chilled to the bone.  Sophia already knew what the call was about.  It was another bill collector hoping to get some more money out of her.  Sadly, she remembered the stack of bills sitting on her desk at home and she could feel the tears threatening to spill.  She really had no options left.  Admit defeat to the creditors milking her dry or ask for help and live with the sense of failure?  Either way her pride was going to take a beating.  She couldn't call her father and ruin his vacation.  He would demand that she return home immediately.  What else could she do?  Sophia then remembered the man with the pink hair and infectious grin and his deal.

Looking up, she checked the time.  Five thirty in the afternoon.  Sophia glared down at number scrawled across the notepad.  Scowling, she picked up her phone once more and made the call.


Clearly, I didn't make my own deadline and it's past New Year's but I do plan on finishing this.  I've also decided to change this to a four chapter fic because this chapter took so long.  I really hope you enjoyed it.